Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Surely having more body mass helps you keep your firing platform more stable for follow up shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In RL, Soldiers shoot better with body armour out to 150 meters.

But of course this isn't RL, it's a mapcap combat simulator which like all grog games, goes into excruciating detail in some areas while being wildly unrealistic in others.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 17, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Phi230 posted:

Its not just speed. We wouldn't even be able to aim and shoot let alone do things like open doors or deploy bipods.

With 3CA it would take 3 full phases to deploy a bipod

A full phase to open a door etc...
Like, at all, or just very slowly? Does it matter how long it takes to aim and shoot if bullets are bouncing off our armor?

Are steroids available to speed up fitness training?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rockopolis posted:

Like, at all, or just very slowly? Does it matter how long it takes to aim and shoot if bullets are bouncing off our armor?

Are steroids available to speed up fitness training?

Yes it matters because despite wearing armor you still take blunt damage from being hit and can be knocked over. You also suffer action penalties for being shot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So like one of us would get shot and knocked over and roll on the ground because you can't get up like a turtle

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At this level of training, fitness, and skill level armor is a bad idea imo but if the people want it...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Haha, gotcha. Flexible armor didn't sound too bad at this level, seems pretty light, especially if we use it to replace clothes.
That's why it's called going commando, because it's high speed low drag.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

nothing to seehere posted:

In RL, Soldiers shoot better with body armour out to 150 meters.

But of course this isn't RL, it's a mapcap combat simulator which like all grog games, goes into excruciating detail in some areas while being wildly unrealistic in others.

Simulationist game systems are always amazing because there's a certain point at which they start simulating the disconnect between the assumptions of the game designers and reality, and they do it in excruciating detail.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

Simulationist game systems are always amazing because there's a certain point at which they start simulating the disconnect between the assumptions of the game designers and reality, and they do it in excruciating detail.

To be fair this game system was written 30 years ago and reflects the military scholarship of the time

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, the effectiveness, weight, and cost of body armour has gone waaaaay down in the past 20 years. And given they development of new M5 fibres which are stronger than the Kevlar/HMPE fibres which have been the workhorse for the last 50 years and just improved, it's going to get even better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

nothing to seehere posted:

Yea, the effectiveness, weight, and cost of body armour has gone waaaaay down in the past 20 years. And given they development of new M5 fibres which are stronger than the Kevlar/HMPE fibres which have been the workhorse for the last 50 years and just improved, it's going to get even better.

You mean effectiveness has gone way up.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I second the vote in favor of a steroid fitness regime for all soldiers as well as sending them into the AO naked for weight savings. We should think about amphetamines also to address their general sluggishness until their overall fitness improves. These might seem like drastic measures but really they're the only responsible thing to do.

It's becoming painfully obvious how we all failed out of basic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Look, if they wanted me to pass basic training the shouldn't have based us out of somewhere that had decent burgers and wings.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Zaodai posted:

Look, if they wanted me to pass basic training the shouldn't have based us out of somewhere that had decent burgers and wings.

Coming from you that's like Chad OchoCinco talking about he only eats McDonalds.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Grimace is the Fruity Rudy of this bunch of Army rejects.

I loving knew we should have gone with the communists

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Had slowly been catching up with the Strike Commander LP, didn't realize this was one too! Neato.

Signing up for reserves, callsign: Doomeye
Requested qual: Marksman

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If going into battle naked I would recommend at least a jock strap and/or sports bra. Otherwise I'm assuming there will be additional penalties around machinery, etc.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Honestly, flexible armor only slows us down a little and any protection is better than none.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
By the way, will our replacements be of a more variable quality, or is our PMC automatically mailing every army reject past 2021?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hell just give everyone medium flexible and a helmet except for Popete, who can stand at the back and use everyone else as armour.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Don't mess with the vest, scooter.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I second the vote in favor of a steroid fitness regime for all soldiers as well as sending them into the AO naked for weight savings. We should think about amphetamines also to address their general sluggishness until their overall fitness improves. These might seem like drastic measures but really they're the only responsible thing to do.

It's becoming painfully obvious how we all failed out of basic.

Also lack of good training montages.

Strrrrront
Feb 7, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Yes it matters because despite wearing armor you still take blunt damage from being hit and can be knocked over. You also suffer action penalties for being shot.

Wasn't there a whole mythbusters episode devoted to this with them trying to knock down a pig and failing?

edit: this is the closest thing I can find with 3 seconds of googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgZPusyLeMA

Also can there be a dorfing spreadsheet to avoid cluttering up the thread, because sign me up as another reserve.

Strrrrront fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 17, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Strrrrront posted:

Wasn't there a whole mythbusters episode devoted to this with them trying to knock down a pig and failing?

edit: this is the closest thing I can find with 3 seconds of googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgZPusyLeMA

Also can there be a dorfing spreadsheet to avoid cluttering up the thread, because sign me up as another reserve.

i think its supposed to be less movie style knock back where you fly a few feet, and more getting shot even with body armor sucks and hurts so you might fall down because of it.

like i remember a video from a few years back where some insurgent shot a soldier in body armor, and while the guy was completely unharmed he still fell to the ground after being hit before getting back up and running for cover.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

i think its supposed to be less movie style knock back where you fly a few feet, and more getting shot even with body armor sucks and hurts so you might fall down because of it.

like i remember a video from a few years back where some insurgent shot a soldier in body armor, and while the guy was completely unharmed he still fell to the ground after being hit before getting back up and running for cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMMSA3opBk4

Getting hit by a 7.62x54mm round knocks you on your rear end even if it doesn't penetrate your plate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The kinetic energy of the round still has to go somewhere. Even if it doesn't penetrate, you're taking the equivalent of a sledgehammer blow to the chest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Watching people intentionally getting shot while wearing armor is a fun time when nobody's dying. They usually underestimate just how much energy is hitting them and end up rolling around on the floor anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdX3hh3TgQQ

And sometimes, you get really lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbCK2Tb_i30&t=42s

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMMSA3opBk4

Getting hit by a 7.62x54mm round knocks you on your rear end even if it doesn't penetrate your plate.

yep, that's the video i was thinking of. getting shot sucks.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This game system looks absolutely insane. Fascinated to see what happens.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

I was going to make a joke about Grimace being used to waddling around, so I was looking to see if I could find where someone had photoshopped Grimace into being in military gear.

Instead, I found this which seems appropriate:

I ought to replace the skull with Grimace's face. Later.

Really, though, if the soldier wearing heavy rigid everything has to open doors for himself, you're doing it wrong. His job is to draw attention and fire, the rest of the team should be shooting anyone shooting him.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Being shot by a bullet doesn't make you fall over from the force of a bullet: This is obvious from conservation of motion. If you take a 11.7g 7.62x52 round going at 805 m/s, it's got 0.0117kg x 805 m/s = 9.4185 Ns of momentum. On a 80kg man, this translates to a speed of 0.00147 m/s: Basically no speed at all. People still do fall over after being shot, mostly because they think they should, and being thumped on the chest hard when off-balance is enough to throw you off and reinforce you're perception you should fall over.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

IMJack posted:

I ought to replace the skull with Grimace's face. Later.

Really, though, if the soldier wearing heavy rigid everything has to open doors for himself, you're doing it wrong. His job is to draw attention and fire, the rest of the team should be shooting anyone shooting him.

Oh god, is that a Skulldozer from Payday 2? :stonk: As long as they don't have explosives or poison crossbows we're fine.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

We got 7 of each of these guys. The AKM is actually slightly better against unarmored targets, and slightly more accurate! Ammo, however, is scarce for both. We'll have to hit the shop soon.

Additionally we sold off whatever intel and codebooks and other nerd poo poo we found for a whopping $5,000. Huge payday, maybe we can get Grimace's knee fixed by a pro.

We also acquired a...car.

We didn't get paid. However, we caught a bunch dudes. The Boss has been working them over for a few days. The Guards wouldn't budge so we let them loose somewhere in the mountains. However, the Techs turned coats pretty quick and joined up with our Chinese Comms Expert. It looks like he used company funds to buy a copy of Rosetta Stone: English for himself and his new crew. Whatever, we don't pay them anyway.

The Chinese government paid us $10,000 in ransom for the officer. Before we let him go, Commander Snake got some information out of him on who to contact to get some good high tech comms equipment from a guy that deals in that kind of thing. Turns out this officer has been pawning PLAAF equipment to people in Lhasa for years. We'll be contacting him soon.

Experience

Everyone gets a base 5 XP for completing the mission succesfully. Kills award more XP, and those who participated in CQB will be getting awarded more XP. Extra XP is awarded as follows.

Grimace Howlington III - 3XP (1x Technician Kill, 1x Guard Kill Assist, CQB Boost).
Snake Doctor - 2XP (1x Guard Kill)
Tesla Cola - 1.5XP (2x Guard Assist)
Spanky - 1XP (1x Guard Assist)
Actuary - 2XP (1x Guard Kill)
Dread - .5XP (1x Guard Assist)
Count - .5XP (1x Guard Assist)
Simpson McFish - 5 Medical XP (Treatment - Average Gunshot Wound)

Grimace begins leadership training since he has downtime, and his wound yet continues healing. The effect is lessened since it is self-taught. We have no facilities for training, nor trainers to teach them. Snake says he can "show the boys a thing or two" but nobody's seen him for days. In fact, we found this in the command tent...

This is uh...disconcerting.

Anyway, we're making the base all neat and tidy for our old pal who is coming up to visit this week. Be ready to give him a warm welcome.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 18, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If he's crazy even by Florida standards, he'll do fine in a war zone.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Phi230 posted:

This is uh...disconcerting.

Yeah, China's moose pasture expansion is bananas. Honestly, something's gotta give, and soon.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Escaped from an institution you say?

Yes I'm going to keep beating the dead horse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Random thought: would a soldier dressed in drag confuse the enemy enough to get a reaction bonus?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Add Fartin So Nasty to the roster, please. Preferably with a MAC-10. Also preferably a comms guy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Random thought: would a soldier dressed in drag confuse the enemy enough to get a reaction bonus?

Probably not in Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Aww maan, successful first aid doesn't get XP?

• Locked thread