Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

well why not posted:

so is there any reason why digital is more expensive?

It's actually the same MSRP. Retail has Amazon and Best Buy trying to undercut the competition by providing deals to people who pay a membership fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

well why not posted:

so is there any reason why digital is more expensive?

Because physical stores still have a stranglehold on the retail side of things an no-one wants to be the first to piss them off by pricing digital games competitively unless they're on sale.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How large of a download is MK8DX supposed to be anyways?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

*struggles to change small light cartridge from time to time, dies*

Also I'll take saving 12 bucks on the front end and making back 30-45 on the back end for the insane trouble of said cart changing.

You'd get rid of MK8DX??

Mods please ban this filth.

minusX posted:

The first Bravely Default is *Finally* going back down in price https://www.amazon.com/Bravely-Default-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B00GV4V8XC?th=1 they were going for $70+ for the longest time, and could be bought digitally for $40.

BD was a good game but it went on a little too long and the burnout in the final stretch is real.

Cardboard Box posted:

are you saying they ran out of eshop downloads? i didn't even think that was a thing that could happen

This can actually happen when people don't pay attention. :eng101:
http://www.techradar.com/news/steam-actually-ran-out-of-a-game-this-weekend-heres-what-happened

It also happened when Earthbound was put on the VC.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chaleski posted:

I let someone borrow my MKDS and the only thing I asked was for him not to delete my save, and he did. Not being able to let people borrow my stuff is a plus for me.

You're in luck, friend. Just like disc based games, the save file is on your console. Feel free to trade games and enrich your life with comraderie and the fun of Nintendo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Evil Fluffy posted:

You'd get rid of MK8DX??

Mods please ban this filth.

I'll sell my copy of MK8DX one day. when 9 is about to come out

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Evil Fluffy posted:

6.75 GB, at least in Europe.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Look at all these exclusives coming in 2017 :smaug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ia puyo out yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

New frontier days ftw

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Honestly I forgot about most of these and got real excited for a minute that Frontier Days might be a Rune Factory kinda thing. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My friend, I think if you look at those titles you'll find a number of them that are NOT exclusives. Please don't spread misinformation in this Nintendo Switch thread.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

chaleski posted:

I let someone borrow my MKDS and the only thing I asked was for him not to delete my save, and he did. Not being able to let people borrow my stuff is a plus for me.

http://imgur.com/ALWWbB7

Healbot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 22, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

drat phone posting, whatever.

I'm also getting the physical version of MK8D because I enjoy letting people wait for me to load into any game, really.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meldonox posted:

Honestly I forgot about most of these and got real excited for a minute that Frontier Days might be a Rune Factory kinda thing. :smith:

I don't know why but when I looked at that title I found myself wishing for a new game in the vein of Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Blazing Zero posted:

all the people burning through arrows that fast are the same people im going to destroy in splatoon 2

Jokes on you because I'm not buying Splat2n.

Checkmate, Flat-Earthers.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have a preorder for Mario Kart 8 DLX. I'm gonna pick up Puyo Puyo at the same time.

I must resist the urge to buy Wonder Boy right now; it looks so good and I want to own it.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Blazing Zero posted:

all the people burning through arrows that fast are the same people im going to destroy in splatoon 2

Save arrows by throwing every weapon you own. In a large melee I'll pick a weapon up off the ground and throw it at someone's face as a standard move.

Yes, I do break about 5 weapons a fight, but somehow walk away with more weapons than I started with. Zelda's pretty generous.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Healbot posted:

drat phone posting, whatever.

I'm also getting the physical version of MK8D because I enjoy letting people wait for me to load into any game, really.

I'm going to find the slowest piece of poo poo SD card I can for this reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dizz posted:

Jokes on you because I'm not buying Splat2n.

:same:

There's plenty of good shooters on PC, the platform God intended shooters to be played on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe they can make a XIM for the Switch :getin:

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

So, Target is supposed to have Switch's in stock tomorrow, for all those who are still looking.
Like me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm still trying to get in on that sweet, Target-based Mario Kart 8 Rubik's Cube action, but I'm demonstrably incompetent.

The one image floating around says you need to preorder it to get the bonus. I want the bonus, but not enough to wait for shipping or pay $15 for same-day shipping.

Does anyone know how to preorder MK8D from Target for pickup in-store on launch day?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Go into Target and preorder, they have cards in the game section you bring to the register.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's plenty of good shooters on PC, the platform God intended shooters to be played on.

Except I'm just flat out on money to spend

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't loving wait to play some Mario Kart in less than one week!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

monkeu posted:

Digital media rules. Especially on a system like the switch. It's basically designed from the ground up to be digital only and in fact all the testing proves that buying dumb little physical plastic carts in big plastic boxes leads to the longest possible loading times.

it has 32gb of storage lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do digital downloads actually have any noticeable improvement in loading times? I figured since physical games are just basically proprietary SD cards anyway there wouldn't be any difference.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

strap on revenge posted:

it has 32gb of storage lol

Yep and all the testing has proven that the internal storage is far and away the fastest way to load games. That's why I've got Zelda on my internal storage, as well as all my other games so far. When Mario Kart 8 DX launches in a few days I'll be popping out my 128 gig SD card (that cost barely anything) so that it downloads to the fastest loading possible spot too. Keep in mind that even if I ran out of internal space SD cards are incredibly cheap and also load games significantly faster than the wasteful and ridiculously obsolete physical carts

Thankfully I've managed to get my life to a point where I can experience games on my launch window console with the convenience and best possible loading times of digital... without worrying about starving to death or recouping 20 or 30 bucks in 2019 :laugh:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

monkeu posted:

Yep and all the testing has proven that the internal storage is far and away the fastest way to load games.

all 2 of them and then you need to buy a different small plastic card. luckily 128gb will fit the other 5 or 6 games on this console that will actually be good

also lol @ giving a poo poo about a couple of seconds loading time (if it's even that much). maybe if you play like 50+ hours a week on it it would save an appreciable amount of time but if you're playing games that much your time is already being wasted

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Guy I think I'm going to buy MK8 on physical because I'm fiscally responsible with my loads of money instead of a wasteful prick like other people.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Also me and my wife have budget for our hobbies so we can save as much money as possible for our daughters future, please send help.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

Also me and my wife have budget for our hobbies so we can save as much money as possible for our daughters future, please send help.

Don't even justify yourself to that nutbar.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

lol loser. i saved 15 seconds on zelda load times this week and here you are wasting your time on a child lmfao :grin:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Rad Valtar posted:

You would think maybe your daughter would appreciate a planet not choked by endless plastic from needless physical media a bit more than a possible Arby's family dinner in 2020 thanks to your fantastic financial planning

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I thought Videogames was a brave and powerful mod who would protect us from stuff like this. Why have we been forsaken?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

monkeu posted:

You would think maybe your daughter would appreciate a planet not choked by endless plastic from needless physical media a bit more than a possible Arby's family dinner in 2020 thanks to your fantastic financial planning

Oh poo poo Arby's has a family dinner? I better get down there tomorrow. My daughter loves playing with my game cases so it's a cheap game for me and a cheap toy for her. Check and loving mate nerd.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Wendell posted:

I thought Videogames was a brave and powerful mod who would protect us from stuff like this. Why have we been forsaken?

Unfortunately for all of you the moderator on a Nintendo thread on the internet cannot even come close to solving your problems

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Be careful of those game cases they might get wrapped around a fishes neck in the grim dark plastic future of 2020.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He's just big paper trying to shut down the plastics industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Invalid Validation posted:

He's just big paper trying to shut down the plastics industry.

He's very upset that grocery stores have phased out paper bags.

• Locked thread