Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

Man, I get the writing was a little all over the place for her at times, but this is just flat out wrong.

We agree to disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watching someone who has to rapidly switch between being playfully curious, weeping with grief, shouting furiously, and basically just being Matt Smith: dang, this girl is cardboard!!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

Watching someone who has to rapidly switch between being playfully curious, weeping with grief, shouting furiously, and basically just being Matt Smith: dang, this girl is cardboard!!

We see different things. Anyway this risks getting cyclical, so I'll leave it there

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not sure how a plank of wood could say one thing - just - one thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPaveQftN2I

In which Steven Moffat introduces Episode 2 "Smile" and says what some of the episode is going to be focusing on

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've just hit the 6th series of the Jago and Litefoot audio series, and I have a bit of a...continuity question. Jago in particular (though Litefoot mentions it too) talks about their trips to Venus, Colonial America, and the 60s all feel like a dream, and he can't remember it well. Is this plot-relevant? Or just an effort to reset J&L to a status quo and not have them talk about future stuff?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

So I've just hit the 6th series of the Jago and Litefoot audio series, and I have a bit of a...continuity question. Jago in particular (though Litefoot mentions it too) talks about their trips to Venus, Colonial America, and the 60s all feel like a dream, and he can't remember it well. Is this plot-relevant? Or just an effort to reset J&L to a status quo and not have them talk about future stuff?

If I recall correctly, they started to lose the memory of those trips pretty much immediately.. Don't know really if that needs to be spoilered, but there ya go.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

If I recall correctly, they started to lose the memory of those trips pretty much immediately.. Don't know really if that needs to be spoilered, but there ya go.

Well yeah, that's what I mentioned. I'm just curious if that is plot relevant, or just fortuitous happenstance to return J&L to their status quo.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well yeah, that's what I mentioned. I'm just curious if that is plot relevant, or just fortuitous happenstance to return J&L to their status quo.

Ah, sorry, at work so I don't think I am firing on all cylinders. Being caught up with J&L I'm pretty sure it's just a status quo reset unless I'm forgetting something obvious I missed. I just meant they only mention it periodically as a "well I have hazy memory of this thing happening maybe...ANYWAY on with the plot"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Makes sense. It's lazy; but probably necessary.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I think it was just supposed to indicate to us, the audience, definitively, that the Doctor is the reason the photographs of her mom resurfaced, and let us know that Bill is starting to suspect there's something going on with her "tutor." It also sort of helps to establish that the Doctor is developing a soft spot for Bill, which works towards the episode's ending.

Well yes, that is right front and centre in the episode. Just as it is explicit that Bill notices that her tutor knew her mum but then never mentions it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwXMAiM_ug

In which Peter and Pearl introduce you to "Smile"

"Never trust a friendly robot"

Boy, that's one heck of a "screw you" to poor ol' K9, isn't it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwXMAiM_ug

In which Peter and Pearl introduce you to "Smile"

"Never trust a friendly robot"

Boy, that's one heck of a "screw you" to poor ol' K9, isn't it?

To be fair K9 laser blasted shitloads of people

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And was supposed to have been evil what

Twice?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

And was supposed to have been evil what

Twice?

Insufficient data.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

10th Doctor: Ah well, dogs. That's different....

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

Insufficient data.

Yeah well you never loving know the answer when it's important.

Flight Bisque fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 20, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

10th Doctor: Ah well, dogs. That's different....

Welllll, I say 'different', more like people are more forgiving, but wook at that tin muzzle! Alons-y!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So with the broadcast of The Pilot as the Spring special, how long do we have to wait for the next episode?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

So with the broadcast of The Pilot as the Spring special, how long do we have to wait for the next episode?

Roiland and Harmon just say 'Summer '17'.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

22 April 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Every time they really make use of that set, it's fabulous.

I've noticed a lot of people (Americans) complaining about not being able to understand Bill, which is a bit surprising?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When she was talking really fast during the interview it was a bit tough, yeah. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

echoplex posted:

I've noticed a lot of people (Americans) complaining about not being able to understand Bill, which is a bit surprising?

There was a line or two that I had to rewind to catch, but that's less because of her accent and more because of the line catching me off-guard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

echoplex posted:

There's a not-insignificant part of the population that thinks Daniel Craig is calling M "mom" in his James Bond movies, so...

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Roiland and Harmon just say 'Summer '17'.

The crossover for that show and Who should not surprise me in the least, since it's basically "what if real life Tom Baker was The Doctor"

Yup, Tom Baker is Rick Sanchez

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

There's a not-insignificant part of the population that thinks Daniel Craig is calling M "mom" in his James Bond movies, so...

A movie review podcast I love spent a solid 20 minutes discussing the symbolism of that, and I was tearing my hair out the whole time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

echoplex posted:

Every time they really make use of that set, it's fabulous.

This might very well be my favorite shot in the history of the show.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I posted the 60 seconds of them going in from the office to the end of that GIF on my Twitter earlier, I really do think those scenes show off the best of what DW is capable of. All the sets are beautiful (of course), but the directing, writing, camera, sound (lovely ambient noise in there) AND costume (notice the change of coat) are all superb, and Peter and Pearl just nail it (particularly Peter saying nothing at all, that's the best Capaldi). It's so nice when a show pulls something like that off, you can read so many promising scripts and for whatever myriad reason it doesn't come together... this scene really worked.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 21, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it was a great scene and part of what makes it so great for me is that there is nothing surprising or even all that new about it - everybody knew exactly what we were going to see/what was going to happen and then that's exactly what they showed. They didn't shake things up or twist things around, they just did that shot really, really, really loving well and made it look amazing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was a great scene and part of what makes it so great for me is that there is nothing surprising or even all that new about it - everybody knew exactly what we were going to see/what was going to happen and then that's exactly what they showed. They didn't shake things up or twist things around, they just did that shot really, really, really loving well and made it look amazing.
They designed the episode to be a new jumping on point (to the point they changed the episode title from "A Star In Her Eye" to "The Pilot" as in a Pilot Episode), which makes me wonder what a completely new watcher was thinking during that scene.

There's times when the characters in the show feel like they're speaking to the audience as much as they're speaking to other characters.

So Twelve is telling the audience about the TARDIS just as much as he's telling Bill; sure, veteran viewers may be a bit tired of that, but the visuals help lessen the sting.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

They designed the episode to be a new jumping on point (to the point they changed the episode title from "A Star In Her Eye" to "The Pilot" as in a Pilot Episode), which makes me wonder what a completely new watcher was thinking during that scene.

There's times when the characters in the show feel like they're speaking to the audience as much as they're speaking to other characters.

So Twelve is telling the audience about the TARDIS just as much as he's telling Bill; sure, veteran viewers may be a bit tired of that, but the visuals help lessen the sting.
Yeah in a way the tv show is simply the entrance into the wormhole of fandom. So cosplay, audiobooks, classic series, youtube/tumblr community membership. It's great.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah in a way the tv show is simply the entrance into the wormhole of fandom. So cosplay, audiobooks, classic series, youtube/tumblr community membership. It's great.

There's a TV show? :confused:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I don't agree with it all, but interesting view:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/38645/doctor-who-looking-back-at-chris-chibnalls-episodes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's difficult to get a handle on Chibnail. His first Who story and Torchwood were totally execrable, and the Silurian two-parter was just as bad, but I quite liked both his Series 7 stories (I believe I'm in the minority there). The pacing feels on on the Power of Three and Dinorsaurs on a Spaceship has some tonal issues, but they're probably my two favorites from that half-season (again, a low bar).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

They designed the episode to be a new jumping on point

I do have to say I think they succeeded pretty drat well, I think it's the best jumping on point since Eleventh Hour.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I wonder if there's any particular reason or reasons why this one seemed to be such a clean start? Has it been written about in a magazine or interview anywhere?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Stabbatical posted:

I wonder if there's any particular reason or reasons why this one seemed to be such a clean start? Has it been written about in a magazine or interview anywhere?

It has been like 2 years since the last series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stabbatical posted:

I suspect it's because we're getting a whole new slew of writers for Series 11, so making sure they only really have to watch one Series instead of 5 would help with writing comprehensible episodes
But that's just my assumption and is by no means 100% accurate

I love how much the Doctor's hair has changed over three Series (Series 10 and 9 respectively)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hell his hair changed over the course of an episode, just look at Flatline. It goes from wild outside to close cropped in the siege TARDIS scenes.

• Locked thread