Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

VideoGames posted:

EA published the best Megadrive game of all time: Jame Pond II Robocod

Huh! My wife's uncle worked on that! and he told me how to get to the secret boss but I can't tell you cuz I promised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Avalerion posted:

Is The Sims an ea franchise? That's pretty big, especially with the casual crowd, could see it fitting on the switch.

Their previous console attempts were a little janky, but generally serviceable. I recall enjoying The Urbz as a kind of weird-rear end Animal Crossinglike, same with MySims, which was even more of an Animal Crossing clone. Prior attempts to make an actual version of The Sims 2 were partial or total failures on console because of memory limitations and the fact that DLC hadn't been invented yet.

A system like Switch could easily handle Sims 4, with some doctoring, and has the infrastructure to handle content expansions as DLC. Uh, that said I'd almost rather see them make another attempt at MySims, because the first one at least had some kind of interesting exploration-based progression, and the characters were really fun. I think they could take ideas developed in Minecraft or Dragon Quest Builders to really expand on the system of crafting and structural design that MySims relied on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man you just reminded me of the invincibility code in Robocod where you had to collect items in the correct order so the first letters spelled CHEAT. I'm not sure if I ever beat it without that....

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

TheScott2K posted:

I've been replaying it and SMW really is sublime. I'm now noticing all these little moments where they purposely gently caress with you and it makes me appreciate it even more.

like what, outside the ghost houses?

I've played it so many times that the game is basically memorized and I can play it kind of mindlessly

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

well why not posted:

Lol at Scorpio being PARADIGM SHIFTING. It's not even portable, what a joke.

It is shifting a paradigm in the sense that MS is doing something no console manufacturer has ever done before: spending an entire year hyping that they are about to shoot themselves in the foot by fragmenting their already diminished userbase. (Although apparently PSVR is selling well, so maybe the Scorpio won't be a bad gamble. We'll see.)

Still, this is exactly the kind of headline you definitely want to see a month from the big reveal if you are MS: "Very few gamers are interested in buying Project Scorpio or PS4 Pro, study finds"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Man you just reminded me of the invincibility code in Robocod where you had to collect items in the correct order so the first letters spelled CHEAT. I'm not sure if I ever beat it without that....

Cake Hammer Earth Apple and something.

There was also LIVES as well for infinite lives in the first level :D And I still hum the music to myself even to this day.

Flint_Paper posted:

Huh! My wife's uncle worked on that! and he told me how to get to the secret boss but I can't tell you cuz I promised

*Fox Mulder poster that says I want to Believe*

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Not a Children posted:

like what, outside the ghost houses?

I've played it so many times that the game is basically memorized and I can play it kind of mindlessly

One that comes to mind is an auto-scrolling level fairly early in the game that has platforms cycling up and down that'll crush you. For the first four or five platforms if you run to the far edge of the screen you'll get past them, but then you hit one that starts cycling back up and the far edge is nowhere in sight, and if you don't double back to the left side and get off you die. They get you used to it working one way, then they throw you a little curveball.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

JethroMcB posted:

It is shifting a paradigm in the sense that MS is doing something no console manufacturer has ever done before: spending an entire year hyping that they are about to shoot themselves in the foot by fragmenting their already diminished userbase. (Although apparently PSVR is selling well, so maybe the Scorpio won't be a bad gamble. We'll see.)

Still, this is exactly the kind of headline you definitely want to see a month from the big reveal if you are MS: "Very few gamers are interested in buying Project Scorpio or PS4 Pro, study finds"

PSVR selling well? Sure, but it's definitely not flying off the shelves.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
VR is dead until they figure out how to make it a loooooooot cheaper and wireless.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
NBA would be fun if they didn't lock 90% of the players in packs that you have to unlock through playing and if it didn't take stupidly long to load each round.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EpicNemesis posted:

NBA would be fun if they didn't lock 90% of the players in packs that you have to unlock through playing and if it didn't take stupidly long to load each round.

Gameplay and performance are pretty bad too this is not a good game it's a shame Nintendo are still so behind the curve in e shop customer service wish I could've refunded it

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
VR is gaming's version of 3D televisions. Every company is jumping on because no one wants to be left behind, but it's expensive and won't be a return on investment because it is in direct contradiction of the reason most people buy and play games/watch television; it takes a relaxing, mostly passive interaction with a medium into an intense active interaction.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rexroom posted:

Some regional retro classics.

Hewson Consultants was a famous British computer games publisher back in the 80s, which published many renown games for the ZX Spectrum and C64 and other 8-bit machines of the era before folding with the rise of 16-bit computers. Now they've returned via Kickstarter, and true to their multiplatform ways, they're also bringing Hyper Sentinel to the Switch, which is basically the 8-bit era classic shmup Uridium put through today's retro gaming conventions. Old farts will probably feel at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsi3cJXz_5E

No announcements yet to a specific date of publishing, but it's probably sometime in the near future. You can download a three-level demo for other platforms in the Kickstarter page.

It's hard to tell what is an enemy, also going back and forth kinda started to hurt my eyes after a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imagined posted:

VR is dead until they figure out how to make it a loooooooot cheaper and wireless.

That's what PSVR and things like Samsung Gear VR are for (compared to a full-blown Oculus or Vive setup at least). Just gotta wait and let them do rote evolutionary iterations for a few years until they're down to something reasonable and powerful enough to pull it all off. Foveated rendering's likely to help a lot, once everyone jumps on that bandwagon at least.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There are just so many fewer people interested in strapping a thing to their face to play games than there are people interested in sitting on their couch with a gamepad, still able to talk to their spouse/friends/half-watch a show on their phone. The hardware will get cheap, but the costs of creating the content, which isn't going to be usable outside VR and work completely differently than non-VR games, won't.

The whole thing is going to quietly settle into a sim racing/spaceships niche for turbo nerds and kitschy mall kiosk poo poo for everyone else.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

parallelodad posted:

Here's the ranking.

1) DKC3: Dixie's Double Trouble
2) DKCR: Tropical Freeze
3) DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4) DKCR
5) DKC
6) DKL
7) DKL3
8) DK64
9) DKL2
10) DK King of Swing
11) DK The other one that was on DS, or the other one that was on GBA? The King of Swing sequel or prequel

I never played the bongo one, can't rank. I'd honestly recommend any of 1 - 8

this guy gets it. tho i would personally trash dk64 all together because gently caress that game.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dizz posted:

It's hard to tell what is an enemy, also going back and forth kinda started to hurt my eyes after a while.

It looks like a way - worse version of GEM

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

this guy gets it.

No. In no reality is DKC3 better than DKC2. We should be publicly shaming this man. Stop supporting alternate facts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DKC 3 is a better drinking game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

3 has better graphics, level design, and I'll say it, music. It has the coolest atmosphere of the three as well and cool overworld adventure mechanics. The event design is really cool as well. Hidden stages are at just the right difficulty level to find, you have to look for them but they're not obtuse.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think VR is a failure and neither is the switch which is being outsold right now by VR so

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well why not posted:

Not sure on dates, but Death Stranding, God Of War, Gran Turismo, The Last of Us Pt. 2 and Knack 2 are all exclusives for PS4.

They don't matter though, because they're trapped in a giant box in a living room.

Sonys games for the rest of the year are going to be

Crash trilogy
Wipeout collection
Yakuza kiwami
Uncharted 4 standalone expansion
Days gone
Maybe knack 2 but probably see it after new year

Their fall is really all about activision marketing deals though with destiny and codww2 so expect a lot about both in their e3. They are gearing up to sell a lot of games and consoles on that alone.

Gow is a spring 2018 game
Death stranding and tlou2 are going to stretch past next e3

They've had an incredible 6 months and some big stuff still coming at a less frantic pace, i laughed at the post you quoted acting like they failed 2017

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 10, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many Oculus, Vive, PSVR units move a month combined?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don't think VR is a failure and neither is the switch which is being outsold right now by VR so

vr is stupid and will go away in a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sCJpR3x8o

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also PS4 has this years Best exclusive in Wipeout collection

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
For people who think VR is viable. Keep living in denial.

For people who don't, let's stop talking about it and just wait for time to prove us right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I just checked the numbers, as of November Vive had sold 140,000, they are said to have sold twice as many as Oculus, and as of January PSVR had sold 900,000.

This is all sub early WiiU level.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

They've had an incredible 6 months and some big stuff still coming at a less frantic pace, i laughed at the post you quoted acting like they failed 2017

I probably won't buy one but the PS4 is doing quite well. Even if xbone wasn't a joke it'd still be well positioned. This probably isn't the last PS platform but I wouldn't be surprised if the xbox division got remodelled once Scorpio shudders to it's death.

I can see why they're making a juicier bone but almsot everyone who cares about more power is slowly switching over to the weird PC building renaissance that's going on thanks to social media and some really good design / marketing from PC compontent manufacturers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Also PS4 has this years Best exclusive in Wipeout collection

Holy gently caress you made a good post

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

well why not posted:

I probably won't buy one but the PS4 is doing quite well. Even if xbone wasn't a joke it'd still be well positioned. This probably isn't the last PS platform but I wouldn't be surprised if the xbox division got remodelled once Scorpio shudders to it's death.

I can see why they're making a juicier bone but almsot everyone who cares about more power is slowly switching over to the weird PC building renaissance that's going on thanks to social media and some really good design / marketing from PC compontent manufacturers.

Really not wild about third party heavy consoles becoming a monopoly.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
My expensive super powered multi faceted gaming pc sure does a great job of streaming Twitch while I play loads of great games on my ps4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Louisgod posted:

vr is stupid and will go away in a year

It hasn't gone away in the past four years, I don't know why it would go away now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

It hasn't gone away in the past four years, I don't know why it would go away now.

Also every company involved has dumped a shitload of money investing int the technology. None of them are looking to back out either.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also every company involved has dumped a shitload of money investing int the technology. None of them are looking to back out either.

Said my friend who dumped $8k into a 75 inch 3-D TV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Does the PSVR HDMI passthru box still break HDR?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

TheScott2K posted:

Does the PSVR HDMI passthru box still break HDR?

Yes

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Remember when people thought the virtual boy would be big

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Macarius Wrench posted:

Nobody thought that, not even 10 year old me, who was dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Macarius Wrench posted:

Video games are dead and the NES will fail within a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not even Gunpei Yokoi thought that. He was like "This product needs a few years" and Nintendo was like "Nah we're releasing it this year. Hey this thing was a failure!" Then he was like "I resign in disgrace* then he invented the Wonderswan, and then he died.

• Locked thread