Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The Canadian Association for Equality (CAFE), a Canadian men's rights group, has been critical of campaigns against manspreading by transit authorities. The CAFE has argued that it is "physically painful for men to close their legs" and that campaigns against manspreading is comparable to "[forcing] women to stop breast feeding on busses (sic) or trains...".[14] Commentators in media have made similar arguments regarding the need for men to spread their legs to properly accommodate their testicles.[15]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
don't mind me, just gotta air out my obscenely elongated testicles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently a very real problem for old men, i've heard

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

apparently a very real problem for old men, i've heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaY9ewvpzk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_color_code_mnemonics#Offensive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've heard one of these before ("black boys...violet gives willingly") from a creepy old grognard and wow weee i was literally speechless

joke's on any dumbass who needs to use a mnemonic though. it's just the fuckin rainbow in the center, with the outside four going from dark to light. any child can figure that out.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Vladimir Putin loves animals, and is actively engaged in the protection of rare species in the wild. Putin is the President of Russia (2000-2008 and 2012-present).

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

DStecks posted:

Vladimir Putin loves animals, and is actively engaged in the protection of rare species in the wild.

im sure the animal nesting on DJT's head is very grateful

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i've heard one of these before ("black boys...violet gives willingly") from a creepy old grognard and wow weee i was literally speechless

joke's on any dumbass who needs to use a mnemonic though. it's just the fuckin rainbow in the center, with the outside four going from dark to light. any child can figure that out.

yeah, everyone knows mnemonics only matter for osi layers

a pussy so tight no dick penetrates

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
My very eager mother just served us nine pickles, and the pickles is pluto

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Street sequence running east and west in downtown Seattle, running south to north: "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure" (Jefferson/James, Cherry/Columbia, Marion/Madison, Spring/Seneca, University/Union, Pike/Pine)
Compass directions, starting at the top and going clockwise (NESW, North, East, South, West): Never Eat Soggy Waffles (or Weetbix), Never Eat Shredded Wheat, Naughty Elephants Squirt Water, Never Eat Slimy Worms, Never Eat Soggy Wheat, Newt Eyes Swing Wobble, etc.

:wtc:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Street sequence running east and west in downtown Seattle, running south to north: "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure" (Jefferson/James, Cherry/Columbia, Marion/Madison, Spring/Seneca, University/Union, Pike/Pine)
Compass directions, starting at the top and going clockwise (NESW, North, East, South, West): Never Eat Soggy Waffles (or Weetbix), Never Eat Shredded Wheat, Naughty Elephants Squirt Water, Never Eat Slimy Worms, Never Eat Soggy Wheat, Newt Eyes Swing Wobble, etc.

:wtc:
No Spaniard Enjoys Washing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8d5tobSv5E

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

/mu/ is savage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why

why would you do this

humans can hear 52hz

i don't even

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

why

why would you do this

humans can hear 52hz

i don't even

I was going to say "because it's easier for Wikipedia users to hear a song in a 14 second clip than a 2 minute slow fluctuation", but apparently not.

quote:

The recorded signal has been sped up 10 times in order to move the sound into the audible range.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tubas can play notes down around 52 hz and humans can easily hear it. go ahead, try it out: http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

this is like having a recording of a tuba on the tuba page reading "this is the sound of a tuba. it has been pitch-shifted several octaves higher than the real instrument"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it's sped up 10 times because that's the only available recording

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

tubas can play notes down around 52 hz and humans can easily hear it. go ahead, try it out: http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

this is like having a recording of a tuba on the tuba page reading "this is the sound of a tuba. it has been pitch-shifted several octaves higher than the real instrument"

its "cool" to play subsonic notes where you can just watch the cone on your sub sowly move backwards and fowards. LOL

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently I'm deaf af cause I can't hear anything below like 76 hz

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

Apparently I'm deaf af cause I can't hear anything below like 76 hz

Or you just have crappy speakers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
yeah lots of speakers are trash at low frequency and when you facotr in people with hosed up hearing on top, easy to say 52 hz is "inaudible"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fishmech posted:

yeah lots of speakers are trash at low frequency and when you facotr in people with hosed up hearing on top, easy to say 52 hz is "inaudible"

once again fishmech and wikipedia are correct (although 10x seems excessive, 2-3x would probably be fine?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean I guess if you're going to frequency shift it at all, it's better to shift it to a totally unrealistic range than to a range that's only slightly above, where it could be confused with the real sound.

Same reason you don't make like three-quarter scale models of things when you're trying to build prototypes . People see it and go "why is it so small" and can't wrap their head around it being a scale model because it's close enough.

Anyway people should just buy better speakers. 52 Hz is loud and prominent , like a deep rumbling fart, on my 20 year old Yamaha bookshelf speakers

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 6, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

like a deep rumbling fart

but enough about my posting

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i want 9:10 GI Joe action figures

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i think probably the major reason it was sped up is because that's the only way you can tell there's actually something going on above all the background noise. easier to differentiate 300hz from 520hz vs 30hz from 52hz

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

actually i'm pretty sure jumping off a cliff redirects to the ground

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Meat Beat Agent posted:

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_state

?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

in a way, yes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

in iceland they actually call it a clit mouse

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they also call a computer a "number witch"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweevo posted:

they also call a computer a "number witch"

are they accepting immigrants?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

just checked and my favourite wikipedia redirect of all time, making GBS threads oneself -> fecal incontinence, was purged at some point :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/making GBS threads is still around tho, inexplicably

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

HAT FETISH posted:

just checked and my favourite wikipedia redirect of all time, making GBS threads oneself -> fecal incontinence, was purged at some point :(

02:30, 9 August 2008 Pascal.Tesson (talk | contribs | block) deleted page making GBS threads oneself (Speedy deleted per (CSD R3), was a redirect based on an implausible typo.

Everything is logged. Everything.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Parahexavoctal posted:

02:30, 9 August 2008 Pascal.Tesson (talk | contribs | block) deleted page making GBS threads oneself (Speedy deleted per (CSD R3), was a redirect based on an implausible typo.

Everything is logged. Everything.

what does this person think a typo is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingorc posted:

what does this person think a typo is

making GBS threads on self redirects to fetishes#internet