Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
With this show soon ending, were there any hints that they are creating a new series either live-action or animated at least?

I'm still holding out for that "Sopranos-meets-Star-Wars" live-action show they've been talking about for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Woke up this morning
You got a forest moon in your eyes

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SyRauk posted:

With this show soon ending, were there any hints that they are creating a new series either live-action or animated at least?

I'm still holding out for that "Sopranos-meets-Star-Wars" live-action show they've been talking about for years.

The one they ruled out because it would be stupidly expensive and no network wanted anything to do with it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Filoni said at the same presentation that announced that Season 4 of Rebels would be the final one that "this is not the end of animation at LucasFilm".

So there's something else in the works...but no details yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Personally I'd love to see Lucasfilm animation go back a few hundred years before the prequels and do their own take on the Old Republic style stuff, with not just Sith/Jedi conflict, but using new villains and new factions to expand the new canon any way they wish. The Old Republic was cool, but it's basically gone now, and to be honest, I always disliked that it was like 4, 000 years ago, since it takes it beyond the realm of "unrelated" and in to "stupidly long ago". 400 years or something, where you can have all new characters would be cool. You could even have a young Yoda at that point if you need to push in some cameos.

It'll probably be about the intervening years between the original and new trilogies though, and involve Luke, Han, Leia & Chewie at least in the periphery.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The world is ready for another Ewoks cartoon.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The world is ready for another Ewoks cartoon.

Honestly, that wouldn't be out of place in today's market. You could just the copy the Teen Titans Go formula (cheap-rear end animation,lowest common denominator humor) and BANG, it's a moneymaker.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SyRauk posted:

I would love a live action Star Wars show, but it would either be more expensive than Farscape and Game of Thrones combined (so we'd get maybe 6 episodes a season) or it'd be Agents of Shield/Daredevil budgeted so it would look like Dark Matter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A live action Star Wars show could be done IF they kept it to like stayed mostly in the ship, only rarely went planet side, and everyone was okay with every Twi'lek, Ithorian, etc. using the same or cheap costumers. You know, how Star Trek did it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given we're getting side-movies like Rogue One and the Han Solo movie, I actually think a big-budget Game of Thrones-esque Star Wars series is perfectly possible now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

tsob posted:

Personally I'm still a fan of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5G9RIFsCIc

Even as an animatic with minimal motion I still find it really cool. I only wish those episodes had gotten the full animation treatment, because season 6 was really set to be a strong one going by the partially done episodes they did release. Between that scene, and this one

Yeah, that would have been really cool to see fully animated. I hope there's someone with super fancy blaster shooting skills in Episode 8 or 9, we haven't really seen that in a Star Wars film. A force sensitive person using blasters instead of lightsabers also sounds real cool. Doesn't have to be full gun kata, though I never say no to gun kata, but I think that'd be proper fun. A character like that seems like they'd fit right in to the Han Solo movie too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given we're getting side-movies like Rogue One and the Han Solo movie, I actually think a big-budget Game of Thrones-esque Star Wars series is perfectly possible now.

I think if a show like that doesn't get announced within the next 3 years it'll never happen. It's proven that anything Star Wars is a license (pun intended) to print money, and Game of Thrones has become a cultural touchstone and super big deal while proving that you can do that type of show as a series.

I feel like if they are going to do it though they should free it from even having to worry much at all about tying in to the proper canon and go way into the past, but make the focus on how the Republic was originally formed, or just after its formation. You have the various planets standing in for the Game of Thrones houses, Jedi and Sith here and there as the big-deal fighters like The Mountain or the Hound are on GoT, etc. You could build to the foundation of the Jedi Council and Jedi Temple on Coruscant, alongside the Republic's formation, as the tie-ins to Star Wars proper, and you're free to create and kill characters willy-nilly. Also by going super early Republic you can get by with like, 10 or so major planets or systems and around 100 systems total in the Republic, and not the like 1,000 or however many you have by the time of the prequels. Gives you plenty of justification to want to visit any type of planet or society you want, but prevents there from being a completely overwhelming political situation.

Ultimately it's only going to take one successful live-action show to make them want to have two or three running at a time, in my view, but if the first one goes poorly it's probably going to poison the well on that forever so I can see why they're being cautious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

VolticSurge posted:

Honestly, that wouldn't be out of place in today's market. You could just the copy the Teen Titans Go formula (cheap-rear end animation,lowest common denominator humor) and BANG, it's a moneymaker.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Lego Star Wars has that niche filled.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SyRauk posted:

Would that be a mafia story using Dark Sun or something then or only stylistically similar to Sorpanos and not narratively so?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait until after the Kenobi standalone movie and Episode 9 are finished. By then they should have amassed enough props, set pieces, costumes and ships from six movies that they can recycle to make the show look reasonably good without having to spend a metric fuckton on each episode.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

SyRauk posted:

To add to what others have said, prior to this season, Filoni was moved to a role overseeing all animation at Lucasfilm, which in and of itself implies that there'll be another show after Rebels. Honestly, I'd be surprised if a new show didn't debut in Fall 2018.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
If we're doing a big budget, live-action TV series, I think a series about the Jedi-Sith schism would be neat and something you could sell as Star Wars meets Game of Thrones. Or as a lower budget option you could do a series on the origin of Palpatine and his rise to power/becoming a Sith (and obviously market/sell it as House of Cards meets Star Wars).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ideal Star Wars live-action show is Revan's Excellent Adventure.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Funky Valentine posted:

The ideal Star Wars live-action show is Revan's Excellent Adventure.
I'd kill for a show where every episode ends with Revan becoming Stupid Evil for no reason. Basically like Sealab 2021 but replace the base exploding with Revan making Heel Turns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My favorite Star Wars show would probably be all about​ jedi and sith exploring their philosophies and emotional or familiar bonds, with the Force as this mystical plot resolver rather than just something you use to make fighting stormtroopers fun. And I would probably excise all the space battles and most of the fights with regular blasters or walkers or whatever in them. And every instance of droids speaking unless they are ig88 or whatever his name was. And focus waaaaaaaaaay less on humans or mandalorians or twileks since we already know all about them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

evilmiera posted:

My favorite Star Wars show would probably be all about​ jedi and sith exploring their philosophies and emotional or familiar bonds, with the Force as this mystical plot resolver rather than just something you use to make fighting stormtroopers fun. And I would probably excise all the space battles and most of the fights with regular blasters or walkers or whatever in them. And every instance of droids speaking unless they are ig88 or whatever his name was. And focus waaaaaaaaaay less on humans or mandalorians or twileks since we already know all about them.

I actually like this idea, but the main problem I see is most non-human/mando/twileks tend to be the aliens that talk like a trashcompactor loving a dying cat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Personally I'd love to see more Force groups besides Jedi/Sith, like the Nightsisters. It's one of the reasons I liked the aforementioned Jar-Jar/Mace episodes, because there was a society of Force users who barely used it in an active manner and really were more the ascetic monks Jedi purport to be.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Wait until after the Kenobi standalone movie

This keeps getting bandied about but I have yet to see anything official. It certainly seems like a no-brainer to me, but if they didn't announce it at Celebration, I'm starting to think it's unlikely.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I don't think it's and less or more likely than it was before Celebration. They didn't announce any news at all about post-Episode 8 movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kennedy said they'd be announcing something late this summer. That lines up with the D23 expo in mid-July, so expect an announcement around then.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
What would be in a Kenobi movie that we haven't already seen in the existing movies?

Covok
May 27, 2013

IronSaber posted:

What would be in a Kenobi movie that we haven't already seen in the existing movies?

Ewen McGregor hanging wang.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

IronSaber posted:

Obi-Wan's misadventures in the 19 years between III and IV.

It's exactly as necessary as a Han film. i.e. Not very, but hopefully it'll be fun.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It would probably be limited to Tatooine, in so far as Obi-Wan will always be there. But you could have other characters coming into the story that start out at other locales.

Could involve the Hutts in some way, or some local heavy making trouble for Anchorhead, Mos Eisley and the farmers in the region. This would possibly force Obi-Wan to step in and help out. Something akin to Yojimbo/A Fistfull of Dollars would be awesome.

Could also use it to wrap up some other dangling Tatooine threads from ANH and the Prequels, not that anyone is demanding answers to these: What happened with Watto and Gardulla the Hutt? How would Kitster react to learning about Anakin? What about finally seeing Obi-Wan trying to get Owen to accept Anakin's saber and that argument.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 5, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, sorry to barge in, but I just finished (the highlights of) the Clone Wars, and I was wondering if this show is a good follow up to it?

I was pretty impressed by the back half of the show, and I was really hoping Rebels could keep up that level of quality. I need my Star Wars fix

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

IronSaber posted:

It'd actually be a horror comedy about his misadventures as a force ghost.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

if this show is a good follow up ... level of quality.

It's worse imo. Both effects and story.
But if you really need a star wars fix, it's good enough.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, sorry to barge in, but I just finished (the highlights of) the Clone Wars, and I was wondering if this show is a good follow up to it?

I was pretty impressed by the back half of the show, and I was really hoping Rebels could keep up that level of quality. I need my Star Wars fix

IMO the scope is much MUCH smaller, but the characters are pretty endearing and ultimately that's what I come to Star Wars for, entertaining characters being idiots in space.

EDIT:

Teek posted:

What about finally seeing Obi-Wan trying to get Owen to accept Anakin's saber and that argument.

We've had stuff pretty close to that in the Marvel run, namely Owen screaming at Obi-Wan that he's "killed enough Skywalkers, leave us alone."

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 5, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Mother is still out there somewhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

The Mother is still out there somewhere.

Mother Talzin? She dead.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mother Talzin? She dead.

Not Talzin, The Mother of the family from the Mortis arc, in Legends she was essentially was a Dark Side Lovecraft monster except not that great. Hopefully she's different this time.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Il Federale posted:

It's worse imo. Both effects and story.
But if you really need a star wars fix, it's good enough.

Yep. I miss the anthology format. I think that went a long way to covering some funky writing. They could write in broad strokes and any writing weakness was made up for by the huge variety and creativity in each arcs premise. I can't think of another show that mixed things up like clone wars did, kids horror bits, kaiju bits, cop show parody.

Rebels is about a small team and how they grow together and I personally think the writing is too clunky to really sell it. It's operating on a fraction of the CW budget too. You just don't get the huge scale scenery and events CW had.

Season 1 is kinda awful until the back quarter where it remembers to tell it's plot. It's also super cheap with half the episodes revolving around driving down a planets single copy pasted highway. I can barely remember any interesting situations here, it's normally 'our boys steal a crate of imperial biscuits and the agent chasing them gets angry'

Season 2 is much improved, has some real real cool set pieces, moves at a cracking pace, and spends a lot of time with people from clone wars. Again not brilliant writing but there's plenty of memorable scenes to keep your attention.

Season 3 really frustrated me. It started strong and then apparently forgot what it was doing, dropping interesting threads, bouncing between plots to the point that they all sapped each other's momentum, and then throwing in horrible filler episodes too. Some good bits here and there though.

Show is generally worth it for chopper, your top 3 droid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure Lego Star Wars has that niche filled.

Hell, isn't there that Lego Star Wars cartoon that basically fills the comedy niche while Rebels does the action-adventure beat? The Freemaker or Freebuilder whatever?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, isn't there that Lego Star Wars cartoon that basically fills the comedy niche while Rebels does the action-adventure beat? The Freemaker or Freebuilder whatever?

The Freemaker Adventures.

They almost literally have Robot Chicken Emperor as the main villain, except not voiced by Seth McNotFunny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TARDISman posted:

Not Talzin, The Mother of the family from the Mortis arc, in Legends she was essentially was a Dark Side Lovecraft monster except not that great. Hopefully she's different this time.

She made all the Jedi kids think everyone around them was imposters in some of the most annoying plot threads I've read in Star Wars novels, and I read A LOT of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Ian McDiarmid returns to voice Palpatine.

• Locked thread