Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Hiring only Rocket was the worst idea as well since he took a fun game and turned it into a boring autist "survival" simulator (or it would be if you didn't die because reasons).

This makes up for it tbh

DayZ (where you can jump from server to server keeping all your stuff) literally would not function without the server setup that a goon wrote in the very early days of the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lmao. That's amazing Jones, who was it?

My favorite part of the DayZ SA drama was rocket and his pops going to climb Everest for 2 months like two weeks after the game released to EA.

While this game built off of sensations first experienced in the DayZ mod, the similarities end there. At least with regard to how the development is going to go. I'm not worried at all about this game becoming better and better. If youve built your PC in the last 4-5 years you're gonna be fine.

Also don't be an autist.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

The circle system as a whole discourages long term camping. I tend to avoid compounds/cities when the circle doesn't force me into them, outside of the looting phase, of course. I'd still continue to do that in first person only servers.

In any case, this argument is getting a little tiresome. Clearly 3rd person will never get taken away, but first person only will be added in the future. Your crusade to convince everyone that first person only is the way to play all video games because a Youtube poster made a video about it is falling on deft ears. I don't think anyone is failing to understand what makes the 3rd person perspective so strong, but as long as it is a level playing field who cares?

Because the gameplay of standing behind a tree and seeing where people are without any risk is not interesting to me.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I think you'll find that DayZ has come a very long way since I first played it years ago. No other game even comes close in my opinion. Now with the big Enforce Script merge we should see a big backlog of poo poo finally make it in. I am super excited to see the new player controller in action as well, that is going to make such a difference in the jankiness of the current gameplay.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah Enforce script is totally coming any day I heard so in the last ten dev updates.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
DayZ is on track at five years. I've yet to see any convincing evidence that its strongest critics really understand how games are made or are willing to concede good faith in their interpretation of the development process.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

DayZ is on track at five years. I've yet to see any convincing evidence that its strongest critics really understand how games are made or are willing to concede good faith in their interpretation of the development process.

As evidenced here people don't understand development at all and often say things like "most players would like..." Not understanding that if you develop for the express desires of the community you end up with a garbage game because people often want what is easy and fun but that often removes compelling, and fair gameplay.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I actually found a DayZ thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595380 :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I mean, you literally couldn't figure out how to punch, then you drew a picture for someone who said they liked third person. I once heard a saying about pots and kettles, but I forgot how it went.

:nallears:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

drat i can't believe people don't like *insert game here* because they don't understand game development #woah

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm just quoting out of that exact thread :ssh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Lmao. That's amazing Jones, who was it?

I don't know if they want to be known publicly (they probably post in this thread).

Fun fact: players used to have access to the main server for the first several days/week (including the ability to read data off of it, meaning tents and vehicle coordinates were able to be found wherever they were as they were written to the server) until they took a look at Rocket's setup, went "What the gently caress are you doing?" and wrote it so that only server IPs could access it.

If you open up the original DayZ server PBO (it might be the hive.dll come to think of it) there's a username and password that's used to connect to the master server.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 15, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm just quoting out of that exact thread :ssh:

Bamboozled again!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think I'd prefer the game in first person but I don't know that I'll play on hardcore servers for it.

Right now my biggest gripe is the looting. Just get rid of the pickup animations altogether so I don't have to drag items for optimal efficiency.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

It's by far the best game in the genre but it still has a long way to go before it is a good game by itself.

-performance optimization
-network optimization.
-vehicle networking
-serverside hit reg
-Fov
-Hardcore
-more obvious or explained mechanics
-Melee overhaul
-grenade overhaul

And much more

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm glad your knowledge of game development is leading me to the promised land of gamerdom.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We should gather all of these experts and make our own game. Some kind of time traveling adventure.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hey this game looks like a blast!
Is it work $30 or is it broken trash?
Do I get to keep it forever and how long do we think it'll be until it gets polished up?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

It's by far the best game in the genre but it still has a long way to go before it is a good game by itself.

-performance optimization
-network optimization.
-vehicle networking
-serverside hit reg
-Fov
-Hardcore
-more obvious or explained mechanics
-Melee overhaul
-grenade overhaul

And much more

The other night I pulled a grenade to throw and held it as I waited for the best angle to throw (my framerate was having another random seizure I get with this game) and suddenly exploded. My duo team died at 7th place for no reason because of this :smith:

Reminder everyone: when you pull a grenade, that safety spoon has left the station.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I always thought that type of grenade in the game only primed till you lifted the leaver not just pulled the pin

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Do I get to keep it forever and how long do we think it'll be until it gets polished up?

Yes you get to keep it forever (why wouldn't you?), yes it's fun, and yes it still needs work that the devs seem to be on top of. The two hour cutoff for a refund is enough for a few games to see if its for you.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
44 Top 10 and no wins on solo now. Just can seem to piece together the final few kills. I have no idea how people win with zero kills.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Raged posted:

44 Top 10 and no wins on solo now. Just can seem to piece together the final few kills. I have no idea how people win with zero kills.

Dumb luck, mostly.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Get an early car, drive to the very center of the white circle and find an innocuous little building to camp in, get lucky with circle placement.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
First person, third person.. It all pales to the fact weapons dont default to full auto. :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Raged posted:

Got a second place with zero kills yesterday, should have been an easy win but I managed to fumble the one dude I actually needed to kill

It's not that hard, you just have to draw all the inspiration you can from our friend animal the rat (and be lucky with the circle placements)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Raged posted:

My 2 squadmates once went on to win a game after 2 of us had died. The final 2 minutes consisted of some house campers sniping everyone in the white circle, then promptly dying to the playzone, presumably because they were too cowardly to move out. Then my friends just barely made it to the white circle. They won with 0 kills.

I really have a special hatred for the people who stay behind to die in the moving blue circle to shoot the people who are actually trying to win

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Oovee posted:

First person, third person.. It all pales to the fact weapons dont default to full auto. :(

This was me when I started until I learned to take a breath in a shootout and aim. Single shot is way more useful in everything but a close in fight.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yesterday I parachuted into a very unfortunate location which wound up being on the other side of the map from the play area, I got a lot of loot and hightailed it to the nearest town where I heard some gunfire, thought I wouldn't make it to the zone and that finding a vehicle was my only hope. Got into a gunfight which I won but then I was heavily injured and the electricity started, figured I was a goner anyway so I primed a grenade and jumped on it. A nano-second after the death screen shows up I hear a vehicle coming up from behind me driving towards the safe zone.

Not a big difference but at least I could've made a last stand.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

VikingSkull posted:

This was me when I started until I learned to take a breath in a shootout and aim. Single shot is way more useful in everything but a close in fight.

Nothing like mag dumping a dude with an uzi early game though

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Just started playing and I'm awful, but I had an awesome moment where I was holed up in a second story building and someone was up against the wall on the ground floor. I took a running leap off the balcony, landed right next to them, and shot them point blank with a shotgun.

I promptly died a minute later as I took a sprint for the white zone but oh well.

Is there a decent description of the types of guns and attachments somewhere? I don't get a ton of practice with any weapons before I die, so it's hard to get a feel for how the various assault rifles, shotguns, etc compare to each other and what the differences of various attachments are (angled vs vertical grios, red dot vs holo scope, various supressors, etc).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Aranan posted:

Just started playing and I'm awful, but I had an awesome moment where I was holed up in a second story building and someone was up against the wall on the ground floor. I took a running leap off the balcony, landed right next to them, and shot them point blank with a shotgun.

I promptly died a minute later as I took a sprint for the white zone but oh well.

Is there a decent description of the types of guns and attachments somewhere? I don't get a ton of practice with any weapons before I die, so it's hard to get a feel for how the various assault rifles, shotguns, etc compare to each other and what the differences of various attachments are (angled vs vertical grios, red dot vs holo scope, various supressors, etc).

You could just read the OP.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

You're confused... and scared. But it's okay.
Even after seeing that image explaining bullet sounds, I don't think I will ever be able to find someone who is shooting at me unless I see them first. Even with headphones on, I just can't find the shooter. I suck, yes, and it's frustrating.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Maybe a decade of cs has mutated my brain or something, but I think the directional sound in this game is completely fine and I've had zero problems finding the source of shots- heck, sometimes it's impressively good in that you can even hear if the shots coming from X direction is from behind a hill or not'

the only thing that sometimes fucks me up is that the directional audio is based on your model's position (which is probably for the best), so if you're third person it's not quite accurate, which is especially noticeable when you're in a car and you zoom past someone firing at you

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Game is well worth thirty bux with a developer that's on top of poo poo with a decent goon crew.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

VulgarandStupid posted:

You could just read the OP.

That did set me straight on the grips and suppressors, but a lot of stuff still doesn't have any description. I found an attachments list on a PUB wiki, but it has next to no information. http://battlegrounds.gamepedia.com/Attachments

Some of it is obvious (magazines, scopes, it has descriptions for shotgun bullet loops) but others are a little more vague and I haven't been able to mess with them enough in-game to see wtf they do.

What do stocks (sniper rifle cheek pad, micro uzi stock, composite stock for assault rifles, tactical stock for M16) do? Is there a difference between holographic sights and red dot sights other than the visual effect?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Aranan posted:

That did set me straight on the grips and suppressors, but a lot of stuff still doesn't have any description. I found an attachments list on a PUB wiki, but it has next to no information. http://battlegrounds.gamepedia.com/Attachments

Some of it is obvious (magazines, scopes, it has descriptions for shotgun bullet loops) but others are a little more vague and I haven't been able to mess with them enough in-game to see wtf they do.

What do stocks (sniper rifle cheek pad, micro uzi stock, composite stock for assault rifles, tactical stock for M16) do? Is there a difference between holographic sights and red dot sights other than the visual effect?

Pretty much everything is recoil. Sights are just sights they don't change the gun handling at all.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I prefer holographic sights because they are much cuter than red dots. Also it sounds way more complex than a basic rear end red dot

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Nothing like mag dumping a dude with an uzi early game though

If you can find a stock, mag, and muzzle, the Uzi stays great throughout the game. Had a team sneak up on us in the last dozen people the other night and I killed three off one mag in a couple seconds at close range; my surviving teammate was telling me to take cover so he could hunt the rest down not understanding that the Uzi had sprayed them all down that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

aniviron posted:

If you can find a stock, mag, and muzzle, the Uzi stays great throughout the game. Had a team sneak up on us in the last dozen people the other night and I killed three off one mag in a couple seconds at close range; my surviving teammate was telling me to take cover so he could hunt the rest down not understanding that the Uzi had sprayed them all down that fast.

poo poo man I think that was my friends and I. I learnt about the mac10 that night.

• Locked thread