Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Yooper posted:

The Sultan's First uses a hodgepodge of equipment that can be found scattered around the region. With the Prince's recent success in several anti-piracy operations in the Straits of Malacca, there are rumors he might be seeking investments to purchase an Indonesian Ambitious Assault Ship to use as a helicopter carrier for his forces.

I guess it wants to become a Cruiser when it grows up?

One of those would actually be useful in this area. Everyone has a coast.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Yooper posted:

Shinsage-Mitsubishi Armed Response Force (SMARF).

6x FA-50 Golden Eagles

These aren't all that exciting, they're about equivalent to our Hawk 209s.

These are block 52 F-16s. They can be worrying, but are limited in number.

Well balls. These are very scary aircraft. A modern AESA coupled to a missile that matches our Gripen for range is a very dangerous combination. We only have two advantages against them; they have a larger RCS and there's only two of them

It's a 1970s jet transport. No IFR limits its range.

These, ultimately, aren't all that scary. The IR/visual functionality is only so good if we fly at altitude towards it, and even then it only has an eight mile range.

The scariest adversary on the board. It's kind of odd that our biggest threat is a Boeing passenger jet, but welcome to modern air combat. It's their very own Erieye, so we're going to lack the traditional information advantage that we've had up to now.

Overall, I think that these would actually be the easiest to knock out of the theatre. Those F-2s and the Wedgetail are extremely costly assets to lose and they will also be very difficult to replace. The loss of those three aircraft would probably be enough to persuade SHARM to withdraw.

Yooper posted:

Perintah yang benar dari orang sultan senjat (The righteous order of the sultans arms.)
4x Flanker-B's

Oh hello, these are interesting. These make up the entirety of the Sultan's long range strike capability, being the only ones with IFR capability. and they also are the only aircraft in his fleet with precision ordinance, being able to carry a pair of 500kg (1100lb) TV-guided bombs. The Sultan can carry out some impressively long range strikes, but having a small number of these will also limit that ability. Think of them as an analogue to our Phantoms.

The Fulcrums here are probably going to serve primarily as air-to-air fighters protecting their airfield, given their lack of precision ordinance. They're not super long ranged either, and they lack IFR capability.

These fit in somewhere between our Hawks and our Sk60s, being an armed trainer. No precision ordinance, but they can haul quite a few unguided bombs.

Another one between our Hawks and Sk60s. Fewer bombs but it can carry some napalm. Turboprop powered so they're pretty slow.

Their tanker is going to be an asset that could pose us some issues. They're going to be devoted to extending the reach of the Sultan's Flankers, so these things can pop up on us during any mission we perform.

It's the bigger brother of our C-235M. Not all that notable.

Really, really rubbish SAMs.

I think the Sultan is going to be tougher to knock out, just because he's probably not as sensitive to losses of assets as Mitsubishi would be. On top of that, if he's looking for money to buy an amphib, he can divert those resources to buying replacement aircraft.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

SMARF is gonna be the more troublesome of the two. They have an excellent AWACS and 2 F2As which have AAM-4s that are as long ranged as our Meteors and an excellent AESA Radar, as well as some KF-16s that have AMRAAM-Bs which match our Phantoms AMRAAMs. The FA-50 Golden Eagles are WVR only and should be comfortably outclassed by our BVR jets.
For a total of 10 hostile fighters. 4 AWACS supported BVR fighters. 2 of which match our Gripens. 2 that match our Phantoms. Plus 6 WVR fighters. With that AWACS they can see us just as well as we can see them and will fly accordingly.

However, don't forget that we have an ECM platform in our Prowler which we can use against that AWACS and we have 16 potential BVR platforms, 8 of which match anything in theatre. We can use our ECM to reduce the detection range of that AWACS or to lure their CAP out of position whilst we have a package scream in from a different vector to try and nail that AWACs and they probably won't have the capacity to stop us from nailing it or having to sacrifice some fighters to to protect it. We also have a significant numbers advantage on our side which allows us to do things like fire off some Meteors at max range to force them to go defensive, until we can close the gap.

Sultan's First have 6 BVR Fighters, which nominally outrange our AMRAAM Phantoms and are significantly outclassed by the Meteor Gripens. Those 4 flankers also have a good PESA which should be able to detect our Gripens out pretty far and and the Phantoms out to Max range.
But they aren't supported by any AWACS so we should be able to detect them before they see us and fire from out of their range, certainly for the Gripens and probably for the Phantoms as long as they approach from the side/behind and we also have ECM to reduce their detection range.

On their own these 2 outfits can be dealt with, however if the Dictator teams up with SMARF and gets his F-16s into the mix, we may very well need all our Gripens A2A and most of the Phantoms A2A too, in which case I'm glad to have full Phantom buy for the extra capacity. We got 5 phantoms for the price of a single Gripen, 5 planes than can be in 5 places at once to give them 5x as many problems and which can intercept in 5x as many locations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Perintah yang benar dari orang sultan senjat (The righteous order of the sultans arms.)

Don't know if you were intentionally going for goofy Google-translated Malay but a better translation would be something along the lines of

Pasukan Senjata Mulia Diraja (Valorous/Distinguished Royal Armed Company) - something an military division might actually be called.

Or

Darjah Yang Mulia Senjata Diraja (Distinguished Order of the Royal Weapons) - this would be akin to the British CBE/OBE etc

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Z the IVth posted:

Don't know if you were intentionally going for goofy Google-translated Malay but a better translation would be something along the lines of

Pasukan Senjata Mulia Diraja (Valorous/Distinguished Royal Armed Company) - something an military division might actually be called.

Or

Darjah Yang Mulia Senjata Diraja (Distinguished Order of the Royal Weapons) - this would be akin to the British CBE/OBE etc

Try more like a chapter of crusading knights or something.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Yooper posted:

For right now, No. But thank you for the offer. Maybe if we start getting more elaborate... I'll check the voice acting thread and see how those dudes look. The nice part about Fiverr is the huge variety. (Beyond the $5).

Oh look, some news!

:wow:
:five::five::five:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yooper posted:

Oh look, some news!

Hot drat

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Yooper posted:

For right now, No. But thank you for the offer. Maybe if we start getting more elaborate... I'll check the voice acting thread and see how those dudes look. The nice part about Fiverr is the huge variety. (Beyond the $5).

Oh look, some news!

So did we free Tibet? Because it kind of sounds like we did.

If so, I guess we really do need war crimes loadouts for our planes for this contract.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coffeehitler posted:

So did we free Tibet? Because it kind of sounds like we did.

If so, I guess we really do need war crimes loadouts for our planes for this contract.

Operation Free Tibet With Purchase Of Equal Or Greater Value was a complete success!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yooper posted:

Oh look, some news!

Those production values :five:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

When it rains it pours from Fiverr.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

"brb war room guys gotta get these humanitarian supplies inland" Well, at least we know we picked a good guy.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We are assuredly on the right side of history; no need to look under the tarps on those trucks at all. Assuredly.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, I think we picked the right horse for this one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This old guy is probably a former SS commander or something, attempting to setup the next Reich.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Incredible work Yooper, honestly such an amazing job on this. Glad to be backing the count :)

Also, WRT to Menogue. We should very strongly consider basing our lovely short legged CAS assets there because it will allow our Frogfoots/Hawk 209s/SK60s/Sperwers to actually take part in some ground support and be involved in the narrative. It's situated really well for them to get some serious numbers of sorties out. We can use the disposable Sperwer UAVs to recon some targets and then call in our lovely Strikers. If the Sperwer gets shot down then we know it's too much to handle for our lovely Strikers and we've gotta call in some real jets from Lubango, otherwise they can crank out sorties to their hearts content.

If we send an SA-22 + Shilka there we can provide them with a fairly secure airfield, and more importantly protect the runways in case our good jets have to divert there.
Honestly, whilst our threat level is low I think we should be trying to maximise our sortie count using our lovely Strikers, they can put out a lot of bombs, the Count urgently needs some close air support and shortfield forward basing is what they're designed for. Plus we won't be able to use them effectively once we get to high threat levels.
We risk very little except 1 SA-22 battery which is mainly there to protect the runway, everything else is pretty much poo poo tier and isn't much of a loss if it gets blown up anyways.

Proposal: Main Force at Lubango.

lovely Strikers at Menogue

2xFrogfoot
2xHawk 209
6xSK60
2xSperwer
1xSA-22
1xShilka

200nm radius, for our shortest legged striker: Frogfoot.

Mr Crustacean fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 19, 2017

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Popete posted:

This old guy is probably a former SS commander or something, attempting to setup the next Reich.

The guy's about a decade too young to have been anything other than a kid during the third reich's time, what with him being in his late teens when he was in Dien Bien Phu. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few lessons on stuff from one of the three letter agencies out there.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Crustacean posted:

Incredible work Yooper, honestly such an amazing job on this. Glad to be backing the count :)

Also, WRT to Menogue. We should very strongly consider basing our lovely short legged CAS assets there because it will allow our Frogfoots/Hawk 209s/SK60s/Sperwers to actually take part in some ground support and be involved in the narrative. It's situated really well for them to get some serious numbers of sorties out. We can use the disposable Sperwer UAVs to recon some targets and then call in our lovely Strikers. If the Sperwer gets shot down then we know it's too much to handle for our lovely Strikers and we've gotta call in some real jets from Lubango, otherwise they can crank out sorties to their hearts content.

If we send an SA-22 + Shilka there we can provide them with a fairly secure airfield, and more importantly protect the runways in case our good jets have to divert there.
Honestly, whilst our threat level is low I think we should be trying to maximise our sortie count using our lovely Strikers, they can put out a lot of bombs, the Count urgently needs some close air support and shortfield forward basing is what they're designed for. Plus we won't be able to use them effectively once we get to high threat levels.
We risk very little except 1 SA-22 battery which is mainly there to protect the runway, everything else is pretty much poo poo tier and isn't much of a loss if it gets blown up anyways.

Proposal: Main Force at Lubango.

lovely Strikers at Menogue

2xFrogfoot
2xHawk 209
6xSK60
2xSperwer
1xSA-22
1xShilka

200nm radius, for our shortest legged striker: Frogfoot.

Right now the Count's airbase construction force is three guys, one shovel, and a wheelbarrow. And they fight over who gets to use the shovel. We've only got one airbase to use at the moment. But this will change, or should, as time goes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I missed the procurement phase but looking back was there a particular reason nobody included the Tornado ECRs in their proposals? Those looked good to me on paper.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yooper posted:

Oh look, some news!

This guy is pretty good.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Nice job with the voice actors Yooper, I wonder what else you have in store for us!
My vote goes to airbase Lubango.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

I missed the procurement phase but looking back was there a particular reason nobody included the Tornado ECRs in their proposals? Those looked good to me on paper.

Price tag (100M a pop) and they're just ARM trucks. The vanilla Tornadoes were over a third cheaper and more well-rounded.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

They're ferociously expensive at $100m a pop.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yooper posted:

Right now the Count's airbase construction force is three guys, one shovel, and a wheelbarrow. And they fight over who gets to use the shovel. We've only got one airbase to use at the moment. But this will change, or should, as time goes.

Then what do they fight with?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

xthetenth posted:

Their equipment would be considered quite good during the years when the place was still a Portuguese colony. Add in 40ish years of constant wear and tear with minimal maintenance. Though based on the research I've done on the people doing logistics for our count, they are nothing short of miracle workers and deserve immense respect for it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

My problem with splitting the airbases (you know, conceptually, since we can't) is that after all the handwringing over air defense systems we only have a single HAWK battery. Unless we buy the second the other airbase will be very vulnerable. Something we may want to keep in mind.

By the way, Yooper, the image in the OP has two HAWKs but we only own one.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

power crystals posted:

My problem with splitting the airbases (you know, conceptually, since we can't) is that after all the handwringing over air defense systems we only have a single HAWK battery. Unless we buy the second the other airbase will be very vulnerable. Something we may want to keep in mind.

We could just keep a small share of our assets in one of them if we run out of space in our main one. Even then, we should never deploy anything that's expensive in them because the most they have is some Strelas and ZU-23s.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

Argh. I'll update it once we lose something. Thank you for pointing it out. Lots of data floating about and I want to make sure I've got it all straight.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

:vince:

Just when I thought this LP couldn't impress me any more. :five:

I've got a hunch that the Japanese PMC will sign on with the dictator - since if I recall correctly he's the one with the big bucks right now he could easily cough up the cash for an expensive outfit like them (particularly since he might be seen as a more reliable employer than the Free State).

I think that our first priority should be to knock out the weaker PMC (i.e. the Sultan's forces) - with them out of the road we can more easily focus on our other opponent. Of course, we should also keep in mind the potential for these PMCs to not just duke it out with us but also to tangle with one another. I have no idea how we could do it, but perhaps it might be worth trying to get them to focus on each other rather than us?

I also quite like the backstory Yvonmukluk wrote up. Good job!

xthetenth posted:

The 2x4s left behind after Ground Merc Thunderdome, duh.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 19, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I disagree with your assessment, though that is because I am presuming that SHARM are going to be a bit more risk-averse, due to the rarity and cost of their assets. I do think that if they lose the Viper Zeroes and the Wedgetail, that's it for them, whereas there isn't really anything like that for the Sultan. Their aircraft are cheaper and more numerous, giving them a bit more capability to sustain losses and replacing them will be somewhat easier too.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Quinntan posted:

I disagree with your assessment, though that is because I am presuming that SHARM are going to be a bit more risk-averse, due to the rarity and cost of their assets. I do think that if they lose the Viper Zeroes and the Wedgetail, that's it for them, whereas there isn't really anything like that for the Sultan. Their aircraft are cheaper and more numerous, giving them a bit more capability to sustain losses and replacing them will be somewhat easier too.

That's a perfectly sound position to take - I'm kind of leaning toward the Sultan simply because their assets are less likely to inflict losses on us (and so we could go into a fight with the other guys with less attrition). There's also a bit of self-interest involved here since I'd like to keep flying as long as possible, and picking a fight with a peer/near-peer competitor doesn't seem conducive to my survival whilst I'm still flying a SK60B. :v:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

That's a perfectly sound position to take - I'm kind of leaning toward the Sultan simply because their assets are less likely to inflict losses on us (and so we could go into a fight with the other guys with less attrition). There's also a bit of self-interest involved here since I'd like to keep flying as long as possible, and picking a fight with a peer/near-peer competitor doesn't seem conducive to my survival whilst I'm still flying a SK60B. :v:

The real way to do it would be to try and catch them on the ground. Try and figure out when their wedgetail lands and then scream in at high speed. If we pull it off right, you'll get another chance to rocket expensive high-end fighters on the ground.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

That's a good point. It's a shame we don't have any halfway decent stealth craft; some quick recon on nearby airfields (or hell tailing some merc craft to identify their home fields) would be a great way to plan future strikes.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Quinntan posted:

The real way to do it would be to try and catch them on the ground. Try and figure out when their wedgetail lands and then scream in at high speed. If we pull it off right, you'll get another chance to rocket expensive high-end fighters on the ground.

Welp, time to try to figure out how long a Wedgetail could stay in the air, when they'd hit bingo fuel, and whether they can be mid-air refuelled. That'd at least give us an "extreme" scenario to start planning around. Maybe plant mercs to watch comings and goings from their base and use that to plan accordingly?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Quinntan posted:

SHARM might double down to try and salvage their pride if we beat them up too bad, depending on their overall resources.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Wedgetails are IFR-capable but SHARM don't have any tankers. Maybe we should try to do what the Serbs did, have a lad hanging around their airfield and call in to us when it takes off and lands.

xthetenth posted:

SHARM might double down to try and salvage their pride if we beat them up too bad, depending on their overall resources.

True, but it is unlikely. SHARM is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi, they are probably going to get pulled back by the pencil-pushers rather than doubling down. Besides, there are only 94 viper zeroes and 14 wedgetails. Replacing them with likr-for-like aircraft would be borderline impossible.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 19, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Soup Inspector posted:

There's also a bit of self-interest involved here since I'd like to keep flying as long as possible, and picking a fight with a peer/near-peer competitor doesn't seem conducive to my survival whilst I'm still flying a SK60B. :v:
Rockin' the Reaper (if it ever even sees action) continuing to look like the right choice :v:

Quinntan posted:

We just need to take out that Wedgetail. Replacing that cannot possibly be cheap or easy. Hopefully we can do it with the SK60s to build on our legend of having the most decorated trainers of all time.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Please respect our noble opponents by at least getting their name right

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Quinntan posted:

Besides, there are only 94 viper zeroes...

The 2011 earthquake/tsunami submerged thirteen of them, and they wrote five off completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

MrYenko posted:

The 2011 earthquake/tsunami submerged thirteen of them, and they wrote five off completely.

I'm impressed they got any of those back, you'd think that trying to bring any of those back after they got ruined by sea water would be practically impossible.