Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"An Irish police investigation into allegedly blasphemous comments made by Stephen Fry has been dropped after detectives decided there were not enough people who had been outraged by the remarks."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-a7725116.html

So many jokes to make so little time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that's really an option for Corbyn because the question would just be asked again and again making him look increasingly ridiculous if he refuses to answer. It works if the interviewer is prepared to just move on.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

He doesn't look ridiculous if he says he's in the election to win it and it's important Labour does win because the Conservatives are destroying our health and education system and putting the economy at risk through their failure to have a plan for Brexit.

It's exactly what people expect him to say.

Blurting out that you expect to stay on even if you lose the election is not something leaders do. The EU referendum was not an election.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kokoro Wish posted:

If they (the PLP) do, and he goes along with it, that's him probably crossed off the list of favourables. That's really just how badly the PLP have screwed the pooch since Corbyn's election. They'll taint anything they manage to get their hands on.

They all just really need to do a ritual suicide in some vain attempt to elevate big tone to daemonhood or something.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's not about the Ecuadorian embassy, I just didn't want to give away the actual one. Does it being a permanent posting matter? No embassy staff is permanent, and in this case the contract gets "re-signed" every year by both sides so I'm not sure which way this goes. The reason I'm asking is that the contract straight up ignores a load of UK employment laws (and ones from the host country, but that will be much harder to bring to court in the host country), so I was wondering if he could try to get some improvements in working conditions via UK law. Mostly stuff like time spent working, zero hours bullshit with an added minimum shifts per week only on his side (so he has to work 8 shifts a week, but if he's only given 3 that's also fine), amount of holiday/sick leave, etc.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

jabby posted:

In 2010 UKIP were nowhere and Labour got 29% of the vote. In 2015 UKIP had suddenly replaced the Lib Dems as the third party and Labour got 30% of the vote. Now in 2017 it's looking like UKIP will collapse and Labour is likely to get.. somewhere around 30% of the vote.

Regardless of whose votes are going where we've basically gone from having a significantly sized third party (either the Lib Dems or UKIP) to suddenly having just two main parties. Obviously it's a shame Corbyn hasn't managed to overcome his obstacles and hoover up some of those votes but the most truthful narrative is that Labour is the only opposition party whose vote share hasn't collapsed over the last two elections. Assuming the polls are relatively accurate of course.

YouGov have tried to break down some of the flows:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Interesting that UKIP got more Lib Dem voters than Labour voters. Throws into doubt the idea that people went Labour -> UKIP -> Tory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dispatch_async posted:

Looks mostly like the Tories have picked up all the Eurosceptic Lib Dems.

E: Kelvin Mackenzie is being kicked out of the Sun.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Miftan posted:

It's not about the Ecuadorian embassy, I just didn't want to give away the actual one. Does it being a permanent posting matter? No embassy staff is permanent, and in this case the contract gets "re-signed" every year by both sides so I'm not sure which way this goes. The reason I'm asking is that the contract straight up ignores a load of UK employment laws (and ones from the host country, but that will be much harder to bring to court in the host country), so I was wondering if he could try to get some improvements in working conditions via UK law. Mostly stuff like time spent working, zero hours bullshit with an added minimum shifts per week only on his side (so he has to work 8 shifts a week, but if he's only given 3 that's also fine), amount of holiday/sick leave, etc.

If the contract violates the working time directive they can bring their case to an employment tribunal, the court of appeal specifically ruled that domestic UK law preventing this was incompatible with EU law based on past ECrtHR judgement in 2015

I would expect resistance though

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bleeding activist judges siding with the Brussels tyrants against our sovereign parliament!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

E: Kelvin Mackenzie is being kicked out of the Sun.

Wonder how long it takes them to bring him back this time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Well, this won't be a problem in two years! Anyway it has some other blatant illegal poo poo in it such as a prohibition on unionising and an appendix that I managed to get removed saying women were not allowed to get pregnant while they were working there

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: nm, been covered already

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 9, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

dispatch_async posted:

I'm struggling to think what kind of Lib Dem voter would go UKIP. People are weird.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zephro posted:

I'm struggling to think what kind of Lib Dem voter would go UKIP. People are weird.

shy tory type

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

This really sounds like you need an actual employment lawyer who know proper law language to help you out.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think there would be more than a few firms eager to take on an embassy related employment tribunal case just cause of the relevantly recent judgements on the issue and a chance to get their name on some early cases

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

The kind that voted for them in 2010 as a protest against Labour and Cameron's Tories?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I think they're considering talking to unite to see if they can help, but a lawyer is obably the safest bet and I've told him as much. It's mostly a money issue.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zephro posted:

lib dem voters are bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dispatch_async posted:

i'm in the lib dem to other parties bit

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the libdems were a mistake

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

They did try to court the right-libertarian vote in 2015. In a typical kipper fashion of "don't worry, we'll only be authoritarian against those who don't integrate", but it might have swayed a few.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

I think they're considering talking to unite to see if they can help, but a lawyer is obably the safest bet and I've told him as much. It's mostly a money issue.
I have no idea if your friend's situation is the sort of thing they can help with but it's at least worth looking into Bar Pro Bono and LawWorks.

Edit: Also possibly these people? Anyway Google around a bit, there might be other options available.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 9, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jose posted:

i'm in the lib dem to other parties bit

You voted for UKIP 2 years ago?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

The kind that voted for them in 2010 as a protest against Labour and Cameron's Tories?
Maybe, but why wouldnt' they just have voted UKIP at the time? The Lib Dems are pretty much the direct opposite of UKIP - liberal economics and liberal socially, pro-EU and in favour of immigration. There's literally zero crossover. At least you can make sense of some Labour voters going UKIP (social conservatives; people who swallow the pro-NHS pro-welfare state rhetoric they occasionally come out with; racists).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TACD posted:

I have no idea if your friend's situation is the sort of thing they can help with but it's at least worth looking into Bar Pro Bono and LawWorks.

I'll pass it on, thank you.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

They did try to court the right-libertarian vote in 2015. In a typical kipper fashion of "don't worry, we'll only be authoritarian against those who don't integrate", but it might have swayed a few.

this is talking about 2010 Lib Dem voters who switched to UKIP in 2015. I know my mam voted Lib Dem in 2005 and 2010 after voting Labour all her life because she hated Big Tone, and I suspect she voted UKIP in 2015. Working class people who hated the Tories and were turned off Labour by Blair had nowhere other than the Lib Dems to go until UKIP came along unless they wanted to vote BNP who definitely had more of a 'you are a full racist if you vote for them' than UKIP managed to garner.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im voting lib dem

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You voted for UKIP 2 years ago?

whoops thats what i get for posting hungover. no i voted TUSC 2 years ago

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Steve2911 posted:

Cool then making the parking free for everyone is the best solution and still makes more sense than charging.

I've not seen detail of Labour's proposal beyond the headlines.
for the love of god please tell me that London hospitals are exempt. if not that's more befitting the monster raving looney party

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

fridge corn posted:

im voting lib dem

I am probably voting Lib Dem, as Labour has as much chance of winning this seat as we have of finding out that Mars has a secret communist colony run by Zombie Lenin. I really hate the fact I am having to vote Lib Dem though, it feels dirty :( FPTP is such a poo poo system.

I could see the local Tory MP getting 80% of the vote at the next election, its already one of the safest seats in the country but UKIP had almost 15% of the votes last time and all of them are going to go to the Theresa May party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Maybe, but why wouldnt' they just have voted UKIP at the time? The Lib Dems are pretty much the direct opposite of UKIP - liberal economics and liberal socially, pro-EU and in favour of immigration. There's literally zero crossover. At least you can make sense of some Labour voters going UKIP (social conservatives; people who swallow the pro-NHS pro-welfare state rhetoric they occasionally come out with; racists).
They're both arch free market capitalists economically, just one thinks said market should be restricted to the EU and the other to the UK.

Baron Corbyn posted:

this is talking about 2010 Lib Dem voters who switched to UKIP in 2015. I know my mam voted Lib Dem in 2005 and 2010 after voting Labour all her life because she hated Big Tone, and I suspect she voted UKIP in 2015. Working class people who hated the Tories and were turned off Labour by Blair had nowhere other than the Lib Dems to go until UKIP came along unless they wanted to vote BNP who definitely had more of a 'you are a full racist if you vote for them' than UKIP managed to garner.
Yeah, that's where their courting of the right-libertarian vote came in.

A lot of the tabloid opposition to New Labour wasn't their PFIs or tax credits or economic shift rightwards, it was their penchant for authoritarianism and prohibitionism. That's why you got Lib Dems accusing New Labour of legislative diarrhoea (TW: Chris Huhne, Daily Mail). It got worse under Brown even if he was economically better than Blair.

Then when the Lib Dems got into coalition and promptly folded on everything and became part of the establishment, it was UKIP saying "we're common sense, we'll bring back smoking in pubs and gollys on marmalade and building a spud gun with your son in your back yard, and the only things we'll ban are things only foreigners do anyway" which I can see capturing a section of that vote.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ukle posted:

I am probably voting Lib Dem, as Labour has as much chance of winning this seat as we have of finding out that Mars has a secret communist colony run by Zombie Lenin. I really hate the fact I am having to vote Lib Dem though, it feels dirty :( FPTP is such a poo poo system.

I could see the local Tory MP getting 80% of the vote at the next election, its already one of the safest seats in the country but UKIP had almost 15% of the votes last time and all of them are going to go to the Theresa May party.

At least my lib dem candidate has a chance of winning

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fridge corn posted:

im voting lib dem

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ronya posted:

note that in the EU a union can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement that binds nonmember terms of remuneration, minimum wages, safety, etc. it merely cannot require membership or fees. EU countries can be quite hot on granting unions statutory powers over employer-backed funds or otherwise codeterminatory statutory bodies

That applies to the UK as well? (For now at least)

What percent of the UK labor force is unionized or covered by a union collective bargaining agreement? OECD stat for unionization rate (~25%) is relatively high by neoliberal Anglosphere standards, what further percentage are covered by union contracts but not actually in the union?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 9, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

that's my guy

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

fridge corn posted:

At least my lib dem candidate has a chance of winning

The local lib dem candidate in 2010 was within 15% of the Tory, its just thanks to Clegg their vote collapsed and the 2015 candidate only just kept their deposit. It took decades of work by the Lib Dem's locally to get it that high but was all undone so quickly. Speaking to neighbors and anyone who is not voting Tory is voting Lib Dem's here so its likely they are going to recover some of their vote share. Its completely the wrong demographic for Labour (countryside, high education, high wealth) to have any chance here.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Three long-standing Labour activists have been expelled from the party for supporting the NHA candidate against Jeremy Hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/861898499029254145

• Locked thread