Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Actually since sonya-smart people are posting right now what's the best use of her fury? I assume in a gob of heroes during a team fight its best to just use whirlwind. But when is it better to use slam vs whirlwind?

It is always better to slam. Even if you could hit 3 heroes with your whirlwind, taking 1 target down faster is better than taking 3 down slower. Whirlwind is for chasing, disengaging, and healing.

e: I worded that weird, only whirlwind if you need to to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was surprised to see the Icy Veins guide to building Gazlowe differed so much from my own. I need to test out the lazor build and the one IV recommends, but this is my general thought-process.

Pre-match: select a tiny Wonder Billie mount and make Gazlowe your announcer so he's talking to himself.

L1: Extra TNT for some of the best no-sweat wave clear in the game. Break It Down is good if you find yourself on CDs, constantly, and can help down the line with Grav-O-Bomb.

L4: I like Clockwerk a lot -- careful continued uptime of Turrets gives Gaz some of the best zone control and vision in the game, and making numbers go up feels good. Otherwise, ARK Reaktor (but if you're doing that, you might want Scrap-o-Matic Smelter at L1 for mana woes).

L7: Engine Gunk. Since we have TNT to deal with multiple enemies, we can use the extra juice to ensure that once someone's trapped in the trap, the devil ain't forgettin'. I always see the lazor as an initiator, not something to do mid-fight, so I'm against Hyperfocus Cells.

Heroic: Robo-Gobbo is no longer a trap talent -- taking it and Goblin Repairs at Tier 1 makes him a scarily effective tank. If you're doing that, pick up Xtra-Large Bombs for stun security.

L13: Dimensional Ripper is okay, but Gazlowe is already so good at sieging that it feels a little win-more, and since we already have Engine Gunk slowing down enemies, we can take Xtra Large Bombs for even bigger booms, and, like I said, the stun security.

L16: More dakka, either of the turret or bomb variety. Gaz wants to move -- staying in one place to boost his turret range is no good.

Storm: If you went with Robo-Goblin, Mecha-Lord makes him loving scary. Otherwise, if you went all in with Grav-O, may as well take the boost. Again, I don't like lazor build, so I think that's a trap, and the 'produce some scrap at will' is silly.

again, I'm no expert. Thoughts?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loving love the talent that drops a bomb when you get stunned. I gets people every time. Also yeah the 20 talent that improves your 10 talent is a loving beast. Gazlowe can but out a loving shittone of damage if you build him right. Icey Veins doesn't really have a satisfying build though several of the suggestions are what I go with.

I always take the Turret Storage talent, three turrets is great especially when there's an objective cause you can make like a triangle around the perimeter in a second if you get there before the other team.

That build sounds like what I've started using isnce doing robo goblin more. A map like Infernal Shrines, that build will just dominate

Also I wish the Nightborne skin for Jaina gave her elf ears so it was like she was actually a Nightborne

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 4, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Never and there aren't any, is the point.

Now I'm right back where I started: wishing I could justify taking it. :(

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Actually since sonya-smart people are posting right now what's the best use of her fury? I assume in a gob of heroes during a team fight its best to just use whirlwind. But when is it better to use slam vs whirlwind?

Slam can proc follow through and will still do some aoe. Whirlwind is only a dps option when you're chasing, and can be good to bully the backline.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How do I get blizzard to stop spamming me with emails? I made three accounts to get the vulture bike a while ago.

edit: Apparently gmail was hiding the unsubscribe part. Problem solved.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 4, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Raynor is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwKYaXRm-o

:911:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Murky video on that channel is incredibly helpful and informative by the way.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Macaluso posted:

I looked that skin up, it's a halloween skin isn't it? It doesn't look like it shows you any holiday skins unless the holiday is happening. Unless you're saying you had the skin and it's not showing up now in which case :shrug:

edit: Although the valentines skins and mounts are in the game so I have no idea

They retroactively made some of the spooky skins Halloween/made them a seasonal rotation. Most of the characters that lost their Halloween skins had them in their standard group because it was almost all they had, and then it got flagged as holiday when they got more. Like the vampire and vampire hunter skins. But now Valla, Arthas, and Kerrigan have enough other skins so they were okay making them rotating. Although it's weird that skelethor and the scarecrow went in that category, but I guess it's not like you see much of abathur anyway.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Khorne posted:

How do I get blizzard to stop spamming me with emails? I made three accounts to get the vulture bike a while ago.

edit: Apparently gmail was hiding the unsubscribe part. Problem solved.

It's your punishment for camping on the account name goku. :colbert:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bogart posted:

It's your punishment for camping on the account name goku. :colbert:
You can't camp on account names. There are 100s of gokus.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's why you have numbers after your Battlenet name, so that they're unique even if people have the same name.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Khorne posted:

You can't camp on account names. There are 100s of gokus.

I think you'll find there's only one Goku

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
goku #0001

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I know that Smoke Bomb is the default Valeera ult, and it certainly has a lot of uses. But against caster-heavy teams Cloak puts in a lot of work. Just had an enemy group that had Malf/Kael/Li-Ming and Cloak saved my rear end over and over.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

Any tips for efficiently microing the vikings? I just bought these fuckers and I love unorthodox heroes.

I get that I should use shift to give them a bunch of instructions. Is it okay to have some of them idle in a bush sometimes or what? Really keeping them all up all the time seems pretty hard. Which one is the most important?

Stayin in the brush is fine because you soak xp. Always keep an eye on your health bars at your bottom left and save your Z ability for when you need to run out. A lot of people never recall with Vikings which is silly. Getting your bribe stacks is super useful. You can take camps solo and if you ever have the Vikings in the same place they can quickly take camps. I tend to take the revive/summon ult and continue to split. If you take that ult, use it aggressively to bring your Vikings to the front as needed because they can bring a lot of damage and ruin things for your opponent with Jump!

Balor is probably the best of the three to keep alive if you can only keep 1 in early fights, but post 10 I find Erik very important because he can maneuver quickly and take camps/some objectives alone while simultaneously being able to reposition well for dropping the ult

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ciaphas posted:

Well now I'm just confused. When IS Rain of Destruction worth taking over Horrify? What are these edge cases?

are you on a pro team or queueing with 4 other grandmasters? horrify is a safe pick

else? rod.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bogart posted:

I was surprised to see the Icy Veins guide to building Gazlowe differed so much from my own. I need to test out the lazor build and the one IV recommends, but this is my general thought-process.

Pre-match: select a tiny Wonder Billie mount and make Gazlowe your announcer so he's talking to himself.

L1: Extra TNT for some of the best no-sweat wave clear in the game. Break It Down is good if you find yourself on CDs, constantly, and can help down the line with Grav-O-Bomb.

L4: I like Clockwerk a lot -- careful continued uptime of Turrets gives Gaz some of the best zone control and vision in the game, and making numbers go up feels good. Otherwise, ARK Reaktor (but if you're doing that, you might want Scrap-o-Matic Smelter at L1 for mana woes).

L7: Engine Gunk. Since we have TNT to deal with multiple enemies, we can use the extra juice to ensure that once someone's trapped in the trap, the devil ain't forgettin'. I always see the lazor as an initiator, not something to do mid-fight, so I'm against Hyperfocus Cells.

Heroic: Robo-Gobbo is no longer a trap talent -- taking it and Goblin Repairs at Tier 1 makes him a scarily effective tank. If you're doing that, pick up Xtra-Large Bombs for stun security.

L13: Dimensional Ripper is okay, but Gazlowe is already so good at sieging that it feels a little win-more, and since we already have Engine Gunk slowing down enemies, we can take Xtra Large Bombs for even bigger booms, and, like I said, the stun security.

L16: More dakka, either of the turret or bomb variety. Gaz wants to move -- staying in one place to boost his turret range is no good.

Storm: If you went with Robo-Goblin, Mecha-Lord makes him loving scary. Otherwise, if you went all in with Grav-O, may as well take the boost. Again, I don't like lazor build, so I think that's a trap, and the 'produce some scrap at will' is silly.

again, I'm no expert. Thoughts?

I usually take Break it Down > Ark Reaktor > Engine Gunk > RoboGoblin > Xtra Large Bombs > Kwik Release > MechaLord

I've had some success with lazer build when they have a lot of really squishy people that you can punish easily with the long lazer range (usually only in QM). The Dimensional ripper at 13 is decent because it turns you into a mini sylvanas and you can shut down forts/keeps for your team to push with. You also dont have to charge it at all to get the slow effect so you can just quickly blast people to slow them a bunch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Minrad posted:

are you on a pro team or queueing with 4 other grandmasters? horrify is a safe pick

else? rod.

This is still hilariously wrong.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'm just here to inform, not to educate.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Self rooting and lowering your DPS to do okay AOE damage is a very bad idea.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

guldan's normal spells do enough dps and even add sustain, why would you ever stop to channel rain of destruction when you can stun and silence someone lol

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
RoD is really good if you find pressing W and Q too hard and your opponents do not know how to attack you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Don't use RoD if the fight is on top of you, dinguses. It has a gigantic range for a reason, and then you can step in afterwards and clean up once all the huge poo poo is on cooldown and Gul'dan has much much less to fear. Softening up the entire enemy team at an incredibly safe distance is actually extremely good.

Horrify is a very good ult but the fear can be unpredictable and lead to whiffs and if you're relying on Gul'dan for your team's CC you've hosed up somewhere much earlier. A five-man Horrify is a vanishingly rare event. Most Gul'dans I've seen with Horrify tend to use it in self-defense, not proactively.

I don't play Gul'dan as much as Minrad does, nor am I as good at Gul'dan as he is, but personally I'd go RoD over Horrify most of the time. I'd take Horrify if the enemy team has an ambusher that's riding my cock all game long and I know I won't be able to get a quality RoD off, or if the enemy team has a high-sustain healer like Lúcio or Auriel and can just tank through the rain.

At Master the two ultimates have nearly the same winrate even despite Horrify being the pick the vast majority of the time. This suggests that there's a lot of room for people to learn how/when to use Rain of Destruction. At Platinum and lower RoD's winrate drops off bigly compared to Horrify, and I really suspect that this is because very dumb players keep on using it when they're already in the middle of a fight where, yes, it's lower damage than his abilities and self-roots him.

Pro teams take Horrify every single time because they're good enough to know how to anticipate and play around Rain of Destruction and focused enough to instantly pick priority targets when given the opportunity. You will never, ever experience coordination of that level in quick match or draft.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Horrify's fear isn't unpredictable, though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

In pub games, RoD is a siege ultimate that wins objectives (forts, map bonuses, siege camps, bosses) and thus the game, Horrify is a tool that 9 times out of 10 just takes advantage of sloppy positioning (your own or the enemy's)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That might be true in silver or something. But usually people learn to attack the squishy mage that just stunned himself for 7 seconds pretty quickly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bamhand posted:

That might be true in silver or something. But usually people learn to attack the squishy mage that just stunned himself for 7 seconds pretty quickly.

Correct, so you put yourself in a position where they either don't know where you're channeling from, or can't easily cover distance to pop the Gul'dan. Further, you should be taking active advantage of your team running interference for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The times I used it in QM and unranked while learning Gul'dan, I was always able to find somewhere far from the line or around a corner to use it effectively from. And it always seemed effective, for all the randomness of it!

My biggest problem is I know that if I pick it in a ranked game I'll immediately toxify at least one teammate into an assisted throw :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Horrify is an AoE CC that comes out almost instantly. Even if it didn't do damage it would be a monstrously good ult, I don't know how "you stop playing for 7 seconds for some damage" is going to compare.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kazinsal posted:

That reminds me, last night my hots group had a new wombo combo for pissing people off.

Wall someone in with Sonya using Nazeebo, stun from the outside and whirlwind to a fine consistency.

Sit back, pour yourself a drink, and watch the beyblade cage match.

I don't know if it's still doable or not, but there used to be a similar combo with Sonya and Chen called "the Washing Machine." Have Sonya Leap on to the enemy team while they're clumped up and trap them in the crater. Then have Chen use his Q to hop into the crater and use his barrel roll heroic to knock the enemy team around in the crater until they die. Combo with any other AoE damage on your team to taste. :discourse:

Coolness Averted posted:

Although it's weird that skelethor and the scarecrow went in that category

Scarecrow Xul was a Halloween skin to begin with.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Horrify is a very good ult but the fear can be unpredictable and lead to whiffs

The targets will always run in a straight line away from the center of the effect. It's only unpredictable if you're bad at targeting it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Minrad posted:

In pub games, RoD is a siege ultimate that wins objectives (forts, map bonuses, siege camps, bosses) and thus the game, Horrify is a tool that 9 times out of 10 just takes advantage of sloppy positioning (your own or the enemy's)

Dig up, stupid.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Correct, so you put yourself in a position where they either don't know where you're channeling from, or can't easily cover distance to pop the Gul'dan. Further, you should be taking active advantage of your team running interference for you.

Seems like an awful lot of work for a DPS loss. I can't believe you guys are actually arguing that Rain is better because Horrify is too random. This must be some kind of elaborate troll.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

No but seriously though, to all the Gul'dans out there: Please take the 7 second self CC ult. I really appreciate you not blasting me with dots and fire and poo poo and just standing out of the fight and maybe hitting me with the equivalent of 2-3 autoattacks. Everyone listen to Minrad and take RoD, doubly so if you're playing against me. Horrify is bad. Don't take it!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

The targets will always run in a straight line away from the center of the effect. It's only unpredictable if you're bad at targeting it.

Not what I meant. As someone who plays with the Gul'dan, I don't always know when it's going to come out, and my targets suddenly switching trajectories have thrown me off before.

bamhand posted:

Seems like an awful lot of work for a DPS loss. I can't believe you guys are actually arguing that Rain is better because Horrify is too random. This must be some kind of elaborate troll.

It's only an elaborate troll because you refuse to actually read what's being written and refuse to think of situations where it would actually be useful. You keep on conceiving the situation as "Instead of using Fel Flame, I use Rain of Destruction while standing in the middle of this teamfight, where I am in range of five different heroes."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This thread is truly as toxic and cringeworthy as any moba discussion anywhere on the internet, paywall be damned

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Uh if you cast RoF from max range it's still a DPS loss compared to using your other abilities.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

This thread is truly as toxic and cringeworthy as any moba discussion anywhere on the internet, paywall be damned

shut up bronzie go back to vs ai if you want to pick bad ults

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Not what I meant. As someone who plays with the Gul'dan, I don't always know when it's going to come out, and my targets suddenly switching trajectories have thrown me off before.

That doesn't mean the heroic is unpredictable, it means you're bad at anticipating what your teammate is planning on doing when you engage the enemy. In which case, you can either ask for your teammate to give you some kind of heads up about who they're going to target before they cast it, or just wait and see what they do before you commit to your own course of action.

Believe me, I understand the frustration. I can't remember all the times I've missed landing something like Tyrande's stun because a Diablo on my team decided they had to Shadow Charge my target right at that exact moment. But that doesn't mean that Shadow Charge is unpredictable, it means I need to adjust to how the rest of my team is playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I like that Uther guy haha I hit with a hammer