Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

rydiafan posted:

I had forgotten about that! Can somebody post it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

dpack_1 posted:

Logical Conclusion:

haha I can't believe how much real estate he has there.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Obvious nipple aside, it's clear the 'artist' has no idea on tattoo theory either.

Faces should pretty much always face 'forward' on the body, or if on the front / back then they should face toward the centre.

It works well in the good pierce because of that, in the copy it's all facing backwards and of course is just terribad poo poo.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Hah, I'd forgotten about that one.

There was another where she took a picture of it at an angle, and the knock-off one was deformed because it was obviously traced at that angle. I know it was earlier in this thread, but I can't find it for the life of me. It was a cat, I think?

bingo!
vv

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Apr 15, 2017

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

hyperhazard posted:

Hah, I'd forgotten about that one.

There was another where she took a picture of it at an angle, and the knock-off one was deformed because it was obviously traced at that angle. I know it was earlier in this thread, but I can't find it for the life of me. It was a cat, I think?

https://instagram.com/p/BIQ8kkqgilZ/

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

drat, they even copied the arrow.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I am unreasonably disappointed

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

That guys instagram is gold. Never skip lat day.
:nws: for awesome boobs https://www.instagram.com/p/21eI3ajWfG/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shark headed dog riding a surfboard through space?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Shark headed dog riding a surfboard through space?

This with a shark head.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Barudak posted:

Why is the semicolon wrong?

This is addressed earlier in the thread but the semicolon was popularized after a viral story a few years ago where the original tattoo owner shared it was her way of coming to terms with surviving a suicide attempt (semicolons indicate a pause in a sentence, but not a full stop). Some argue getting a tattoo representing someone else's personal experience because it mirrors your own is tasteless, some feel it's thoughtlessly overused. Then you have the overall issue of so many being poorly done, inexcusably so for what seems to be a simple design. Sadly she did commit suicide in the past few months, so a recent semicolon tattoo may come off tasteless for that reason.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its supposed to be where a sentence could have ended, but didn't.

But that's not what a semicolon does. Its not for a pause. Its to connect two related but seperate clauses.

Its a weird situation where the definition the tattoo havers are going with sort of fits if you squint hard enough. Its a bit dumb but gaining popularity among people who couldn't use it in a essay without getting circled in red ink. Mostly now its almost but not nearly as popular as an anchor or a dandy lion blowing into birds generic suburban 20s tattoo. Like the tramp stamp of the late 90s. Its a fad.

I could get a period and say. "that part of my life is over. I'm starting a new sentence." Which to me is just valid as "it means a sentence could have ended, but didn't" only it actually fits grammer.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I'm trying to find an picture of a tattoo that I saw on here a while ago. It's super simple line work, no shading. A dude that looks like a neckless yeti on a skateboard with his head turned 180 degrees and there might be pizza or text involved? It looked sort of like a kid's drawing. Linework was solid, it was just really odd and general consensus was that it rocked. Would love artist name too if possible. Thanks in advance!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

porkswordonboard posted:

I'm trying to find an picture of a tattoo that I saw on here a while ago. It's super simple line work, no shading. A dude that looks like a neckless yeti on a skateboard with his head turned 180 degrees and there might be pizza or text involved? It looked sort of like a kid's drawing. Linework was solid, it was just really odd and general consensus was that it rocked. Would love artist name too if possible. Thanks in advance!
Is it a tattoo of this?

e: so this

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

captainOrbital posted:

Why is it that only the people that have poo poo that's not worth stealing are plastering their IGs with watermarks?

I wouldn't be surprised that they think their work is good enough that the images will get 'stolen' for listicles by websites like Buzzfeed, 9Gag, Bored Panda, The Chive etc and no one will know who did it and that just wouldn't be fair!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thank you!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bombadilillo posted:

But that's not what a semicolon does. Its not for a pause. Its to connect two related but seperate clauses.

Its a weird situation where the definition the tattoo havers are going with sort of fits if you squint hard enough. Its a bit dumb but gaining popularity among people who couldn't use it in a essay without getting circled in red ink. Mostly now its almost but not nearly as popular as an anchor or a dandy lion blowing into birds generic suburban 20s tattoo. Like the tramp stamp of the late 90s. Its a fad.

I could get a period and say. "that part of my life is over. I'm starting a new sentence." Which to me is just valid as "it means a sentence could have ended, but didn't" only it actually fits grammer.

You motherfucker.

You did that on purpose, didn't you?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barudak posted:

Why is the semicolon wrong?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is addressed earlier in the thread but the semicolon was popularized after a viral story a few years ago where the original tattoo owner shared it was her way of coming to terms with surviving a suicide attempt (semicolons indicate a pause in a sentence, but not a full stop). Some argue getting a tattoo representing someone else's personal experience because it mirrors your own is tasteless, some feel it's thoughtlessly overused. Then you have the overall issue of so many being poorly done, inexcusably so for what seems to be a simple design. Sadly she did commit suicide in the past few months, so a recent semicolon tattoo may come off tasteless for that reason.

Bombadilillo posted:

Sorry for not answering the question earlier, Barudak. I posted that tattoo not too long after a thread conversation about semi-colon tattoos and their symbolism, so I thought you were asking why it was wrong as in why was it backwards, in which case the answer would have been 'it was taken in a mirror'

Like the above posters said, semi-colons are a modern tattoo trend/fad representing a fight with mental illness and having made it past a suicide attempt [e] or a serious contemplation of attempting suicide [/e]. The reasoning behind it is that suiciding would be the end to your sentence; a semi-colon, therefore, which continues a sentence but does not end it, represents moving past that potential full-stop instead. It's really not a great analogy though because like Bombadillo said a semi-colon function is linking two separate and related sentences, rather than indicating a pause followed by a continuation, which is more of a comma thing.

There's any number of different reasons, several mentioned by SGP and Bombadillo, why this is silly or misguided, but as another grammer [sic] nerd, tattooing a misunderstanding of a semi-colon's function stands out to me :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I think a . or , or even ... would fit the meaning better. I begrudingly admit that artistically those are harder to recognize as punctuation alone and out of context.

It just makes me want to "well actually thats not exactly what it means..."
:goonsay:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
What are we thinking, ellipses between the eyebrows?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The idea of getting the exact same tattoo as anyone else is just bonkers to me.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pastry of the Year posted:

The idea of getting the exact same tattoo as anyone else is just bonkers to me.

"I want to be different and unique, just like that cool person over there."

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

What are we thinking, ellipses between the eyebrows?

Behind the earlobe. That's new trendy tattoo place.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Elsa posted:

What, it's anatomy and art talk.

People keep being stunned about your wrong opinion of outlines.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I keep finding outline apologists and it wasn't intentional lol

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Elsa posted:

I keep finding outline apologists and it wasn't intentional lol

I never get whether you are being earnest or trolling in any of the threads you are in. But I'll bite.

Do you know the reason why tattoo artists more often then not favor bold linework and outlines? Like this is the kind of thing you can do a google search for and find the answer in the first few results.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm torn, because I've been suicidal in the past, but I'm also bitter rear end in a top hat so now I wonder if the semicolon girl's suicide note had good grammar.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

JuniperCake posted:

I never get whether you are being earnest or trolling in any of the threads you are in. But I'll bite.

Do you know the reason why tattoo artists more often then not favor bold linework and outlines? Like this is the kind of thing you can do a google search for and find the answer in the first few results.

Because they are like any other amateur artist and use lines as a crutch. Final answer

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Elsa posted:

Because they are like any other amateur artist and use lines as a crutch. Final answer

Are you actually this stupid?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
As someone who shotgunned this thread in one sitting this afternoon:

1. Yay, none of my ink showed up here
2. I've stopped using the ignore function, but PSOC and Elsa are making me reconsider
3. Last week I was in China and a Taiwanese engineer had a semicolon tattooed on her wrist which I wanted to comment on but didn't want to open that :can:. Finding out what happened to the progenitor was...yeah...
4. I could use more ink and that Bart Simpson/Stussy piece is right there...

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Somfin posted:

Are you actually this stupid?

yes I'm incredibly stupid

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
just unfathomably stupid are you upset

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm impressed you can form even semi coherent sentences with how dumb and wrong you are. Kudos to your teacher.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Outlines don't exist in real life so outlines suck in representational art.

I'm guessing I've found the thread with the tattoo artist goons

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Elsa posted:

This sure is an opinion.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Lifeglug posted:

This sure is an opinion.

There are borders between values and hues but no lines so it's actually a fact and not an opinion lol

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Elsa posted:

Elsa posted:

There are borders between values and hues but no lines so it's actually a fact and not an opinion lol

This can't be real. Is this a troll? This is a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

trapped mouse posted:

This can't be real. Is this a troll? This is a troll.

Very clearly yes.

Like, I can draw an outline around it if you want it any clearer.