Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No lie, the most racist people I knew in high school were stoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Magnus Manfist posted:

I love how viking sagas don't even pretend the heroes are "good guys" in any sense we'd understand. It always just starts "Ulf the Quarrelsome had been exiled for some murders, and then..."

Most of the Viking gods aren't even "good guys", Odin spends almost all of his time seducing the poo poo out of pretty much anyone with tits he runs into, several of his stories basically results in yet another bastard son for his already huge collection.

Thor is actually one of the nicer gods, and even he just took some farmers kids as slaves/servants, because one of the kids ate the bone marrow out of his goats.

The goats that Thor could just resurrect whenever he felt like having goat for dinner.

Balder is probably the closest thing you can get to a Viking "good guy", and he got killed off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Did you know that Catholic soldiers didn't even have to travel through time to get to the Roman Empire?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. THESE soldiers travelled from the 21st century.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RagnarokZ posted:

Most of the Viking gods aren't even "good guys", Odin spends almost all of his time seducing the poo poo out of pretty much anyone with tits he runs into, several of his stories basically results in yet another bastard son for his already huge collection.

Thor is actually one of the nicer gods, and even he just took some farmers kids as slaves/servants, because one of the kids ate the bone marrow out of his goats.

The goats that Thor could just resurrect whenever he felt like having goat for dinner.

Balder is probably the closest thing you can get to a Viking "good guy", and he got killed off.

To be fair, the goat was crippled even after being resurrected once the kid ate the marrow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's like how there were tribes in the middle east who were still using black powder ball rifles up until really the AK47 and Mosin got vomitted across the entire known world by the Soviets. Because they shot a bullet and that bullet killed game and the rare enemy well enough that you didn't need to develop the time and resources to switch to a new platform.

There are still people in Africa (and more rarely the Middle East and Southeast Asia) that are using flintlock or even homemade matchlock muskets firing black powder and lead balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZ-e0dGafM

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Apr 21, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmao at the video title, truly homemade muskets are the greatest danger of them all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A few notes on how to behave by Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466–1536), from his work De civilitate morum puerilium (On Civility in Children). Some are reasonable, others are a bit weird:

• Snot should not hang from the Nose [...] Wiping ones Nose on their Hat or Clothes is rogueish and farmerish; on the Arm or Elbow is for Fishmongers and Shopmistresses.
  • To laugh at all Words or Deeds is for Jesters; to laugh at none is for Stupids.
  • If thou must vomit, then go aside (by yourself). To vomit is not bad in itself, but to have caused it with Gluttony or Greed in Food and Drink is terrible.
  • If one has Something stuck in one's Teeth, do not pick it out with a Knife or Fingernails like a Dog or a Cat. [Rather, use] the small Bones from the upper Thigh of a Chicken.
  • To sit with the Knees wide from Eachother or to stretch and bend ones Legs is Prideful. When one sits, one should hold both Knees together and the Feet when one stands, or separate them slightly from Eachother. Some sit so that their one Shin is hanging above the other Knee, some stand with their Legs crossed together. The former is for the Anxious and the latter for Fools.
  • Do not walk through Church shouting a short Prayer to Christ with your Head bare.
  • To look at others with crossed Eyes while drinking is shameful, likewise to bend the Neck back like a Stork to get the last Sip.
  • To dip ones Fingers in the Food is farmerish.
  • It is an extreme Human that gropes around in the Bowl with their Hand, likewise it is of ill Repute to turn the Bowl so that the good Bits come to thee.

Couldn't find an English edition online, so these are my translations from the Danish 1646 edition. Highly recommended!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Wheat Loaf posted:

Many records were lost during the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

im still pissed I thought that was real

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also, like, a loooot of murder and casual violence.

Just to show how truly causal the violence was: One day Torgeir Håvardsson rode past a peasant, without warning he then chopped the head off said peasant. When he was asked why the hell he did it Torgeir answered "He was so well poised for the blow". Everybody then had a good laugh and let Torgeir go free.

Magnus Manfist posted:

I love how viking sagas don't even pretend the heroes are "good guys" in any sense we'd understand. It always just starts "Ulf the Quarrelsome had been exiled for some murders, and then..."

In some viking families it seems like getting exiled was a family tradition. In 960 Thorvald Åsvaldsson was exiled from Norway for murder and had to move to Iceland. His son, Erik the Red, was then exiled from Iceland for killing Eyiolf the Foul, this exile lead him to discover Greenland. Incidentally Erik the Red's son, Leif Erikson, avoided exile and became the first european to sail to America.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

im still pissed I thought that was real

im still pissed it wasn't

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

A few notes on how to behave by Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466–1536), from his work De civilitate morum puerilium (On Civility in Children). Some are reasonable, others are a bit weird:

• Snot should not hang from the Nose [...] Wiping ones Nose on their Hat or Clothes is rogueish and farmerish; on the Arm or Elbow is for Fishmongers and Shopmistresses.
  • To laugh at all Words or Deeds is for Jesters; to laugh at none is for Stupids.
  • If thou must vomit, then go aside (by yourself). To vomit is not bad in itself, but to have caused it with Gluttony or Greed in Food and Drink is terrible.
  • If one has Something stuck in one's Teeth, do not pick it out with a Knife or Fingernails like a Dog or a Cat. [Rather, use] the small Bones from the upper Thigh of a Chicken.
  • To sit with the Knees wide from Eachother or to stretch and bend ones Legs is Prideful. When one sits, one should hold both Knees together and the Feet when one stands, or separate them slightly from Eachother. Some sit so that their one Shin is hanging above the other Knee, some stand with their Legs crossed together. The former is for the Anxious and the latter for Fools.
  • Do not walk through Church shouting a short Prayer to Christ with your Head bare.
  • To look at others with crossed Eyes while drinking is shameful, likewise to bend the Neck back like a Stork to get the last Sip.
  • To dip ones Fingers in the Food is farmerish.
  • It is an extreme Human that gropes around in the Bowl with their Hand, likewise it is of ill Repute to turn the Bowl so that the good Bits come to thee.

Couldn't find an English edition online, so these are my translations from the Danish 1646 edition. Highly recommended!

I'm the wide stance of privilege throughout history

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

syscall girl posted:

so farmerish

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Even Erasmus was critical of manspreading. I approve.

And I don't understand why you're all harshing on medieval Scandinavia. You don't like subsistence farming while you're trying not to freeze to death, or going out west in your cousin's best friend's longship because he heard there might be a non-ice covered place somewhere?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

I'm the extreme Human.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm the extreme Human.

Sorry, I'm pretty bad at translating archaic Danish adjectives into plausible English adjectives lol

It was "overdaadig", probably better to translate it as "excessive"

Also the incessant harping on farmers & common workers might be due to the work being written for I think prince Henry of Burgundy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

System Metternich posted:

lmao at the video title, truly homemade muskets are the greatest danger of them all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORVfnFtcH0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

Sorry, I'm pretty bad at translating archaic Danish adjectives into plausible English adjectives lol

It was "overdaadig", probably better to translate it as "excessive"

Also the incessant harping on farmers & common workers might be due to the work being written for I think prince Henry of Burgundy

I'm the excessive Human.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm the excessive Human.

That's fair :colbert:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bertrand Hustle posted:

No lie, the most racist people I knew in high school were stoners.
I knew this big, fat fucker who loved Hitler almost as much as he loved his knit rasta cap.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Big Booty posted:

I knew this big, fat fucker who loved Hitler almost as much as he loved his knit rasta cap.
Well, I mean, the two have an obvious point of overlap: They both celebrate 4/20.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Well, I mean, the two have an obvious point of overlap: They both celebrate 4/20.

lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hitler probably celebrated 20/4 though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Biplane posted:

Hitler probably celebrated 20/4 though.

5?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
:meisterstück:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Can someone who knows more about history tell me why there's an actual weather site called Weather Underground when I assume that's a bad association for a lot of people?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

Can someone who knows more about history tell me why there's an actual weather site called Weather Underground when I assume that's a bad association for a lot of people?
It was probably a cute name when they started and now it's their #brand so they're stuck with it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I could swear Weather Underground was the name of a desktop bloatware program back in the early 2000s.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pick posted:

It was an early internet site based out of the University of Michigan, as was the original Weather Underground. They thought it was cute.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nessus posted:

It was probably a cute name when they started and now it's their #brand so they're stuck with it.

There used to be a record store - and not some upstairs hole-in-the-wall, an actual big record store - in Grand Rapids MI called "The Vinyl Solution". Why... why would you... what? Who thought that was a good idea?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hogmartin posted:

There used to be a record store - and not some upstairs hole-in-the-wall, an actual big record store - in Grand Rapids MI called "The Vinyl Solution". Why... why would you... what? Who thought that was a good idea?

The point is for the name to be memorable, so people will go there. Customers don't like having to look stuff up, they tend go to the first place that comes to mind. Lots of stores base their names on puns for that reason.

In this case, the calculation is that it will bring in more business than it drives away.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kindof like my ~Wee Historical Shoppe o' Curiosities~ called "HITLER STUFF"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Probably the same people who run this place in a college town.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
... MapQuest?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hogmartin posted:

That's a great name.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

'Crepe Culture' which I assume is a bad pun for 'Rape Culture'?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This is a burial from ~1770. Notice how it is mentioned that he's a Calvinist: This means no "dirt to dirt" from a Danish priest, that's only for the Lutherans

"LøverDag d 8 Apr: blev Calvinist Johan Fornæs Tobaks
Planteur begr: uden de 17 [all Ab.Skl.?] Ring: ætat: 80 Aar"

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?bsid=156992#156992,26325757

PS:
"ring" = they paid for bells, as most people did if they could
ætat = "of age" so dude got to be 80 years old

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

'Crepe Culture' which I assume is a bad pun for 'Rape Culture'?

No, I mean, MapQuest?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Powaqoatse posted:

This is a burial from ~1770. Notice how it is mentioned that he's a Calvinist: This means no "dirt to dirt" from a Danish priest, that's only for the Lutherans

PS:

Do you have many tobacco farmers in Denmark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

PS:

So which is it? 1769 or 1775?