Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You get blacklisted for not following instructions and being unaware of professional norms.

This is true. But sometimes you don't have the option not to work somewhere unpleasant.

Explaining Context to Goons vol. #893750

Yeah, my self-worth and likelihood to actually follow my own advice plummet when unemployed :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Virtue posted:

I wasn't aware the Canadian bubble was this bad. Very interesting stuff. I still don't get what changed so suddenly between buying the house and whenever the dude decided he wanted out.

Maybe the ywas "house poor" and realized that they couldn't afford to even pay the mortgage?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe the ywas "house poor" and realized that they couldn't afford to even pay the mortgage?

Seems like something you would realize during the process of getting the mortgage though

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Virtue posted:

Seems like something you would realize during the process of getting the mortgage though

You sweet summer child :allears:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The reason they couldn't do it was probably they hired somebody else at their offered salary

I've never seen a company do that. It wouldn't be surprising if they just said "no" and let the offer stand at the original salary (and moved on to the next choice if he said no), but moving on from what was presumably their first choice because he deigned to ask for more money is ridiculous on their part.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I've never seen a company do that. It wouldn't be surprising if they just said "no" and let the offer stand at the original salary (and moved on to the next choice if he said no), but moving on from what was presumably their first choice because he deigned to ask for more money is ridiculous on their part.

It definitely happens. I knew a girl who counter-offered with a ten percent bump, was asked to step outside so they could confer, and when they brought her back in they rescinded her offer. If you are young, a minority, or female you're supposed to take whatever they give you and be grateful for it. It's more important to some companies to hold the line on never giving in to "greedy" applicants than to not miss out on a first choice hire.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Small businesses are sometimes loving weird. See: the owner also regularly reads everyone's email. That's a huge red flag.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It definitely happens. I knew a girl who counter-offered with a ten percent bump, was asked to step outside so they could confer, and when they brought her back in they rescinded her offer. If you are young, a minority, or female you're supposed to take whatever they give you and be grateful for it. It's more important to some companies to hold the line on never giving in to "greedy" applicants than to not miss out on a first choice hire.

Why did you decide to inject race and gender into the discussion?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are a lot of lovely companies out there. I've been offered an interview and then rejected in the next e-mail because I asked a question about the interview. Company wanted me across the country the next morning for an interview. I e-mailed back asking if they had a travel coordinator or site I should use to book the travel. Next response was a rescinded interview / rejection about an hour later. The only (non-rear end in a top hat) thing I can think of is that maybe they screwed up and thought I was a local candidate, then rejected once they realized they'd asked someone to fly out to OR from CT on less than a day's notice.

quote:

See: the owner also regularly reads everyone's email. That's a huge red flag.

This is awful. Also in general, gently caress small businesses. I'll take big, impersonal corporations over lovely little fiefdoms any day.

quote:

She's right, though.

Edit:

VVVVV I caught the ninja edit and laughed. I imagine the thought process: "Don't trust boomers on employment." Wait... edit... "on employment and spending." No... gently caress it. "anything." "Don't trust boomers. They want your organs."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 9, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There should be a custom flag at the top of BFC or some such that reads out "Don't listen to baby boomers for advice on loving anything" it's a common theme in a lot of the more amusing stories across all the many realms of finance.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Virtue posted:

Because it basically doesn't happen to white men. It's so unheard of that the only advice I ever hear is to refuse to share your previous salary and to always negotiate for more money. "Hey, the worst that could happen is they don't change their offer." Yes, for us, that is probably the worst that would happen. For others...

(The story that kicked this off is apparently about a job at a public agency, which is a less common situation, but even there, their first response was conciliatory: "oh, you must have misunderstood, we can't give you an offer that high, so just accept something lower.")

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sundae posted:

The only (non-rear end in a top hat) thing I can think of is that maybe they screwed up and thought I was a local candidate, then rejected once they realized they'd asked someone to fly out to OR from CT on less than a day's notice.
This sounds like the most likely thing, to me.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Because it basically doesn't happen to white men. It's so unheard of that the only advice I ever hear is to refuse to share your previous salary and to always negotiate for more money. "Hey, the worst that could happen is they don't change their offer." Yes, for us, that is probably the worst that would happen. For others...

(The story that kicked this off is apparently about a job at a public agency, which is a less common situation, but even there, their first response was conciliatory: "oh, you must have misunderstood, we can't give you an offer that high, so just accept something lower.")
I mean, the worst thing that can happen is the offer is rescinded has always been the case - it's just rare and coincident with other Bad Things that reduce the value of an offer anyway. It's definitely a bit risky to negotiate salary aggressively if you have no backup and need a job, even an awful one, right now. Most of the people who go online and seek out negotiation advice are not in this position though, making advice that focuses or highlights this risk somewhat dangerous - many(most?) people are afraid to negotiate aggressively in any situation and it "confirms" their bias thus leading to inaction where they could have done much better for themselves. The advice "always negotiate" is given because, it's going to have the best results in aggregate.

If you truly need the first job that comes your way, trying to negotiate does carry some risk that you have to estimate, and it's certainly higher for women and minorities. That said, negotiating is still going to have better results on average than not doing so - it's only the worst case where it's truly worse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Because it basically doesn't happen to white men. It's so unheard of that the ....

This whole conversation started with a 28 year old guy trying to negotiate and losing the job an hour later. OP didn't specify the race, but it's a 28 year old guy telling a potential employer that his mom told him to ask for more money.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
His mom, a WOMAN, told him to know his worth.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you truly need the first job that comes your way, trying to negotiate does carry some risk that you have to estimate, and it's certainly higher for women and minorities. That said, negotiating is still going to have better results on average than not doing so - it's only the worst case where it's truly worse.

White men underestimate how incredibly high the risk is for women and minorities, especially since the job interview process itself is already a minefield of employers looking for signs that you'll abandon them to go have babies, or not be a good "culture fit." People who are privileged don't give good advice to people who aren't. That's true for white dudes talking to non-white non-dudes, and it's true for Boomers talking to everyone. Don't trust them. They want your organs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Droo posted:

This whole conversation started with a 28 year old guy trying to negotiate and losing the job an hour later. OP didn't specify the race, but it's a 28 year old guy telling a potential employer that his mom told him to ask for more money.

That guy did was not negotiating. He turned down the offer.

I'm willing to believe women and minorities have a harder time negotiating salaries.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Rejecting an offer is not the same as negotiating.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's true for white dudes talking to non-white non-dudes, and it's true for Boomers talking to everyone. Don't trust them. They want your organs.

I'm a white dude and I just need a single kidney. Come on. I mean my kidneys are fine, but I could always use a spare.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Droo posted:

He was black.

But the point is that he was close to the legally allowed limit they could pay him for his position and both of his counter offers were higher than he could be legally paid. The salary grade is publicly available and on the application. He also declined the offer and then thought they were going to call him back the next day.

He got some bad advice somewhere along the line.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't trust anyone over 50.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Bad With Money 2.0: Don't Trust Boomers. They Want Your Organs.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Droo posted:

That's true. You'll find I said more true things about the incident a little further in my post.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's true. You'll find I said more true things about the incident a little further in my post.

I can't imagine any employer would want to deal with someone who mentions "my mother" during salary negotiations.

"I'm sorry, no promotion this year because - "
"MOM!"
---
"Can you fill out these TPS reports? As you know..."
"MOM!"
---
"We're having a team lunch and..."
"MOM!"
etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We once flew a candidate out for a round of interviews with a bunch of others, and day 1 was an intro/hangout thing. Day 2 was the actual interviews. The candidate hung out and whatever on day 1, and didn't show up on day 2 because she was "stressed about the interview". She ghosted the recruiters, didn't call or answer any calls, spent the day hanging out in her hotel and then took the flight back home. They all wondered if they should call the police and say she was missing, until another one of the candidates saw her on the flight back.

Her mother called the recruiter the next day, explained what happened, and asked them to give her another chance. Look, I know you paid for flights and lodging to interview my daughter and she didn't show up to the interview, but let's do it again and she's gonna be great! I swear!

The recruiter was unmoved. Recruiter also called the candidate's school's career office that had recommended her and had some tough words for the staff there about the caliber of candidates they were sending.

I think a good rule of thumb is that unless your parent personally knows the person making the hiring decision or unless your parent is senior in the chain of command in the same company, having your parents call the hiring manager is never going to end favorably for you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder if mom guy was trying to say he was "raised right" rather than "before I left today my mom gave me a pep talk."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So weird to see the unedited version of this after all the memes it's been a template for.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

A horse of course

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6a7k1l/my_fiance_31_f_has_gotten_into_horses_and_its/ posted:

Been together for 3 years. My fiance went horse riding once with a friend and decided she wanted to get into the hobby. First came the horse riding lessons, then 2 months later, came buying a horse and having it trained, paying for boarding, then came buying a second horse 3 months later, paying for boarding. Now she wants to buy a $10k trailer and for me to buy a big truck to pull it.

Financially, we are both professionals that make pretty good money, but we both have a very large amount of student loans ($400k combined), she needs a new car.

I have saved a pretty good chunk of change for when I start my own business and money is tough, but she hardly has any savings and she doesn't really have any urgency towards savings or responsibility.

I told her one day I had reservations about how much this hobby was starting to cost us. I tried to lay out the idea that she was spending a ton of money on horse things that could be better spent on retirement, loans, savings, her a new car, etc. But she is saying that I'm not supporting her hobbies. I'm not trying to tell her that it's irresponsible to spend her money how she wishes, but I feel like I'm starting to see that her expensive hobby is going to start impacting our future financially.

Any advice?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Inept posted:

student loans ($400k combined)

Breaking her neck after her horse thinks of a bee and startles is probably the best case scenario here.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Breaking her neck after her horse thinks of a bee and startles is probably the best case scenario here.

Eh, they're doctors. Even with the OP posting that "we don't make as much as people think", they'd probably be okay in a world without horses.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

So weird to see the unedited version of this after all the memes it's been a template for.

That's edited.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

crazysim posted:

That's edited.

Wait really? But the punchline was the same :negative:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

crazysim posted:

That's edited.

That's edited? What the hell is the original then?!

EDIT: It's the original.... http://explosm.net/comics/1233/

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Inept posted:

A horse of course

This doesn't seem BMW to me. Most doctors excluding pcp could light money on fire for kindling during the winter months and still be fine. Not paying off the loans immediately is probably BMW but par for the course as far as doctors go. Wasting money on a hobby you can afford, not so much.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

That only worked because he's a loving White Male (tm). If he was a woman or minority they would have shot him in the head and dumped his body off the loading dock.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It seems fitting that BWM is corrected to BMW.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inept posted:

A horse of course

He can fix the fiance thing pretty easily

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I assume they don't hire too many women at Nice Young Men Incorporated.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Virtue posted:

This doesn't seem BMW to me. Most doctors excluding pcp could light money on fire for kindling during the winter months and still be fine. Not paying off the loans immediately is probably BMW but par for the course as far as doctors go. Wasting money on a hobby you can afford, not so much.

He says in the post that they can't really afford it and aren't saving anything, and he wants to be able to, while she wants to spend more money on horsies. This is pretty classic bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
:siren: Personal Anecdote I am so sorry :siren:

At my old company, I sat in on an interview where the hiring manager asked the female applicant, "This job probably won't be worth it to you if you are going to take any significant time off in your first 3 years. Do you plan on having kids any time soon? "

Applicant: "I... don't think you're supposed to ask that kind of question."

Manager: "I did, though. Do you have an answer?"

Applicant: "I don't want to answer that"

He did not hire her. Eye opening though to see how the law doesn't actually do poo poo when people can just do whatever they want anyway.