Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Someone's working on creating the New Vegas worldspace in FO4. I'd wager it's one of those projects that get abandoned partway in, but who knows. After all people are still working on Tamriel Rebuilt so it's not entirely impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Woebin posted:

Someone's working on creating the New Vegas worldspace in FO4. I'd wager it's one of those projects that get abandoned partway in, but who knows. After all people are still working on Tamriel Rebuilt so it's not entirely impossible.

FO4's pallet works very well with the Mojave.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Woebin posted:

There's no way that this project will ever get finished unless he collaborates with other modders for the world building. Just doing the exterior is one thing, but also having to remake every interior would take forever.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

There's no way that this project will ever get finished unless he collaborates with other modders for the world building. Just doing the exterior is one thing, but also having to remake every interior would take forever.
Oh yeah, there's no loving way he'll build the whole thing on his own. Apparently he's got friends helping with scripting and quest writing, maybe partway through he'll realize it's too much of a solo undertaking and get people to help with the worldbuilding as well. But definitely more likely he'll just flounder and abandon it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is he working on importing the assets from New Vegas into the FO4 engine or straight up rebuilding the world using the assets from FO4? Either one seems like it'd be a crazy amount of work but the latter is basically remaking the game the same way the New Vegas designers did.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is he working on importing the assets from New Vegas into the FO4 engine or straight up rebuilding the world using the assets from FO4? Either one seems like it'd be a crazy amount of work but the latter is basically remaking the game the same way the New Vegas designers did.

I hope it's the first so that somehow it's compatible with Tale of Two Wastelands.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a black 10mm pistol retexture on the Nexus that's a palate swap of the HD pack diffuse textures, but then also replaces specular maps with copies of the diffuse maps and the normals are completely black. I would let this guy know that he's a bit mistaken about how these textures work but I would probably get banned lol

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hasn't there been similar projects to redo Morrowind and Oblivion in Skyrim that predictably languished unfinished forever?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Morrowind in Skyrim's engine remake is looking like it's actually pretty close to done and on track for a release; with the rerelease of Skyrim it's on the FO4 version of the engine, too. The Oblivion one looks a lot less promising.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Skywind should actually get released at some point. Skyblivion, on the other hand, is probably never going to come out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How difficult is creating questline mods, anyway? Ones not involving new locations?

I'm tempted to make a questline set after blind betrayal where you and Danse get blind drunk and pull off a heist to steal Maxson's coat to shove it to the smug bastard.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

How difficult is creating questline mods, anyway? Ones not involving new locations?

I'm tempted to make a questline set after blind betrayal where you and Danse get blind drunk and pull off a heist to steal Maxson's coat to shove it to the smug bastard.

Uh, well, probably pretty hard. You'd need to figure out how to set up scenes, aliases, quest stages and probably Papyrus scripting.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The scripting is likely a pain. If you make new locations that's pretty straight forward, although the creation kit can be a bit arcane at times. I'm sure the scripting is bullshit stupid though.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Problem with this New Vegas project is that it doesn't really appeal to the people who like New Vegas. They consider FO4 rotten to the core in the same way Morrowind fans consider Skyrim an awful base for Skywind no matter how much it is modded. If it releases, it'll be a nice landmass to play around in but it doesn't really have a future.

After OpenMW/OpenCS hits 1.0 its only a matter of time until OpenNV becomes a thing and that's where the true potential is. That being said, I hope this project goes somewhere because like Skywind, it'll give OpenNV modders assets to work with.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Problem with this New Vegas project is that it doesn't really appeal to the people who like New Vegas. They consider FO4 rotten to the core in the same way Morrowind fans consider Skyrim an awful base for Skywind no matter how much it is modded. If it releases, it'll be a nice landmass to play around in but it doesn't really have a future.

After OpenMW/OpenCS hits 1.0 its only a matter of time until OpenNV becomes a thing and that's where the true potential is. That being said, I hope this project goes somewhere because like Skywind, it'll give OpenNV modders assets to work with.

I mean, both projects appeal to me just fine, especially if they get the quests and poo poo working?

Not entirely sure the basis for this assertion.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Problem with this New Vegas project is that it doesn't really appeal to the people who like New Vegas. They consider FO4 rotten to the core in the same way Morrowind fans consider Skyrim an awful base for Skywind no matter how much it is modded.

otoh : so what, there will always be some fringe lunatics who think stuff like that, they probably hate sliced yoghurt and tayne

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fallout 4's problems (outside of obvious things like the HATE NEWSPAPER interface) are in sloppy world/quest design, really bad optimization in various areas, and writing. I don't know who you're talking about that would consider it an unsuitable base for a New Vegas mod but that thinks New Vegas, a glorified unstable fallout 3 mod that looks like rear end, is technically flawless.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I understand the appeal behind Morroblivion or Skywind because the jump in technology is really significant. The jump from Fallout New Vegas (Gamebyro 2007) to Fallout 4 (Gamebyro 2015) is less significant and unless the new quest they're modding in is really small, I can't see it ever being completed unless this guy is the jack of all trades and his friends are willing to script to completion. Not to mention the Fallout modding community is considerably smaller and the really talented modders are shared between the franchises. How many of them are still interested in Fallout 4, aren't working on something related to TESRenewal/Tamriel Rebuilt, working on their own poo poo and are willing to put in a bunch of :effort: for something that will most likely fail?

By the time this is anywhere close to release, OpenNV will be a thing and it'll be better because it isn't constrained by Bethesda's awful tech anymore.

Lurdiak posted:

Fallout 4's problems (outside of obvious things like the HATE NEWSPAPER interface) are in sloppy world/quest design, really bad optimization in various areas, and writing. I don't know who you're talking about that would consider it an unsuitable base for a New Vegas mod but that thinks New Vegas, a glorified unstable fallout 3 mod that looks like rear end, is technically flawless.

NV into FO4 would be a fairly neat transition compared to MW into Skyrim since they didn't remove huge features like spellcrafting or anything but both games are in an awful technical state. A port only increases graphical fidelity, which I'll admit is attractive but it's not what modders are concerned with. The sooner everyone moves away from Bethesda's tech (including Bethesda themselves) the better. The open source implementations have far more of a future than a mod-remake thing.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 27, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Fallout 4 version of the engine would actually have no serious performance issues if Bethesda had better implemented their third party Occlusion Culling and done some basic optimizations from a world design point of view.

The biggest problem with FO4's performance is that, for whatever reason, Umbra works really poorly. It is incredibly inconsistent in how it judges what objects are and are not visible to the player, and what objects can and can not block line of sight. On any general scene in downtown Boston the game is rendering at least 2-3 times more of the world than is actually visible, which means that it pretty frequently hits 10,000+ draw calls.

While this system is certainly flawed Bethesda could have found ways around it, either by partitioning parts of the city off like in Fallout 3 or NV, or better yet, just designing the city and its assets in such a way so as to work around their technical limitations. Instead, we have problems like assets being overly complicated and expensive, and a layout that seems designed almost specifically designed to exacerbate the problems with their OC.

For example, the elevated highway that runs through the east side of Boston has about a dozen individual pieces. One of the smallest of these pieces has a triangle count about 12x that of an individual building, and since the pieces are pretty huge chunks, they don't really cull in any reasonable way. A single chunk of highway being visible is enough to drop my FPS from 60 to 30. Cutting the highway up into smaller individual chunks, lowering it, or just removing it from Boston entirely would dramatically improve performance.

The interior of Goodneighbor does not have low poly assets while in the Commonwealth worldspace, and its walls are designed in such a way so as to just barely not properly cull from most angles.

There are a really, really large number of bombed out buildings with walls thin enough that that they don't work as occluders, and many of them are located in the most performance intensive areas of the game. This means that they really do nothing for performance besides sink FPS. Nearly all of them have no actual function in terms of gameplay.

The list almost certainly goes on, but good lord it's just absolutely baffling to me that some of these decisions made it into release, and even more that they survived a year of patches.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 27, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's clear obvious that Bethesda for some reason does not have good optimisation pipelines in place. The HD texture pack was a good example: if it was properly pipelined, they would've been able to trigger a re-packaging at a higher resolution than previously. Instead, they just kinda dumped all of their high-res files into the pack and called it a day, leading to textures a quarter inch wide at 4096x4096.

Or on the same topic, there's the fact that even for basic shipping textures, there are mods and tools that just improve performance by actually saving them properly with decent formatting without actually decreasing their quality at all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

turn off the TV posted:

There's a black 10mm pistol retexture on the Nexus that's a palate swap of the HD pack diffuse textures, but then also replaces specular maps with copies of the diffuse maps and the normals are completely black. I would let this guy know that he's a bit mistaken about how these textures work but I would probably get banned lol
poo poo, don't offer criticism ever man. I got warned for saying "The picatinny rails on that shotgun look a bit off. Here is an example of what they look like"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I legitimately do not find New Vegas fun because the shooting feels so bad and the world looks like poo poo because of what gamebryo 2007 is capable of. Like walking around a desert that has no shadows and the lighting of an overcast day outside my apartment is uncanny valley as poo poo for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

I legitimately do not find New Vegas fun because the shooting feels so bad and the world looks like poo poo because of what gamebryo 2007 is capable of. Like walking around a desert that has no shadows and the lighting of an overcast day outside my apartment is uncanny valley as poo poo for me.

You can definitely improve the lighting a lot with the right mods, but you can't make the people not look like clay mannequins.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean I've tried a bunch of those mods but they didn't really help. Like it felt like it was slapping filters over it because they couldn't address a core engine issue. Like, maybe my reinstalls are hosed but I could never get that game looking in a way that wasn't weird as poo poo.

I know the bad people models are basically unfixable. That doesn't bother me as much for some reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean I've tried a bunch of those mods but they didn't really help. Like it felt like it was slapping filters over it because they couldn't address a core engine issue. Like, maybe my reinstalls are hosed but I could never get that game looking in a way that wasn't weird as poo poo.

I know the bad people models are basically unfixable. That doesn't bother me as much for some reason.

The New Vegas ENB includes shadows on a lot of objects, but yeah, finding one that doesn't look bizarre is usually pretty difficult.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Y'all are ignoring the fact that New Vegas and Fallout 3 (to a lesser extent) had a lot more gameplay depth with skills, traits, more than 4 dialog choices, the ability to have your skills affect those choices, different armor types, etc. These things aren't fixable.

Some of them might be able to be cobbled together with extensive scripting but as the existing DT mod shows, it's going to have serious issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Y'all are ignoring the fact that New Vegas and Fallout 3 (to a lesser extent) had a lot more gameplay depth with skills, traits, more than 4 dialog choices, the ability to have your skills affect those choices, different armor types, etc. These things aren't fixable.

Those aren't engine problems tho.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ugh???

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember there used to be a mod for skyrim that would have your character turn his head to look at talking NPCs. Does that exist for FO4?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

turn off the TV posted:

If it's anything like the project to remake Half-Life in the HL2 engine it'll take eight years to release anything and still won't be finished. :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Crow posted:

Some of them might be able to be cobbled together with extensive scripting but as the existing DT mod shows, it's going to have serious issues.

Fallout 4 also has a lot more gameplay depth in terms of moment to moment gameplay. It's absolutely inferior as an RPG to NV, but it's much better as an FPS. The thing is, though, the elements that made NV good are still absolutely possible in Fallout 4. Just because nobody has done them yet doesn't mean it isn't possible, but on that note, some of the things which you've mentioned have already been done in FO4. I know that there are at least a few mods which do traits, and there's more than one mod that does DT. There are even different damage types and resistances in the vanilla game, they just aren't really used.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Those aren't engine problems tho.

They might as well be for modders.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gobblecoque posted:

They might as well be for modders.

Not really. The only thing that I'm not sure is doable is adding skills again, but I honestly don't care that they're gone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

There are even different damage types and resistances in the vanilla game, they just aren't really used.

It really feels like the decision to switch a bunch of uncommon damage types to the general "energy" umbrella was made very late in development. Like they turned off a couple switches a week before launch.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

turn off the TV posted:

Fallout 4 also has a lot more gameplay depth in terms of moment to moment gameplay. It's absolutely inferior as an RPG to NV, but it's much better as an FPS. The thing is, though, the elements that made NV good are still absolutely possible in Fallout 4. Just because nobody has done them yet doesn't mean it isn't possible, but on that note, some of the things which you've mentioned have already been done in FO4. I know that there are at least a few mods which do traits, and there's more than one mod that does DT. There are even different damage types and resistances in the vanilla game, they just aren't really used.

How do you figure? Genuinely curious.

Also all those additional modded gameplay elements you mention (besides traits I guess) all have serious issues of one sort out another last I looked at them. If there are some that are well implemented and have no issues let me know because I'd love to try them out.

Don't get me wrong is love to go back to the Mojave in an updated engine, the point is there is a lot fundamentally missing and fallout 4, shadow as it is, isn't going to bring them back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter. :smith:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I do agree with him that Fallout 4 does do the shooting dudes thing better. Guns in F3/NV always kinda felt more like magic staves that cast bullet rather than guns.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I do agree with him that Fallout 4 does do the shooting dudes thing better. Guns in F3/NV always kinda felt more like magic staves that cast bullet rather than guns.

Yeah, Fallout 4 is an across the board improvement in the 'shooting bullets at mans' department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The weapon modification mechanic and lack of equipment fatigue are massively at odds with New Vegas's system, particularly its focus on unique weapons and weapon types. That for sure would be a pretty major problem.

And yeah, the dialogue system would have to be completely revamped from vanilla, though other mods have laid the groundwork for that already.