Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

super fart shooter posted:

They still haven't fixed the thing where biters randomly aggro on power pylons out in the wilderness, and it's still driving me crazy

Why you leaving your infrastructure open to biter attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I run power lines to my distant resource expansions. The biters usually ignore them like they do with rails, but sometimes they just attack like a single pole for no reason. I've always suspected it was cause it just happened to be in the way of their pathfidning, or because they got aggro'd by a passing train and took it out on the pole, but either way it shouldn't happen and there's no really good way to design around it, so I just have to go out there and fix it myself

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

They still haven't fixed the thing where biters randomly aggro on power pylons out in the wilderness, and it's still driving me crazy
I think that only happens when they plan to build one of their houses on top of your power pole.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol if you don't have redundant resilient power grid

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FISHMANPET posted:

Here I was hoping that nuclear power would turn off coal power the way solar does, but it just runs at 50% capacity (while still using 100% of the nuclear fuel) and half my coal plant is still running. Do I need to design some fancy switch to turn the regular boilers on and off or is something broken?

Here is the design I use:

e;

code:
0eNqdmduO2jAQht/F10nlsx1epVpVASw2ak4KoVqEePeG0u0u3cl4hqsVC/Mx/vN7PB4uYtue0jg1
/Sw2F9Hshv4oNt8v4tgc+rq9/W8+j0lsRDOnThSir7vbq+Oc6q6cT9O26ZO4FqLp9+lNbNT1pRCpn
5u5SXfQnxfnH/2p26Zp+cAKohDjcFyihv72nQuprApxXv4odb0WXzCajPEYxpAxGsNYKkZhFEelOI
ziP1GGqT6kcq77n18h7/LK5eHtmynt7u9pABk+kF3dtmVbdyMgkfq7ugClFf8xurRvTl2Z2uUrp2Z
XjkObEFqEaBXXRR6iKMl1EYxRNH0sIo/SXH0sIo9i+xpeGNfXMMWR5DGYOp6pjsHECcx9Bq8qUikR
o1QkbW5GXRVHS6Y47zRQHf1h5tdUz2V6273W/WF5a3Vv6W8OJGk6yeMkQydpnGTJJIWDHBnkcJAng
yIO+rD12IxYRdVgeKSGw+dx9biMFUZEEEaSEBWGUCSExxCahAgYwpAQFkNYEsJhCEdCaAzhSQiDIQ
IFITFCJCWBmdOQzIkpYUnexHKwJGtinrAkZ2IPw5KMie0OS/IlZktLsiVWJyzJldgGtSRTKsyVluR
KrFbZilhwJXhXkNxjWi7HxkOnbyGs4p7ZNKzOrdUiS2Wf/rScuK0AjeoyKzXIQj2zp6BlFJgNBo0a
mTcwsGdx2T1wTwnsWLzMBVdIsMoFByQ4a2ePBBvmpRNUztuHFMp5KA/TcOr3q12CfnyoHoI6OtRAU
Gh44H1OLI2IFZgXWVisXG8rkQzyZXo9OEjeBRrMPijyU9HUJx1yDsYWZcj5WKpJguXdyWGhcrUX2Z
Uh51KHxOZuXkgRCzlrImUoVLwRBChalKzhHjjFiOrJ4R48KdSccRqckHlumgbnYxnzKzgd99T4Cs7
GcyZGcDrhuYERnA+3EVBg7xMr5qkIYyrJPC9WMIpXt1comlfUViiGNdCv/u/dXor7TzebT7/0FOJX
mo7308Fa7aQxQcfr9TcUV4Mk
I thought the blueprint string remembered power pole nets, but that may have only been the previous mod implimentation. To set it up into standby mode you just have to separate out the medium power poles. Big pole -> Switch - > Medium poles. Big pole -> Small pole to feed up through the inserters.

Loopoo posted:

I love that player names are now hidden if they're out of radar / player range. Will make PvP servers way more enjoyable.

It's a catch 22 situation. Early game starting with a 4mil deposit is a bit too forgiving. Lategame however, I prefer having large deposits that don't require constant maintenance / relocation. It becomes very tedious in the lategame where 80% of your time is spent making new outposts.

Dunno what options to tweak to ensure it becomes more fun and less of a repetitive chore.

Tiny size, very rich, very far apart. Your outposts will last a long time each but you'll need to run trains to get enough outposts to feed your factory.

I run power lines to my distant resource expansions. The biters usually ignore them like they do with rails, but sometimes they just attack like a single pole for no reason. I've always suspected it was cause it just happened to be in the way of their pathfidning, or because they got aggro'd by a passing train and took it out on the pole, but either way it shouldn't happen and there's no really good way to design around it, so I just have to go out there and fix it myself

I too run powerlines, and it is indeed because of their pathfinding running into them.

I know its a personal preference thing but I consider that a feature and not a bug. Too me biters are already no challange so your rail and power infrastructure getting wholy ignored would just be doubly easy mode.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 5, 2017

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Do turrets attract attention in themselves? I'd be tempted to shield those really out there high-tension power lines with a little two-turret laser fort on the foot of each one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

scamtank posted:

Do turrets attract attention in themselves? I'd be tempted to shield those really out there high-tension power lines with a little two-turret laser fort on the foot of each one.

IIRC Biters straight up aggro turrets over anything else, they'll prioritize them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And I guess while we're on the topic of blueprint strings (which I hope the next stable op for .15.x non-experimental) includes a link for more permanent blueprint sharing:

The plastic cracker I designed for the MP server:

code:
0eNrNXe1yG7cOfRf9tjr8/sirdDp3ZHmbaCLLGknONJPJu99VLNnbhATPYZVNfjVpDBgAARAED7FfFvfb52F/2OxOi3dfFpv
10+64ePfnl8Vx83632p7/3+nzfli8W2xOw+PibrFbPZ7/tv4wPG7Wq+1yv12NpF/vFpvdw/DP4p3+etckftpsl4fh781uOHy
ekJqvf90tht1pc9oML0J8+8vn/+2eH++Hw8j7lcN+M7K9W+yfjuMPP+3Ov2lksNT+bvF5/K9RX89ifEdumuROIrf/Il+enpb
vD0/Pu4cSI/vK6G7xsDkM65d/DQW2jmCrymxNga1vKZslXUOLOknUEVcp4oZKOFeH2ym3NDWSpucVkcmtSK6JxcctpQ3M1uC
W0rahq6yqa1CLsac9rJEn7BRgromwU2xoOgnjEnlqkIuBqzOskiY8yijCUS+20qltK9NO6fGVW4neEHKFslxFfS261VTkYrL
6lVMucvLorlWRJMD05d9PJHNtiJVP/L4HrVwzoV/9vmwvS3h6lgxnNbgDV+Qw4BZcIbcoeVl4wn8DvujW03s4sua26eNisNo
I1gAV8gTWABVytAIpr5Qj/NWKjPBaROEr7uhSBFlw1/JuMcSdwwqZCrXHCpmKlfGSQ16tCEpR1gFPvkR0u8yWU8ha+1aJLRY
IXmPVVIXagKVchRw/MopbiXeoGGXylsfKO6JvZVctpkePFxDa4c7mW1lXi1HsiTrZ484aVLnJIVSj/t9cRxOMf95865qsHj6
tduvhYXnmtT88rYfjcbN7P3I791NeWiTfOiujEoenh+eRxadRmuXj+OftsLTjD65HnU5jLvn6V0laDUurfgNpDSqt+w2EtaC
w5jeQ1YGypt9AVryCfE0Asdjhestqx8fVdrvcrh73Jc+/ZmZX5PKW3B6Hh83z43LYjmY5bNbL/dN2kPj5Ir8ESmVFqTItlZW
kigqTKkpCRc0KFUWZDGgpUSZLG0qUyUEyeVEkT4rkRYkwL9eylVgn17KVUkcvyRQ55Y7uT5FTUh39GvNdGizx1XD3pSxX+87
CivS2o3tT5tRxT1Hh5PkOC2Jq9M6iIlWzCRBF8sQ3TMqMMt8iKTLKHY0BwMxZo+2KslRthxbJLd2kKPNxdFuizMfTx3nExgE
83JdlivThvsyndcLyIjXfDDDlGzZFH6IBE2ul0TN1RSyDHqor9G+efDw9HVbvR81Wu4+leLoIkoGrJ/Xm1/fDaj3+nHCjcr7
3+aEqP+6HsXr/sRw3xXJcK1+DBAhb3fkXv54YPgyrT5+/HRfWh9X64y0PC1oFwBz6luaIuDnS7NZIbWv4Wxoj48YwcxtjcnN
fM8YtHWNy09+yxexRMoEL1Exxy5QxwRG0TPGag+ezRTuBvlbcNzGG548wCdjeNNrecFeeRS4RvQav0E/aGc/3x9PqG2np6PH
HhU/8w5c5Zf74gdjJgK2NJKlp0KveCrmhS35INYupZkTZHHi5WSH3bJ0NaYY5t+jaJmKXgBVqzLF9y60NXSUj9rGYU7/FSZE
JeHNWoZ749HPxl6c/fFGjIlCrCWe4FrUVaYjmxbXcjohYbXDOZdlCWa42OCeI9Aw4Jxb1KiP9EipXLMuVebkCYG8G7HDd2ZB
1dDCyuKyvM3z7sLyirg08MyK941HKAfAI1/Z0JcoVUPqKhRlP17inu8TzhTw1gyVBWV1POHrC/dxruvVaXs4mMGIp5i0CGLG
MuJM2cRJLJxrdg+QVpXBoz9LjnkTgJ5Yed3yPotYqtiIyvMEdNPBN6/JihFZGF7NVMDQuH/HP0EruRjJ5cBh1RSXi4hx3zhB
YrohvBrA2r9gpsT35isVwFydKjdiCs4mJM2r2HQTilxF3d6KIjC1vT9IqRodRV+zkWY0Qb4+BvYqoSBexo1XFMrh/a+IsQ1y
mv5WgbS9ICsTplU2VNI33icAJOeEe/3bSAZRFj6nllZ3csd9v3jexKEZdj9Cu0l5IzO3MRTQ3bbVuN+8/nH5SqzUhlzOXzGp
v0GpNxN3MtdSfzxjA3Uy6oS2Iqxk/syly+2bmWlLewhQZv5mZ2yly+2LmhvGR8XuZuVNFBm5l1A0twYNMy/l3AuQAEno7n0+
gHSBoAIFC5A5AHsQ3g3dQ10fgxfeHSqG9yAq95iFwgHZGGbSjVZHL0ogxSCy0B1KRyrMAK0iogB1dKzLRgCZIpoQdMCoyZfh
+wwKPVptzBOQY0Rokt2VyQ1RGL2cTXX8C8BM3AqMteuGiy5o68EL6enOnypnYaI9mpYogAX74XqaPDf+70p8VaAeDTh34Z8S
viTrzspX+Is+iJhzYogWKz9yBCQdGWmiDvnN4ScflwTfAOAMtCuHQva5CT5xD4y/1gsBj04EwMPxEHMi3EngLU1mVjCVD28i
FVqHP78vkupXKPJHJ2nMTnCiM5VHzyDgRR+TBXxkAzIQGjXtqE+ggpo8JzEHKgUbIgE1Eg5j/mjMaxBROoBYIl3J438L/So9
yBrvwqNjOshceiDs6rAxMjcTXBEWIJVwTEiFWsq5VADLlnwNnTlVEyehTivKAI4U34H5pbiTQE1rjgez5uwjExwmMxfWoUF4
eB54tK6vrwfr1RbXy+ZaBVlzEqTCK9DkH6SX4xJaNEFewf+YEhRlAhZf4aLYuQjQkcBYEUwz3nCRtHXl9XGHjyftiSL3ANqc
hrpHNFhDX5gHl0qcu96UmCIzhn/1hOB6Xp8Nqd9w/HU7L+2F7qjN0QIacQDGu7EeFh8OL4rVfcGkwff8L7l5H3e72z+eBuIX
fx3Si88UugBoG7ImVjTyBacBGvkgHGdnRqRtpmE4AHszaBXntnp5P1cXjtyAHREhEX9hUFi91LJ7DF68jAC/yIuyTAqcjlJV
PaGutQm7ojh8SjqknngxuM9fB3uLsPY2HRsJ1gvXApda41LGDPb5RpI4owzNkAqHiZS/OCht7UaHWvGYJ1myCXyCSdOjdXzO
NKkfiOXcEXMRN5LEWbmX5aMg5sifl2LNsrntrZfAHHk45GZyrastTgBW/6nCWtaoj7AzO3WDQ/ormlu0AW0QmBzWAKyJ52lw
Kt1bP1oRzjyRAHnBtq/j9iJCYr/lw12ziHCTP1HzUOFwyQzPH470JW3CS2g5qoFeI+dDxuFqBbM4jmUL37D69NYMlgA/woc7
q3KFC6t0/LQFdgA/Y1mDPv8teZ/hgwstxa/gTVsaZg7OWK4p7bFZyhTqwFwxIQBn+cISfR63p2Ivwzaj5NQctbRiWL+Lw5oi
1/HaEH8St7QihgHPnQwjv61hi3MJry6/Ih9+8dMKl5As/HXHuHVGHZynLRx3eGLcTuMPfq+Npudkdh8Np/Kdqu92XPyKiaFx
pnD4pGH/2eNqsl/erw81ucS0w6yFJOvFfHPLAdgvMfYiSVAy+KMxlaQ+70SXtVpQLOB8v8Yk0GHUGIyW6C+2BEG7Pn7js8WV
TeQUCRivkmrC0msnSE5xFy42ypJuF2Uh5xDsWEjuDhcBmZEWjwI4xQxKjjxi4tCJTwq3s5rIysbsKqk2QHS02VmKjWWTqz7d
QMFCzsKIQ3b9E8mlz+IaUDgMOfzdzmRjeU0XniSgXaX8PiUSyzmCeDPXcyvpERQ71Q/Jg1BDWtCIR/sArzWThCG+j0mY8QZc
0uGgpZ0TPQlBnMBD42a2KRpFtJSFZMIIf3arIhD8G03NtxgneRcWjxQSKUp9Z8OKBtxgbbCfYleNptf4onoleQrr8nc8CWgX
HwOnvvxwMNNwn+JW25FGSvA8BFhuSC312YmDJbRY5EqYykqlSl6lM/yJnQnItSJ77IJq6f5GzRgex3GSNMxHIQTKU7Yfa9Kx
wJsLYS3J3RbH/D+sb0Okyt1lfPIaVZKaeCFb9q4vHrxC9TvVEb3/sOqXBeTm3WFqn8NANkpFs9313x9I6hQdulKTuidv4H5Y
2oBOAbrO2eNhKO69TPXHbv/G6DvDOdeyCAj67PYHvNM1iBbPodqDqcLvV7JlvYutvDH/GQcRpS1f0WrexKE7z9TbG19M3TvP
bNPDTR2aXkS/ysfVJ9BXM/LrzxwRId6PocSNzqz6BV4F1P6a5Ye875tfcsicHTHN+wsbsmnvyLIApHsjLhfn1juRpAtObvTW
YX+9MHhAgva0ie/mz6201ecTA9Db0mIjZFbfsqQHT3LFVN8bWs+34+Q0asNkT5e+WO0s/av9BwyLb1P0sXQMj0x0Pv9PAkBf
nVPdDb0hs1/Go6XqSgfij79zLn513rudhbiTk63mZGwj+HoQI1vQPNHJRAzfTzsXuR+KY3v1v3DH+mYUXQuHmFYt+xNjq7vf
fkDW86X6+jvG3NN5Re4SvAwGPlejwvvuFOqZ36H6ijvGPIGKzpn/3G3dMvNz70BxiT4DhMh5rE2wcBvXEuJreB+WYKTq2OWI
XagLhlkFys9ARZsReETqijNgqiClJS4fvoO0xSV60ae59qw4pHVXvY3WMvSbhsFCQRUOiYzGutvetOGYK1/nOHePuIVRtxcm
o+Uf4th1j51N2TOXU+ZYd454hTHDFoEl1PjiHZEu9b+Ux7obD/ULBlSwHScaYus7375gd+N2M2GpTgEDINf/iI4uoMjpGIhH
lXGI/iw5ts81RSeLxuWNUElEf5+4X8xh7S+KkoeDKjsNwY0x974NyzBKh9zU8xj5iqO2akyUWtg3tspn4tiNet/qOIUlEK8J
3TEki+j6+OSbprf1QJLe9D/Qx6Rw7FRrxBN8xSono1XkVSDg9khK86hkJU2vdtlFUvvlpKLHR6lXP+Jdapx0Ax3mteqcBQIs
6QWvJI7wv8ZKKVpmAsORPL+nL1P3zF7TKnCz1SZyaPA7i4kUeHtIpNDUKxMjqsyx/3V0v1u63z8P+sPl2a/dpOBxfsrVzZkx
QNprxZ/8PKU2mjQ==

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

M_Gargantua posted:

I too run powerlines, and it is indeed because of their pathfinding running into them.

I know its a personal preference thing but I consider that a feature and not a bug. Too me biters are already no challange so your rail and power infrastructure getting wholy ignored would just be doubly easy mode.

I wouldn't mind it if there was a way to set it up so they could be auto repaired... This is a game about automation after all, not running around the map doing routine tasks manually. Maybe if there were some kind of long range bot that only travels and works in proximity to your rails. Or maybe if they'd add vehicle module grids (they actually posted this in a weekly update once, I'm disappointed it didn't make it into this version) I could put a roboport on my resupply train and have it repair stuff as it cruised around.

scamtank posted:

That may sound like a good idea, except when a huge biter wave collides with it a few turrets won't be enough to fight them off. In order to make it truly self sufficient, you'd need to build a little base with a roboport for repairs, but that would also necessitate a train stop for resupplying, or just chaining them close enough so they're all part of your main logistics network, and at that point you're basically just expanding your base across the whole map anyway, may as well just make it one giant wall. Trust me, I've thought about this a lot....

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I consider any territory I build stuff in mine and build a grid of turret protected radars to detect any incursions and wipe them out regularly.

Because of the way pollution spreads more in some area than others I also usually have a tentacle looking web of turret protected radars reaching out just ahead of the pollution cloud marking the areas I've pushed aliens out of already.

Sometimes the radar stations get attacked (or bypassed by expanding aliens), but I haven't had any problems with aliens wiping out the power poles leading to them yet.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, adding 1-2 turrets like that will probably just increase the likelihood of your poles getting destroyed after the biters get too strong for 2 turrets to handle a swarm on their own.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

LLSix posted:

I consider any territory I build stuff in mine and build a grid of turret protected radars to detect any incursions and wipe them out regularly.

Because of the way pollution spreads more in some area than others I also usually have a tentacle looking web of turret protected radars reaching out just ahead of the pollution cloud marking the areas I've pushed aliens out of already.

Sometimes the radar stations get attacked (or bypassed by expanding aliens), but I haven't had any problems with aliens wiping out the power poles leading to them yet.

Yeah, there's one stretch of poles along a coast that keeps getting destroyed even after I've tried changing their location a few times, it's always by biters coming around the lake. I'm thinking I'll just have to build a little fort out there to cut them off. There aren't any worthwhile resources, but it's right in the middle of a big gap in my radar coverage, so I guess it's worth it anyway

On another topic, I just found this image while I was looking up something about science ratios... I had no idea labs could take packs from each other!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

On another topic, I just found this image while I was looking up something about science ratios... I had no idea labs could take packs from each other!

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Is it new?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Assemblers can't take raw materials from each other, can they? I'm not sure if I ever tried.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Antti posted:

Assemblers can't take raw materials from each other, can they? I'm not sure if I ever tried.

Would be a pretty inefficient thing to do imo, seeing as most assemblers require multiple items and craft relatively quickly. You'd end up with the first assembler in line never having enough to make something. With labs, it works so well cause the usage speed of the packs is relatively slow. Same with boilers.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can furnaces take coal from other furnaces? Because I just had an idea where you have two furnaces next to each other for doing iron ore -> steel so you don't have to worry about putting coal in the second one.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, there's one stretch of poles along a coast that keeps getting destroyed even after I've tried changing their location a few times, it's always by biters coming around the lake.

Make 2x2 landfill islands for your towers :eng101:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vOv posted:

Can furnaces take coal from other furnaces? Because I just had an idea where you have two furnaces next to each other for doing iron ore -> steel so you don't have to worry about putting coal in the second one.

I think so. Though it might grab the iron ore out of the furnace if it's getting rid of / using up the metal plates too quickly. I can see a situation occurring where your steel stack ends up making metal plates by mistake.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

vOv posted:

No, anything that produces a tangible good has whatever that item is in its 'output'. So the only thing an insurer will grab from assemblers or furnaces is whatever their assembling or smelting. Boilers and science packs are the odd ones out because in the boiler fuel is consumed (with no output slot) to covert water to steam, and science packs are consumed to produce science. So in both cases the inserters don't care since it's all one slot, kinda like a logical chest

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Loopoo posted:

I think so. Though it might grab the iron ore out of the furnace if it's getting rid of / using up the metal plates too quickly. I can see a situation occurring where your steel stack ends up making metal plates by mistake.

Filter inserters would fix that.

M_Gargantua posted:

No, anything that produces a tangible good has whatever that item is in its 'output'. So the only thing an insurer will grab from assemblers or furnaces is whatever their assembling or smelting. Boilers and science packs are the odd ones out because in the boiler fuel is consumed (with no output slot) to covert water to steam, and science packs are consumed to produce science. So in both cases the inserters don't care since it's all one slot, kinda like a logical chest

Aww, that's unfortunate, but I guess it makes sense.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

vOv posted:

no I tried it

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Arms can only seem to reach things inside the building's output hatch. That's why you can make burner drills "hold hands" like that and feed them in a chain without having to pass the fuel by them on belts.

e: man I wish I could hang on to my filthy non-electric equipment and upscale it into a proper diesel age

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 5, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Launched my first rocket :toot:

Restarted on goon island, just built my landbridge. I always played on peaceful mode before, so it's my first time building real defenses. I guess 40+ laser turrets and 20 flamethrowers is a little overkill for a beachhead when all the biters are still small.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
This patch seems to have introduced a frequent crash related to entering a vehicle, as in nearly every other time I get in a car or a tank. So much for tank funtimes. :(

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 5, 2017

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I think 0.15.9 is supposed to have fixed that, along with a train crash.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Real quick before I go ahead and build my big yellow science assembly, the perfect ratio for advanced circuits to processing units is 6:5 now, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Real quick before I go ahead and build my big yellow science assembly, the perfect ratio for advanced circuits to processing units is MORE now, right?

Edit with the real ratio for ya.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LLSix posted:

What do people do for military science? This is what I settled on for one military science a second.

Maybe I transcribed some recipes wrong but your ratios seem a little oversupplying compared to what I figured when I ran the numbers on grey science. It terms of assembler 2s, should be 7 making the science, which can be fed by 3 red bullets (fed by 1 yellow bullet), 6 grenades and 6 turrets. All the inputs will runneth over for consumption with the science assemblers being the rate limiting step.

The assembler per stated production time method which is also popular spits out 5 science, 2 red bullet (1 yellow bullet) 4 grenade 4 turret. You can stick that all in a pretty tidy couple of lines between belt and inserter tricks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pull the oversupply into the logistics network :colbert:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Wat

WHAT

They can do that? :psyboom:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Friday Facts #189 - Specifying the 1.0

:vince:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Wat

WHAT

They can do that? :psyboom:

That's new in 0.15, wasn't possible in 0.14 or previous.

Sigh - halfway through building a rocket factory and I have to go back and rebalance my purple science. Ugh.

edit: Just so I don't sound so negative - the release cadence that Wube sustain after a major release is nothing short of phenomenal. It's lightyears better than most indie devs and also puts professional game dev shops to shame too. It's just they're breaking my poo poo goddamnit :|

Thel fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 6, 2017

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

LLSix posted:

What do people do for military science? This is what I settled on for one military science a second.

The military science recipe produces 2 packs, you only need 5 factories to make 1/second.

Even for 2 packs/second I think you only need 4 steel ammo factories?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You can daisy chain boilers the same way.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone help me out with those map exchange strings, I scanned past the last couple of pages to get the goon island working, but none of my results look anything like the screenshots posted. Do you pop out in different locations every time, and I'm on the right map, but not realizing it, or am I loving something up?

I'm simply copy & pasting the entirety of the string from that pastebin into map exchange under "New Game" without touching any of the other options.

https://pastebin.com/7CHG3CfB

/edit:
And if I change richness of resources, does that affect the map generated? When I touch the modifiers, the string in the section for it disappears, hence my assumption

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just clicked new game, set it to rail world, pasted that string in and hit generate and got the goon island, so it should work fine...

edit: i'm getting weird hitching in the game, like the fps stays solid at 60 but every minute or so i get a little bit of choppiness. i have auto save pushed out to like 10 mins as well.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

queeb posted:

i just clicked new game, set it to rail world, pasted that string in and hit generate and got the goon island, so it should work fine...

edit: i'm getting weird hitching in the game, like the fps stays solid at 60 but every minute or so i get a little bit of choppiness. i have auto save pushed out to like 10 mins as well.

Change your v-sync settings in game. Some people get hitching with it on, others with it off. In 15.4 or 15.5 they changed the default to off, which gives me lots of choppiness, smooth as silk when it's on.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

As cool as this is... I can't bring myself to get rid of the Longer Underground Belt mod. Once you go so long, you can't go back!

The increased material cost from the update probably helps balance it out anyway.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Loopoo posted:

Gross, trains only accept a max of 30 rocket fuel? I wanna fill mine up entirely!
Rocket fuel is 9 times as energy dense as solid fuel so it's already more "full" even with 1/5 the items per slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Evilreaver posted:

"turn this inserter off until the downstream chest is >170 [so that 12 chests will fill to 2k evenly for quick loading]", etc
Try this:

Connect all chests with green wire, put that into an arithmetic combinator and divide by a number slightly lower than the number of chests, output to "A". Add a constant combinator of one to "A", then connect "A" to the inserters with green wire.

Then with red wire, connect each inserter to its matching chest and only operate if A > items in the chest. That way inserters will operate if their chest is slightly above average or worse (how big of a tolerance depends on how much more than # of chests you set the divisor).