Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inspector Gesicht posted:

*Commander Shepard listens to this, sitting down, with her legs spread wide open.*

I'm glad that Cerberus fixed Shepard's hosed up spine between ME1 and ME2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

*fold arms,stand at angle*

*weird karate chop hand movement*

*exit scene left*
You forgot "............................ I should go."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You forgot "............................ I should go."

Please enjoy the song "I Should Go"
https://m.soundcloud.com/geekfitgirl/i-should-go-a-frozen-mass

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got a used 360 so that I could play a few old favourites/finally get around to beating a few games that I liked but was bad at, and started a run of Mirror's Edge (Furthest I've ever got was the boat level because that start with all the gunmen is bullshit). Something I like, as I'm keeping an eye out for collectibles, is that the markers in the chase sequences seem to be in places that you can easily spot them, like the (I think, I didn't find the third one) second bag in the first Chapter when you are being chased by a helicopter, which has the symbol right there in front of you across a small jump, so you can see that the bag is there somewhere before jumping to the staircase to the left. That's pretty fair design.

Also I never got the griping about the cutscene art style, I feel it works fine with the stark colour scheme of the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm cautious about Death Stranding. As much of an apologist as I am for Kojima, I think everyone needs some editorial restraint.

For me it's a win win scenario. A bad kojima game is still fun because even if he fucks up, it's fun to watch the trainwreck.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like the side activities in inFamous: Second Son. There's only a handful and they will get repetitive fast but you don't need to do a lot to control a district. Like it's very Assassins Creed in how I have to do one thing to survey the given area (ascend a tower in AssCreed, destroy a DUP station in inFam), and then do a bunch of side activities to gain control.

But they're not too bad here because it's generally fun to use superpowers in this game and I just feel like compared to AssCreed you're not drowning in as much side crap. Looking at the map the space between collectibles and side activities are fairly spread out. AC games usually have icons overlapping each other for every square inch of the map.

Also I like the graffiti mini game here. You can choose to do evil or good graffiti. I've never done the evil tags so I dunno how edgy they get but the good ones are mostly sight gags based on what's around the tagging area. I was expecting some Banksy political pandering since it's stencil graffiti but the most they'll snipe at are the ingame military force.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vic posted:

For me it's a win win scenario. A bad kojima game is still fun because even if he fucks up, it's fun to watch the trainwreck.

As for what a good kojima game is like? We may one day find out...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

2house2fly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

2house2fly posted:

Snatcher came out almost 30 years ago though?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Action Tortoise posted:

Also I like the graffiti mini game here. You can choose to do evil or good graffiti. I've never done the evil tags so I dunno how edgy they get but the good ones are mostly sight gags based on what's around the tagging area. I was expecting some Banksy political pandering since it's stencil graffiti but the most they'll snipe at are the ingame military force.

The "evil" graffiti is bloodier and encouraging violent rebellion. Lines of soldier heads in front of a lawnmower, etc.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

Boi....

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

2house2fly posted:

:dogbutton:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
'Reggie Takes Flight' is the best inFamous mission so far. The VA for the cop brother really put some effort into being someone who knows his supepowered brother will be a dick if he gives him the chance to fake attack him and does some B-movie quality acting as a Bioterrorist. The mission objective even says "Chase" Reggie. Hell, the mission title should have been written as an It's Always Sunny title card with the accompanying music.

Also depending on how close you are to chasing him, you will either hear your brother's soundbytes without any filter or though the filter of your cellphone.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I was not prepared for the tinker knight fight in specter knights campaign. Then again, all the boss fights have been pretty insane so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 16:51 on May 4, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hahaha, I watched this on loudspeaker with my cat sitting on my lap, and he was startled by the meowing :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mikl posted:

Hahaha, I watched this on loudspeaker with my cat sitting on my lap, and he was startled by the meowing :allears:

One of my fiance's cats likes to watch me play Nidhogg. We had to stop because she got so into it she jumped up and started attacking the characters on the screen.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My cat always does that whenever I'm playing a tower defense or RTS game; I guess the little units look like bugs to her.

On a similar, yet not nearly as cute note, while playing through The Fade in the first Dragon Age, I ended up having to switch to headphones because the player transformation noise would make my dog flip out and run around the house barking at nothing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
inFamous: Second Son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGZm1FEAKQ

this dude is literally 'i can be your angle .... or yuor devil' personified. he's great.

his backstory's written like a teenage gamer in a network crime drama but if you buddy up with him it's like watching a darksiders fight pop off around you.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 20:46 on May 4, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The little thing in Deadly Premonition is that if you don't change your suit for about a day or maybe two, flies start flying around you and you get a demerit from FBI called "stinky agent" and a pay cut.

Also this maybe

gently caress YOU CLINT

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Guy Mann posted:

I really liked the character of Code Talker in MGSV, when you meet him he looks like the biggest stereotype in the world as an old man in a cloak who smokum peace pipe with Snake but then you get to know him and he's actually an insanely gifted microbiologist who loves hamburgers and talks to you at length about the history and culture of the Diné. And he ties into the entire game's themes of language as a means of control with him being taken away from his people as a child and forced to speak English and adopt an American name, and how he gets roped into Skull Face's plan due to his fear of his native culture and language being wiped out by assimilation.

I liked this too. The bell tape was great and his philosophy of hamburgers is funny and surprisingly deep. IIRC it's like "no this isn't natural, but none of the stuff we make is, the important part is to nurture the environment you rely on instead of exploiting it to death"

Peace pipe isn't just a stereotype though I think. I remember when the first trailer with Code Talker came out seeing a post by a Dine guy who explained the significance of it and how that tied into the way it was being depicted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swamp waste posted:

I liked this too. The bell tape was great and his philosophy of hamburgers is funny and surprisingly deep. IIRC it's like "no this isn't natural, but none of the stuff we make is, the important part is to nurture the environment you rely on instead of exploiting it to death"

Peace pipe isn't just a stereotype though I think. I remember when the first trailer with Code Talker came out seeing a post by a Dine guy who explained the significance of it and how that tied into the way it was being depicted.

It's also one of the more subtle hints at the ending, in that Big Boss is a lifelong smoker yet the one time Venom takes a puff on actual tobacco instead of a vape he has a coughing fit.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I like the side activities in inFamous: Second Son. There's only a handful and they will get repetitive fast but you don't need to do a lot to control a district. Like it's very Assassins Creed in how I have to do one thing to survey the given area (ascend a tower in AssCreed, destroy a DUP station in inFam), and then do a bunch of side activities to gain control.

But they're not too bad here because it's generally fun to use superpowers in this game and I just feel like compared to AssCreed you're not drowning in as much side crap. Looking at the map the space between collectibles and side activities are fairly spread out. AC games usually have icons overlapping each other for every square inch of the map.

First Light is the same, the length suits the variety of powers and activities really well. Completing the map never felt like a chore.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
No spoilers, but the new Prey is super loving good so far and you should play it. Full of fun little touches that start basically the moment you begin playing.

Example: I heard a noise and turned around, wondered if there was an extra stool at a table in a bar. Pulled the trigger and got bonus damage for successfully guessing that the stool was a monster.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Some mild spoilers for what I saw in the demo. Despite being a little underwhelmed by the game (mostly the enemy design) this one little bit really got me and I LOVED it.

You wake up in this futuristic city and the time and date pops up and it says the year is 2027. Me? I have a big pet peeve about future dates in sci-fi. If possible it's best to either go bonkers with it or don't mention it. I don't want to get to 2027 and laugh because PREY said we'll be living in this crazy nano-utopia and we're all in the salt mines.

What follows is some Inception "dream within a dream" craziness. You escape your fake apartment only to discover you're in the bowels of some testing facility. THEN you escape THAT and discover you're on a drat space station. That was great in itself, but on top of THAT you discover a painting of JFK with his date of death underneath and it's something like 2012.

So the game got me twice in a row with the fakeout start and THEN it got me for my silly little habit of bemoaning an arbitrary date by being set in a crazy alternative timeline.

I might pick it up despite my initial misgivings because I really want to know more.

edit: Just checked the PREY thread and none of this is meant to be a surprise, apparently. Hahaha.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 08:58 on May 5, 2017

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I was getting toward the end of Dishonored 2 and doing the standard videogamey thing where you pick up everything in the early stages so you've levelled up everything you'd ever want to so going out of your way to get that last power-up is just such an effort.

I was on the approach to Dunwall Tower and came across a safe/lock shop. Someone there is obviously a bit forgetful since there's a snarky letter telling them the code to one of their own safes. Use the code, take the loot, standard. Later, I find myself in the shop owner's house and he has a nice fancy safe of his own. The Heart is telling me that there's a rune in there but I don't know the code.
I have a poke around and can't see a note or anything with the code on like you would expect and at this stage I really can't be bothered to backtrack to his store to look some more when the reward probably won't be that useful to me. I was reminded of a story the legendary physicist Richard Feynman told about his time on the Manhattan Project. Bored, he'd got really into safecracking and being a clever guy he got very good very quickly. He set his sights on cracking the general's enormous safe that had to be delivered on a crane but ultimately has to concede it's just too hard for him. He hears that one of the janitors can somehow crack it and spends ages making friends with the guy in order to learn his incredible safecracking techniques. Anyway, the janitor didn't know a thing about safecracking; despite spending christ knows how much on this safe, the general never changed the code from the default factory setting, which the janitor knew. So I thought it would be ironic if the story was the same here, the forgetful owner of the safe shop was the worst with his own home security and had it set to something dumb like... 1-2-3. It opens first time. I thought that was great, a tiny, very human bit of character you can use to your advantage.

It turned out that there's a picture with the combo on but I didn't find it so that's not the only way to work it out but it's still cool.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scarycave posted:

I was not prepared for the tinker knight fight in specter knights campaign. Then again, all the boss fights have been pretty insane so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

It's not even the only one like that. The changes in plague night were fun but really pale in comparison to how amazing spectre has been.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm sure someone mentioned this when it came out, but Uncharted 4, a game about pirates, has a lot of references to, well, pirates. Real pirates, like Henry Avery or Thomas Tew. One of the characters in the game is really knowledgeable about them, and can name almost every one he can see. Except for one, that he can't place, a pirate with a monkey as his sigil.

It's Guybrush Threepwood.

I smiled like an idiot when I saw his picture and immediately recognized him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Bloodborne

I know Chalice Dungeons get a lot of poo poo for being copy-paste rooms but the one I got had an underground meadow type area filled with hosed up looking beasts and it reminded me of the hidden garden in Lovecraft's 'The Rats in the Walls.'

I'm enjoying Ludwig's Blade since I ran with the Guts sword the most in DS3.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Prey is really very good. I bought it on a whim cheap from a reseller online because the reviews were all positive (didn't read up on it at all, just saw that people were very happy with it) and it was very system shocky in premise, which is extremely my jam.

I very nearly didn't bother with it because initially, I wasn't super into the last Prey game (although it was okay, it didn't really tickle me) but then I saw it was a total reboot with nothing to do with anything, complete wipe start from scratch kind of deal... Then I saw some of the screenshots and the trailer and nearly didn't buy it because the enemies looked... well, poo poo to be honest. Smoke monsters? C'mon.

Anyway it's an absolute blast to play and fuckin' mimics man, they've got me paranoid as gently caress. They're a fantastic enemy, seriously wondering why the concept hasn't been used before.

There are usually ways around locked doors, it's very Deus Ex-like in that regard, and you really get that "lightbulb" moment wandering around when you think of something, try it and the game is like "sure, you can do that. Go for it bro".

For example I was encountering several areas blocked off by barricaded doors, with furniture and equipment. You can upgrade yourself to be able to lift heavier and heavier things, (there is like 4 ranks in lifting poo poo, each rank allows you to lift heavier stuff, and throw it further and do more damage to enemies with thrown items). I bought the first rank, but it was ultimately disappointed that most stuff blocking the way required at least rank 2. "Oh well" I thought to myself, "I guess I'll come back to these areas later when I've found a keycard to an alternate route or upgraded myself to be able to push the poo poo out of the way".

Then I had a string of lightbulb moments. First was when I saw a skylight in a room, that clearly led to another room above the one I was in. I used the Gloo Gun to create a set of stairs up to the skylight, smash the glass and climb through. Discovered that I had just found a way into a previously inaccessable area (didn't have the required keycard). I explored it, exited through the door, and found another door, blocked by heavy poo poo. I turned to go back, when I spotted an explosive canister. "I wonder..." I thought.

So now barricades are blown open at will, and I carry a canister of ordinance everywhere I go as a percussive lockpick. Great loving game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

Bloodborne

I know Chalice Dungeons get a lot of poo poo for being copy-paste rooms but the one I got had an underground meadow type area filled with hosed up looking beasts and it reminded me of the hidden garden in Lovecraft's 'The Rats in the Walls.'

I'm enjoying Ludwig's Blade since I ran with the Guts sword the most in DS3.

I personally loved them because while the main game is obviously more visually distinct, having a randomised layout kept me on my toes while in the main areas I'd already memorised where the enemies showed up. Also those bell ringing women were nightmarish down there as their summoned creatures hunt you down no matter where you are (so long as there aren't elevators or closed doors between you)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Expect this thread to be taken over by Prey moments soon, the game is full of little touches.

(First 10m of the game) Pretty sure I remember your character tapping their feet to the beat of the song when you get into the helicopter for the first ride.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
There is a mini-game in Specter Knight (I think its the only one) that I've been struggling with for awhile, but I finally managed to beat it and it feels good.
It's also pretty cool that even if you lose, you'd still get something out of the game so even during the many times I lost, I still felt like I was getting something out of it.

Also there is a cloak you can buy that makes you survive cliffs or spikes, you do lose a lot of health and darkness when it does happen though.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The only armour worth buying is the Rail Mail that turns the game into Tony Hawk's Pro Specter.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
One of the DLC bosses in Nioh has a big speech lined up for you when you first enter his arena. Declares his name, who he is, that he'll die before allowing you to stand against his Lord, etc, but you can at any time just attack him and interrupt it - he gets very whiny if you do this, but you get an achievement ("Good Listener") if you stand there and let him finish. :haw:

Arkham Knight has a ton of stuff like that, but no trophies for doing so unfortunately.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

poptart_fairy posted:

One of the DLC bosses in Nioh has a big speech lined up for you when you first enter his arena. Declares his name, who he is, that he'll die before allowing you to stand against his Lord, etc, but you can at any time just attack him and interrupt it - he gets very whiny if you do this, but you get an achievement ("Good Listener") if you stand there and let him finish. :haw:

Arkham Knight has a ton of stuff like that, but no trophies for doing so unfortunately.

I conaider that a plus, not every little detail needs to be made a achievment objective. They are for the people who play the game attentively.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

poptart_fairy posted:

See also Asura's Wrath.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Bloodborne

Paarl was the hardest brick wall I've had to fight yet. I had a good spot to consistently farm blood vials outside of gasoigne's lantern but I noticed I couldn't warp into it for some reason so I travelled back and fought off a hunter with Eileen. Got Henryk's armor in the shop afterwards and it had enough bolt resist to win the fight.

This game out of all the series has the most intimidating looking bosses but it feels amazing when you get their patterns down and perfectly dodge through attacks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samovar posted:

See also Asura's Wrath.

(B/Circle) Shut [Boss Name] Up. :toughguy:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Action Tortoise posted:

Bloodborne

Paarl was the hardest brick wall I've had to fight yet. I had a good spot to consistently farm blood vials outside of gasoigne's lantern but I noticed I couldn't warp into it for some reason so I travelled back and fought off a hunter with Eileen. Got Henryk's armor in the shop afterwards and it had enough bolt resist to win the fight.

This game out of all the series has the most intimidating looking bosses but it feels amazing when you get their patterns down and perfectly dodge through attacks.

And the further you get and the more monstrous the things you fight become, the stronger that feeling gets. I'm guess you haven't yet activated the blood moon? It only gets better from here.

One of my favorite things about Bloodborne was the Threaded Cane. A cane that can transform into a bladed whip that you can start with as your first weapon and it's totally viable to play through the whole game with it, which is what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Samovar posted:

See also Asura's Wrath.

Asura's Wrath also had the best loving 'QTE' ever, near the end.

Extend Arm