Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I assume that there is a table of stick stats, complete with special rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

I am really down for us to determine squad leader rolls by non-lethal Thunderdome.

Like whomever gets knocked down first loses, and everyone wears heavy rigid armor and has a stick.

I'm %100 behind this.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

paragon1 posted:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't wanna be leader, but I'll patch up anyone who does

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If somebody makes a March Madness style bracket with all our dudes, with seeds, I'll do the Thunderdome. Unless you guys want me to continue as planned and have a mission lined up.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

I am really down for us to determine squad leader rolls by non-lethal Thunderdome.

Like whomever gets knocked down first loses, and everyone wears heavy rigid armor and has a stick.

Sounds Ike Phoenix Command anticipated exactly this type of scenario. I think the two by four is the most appropriate. The scissors or the bottle might lead to nasty eye injuries.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So if you make a bracket, I'll post a table of improvised melee weapons to choose from, and you guys pick your merc's weapon and I'll run the Thunderdome. There are also whips and chains.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As long as the injuries sustained don't carry over we should definitely do Thunderdome.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

As long as the injuries sustained don't carry over we should definitely do Thunderdome.

There are certain risks to any Thunderdome,

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Phi230 posted:

Yes there are rules for animals and mounted guns

Rules for mounted lasers and dinosaurs?

If so, you know what to do

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phi230 posted:

Given Grimace's current Tonya Harding provided convalescence, he'll sit out the thunderdome Trial of Position.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slaan posted:

Rules for mounted lasers and dinosaurs?

If so, you know what to do

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Rules for laser target designation?

None official, other than rules for tank guns with laser rangefinders. But tell me what you need and I should be able to write some.

JcDent posted:

Africa, eh? Would they still have G3s and FALs around there?

Quinntan posted:

There'd be some, old Rhodie and Portuguese stocks and all of that, but the area would be flooded with AKs.

Most of my knowledge pertains to only southern Africa in the period 1961-1989, with the most ubiquitous weapons being SKSes, AK47s, AKMs, RPDs, DShKs and their extended families, with the occasional Chinese copy. Portugal had a lot of G3s, FALs, and MG42s (as well as stocks of Kar 98k, MP34, MG34, and MG13) supplemented by AR10s, while South Africa provided Brens, MAGs, FALs, M79s, Galil ARs, Galil SARs, and their domestic BXP, S1, SS-77, Mini-SS, Milkor MGL and such. Rhodesia mostly used British-that-is-to-say-Belgian weapons, but did produce their own Sanna 77 (a CZ 25 clone) and imported some weird stuff like Mini-14s. Nigeria licensed a ton of different firearms, meaning you could even wring a BM-59 if you wanted it, and Biafra got a lot of Czechoslovakian weapons.

But yeah, mostly a ton of Soviet stuff with G3s and FALs to your heart's content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paragon1 posted:

Phoenix Command Hand to Hand Combat System is a separate book.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

100% behind the Thunderdome.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Potato isn't going into this, leadership requires being at the front and I don't want my guy anywhere near the front.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Thunderdome. New recruits who missed the Thunderdome can be initiated Third Street Saints style, but maybe give them some armour. It may also be worth building up a small menagerie, for more intensive training.

...but really, Mission is probably more interesting than an endless stream of fights. Maybe the Thunderdome could be done a few at a time between missions?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I came up with this bracket

http://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=jCq0LFlcKc

I did seeding base on who had the highest Strength + Agility + Health. in the case of ties higher seed went first to Motivation, then Size and finally Will. Here is how that broke down.

code:
NAME:								Strength + Agility + Health
Spanky								43
Snake Doctor							42
Grimace Howlington III						40
Tesla Cola							39 (11 MOT)
Count (von Count)						39 (10 MOT)
Simpson McFish							38
Dread								37
Popete								36 (10 MOT, 12 SIZ)
Potato								36 (10 MOT, 10 SIZ)
Dwayne "The Dwayne" Dwayne					35 (10 MOT, 5 SIZ, 12 WIL)
Actuary								35 (10 MOT, 5 SIZE, 11 WIL)
Steve								32
Every bracket generator created bye's so if we want to elminate bye's we'd have to come up with how to handle that.

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Heavy Armor and Whips at dawn.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

:allears:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Well poo poo if my stats in that are that high I take back what I said. Leadership training for me please. Also yea to thunderdome. I request the chain of command as my weapon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

Africa, eh? Would they still have G3s and FALs around there?

lovely Chicom AKs are guaranteed, tho.

I vote that the more emaciated members of the group get M4A1s.

Tons and tons of AKs of every kind. Some of my prior research (including an online Q&A session held by a Syrian insurgent) indicates that East German and Russian AKs are regarded as the best in the field, while Chinese and the local African-made guns are the worst. How does the game handle weapon quality and cleanliness? African militia and insurgents are likely to be using lovely locally made AKs rather than shiny new Russian weapons fresh out of the cosmoline. There would also be AK-74s in 5.45mm, as a number of African states (including Angola itself) issue them.

G3s and FALs are the big battle rifles. You'd see the SKS pretty often. Angola has the IWI X95 Micro-Tavor in 5.56mm and 9x19mm for special forces so we'd run into those if the dictator didn't like us too much. Swaziland and supposedly Botswana issued Armalite AR-18s, so you know there's gotta be some of those floating around. The Libyan revolution saw FN F2000s meant for their special forces being captured by the rebels, so there's a greater than 0% chance that one or two might float by.

For pistols, Angola issues the Makarov, TT-33, and Stetchkin APS. Locally you'd see a lot of the Browning Hi-Power, M1911, and Beretta 1951. Submachine guns include the Skorpion, Uzi in various forms (mostly full size), the Portuguese FBP, and the Spanish Star Z-45 (basically an MP 40 clone). Machine guns are the RP-46 (a belt-fed DP), PKM, RPD, and Vz. 52.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 18, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I assume Piat ate one of the designers' brain and just absorbed the information Space Marine style.

Bracket it is!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The stats I prioritized for seeding were pulled out of my rear end with my thinking being these seem important in a fight. If anyone disagrees we can fight (verbally) over why they think Telepathic Sensitivity should be the determining stat.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We will prolly do one more mission in Tibet but otherwise THUNDERDOME is go

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Woah, how the hell am I at the top of the list?

E: Ah, 16 health. Is that useful for anything beyond not dying?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The only leadership count's interested in is how much to lead targets with an HMG, but if he has to he's going into thunderdome with a clue by four.

Also, I really want to start hitting up modern boutique manufacturers for AR-15 bits to make a hella sweet lightweight rifle. Polymer lower and stock, carbon fiber handguard and a free floating pencil barrel = hell yeah, more weight for armor. May as well take advantage of being in the dystopic future.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 18, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Be sure to get a camcorder and make a video that is sure to get all the ladies laughing at you

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

Woah, how the hell am I at the top of the list?

E: Ah, 16 health. Is that useful for anything beyond not dying?

Not dying is by far the most useful statistic.

On an unrelated note, when we start carrying sidearms, I want an ivory handled revolver like Patton. (Though preferrably in .41 Magnum)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are we going to houserule the armor penalties at all, or sticking with them as written?

Christ I can't imagine how slow a flamethrower dude would be. But that'd be a pretty useful asset for smallish missions.

Also lol the G11 and CAWS are modelled. Jagged Alliance 2 flashbacks aplenty!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 18, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I am likely an idiot

So a Bolter is close to 20mm autocannon in diameter, yet Deathwatch RPG gives the weight of 18, and a rough estimate of ammo mag weighting 10% of the full gun weight, so that's where I derive weights from. The muzzle velocity is of the original gyrojet. I might have messed up some other things

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bolters are .98 caliber, right? That'd closeish (though a little bigger) than 20mm. They would certainly do work against unarmored techs. If only we could get some Kraken rounds for armored opponents.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Would a bolter count as a grenade launcher because the rounds are explosive?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bolters aren't gyrojets. They use the rockets to keep the projectile at speed, so that's an awfully low muzzle velocity.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crazycryodude posted:

There are seperate rules for exploding rounds

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

We will prolly do one more mission in Tibet but otherwise THUNDERDOME is go

Are there rules for simunitions?

The only reality show I ever liked was Combat Missions. The finale was a duel in a maze between two guys wearing heavy rigid armor, packing pistols loaded with paint bullets. Each had a small target circle painted in the middle of his visor; the winner was the first to shoot the other guy in that circle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

I think that Grenade Launcher entry is for under-slung grenade launchers. That said, it would definitely be some sort of light rocket launcher given that they're explosive and rocket powered. Though I guess they could be modeled as gyrojet ammo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Guys, guys. We can't have bolters. That's just wrong for genre.

We have to call them *rocket rifles* because we are in Jagged Alliance country.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

We really just need an RPG-7 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We could do a Russian roulette bracket, I feel like that is more in line with the Hired Goons style.

• Locked thread