Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think the quote is about the denouement with Typhon-Morgan

Haha oh yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the voice acting was very good in general. Male-January has this great dispassionate affect going on that's very much robotic but still different than the usual "beep boop i'm a robot" thing in games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought the voice acting was very good in general. Male-January has this great dispassionate affect going on that's very much robotic but still different than the usual "beep boop i'm a robot" thing in games.

Yeah I felt the same way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So has the "It may take months before a player does this" thing happened yet if we already have a sub-20 speedrun

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Still thinking about thos prey: I was shocked that it ran so well on my 2600k\1060 on vhigh @ 1080p. The only issue I had with poo poo FPS was in the engine room where there was so much sun-ness(? whatever it's called) lagging the poo poo to death when the shutters opened and trying to ascend.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So has the "It may take months before a player does this" thing happened yet if we already have a sub-20 speedrun

Is it the Far Cry thing where Alex tells you to sit tight and you just stay in your office for however long it takes for him to show up

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think Alex would've been a better name for the protagonist because Alex looks more like a person named Morgan

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of people named Morgan, I found it pretty cute that one of the earliest books you find is an essay on robotics written by a lady named Antoinette Sokol.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Can anyone give me a hint or two on where to start using these treasure maps? Are they pointing to places anywhere on the station or just one area?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's also jellied eels everywhere like Dishonored

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crowetron posted:

Can anyone give me a hint or two on where to start using these treasure maps? Are they pointing to places anywhere on the station or just one area?

You'll eventually come across an email (found on several computers, one for each person involved in the treasure hunt) detailing where to use them. Then it starts a quest proper.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Lakbay posted:

There's also jellied eels everywhere like Dishonored

Later on when you go to life support you discover the eels are used for waste processing. They clean up the crap in the water before it's piped back up and the mature ones are harvested for food.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Kraftwerk posted:

Later on when you go to life support you discover the eels are used for waste processing. They clean up the crap in the water before it's piped back up and the mature ones are harvested for food.

I feel sorry for the poor alcoholic guy that ended up in the eel tank

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am in Life Support on the Pyschic water side mission.

I have the Particle injector and I'm standing in front of the Water quality control panel where it looks like there is definitely a injector sized hole in the panel but I cannot interact with it.

Any help?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Regarding the side quest to leave the station in Alex's private escape pod, I assume the only way to get up there is to get the neuromod that teleports you a short distance and leaves a copy where you were standing, maybe upgraded to the second level for greater teleport distance. I got up to Alex's office through some creative gloo climbing, but there's a big gap between the roof of his office and the platform above it where the escape pod is actually located. It seems far enough away that no amount of tricky jumping or gloo stairs will let me get over there and I don't see a switch to lower a ramp or anything like that. Not even sure if it will be an actual end to the game or if it will just have a cutscene where Alex tractor beams me back to the station or something like that, but I want to wrap up the sidequests I have right now before progressing in the story.

It seems like there's something really obvious I'm missing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Regarding the side quest to leave the station in Alex's private escape pod, I assume the only way to get up there is to get the neuromod that teleports you a short distance and leaves a copy where you were standing, maybe upgraded to the second level for greater teleport distance. I got up to Alex's office through some creative gloo climbing, but there's a big gap between the roof of his office and the platform above it where the escape pod is actually located. It seems far enough away that no amount of tricky jumping or gloo stairs will let me get over there and I don't see a switch to lower a ramp or anything like that. Not even sure if it will be an actual end to the game or if it will just have a cutscene where Alex tractor beams me back to the station or something like that, but I want to wrap up the sidequests I have right now before progressing in the story.

You can hop up on one of the wooden walls and then gloo yourself across the railing, that's what I did.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Regarding the side quest to leave the station in Alex's private escape pod, I assume the only way to get up there is to get the neuromod that teleports you a short distance and leaves a copy where you were standing, maybe upgraded to the second level for greater teleport distance.

Nah, there are many ways to reach the pod. I did with the gloo pistol.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Shouldn't they just rename System Shock 3 into 4?

But to be serious for a moment, the game sort of raises the bar for these kinds of games. Interactivity is part of the reason why exploring Talos 1 is so engaging - it's not just a collection of props to make things look pretty, but ultimately shallow. You explore because you know there may actually be something under the desk, behind this wall, etc.

We haven't had that many games doing something with it over the years, to be frank.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There is. Check his computer.

edit: If your hacking is too low to do so, however, Gloo Gun Shenanigans also work as they usually do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man some of the reviews coming out are shockingly bad, like 5 or 6s complaining "doesn't elevate the genre; does nothing new" you can turn into a loving cup. how does Bioshock Infinite get a pass and this doesn't

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Alright so... I want to make sure I understood this correctly.

From my understanding, getting Psionic abilities relies on Typhon. Unlocking any Psionic abilities (again, could be wrong) basically introduces Typon to yourself and makes the turrets question shooting you. Am I right and (I'm assuming it's an ending changer) to go no Psionics and only the first 3 trees? Or did I just lose a bunch of potentially helpful skills because I misinterpreted unlocking Psionics as allying with the Typhon?

DLC Inc posted:

man some of the reviews coming out are shockingly bad, like 5 or 6s complaining "doesn't elevate the genre; does nothing new" you can turn into a loving cup. how does Bioshock Infinite get a pass and this doesn't

Boobs.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes there's an achievement for doing a Human Skills Only run and some very mild ending changes

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Lakbay posted:

Yes there's an achievement for doing a Human Skills Only run and some very mild ending changes

Dang, I was hoping it would just corrupt me entirely or give me some angle on the Typhon consciousness if I went heavy psionic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

There is. Check his computer.

Can't, it's protected up to hacking level 4 and I don't have his password. Good to know the gloo still works though, guess I just wasn't jumping up the right part. Going to save before I do it though since I get the feeling that even if it actually is an ending to the game, it's probably one of the "bad" ones.

If it hasn't been said enough times, this game is amazing. There are a bunch of times like this where it's seemed to me like there's no way to approach a problem besides one obvious brute force manner, then there's some clever workaround that I hadn't considered. Managed to get into a major supply closet earlier by shooting a nerf dart through the small slot in a security booth at just the right angle that it arched over and hit the button to open the door, and I can't remember playing a game like this that actually allows crazy workarounds like that. Any other game I would have to give up and come back when my hacking skill was higher.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reflecting on the game, it's amazing how many "learn by doing" moments there are.

my favorite is the waterfall in the Arboretum. Up until then they didn't show you that there are actually looking glasses everywhere. But rather than going "go here and smash this" they put a couple mimics in the "pool" at the bottom. you see the mimics, you freak out and shoot wildly, and you break the glass that you didn't even know was there. It teaches you to watch out for Looking Glass in a totally organic way and it rocks.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Question regarding a locked room in Psychotronics: Can you enter that one locked room near the "sticky note bonanza" room using some other method than just turning into a cup?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blattdorf posted:

Question regarding a locked room in Psychotronics: Can you enter that one locked room near the "sticky note bonanza" room using some other method than just turning into a cup?

You can use the crossbow to shoot the screen, there is a menu option to unlock the door

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In modern AAA games with stealth systems you throw rocks or whistle to distract something or interact with something far but Prey gives you a loving Nerf gun

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can use the crossbow to shoot the screen, there is a menu option to unlock the door

This. However, there is another room in this area that appears to be inaccessible. It's called Lab B-3 Typhon Nightlight testing, and there does not appear to be any way to open the door. I've scoured the level and can't find a way in. There's nothing in there but a random mimic, but dammit it is the principle of the thing!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 8, 2017

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

This one and Dr Devries' office (not super far yet so there may be more) can be accessed by save scumming/getting lucky with the nerf gun. You basically do your best to bounce it off a wall (the office you're talking about) or a GLOO glob on the floor (how I did Devries') to hit the button that will be on the left side (facing in to the door). Devries' office took a lot more tries because it's further away and there's a divider making it hard to see where your shots are going.

I did this to Devries' office because the security tracker showed him like 400m up in the Lobby and I assumed that meant he was spaced or something. Apparently people did this in the Demo to get into his office but his body is actually in the Arboretum? Haven't gotten there yet.

EDIT:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

poo poo didn't know they were capacitive! Would've saved some time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, speaking of minor details. Does anyone know where Rich Ivers is? I was going to the Neuromod Division cleaning up crew locations and it says he's in Fabrication, but when I try to place a marker on him the objective auto-fails. I was worried I'd recycled his corpse or something, but when I load and earlier save before I'd even entered that area, it does the same thing. Any ideas?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

Because Bioshock Infinite was a better hype cycle than a game, and Bethesda didn't provide review copies so some reviewers clearly rushed through and didn't realize what makes the game so good. It doesn't really matter.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lakbay posted:

In modern AAA games with stealth systems you throw rocks or whistle to distract something or interact with something far but Prey gives you a loving Nerf gun
I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong but whenever I use it as a distraction the phantoms tend to come straight at me, not the impact point.

It also doesn't work for setting up traps, since the bolts set off placed grenades (and the sound isn't super loud to lure enemies into the path of a grenade)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Because Bioshock Infinite was a better hype cycle than a game, and Bethesda didn't provide review copies so some reviewers clearly rushed through and didn't realize what makes the game so good. It doesn't really matter.

It also had a lot of spectacle with all the giant set pieces. Mechanically I think Prey is a much stronger game, but it's a lot easier to be struck by Infinite on a surface level because all the best stuff is shoved right up in your face.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

Bioshock Infinite was also very VERY hand holding in terms of game play presentation. It was impossible to get off the roller coaster ride and every area was mandatory.

Remember the average "reviewer" now for publications is actually very terrible at video games and would far rather be playing some arty farty casual side scroller which is mostly concerned with listening to soft synthwave music and looking at hand drawn pixel art. A good example of this is that infamous Polygon video where a completely clueless reviewer tried to play Doom and could barely shoot anything - it was so bad it looked like their first ever FPS.

Of course Hipster McCasualWankMcMoneyCheque doesn't like Prey. Where are the giant overhead arrows? Where is the rambo gun? Why are there no romance options? You need to use BOTH hands and actually aim? 5/10 mediocre!

I totally get why Zenimax doesn't entertain reviewers anymore with free games. Not like people can't just not preorder and wait for reviews after release anyway.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Bioshock Infinite was also very VERY hand holding in terms of game play presentation. It was impossible to get off the roller coaster ride and every area was mandatory.

Remember the average "reviewer" now for publications is actually very terrible at video games and would far rather be playing some arty farty casual side scroller which is mostly concerned with listening to soft synthwave music and looking at hand drawn pixel art. A good example of this is that infamous Polygon video where a completely clueless reviewer tried to play Doom and could barely shoot anything - it was so bad it looked like their first ever FPS.

Of course Hipster McCasualWankMcMoneyCheque doesn't like Prey. Where are the giant overhead arrows? Where is the rambo gun? Why are there no romance options? You need to use BOTH hands and actually aim? 5/10 mediocre!

I totally get why Zenimax doesn't entertain reviewers anymore with free games. Not like people can't just not preorder and wait for reviews after release anyway.

you got issues dude

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Calling most reviewers bad at games is a little reductive. Sure, it's true sometimes, but more often than not most of them are just busy. They often don't get a chance to stop and let a game soak in, even if they really want to, because they've always got to move on to the next thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

you got issues dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong but whenever I use it as a distraction the phantoms tend to come straight at me, not the impact point.

It also doesn't work for setting up traps, since the bolts set off placed grenades (and the sound isn't super loud to lure enemies into the path of a grenade)

Using it to distract the explodey ball things it seems like they chase after the bolt rather than going where it hit. So maybe it is bouncing off a wall and coming right back at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Calling most reviewers bad at games is a little reductive. Sure, it's true sometimes, but more often than not most of them are just busy. They often don't get a chance to stop and let a game soak in, even if they really want to, because they've always got to move on to the next thing.

Best reviewers are YouTubers who actually do spend a lot of time with each game.

Sure you might have to wait until after release to get a solid impression of value but thats always the sensible option anyway.