Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Nice, will try that out. Does it matter what state the tomatoes are in if you are blending them? Do you just get whole peeled tomatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I just dump the can out as is and blend away! Careful not to over do it, you'll release a ton of extra water from the tomatoes if you overblend then. I stick blend for maybe 8-10 seconds.

These are the tomatoes I use - Carmelina San Marzano Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree, 28 ounce (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEW2SXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QOr7ybXEEPCXJ

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the dinner thread, since this like, counts as pizza, I'm pretty sure.

I had the day off so, spent the whole day cooking and made whatever you want to call this. Pizzaan? Nazza?

Made a batch of Madhur Jaffrey's naan, then a big batch of palak paneer and chicken tikka masala with thighs. The chicken thighs were grilled about 1 inch over the top of oak wood coals in the oven, which gave the tikka a really intense smokiness that was awesome.

They thickened up enough in the oven that there was no dripping/sliding. It was pretty stable, and I could see this being awesome street food.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

cr0y posted:

drat that looks nice. I wanted to try my hand at detroit style but for some reason square pans are super expensive? :confused:

I just use a 9x13 metal cake pan. One day I'll get the authentic pans, but the cake pans work well enough if you just want to try out the technique.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Baby's first pizza

I didn't use a pizza stone or make my own sauce or knead it myself - and I used a wine bottle to roll it out instead of my hands - but now I never need to buy another frozen pizza again :downs:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-posting from the dinner thread. The baking steal + broiler seems to be working pretty well for me and I have stopped using the low moisture cover-your-whole-pizza-with-shredded-cheese in favor of the lighter fresh mozzarella in pockets.

So drat good.

Sopressata

Shaved Brussels sprouts and pancetta

Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, arugula

Fresh burrata

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Made another pie with the PizzaQue last night.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Looking great man. Really impressive results. Those crispy edges on the soppresata... So good. Don't be a tease though. Show us those bottoms. :quagmire:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Doom Rooster posted:

Looking great man. Really impressive results. Those crispy edges on the soppresata... So good. Don't be a tease though. Show us those bottoms. :quagmire:

Crap, didn't think to take a picture of the bottoms :/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
All good. Those are some great pies, and I'm sure you'll be making plenty more in the future.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Only cooking on the grill from now on. Lid thermometer says 550+, but the stone is way hotter than my oven.

Shrimp, pesto, fresh mozz. Finished with arugula. Trader Joe's dough because I'm lazy. It's fine if you take it out of the bag early, make a ball, and let it rest.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
With the grill in mind... anyone tried a baking steel on the grill? I'm kind of worried about it bending the grates.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Only cooking on the grill from now on. Lid thermometer says 550+, but the stone is way hotter than my oven.

Lid thermometers are usually garbage, even on halfway decent grills. Get a digital thermometer if you're going to do any kind of grilling where temperature control is important (low and slow smoking). Get an infrared thermometer for checking your stone.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Am I a horrible human being for using the crust mix from a Chef Boyardee Pizza kit to make a quick pie when I'm feeling lazy?
I let it proof for an hour or so, and it comes out way better than it has any right to.
I don't use the "sauce" and "cheese"

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

MullardEL34 posted:

Am I a horrible human being for using the crust mix from a Chef Boyardee Pizza kit to make a quick pie when I'm feeling lazy?
I let it proof for an hour or so, and it comes out way better than it has any right to.
I don't use the "sauce" and "cheese"

Please post photos of this

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

Please post photos of this

All I have is a photo of the one I made at 2:30AM the other night. Came out pretty good. Topped with doctored up Don Pepino sauce, Mozarella/Fontina blend, pepperoni, black olives and crimini mushrooms. Baked for 13ish minutes in a toaster oven at 450º on a steel pan. Burned stuff on the edge of the crust is just cheese. The resulting crust was nice and light, yet crisp on the bottom. Way better than any frozen pizza I'd usually be stuck eating in the middle of the night.

Next time I'll take in-progress photos.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 30, 2017

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Ok, I had a craving for Pizza at 1AM, so here we go.

Mix cust mx with water, cover in olive oil and let stand.

I let it proof in an oven with the light on for 30mins.

Into the Pan

Sauced

Topped

Baked for 13 minutes @ 450

Finished Product.

Crust Shot.

Bottom Shot.

Ingredients of the crust mix for those interested.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That looks way better than I would expect from chef-boy-r-dee.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Got my Nerdsteel or whatever it's called, made some 'zas.

hosed up the formating on the pictures; gotta fix this post later.

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2017

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
In case someone is interested, there's a decent deal on one of the countertop "clamshell" electric pizza ovens on eBay. $27 shipped and listed as New condition.

See my earlier posts in this thread for more info on modification and some pies I've made. My opinion is that these things are unbeatable short of a full-blown outdoor oven setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292098348828

EDIT:

Relisted for $24 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pizza-Bella-Maker-/292108276971

clockworx fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 6, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

clockworx posted:

In case someone is interested, there's a decent deal on one of the countertop "clamshell" electric pizza ovens on eBay. $27 shipped and listed as New condition.

See my earlier posts in this thread for more info on modification and some pies I've made. My opinion is that these things are unbeatable short of a full-blown outdoor oven setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292098348828

EDIT:

Relisted for $24 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pizza-Bella-Maker-/292108276971

Purchased. I figure for $24, why not.

I made some pizza last night that might be my best one yet using a lovely gas oven and a recipe from the pizzamaking forums. Only problem I'm still having is getting the dough stretched out thin enough. It's tough to stretch it out uniform and I keep getting some parts thicker than others.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 6, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hi Pizza thread! Still making pizza in the wood oven about every other week. Constantly getting better.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and shaved parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear god that lamb. :stonk:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MrYenko posted:

Dear god that lamb. :stonk:

Seriously, holy poo poo that looks amazing. Pizza's my favorite food but I wouldn't be able to keep myself from just shoving all of that lamb right into my mouth by itself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DR your pizza crusts look so perfect

what's your process for proofing your dough? i pull my cold fermented dough out of the fridge a couple hours before i use it and it's never stretchy enough. if i take it out too early i feel like it turns into a sticky loving mess without really having a nice stretchy texture.

i've been using kenji's NY pizza dough recipe

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all! I ended up eating that leftover lamb by itself a lot, and then tossed it into a grilled cheese on rye bread, also amazing.

BU, I had similar problems, and while I won't guarantee that it will work the same way for a NY style dough, here's what I do now... 48 hrs total. I batch ferment cold for the first 36 or so, then get up and ball the dough the morning of the day I want to use it. When balling, I actually fold it in on itself probably a dozen times, which tightens it all back up. Back into the fridge until about an hour before I want to use it. By then the gluten has relaxed enough for stretching, but it hasn't loosened up TOO much.

Back when I balled straight after making it, by 2-3 days later, there was no tension left in it, and it would get thin spots and not rise as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I used to only believe in the church of the thin pizza, but I have been romanced by the heretics of the Detroit style.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I used to only believe in the church of the thin pizza, but I have been romanced by the heretics of the Detroit style.

Plop a fat blob of cold burrata right as that comes out of the oven and taste heaven.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

On electric pizza ovens, since there was some talk a few posts up:

I have a G3 Ferrari Delizia electric countertop pizza oven: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-Ferrari-...%3D321253549267

It's goddamn awesome. Way way better than I was every able to achieve with my regular oven and steel, skillet/broiler method, I tried just about everything suggested for people without a real pizza oven and had some success, but the first time I used my Ferrari it blew everything I'd made before out of the water.

It's been a while since I made pizza in it as I've been busy organising my wedding/honeymoon but I'll make one soon and post pics.

I agree with whoever said up there that it's the best solution short of having a real woodfired oven.

Edit: Apparently it's the most popular pizza oven in Italy and I can believe it.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 20, 2017

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

On electric pizza ovens, since there was some talk a few posts up:

I have a G3 Ferrari Delizia electric countertop pizza oven: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-Ferrari-...%3D321253549267

It's goddamn awesome. Way way better than I was every able to achieve with my regular oven and steel, skillet/broiler method, I tried just about everything suggested for people without a real pizza oven and had some success, but the first time I used my Ferrari it blew everything I'd made before out of the water.

It's been a while since I made pizza in it as I've been busy organising my wedding/honeymoon but I'll make one soon and post pics.

I agree with whoever said up there that it's the best solution short of having a real woodfired oven.

Edit: Apparently it's the most popular pizza oven in Italy and I can believe it.

If you can mod them, they're even more amazing. Being able to crank out actual Naples style pizzas in 90 seconds from a ~$50 oven is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akmjnhb9pcc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is it better than the sur la table one?

I have that one but the stone got cracked and I couldn't find a replacement stone, I could just get this as a whole new thing instead I guess

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Memorial Day pizzas!

Margherita about to go in

Margherita

Marinara

House Special - Soppressata and Arugula

Diavola - Calabrian Peppers and Soppressata

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
Woot has the "Pizzacraft Pizzaria Stovetop Pizza Oven" today:

http://home.woot.com/plus/pizzacraft-pizzaria-stovetop-pizza-oven?ref=hm_gh_hm_1_wp_8

I've never used it, but my guess would be "Better than your standard kitchen oven, but probably not much else". It looks like the heat all comes from the bottom, which I find usually means either uneven cooking or a drier crust due to needing a longer cook time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ogopogo posted:

Memorial Day pizzas!

Margherita about to go in

Margherita

Marinara

House Special - Soppressata and Arugula

Diavola - Calabrian Peppers and Soppressata

Some sexy lookin' pies there! Bein' a little skimpy on the olive oil on that Marinara though. Granted, I like mine basically drowning.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Some sexy lookin' pies there! Bein' a little skimpy on the olive oil on that Marinara though. Granted, I like mine basically drowning.

Thanks! Won't deny it's a little light on the oil for sure, though that may have been the one with a healthy spoonful of chili oil, haha!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made a couple of kenjis no knead pan pizzas. pepperoni and garlic, cherry tomato, basil and garlic

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good God, those pan pizzas look stunning. Crispy outside, but soft and bready inside is exactly how I like it. Nice to have a little dipping bowl with olive oil and salt for the crust.

I've got a new favorite tomato sauce, thought I'd share. Oven baked stick blended! Great for both pizza and pasta. Much more flavor than no-cook or pan cooked with canned tomatoes, uses fresh tomatoes so you can get the most out of the very best, but it also makes quite bland tomatoes shine. And no need to scald and peel. It's actually less active work than pan cooking canned tomatoes, just takes a bit more time passively waiting for it. It's also easy to make in bigger batches, you're only limited by your oven proof container.

- 6 regular size tomatoes, best you can get or whatever you can get.
- A small yellow onion or half a regular one.
- One clove of garlic, add more as desired
- Dried thyme and oregano
- Olive oil , salt & pepper obviously
- Fresh basil if desired.
- Pinch of dried chili if desired.

Slice tomatoes and onion in 1/4" thick rings, place in oven proof glass tray. Peel and smash a clove of garlic, add. Sprinkle with salt, olive oil, thyme, oregano and optional dried chili, stir it even. Bake at 390F for an hour or so. Stir it now and then, you don't want any bits sticking out and burning. The tomatoes will release their liquid and it will all go quite soggy. It is finished when half of liquid has evaporated, onion rings should be golden and floppy. The more it evaporates, the thicker the final sauce, getting it exactly so-and-so thick isn't that important. Let it cool for a little while, then add everything to your blending container. Blend smooth, season with salt and pepper. I find the first salting to be enough. If you want to use fresh basil, this is when you add it. Add fresh leaves to the smooth sauce, blend to incorporate. Enjoy.

I find fresh basil flavor tends to disappear when I use it on pizza, it's better to add the fresh leaves as garnish once it's cooked. But for pasta, blending in fresh leaves just before you plate makes the most out of the flavor of those as well. The sauce itself looks a bit bland and orange, but it has a really deep, concentrated, almost smoky tomato flavor. Give it a try.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ok, been going pizza crazy the past month or so. My wife got me a pizza steel and peel for my b-day to support my habits. I've been getting a ton better with my dough manipulation (partly because the recipe I was using at first made a really wet and hard to work with dough) and testing out different sauce recipes, ingredients, and dough types.

This is the master dough recipe from The Pizza Bible with 100% All-Trumps flour, fridged for 48 hours. Basic tomato sauce of a can of San Marzanos lightly pulsed with garlic, olive oil, oregano, and chili flakes. I'm not sure if I liked it any more than my cooked down New York style sauce I've made previously. Trader Joes block mozzarella (quite good for pizza). Ezzo's pepperoni. The pepperoni shrunk and moved on me, messing up the distribution attractiveness. Finished with a little pecorino romano.

The bones of the crust were drat good, but the body crust was a little chewy on me. I fear I may have overworked it before the fridge time, or my bake was a little under.

I'm going to be trying some other dough recipes soon to see which works best.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Recommendations for a good wood pizza peel? It will be used for building the pizza and transferring to the oven. I've got an aluminum already to take the pie out once it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Recommendations for a good wood pizza peel? It will be used for building the pizza and transferring to the oven. I've got an aluminum already to take the pie out once it's done.

I love the super peel

https://superpeel.com/