Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I need to read Mason & Dixon next, but 2017 is not a good year for me finishing novels. I'm getting bored by everything I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

What if it was called Lot 69

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

fridge corn posted:

im reading pynchon on this the day of pynchon

I didn't know Pynchon had his own day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I didn't know Pynchon had his own day.

Today's his birthday. Fans celebrate it by "Reading Pynchon in Public" day. I don't know why, but I'm all for saying Happy Birthday for the guy and people reading him more.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Currently reading V. on the MRT, good imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sung to the tune of "Insane In The Membrane" V on the MRT

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

poo poo I guess it's time to finally read Bleeding Edge. Having the urge to re-read one of the big ones, despite having done them twice each.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The more Dave Eggers I read the more perplexed I am by the popularity of Dave Eggers

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The more Dave Eggers I read the more perplexed I am by the popularity of Dave Eggers

He writes like a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 25, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pleasecallmechrist posted:

I love y'all so much for this. Literary darling my dick. He founded the West coast version of basically the new Yorker and Paris review, which eh. Other than that, he has that whole i have a tragic backstory that happened to my rich family but is not supposed to happen to rich families and my trauma has made me so deep and worth listening to.

Look at his bibliography. Dude is just hitting every note he can to be popular with literati. He's like the Obama of the lit world.

Inb4 mad. Retard has tragic backstory and is all of a sudden seen as some sort of literary messiah. gently caress off

I agree with you but wow, do you have some personal beef with Dave Eggers?

The Circle tragically misses having any resonance with the real world and reads like a complete Luddite write it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

I agree with you but wow, do you have some personal beef with Dave Eggers?

The Circle tragically misses having any resonance with the real world and reads like a complete Luddite write it.

I read a really good critique of the circle that said it failed because it undermined the actual horror of social media - the fact no one is really in control. By taking the impossibility of control and turning it into a fully competent cult, you actually end up making the issue less worrying.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I thought Heartbreaking was alright when I read it 15 years ago but I've never had any desire to check out anything else Eggers wrote.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

I thought Heartbreaking was alright when I read it 15 years ago but I've never had any desire to check out anything else Eggers wrote.

I read Hologram for the King and it was the most 21st century white male novel I could imagine and I am including Franzen in this

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

I love y'all so much for this. Literary darling my dick. He founded the West coast version of basically the new Yorker and Paris review, which eh. Other than that, he has that whole i have a tragic backstory that happened to my rich family but is not supposed to happen to rich families and my trauma has made me so deep and worth listening to.

Look at his bibliography. Dude is just hitting every note he can to be popular with literati. He's like the Obama of the lit world.

Inb4 mad. Retard has tragic backstory and is all of a sudden seen as some sort of literary messiah. gently caress off

i think i'll buy one of his books now. if eggers inspires such hate, there must be something interesting about his stuff

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 25, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

i think i'll buy one of his books now. if eggers inspires such hate, there must be something interesting about his stuff

I think that's the opposite of what people are saying, bud.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Another example would be Between the World and Me. Decent book but it was so precisely tuned and so certain of its success, because of course people especially progressives are gonna eat it up.

lol gently caress off

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 25, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Powaqoatse posted:

same this etc

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Is there any way that that book would have failed in that intellectual climate? Hell no. White progressives were climbing over themselves to find a way to not be associated with white people. Coates himself commented on how much white people loved his book and how they were the only race at his readings.

Yeah, well, for a lot of people it was an eye-opening reading experiences, and frankly, I'm glad that that was the outcome. It could have very easily gone the opposite way.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Btwam was good who cares if white people like it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is there any way that that book would have failed in that intellectual climate? Hell no. White progressives were climbing over themselves to find a way to not be associated with white people. Coates himself commented on how much white people loved his book and how they were the only race at his readings.

A. you hilariously are misquoting/misinterpreting the Coates quote

B. I think its wildly disingenuous to say any black person could write any book about the black experience and it would be the critical and commercial success Coates' book was. His book became instantly iconic for a reason, and its not woke white people tumbling over each other to pat themselves on the back.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I hate both sorts of white men, dead and living.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but I mean do you think the latter part was Coates' goal with the book, or was he surprised that white people were the ones eating it up? Like it sounds like you think it was a cynical cash grab, and not a sincere autobiography written largely to his son

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

I hate both sorts of white men, dead and living.

that means you hate LGTBQ white men and have outed yourself as a hateful bigot

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I read a really good critique of the circle that said it failed because it undermined the actual horror of social media - the fact no one is really in control. By taking the impossibility of control and turning it into a fully competent cult, you actually end up making the issue less worrying.

Eggers should watch Silicon Valley.

I'm reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk. I like the narration and acknowledgement of the fact that it is a novel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but I mean do you think the latter part was Coates' goal with the book, or was he surprised that white people were the ones eating it up? Like it sounds like you think it was a cynical cash grab, and not a sincere autobiography written largely to his son

Actually he was saying it bothered him that a book about the black experience to other black people was being culturally analyzed by its value to white people and how we need to break from a critical culture that prioritizes the response of white readers

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Snow is good, but weaker than either The Black Book or My Name Is Red,imo

i'm about 800 pp in 2666 and it's ok, but after that + The Third Reich and some shorts I read some years ago, I don't think i'll read any more Bolaño, sorry dudes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

I'm reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk. I like the narration and acknowledgement of the fact that it is a novel.

Snow owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just remember another reason why the whole "BTWAM was designed to succeed" thing fails

People forget it was released on the exact same day as Go Set a Watchman, the most hyped and advertised book of that entire year. If they were so sure it was gonna be a hit, they would not have put it up against the biggest literary release of the season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

My Name Is Red has each of its narrators (most are drawings of inanimate objects) acknowledge you are a reader, this is a book, and Orhan Pamuk is a character himself, as an overly-sensitive child terrified of everything. It's really cool.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This is about how predictable and superficial American literature has become because progressive ideologies are the only ones that are celebrated and half the time they are only celebrated for being progressive ideologies, such as Dave Eggers

*places hands upon chin*

Please tell me a book you think deserved greater recognition and didn't receive it because it didn't cater to progessivism

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Eh. I wasn't referring to commercial success. I was talking about how eulogized it was.

Furthering my point would be about his receiving the Macarthur Genius, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Hrm yes, one of the foremost respected and admired writers about race in America receiving a prize for thinkers who deal with important issues of the current era is completely ludicrous

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't think Coates catered to progressivism. Eggers does, and DFW certainly did to academia. We both agree that Coates wrote a good book without nefarious intent. I used his book as an example of how predictable readers of modern literature have become, which is the cause of Eggwrs popularity.

name a good book in your eyes that failed because it didn't cater to the predictability of modern readers

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hillbilly Elegy. Which did come out before the election.

Oh that Best-selling book that was on a lot of Best of the Year book lists? Yeah, what a sleeper.