Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This episode made me want to work for Gus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Walt is human garbage but even in 5a when he's at his worst what kind of monster doesn't cheer when he makes a watch laser?

Also what exactly was that hearing and remorse statement for, exactly? I get that Jimmy pleading not guilty to the B&E charges was because he wanted to get it down to a misdemeanor, but I thought the "Make an apology and no crime for a year" deal was dependent on Jimmy confessing to a felony. I am dumb and must have misheard a line.

He confessed to the felony, they're going to fight Chuck in the disciplinary hearing before the Bar Association instead of trying to fight the felony. Presumably by going all Reversal of Fortune and demonstrating that Chuck tried to set Jimmy up and is also a crazy rear end in a top hat.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ehud posted:

I predicted he'd explain away the situation with Hector and his goons as a shakedown; didn't expect him to get all 'Merican with it but yeah, he really sold it. I loved his assistant manager with the little "yeah alright *clap clap*" at the end. And then afterwards he's draining buckets with trash like nothing happened. Like I said, just so drat likable right now

Hector is such scum. I loved the little detail of him scraping caked poo poo off of his shoe onto Gus's desk with one of Gus's pens while they talked.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

timp posted:

I predicted he'd explain away the situation with Hector and his goons as a shakedown; didn't expect him to get all 'Merican with it but yeah, he really sold it. I loved his assistant manager with the little "yeah alright *clap clap*" at the end. And then afterwards he's draining buckets with trash like nothing happened. Like I said, just so drat likable right now

Hector is such scum. I loved the little detail of him scraping caked poo poo off of his shoe onto Gus's desk with one of Gus's pens while they talked.

dude straight up gave them all a 250 dollar bonus

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

He confessed to the felony, they're going to fight Chuck in the disciplinary hearing before the Bar Association instead of trying to fight the felony. Presumably by going all Reversal of Fortune and demonstrating that Chuck tried to set Jimmy up and is also a crazy rear end in a top hat.
So there's gonna be a disciplinary hearing, not a trial? Explain this to me as if I was a child.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ehud posted:

Me too and I've never wanted to work at a fast food joint in my life, ever.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

gently caress I love Kim. It's going to be so sad if/when defending Slippin Jimmy catches up to her.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So there's gonna be a disciplinary hearing, not a trial? Explain this to me as if I was a child.

speaking as someone with zero first-hand experience in legal matters, here goes

1) Jimmy has agreed to sign a form that says "I totally did the thing I'm accused of, but I'm very sorry about it"

2) In exchange for signing the form, Jimmy will not have to go through a trial in a court of law, and will not have to go to jail

3) However, Jimmy now needs to straighten up and fly right in the eyes of the law, or else he'll be tossed in jail as though he was found guilty of those crimes by a jury

4) Because Jimmy has now confessed to committing a crime, he faces potential disbarment pending a hearing before the New Mexico Bar Association

5) Kim & Jimmy's strategy for the hearing likely revolves around painting Chuck as a petty, mentally unstable gently caress who set out to ruin Jimmy's life for personal reasons, and who therefore should not be taken seriously

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Jimmy got a pre-trial diversion which is basically crime rehab in lieu of jail time. However he still has to confess to said felonies and that confession is being sent to the Bar. Chuck doesn't need Jimmy to spend time in jail but he WANTS him dis-barred.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
jimmy now has to outlawyer an ultralawyer with the resources of dozens of regular lawyers in front of a bunch of superlawyers trained by said ultralawyer.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Argus Zant posted:

speaking as someone with zero first-hand experience in legal matters, here goes

1) Jimmy has agreed to sign a form that says "I totally did the thing I'm accused of, but I'm very sorry about it"

2) In exchange for signing the form, Jimmy will not have to go through a trial in a court of law, and will not have to go to jail

3) However, Jimmy now needs to straighten up and fly right in the eyes of the law, or else he'll be tossed in jail as though he was found guilty of those crimes by a jury

4) Because Jimmy has now confessed to committing a crime, he faces potential disbarment pending a hearing before the New Mexico Bar Association

5) Kim & Jimmy's strategy for the hearing likely revolves around painting Chuck as a petty, mentally unstable gently caress who set out to ruin Jimmy's life for personal reasons, and who therefore should not be taken seriously

Ah, okay. Hell yeah, gimme next week already. I wanna see the Disciplinary Hearing of the Century.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

jimmy now has to outlawyer an ultralawyer with the resources of dozens of regular lawyers in front of a bunch of superlawyers trained by said ultralawyer.

Yeah but said ultralawyer isn't going to bring the whole firm against Jimmy, it'll just be him and probably Hamlin, then Kim will play the tape that I think we all assume she recorded, Jimmy's got photos of Chucks house basically being an insane asylum run by the patients, and just about all of Chucks professional credibility will be shot.

At least, I'm assuming that's how this is gonna shake out.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
So Gus giving that speech at the fire station is definitely more foreshadowing that something big is going to happen with fire at the end of the season, right?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If Black Lady was Chucks lawyer then why was Hamlin there acting like his lawyer and BL was like the middle man

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

If Black Lady was Chucks lawyer then why was Hamlin there acting like his lawyer and BL was like the middle man

She's the prosecutor. She's just disgustingly sympathetic to Chuck and his "condition."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cnut the Great posted:

So Gus giving that speech at the fire station is definitely more foreshadowing that something big is going to happen with fire at the end of the season, right?

considering the oil lamp and exposed wires yes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

She's the prosecutor. She's just disgustingly sympathetic to Chuck and his "condition."

Plus Chuck is, at least in the eyes of the law, the victim here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Basically exactly what Chuck said about the fact that this isn't a court so evidence rules are different is what's going to bite him in the rear end. Going to trial and using the "Discredit Chuck" strategy would've been a losing proposition because it doesn't change the facts of what Jimmy did being illegal. But at a disciplinary hearing it's not a matter of law, it's up to the discretion of the other lawyers hearing the case. So now demonstrating that Chuck is insane and vindictive has a real chance of success.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Selachian posted:

Plus Chuck is, at least in the eyes of the law, the victim here.

Essentially, breaking and entering is a criminal charge. In a civil suit the dispute is between two private parties, ie Jimmy vs Chuck, but in a criminal case like breaking and entering, it's between Jimmy and New Mexico. In criminal cases the accused is considered a danger to society, as they may have broken a law that is put in place to protect everyone, and so the government fights them in court with a prosecutor, because again, a burglar is potentially a danger to everyone and to the government's own integrity. Chuck is merely the victim so he has his own lawyer that is not the prosecutor. Howard's role is just to advise Chuck.

Basically imagine Jimmy's will-writing, if two people had a disagreement about say, who got what according to the way the will was written, or whether Nana was out of her right mind when she gave X the farm and it legitimately should be Y's, where no one has actually broken any laws, they'll need to hire their own lawyers. That's why lawyers write wills, to protect against civil disputes like this and get witnesses to say "yes Nana is of sound mind." The state doesn't give a poo poo. Once there's an accused lawbreaker though it's the state's job to enforce the law, so they'll have a prosecutor to fight their own case.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Basically exactly what Chuck said about the fact that this isn't a court so evidence rules are different is what's going to bite him in the rear end. Going to trial and using the "Discredit Chuck" strategy would've been a losing proposition because it doesn't change the facts of what Jimmy did being illegal. But at a disciplinary hearing it's not a matter of law, it's up to the discretion of the other lawyers hearing the case. So now demonstrating that Chuck is insane and vindictive has a real chance of success.

Yeah I admit I thought based on last episode that we were going to go to trial and that Jimmy was going to win a seemingly impossible case by Saul-ing it up, but I guess as usual the show is going a slightly more plausible yet likely even more satisfying route.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I worked at a Raising Cane's in the southwest, I honestly have no idea what the gently caress we'd have done in that situation.

Love me some Cane's. In high school we would sneak out to go to the original location down by LSU. This was before they were all over town. Box used to have five fingers, not four.

I always imagined the chick at Los Pollos Hermanos to be like a more flavorful version of Chick-fil-A.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

clown shoes posted:

Love me some Cane's. In high school we would sneak out to go to the original location down by LSU. This was before they were all over town. Box used to have five fingers, not four.

I always imagined the chick at Los Pollos Hermanos to be like a more flavorful version of Chick-fil-A.

Except obviously Los Pollos Hermanos is down with the gays.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

clown shoes posted:

I imagine them as more KFC, well more Popeye's since it's actually decent, but instead of the creole twist, it's probably a mix of expected NM/Tex-mex flavors and Gus's chilean heritage. Everyone seems to be ordering buckets and x piece meals and stuff.

I have a weird fascination with trying Los Pollos Hermanos.

Cnut the Great posted:

Except obviously Los Pollos Hermanos is down with the gays.

"Los Culos Hermanos". Lol, Hector is an rear end.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I've loved every episode of both shows up until now but this was garbage filler. Gus' backstory is some boring bullshit that would have been left better unexplained, but it took up almost 30 minutes of this episode.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
If Jimmy destroyed a copy of the tape then he technically didn't destroy evidence, right?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I've loved every episode of both shows up until now but this was garbage filler. Gus' backstory is some boring bullshit that would have been left better unexplained, but it took up almost 30 minutes of this episode.

Your post is bullshit.

Every minute that Gus is on screen is a shining diamond of brilliance that mortal eyes were not meant to see.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

clown shoes posted:

If Jimmy destroyed a copy of the tape then he technically didn't destroy evidence, right?

"Evidence" is irrelevant, what matters in the eyes of the law is he kicked Chuck's door down and destroyed something that belonged to Chuck. The bar association, however, might be more interested in why which is where this is going to get interesting.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If you didn't like mike vs chuck : the drilling than break your TV you don't deserve it

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

She is just the absolute perfect typical democrat-affiliated and blatantly biased public prosecutor. They got that down to a loving T.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Every minute that Gus is on screen is a shining diamond of brilliance that mortal eyes were not meant to see.

It's distracting from the main plot and we all know where it's going.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I imagine them as more KFC, well more Popeye's since it's actually decent, but instead of the creole twist, it's probably a mix of expected NM/Tex-mex flavors and Gus's chilean heritage. Everyone seems to be ordering buckets and x piece meals and stuff.

I have a weird fascination with trying Los Pollos Hermanos.

You could order buckets of those KFC tenders but they got cheap and made the serving sizes smaller.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It is not the destination, but the journey.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

It's bringing Mike into the fold and it's interesting, especially if it directly results in paralyzing Hector.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

If you didn't like mike vs chuck : the drilling than break your TV you don't deserve it

I love how Jimmy essentially becomes the audience surrogate afterwards and goes, "So Mike, what did you think of Chuck??? Tell us what you thought of Chuck, Mike!" and Mike just stares and says absolutely nothing and blueballs all of us. Vince, you clever troll.

R-Type posted:

She is just the absolute perfect typical democrat-affiliated and blatantly biased public prosecutor. They got that down to a loving T.

Uh yeah okay sure. Fuckin' Democrats, am I right? I think that's what everyone got from that scene.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LeJackal posted:

It is not the destination, but the journey.

I'd much rather see more of Saul's journey then Gus's.

R-Type posted:

Prosecutor's are not supposed to be sympathetic to the offender, that's not their role within the system.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I'd much rather see more of Saul's journey then Gus's.

Why? After all...

MiddleOne posted:

we all know where it's going.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I hope we get Ernesto testifying about how he got fired for doing exactly what Chuck social-engineered him to do. Even in an at-will state that's gotta be some kind of wrongful termination suit waiting to happen.

Whatever legal suckerpunch Jim & Kim are winding up for, I feel like the odds of it getting Chuck disbarred instead are pretty decent at this point.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Can you get disbarred on grounds of mental incompetence?

Is there any chance that they both get disbarred and it turns out Saul was just practicing without a license for years? That's why he changed his name as well?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 2, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

I love how Jimmy essentially becomes the audience surrogate afterwards and goes, "So Mike, what did you think of Chuck??? Tell us what you thought of Chuck, Mike!" and Mike just stares and says absolutely nothing and blueballs all of us. Vince, you clever troll.

Uh yeah okay sure. Fuckin' Democrats, am I right? I think that's what everyone got from that scene.

No, what I was referring to is a stereotype. I work with a lot of municipal courts and they got the personality and behavior absolutely right for the characters you would expect to work within those systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't think Kim could've been recording them there. I guess that makes more sense than what I thought, which was that Jimmy was pretty sure he knew where the original tape was being held (based on the note that Mike found) and Chuck saying "Yeah that was the duplicate, the original is under lock and key" confirmed it for him and now they're going to go steal it. Hard to imagine Kim being on board for that.

Having two recordings brought in turns it into a proper circus and might make the bar just throw up its arms and go screw it, not getting involved in this petty brother bullshit, you're on your own.

I like seeing parts of the plan in motion and waiting to see the reveal, I feel like we have a good payoff coming in the hearing next episode.

• Locked thread