Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hey guess what my man? I updated webview and now it works! Thank you! Excellent work as always :D

Well poo poo, dunno why webview never appeared in my update list, but I clicked that link and... literally just used preview now before posting this post. :cheers:

(S5 running 6.0.1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well poo poo, dunno why webview never appeared in my update list

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is on an LG G2 running 5.0.2.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Not sure if this is a bug or known issue, but attached images don't show up, definitely when "only load images on Wi-Fi" is on and I'm not using Wi-Fi. I get the link, tap "show image inline" and nothing happens.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hmm yes, that's a thing that's happening

Also that got me to look at something else and noooooooo the horror

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, thanks for the work you guys put into the app. Sorry if this has been asked, would a feature for offline viewing of threads be feasible? Does it already exist and I can't find it? Cheers

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Hi, my name is ArcMage, and I have literally no idea how CSS works.

Here are some updated themes that fell out of my editor when I dropped my phone.

Dark theme

OLED theme

These look right on my device, for my particular value of 'right'. If you have icon size/position issues I'll see what I can do.

Bless.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jynn posted:

Hey, thanks for the work you guys put into the app. Sorry if this has been asked, would a feature for offline viewing of threads be feasible? Does it already exist and I can't find it? Cheers

Threads and forum lists are cached, so if you load a bunch of pages you should be able to reread them without a connection (I think it's a week until they're cleaned out)

There's no fancy scraping thing to automatically preload a bunch of threads though, right now anyway!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jynn posted:

At one point Lowtax was not a fan of anyone scraping the site for any reason, but that may not be as true now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
bug: if you try to post while under the flood restriction (which due to radium can be over 30 seconds sometimes) the app just silently eats your post instead of prompting you to wait.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

cis autodrag posted:

bug: if you try to post while under the flood restriction (which due to radium can be over 30 seconds sometimes) the app just silently eats your post instead of prompting you to wait.

Confirmed as happening to me as well

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I was wondering about that when I saw people talking about it. Hopefully it's not a hard fix though...

e- uncommonly smooth

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

baka kaba posted:

Heyyyy guys some of you are getting crashes when you're in Settings, trying to pick an option from a list of choices? Maybe picking a theme or picking a font, could be a different list though. Anyone had that, and if so what happened?

e- lol wait, I think I got this, it's themes when you've denied storage permission isn't it, isn't it

I denied the storage permission, tried to change the theme, got crash. If the permission is required, it would be nice to get a heads-up about this.

Also, if it's at all possible, I would really appreciate being able to change themes without granting full filesystem access. I have to use my personal phone for work, and I can't justify giving games and shitposting apps the keys to the kingdom in that respect :frogbon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I fixed it and it'll show up next version - it's not required, the permission just lets the app find and add custom themes to the standard list. But having it turned off just tripped something up and caused spooky events :spooky:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I hated the new frog at first, but I'm growing to love it.

Could there be a way to preview an entire URL when selecting it instead of just the first (x) characters? I want to see if it's worth opening. In a browser I'd hover over the link.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

vortmax posted:

Could there be a way to preview an entire URL when selecting it instead of just the first (x) characters? I want to see if it's worth opening. In a browser I'd hover over the link.
When you click on a link, the pop-up with the url is scrollable.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

vortmax posted:

I hated the new frog at first, but I'm growing to love it.

Glad to hear that :frogbon:

The url thing is scrollable but the font will be reduced in size in the next update to show more at the same time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is the any way (or are there plans) to make embedded tweets viewable in the app? It's slightly annoying to have to load a series of URLs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They already are?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

There Bias Two posted:

Is the any way (or are there plans) to make embedded tweets viewable in the app? It's slightly annoying to have to load a series of URLs.

like some sort of option you could enable in the options? hmmmm

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

bull3964 posted:

They already are?

Really? I only see links to them where they're usually visible.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

other people posted:

like some sort of option you could enable in the options? hmmmm

I have load images checked, but that doesn't seem to affect tweets.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm apparently blind. Thanks.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 11, 2017

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ardlen posted:

When you click on a link, the pop-up with the url is scrollable.

Sereri posted:

The url thing is scrollable but the font will be reduced in size in the next update to show more at the same time.
All this time and I never tried that. Thanks!

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for this app this is my first post with it 😋

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey nobody's supposed to be able to post!!

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Ups i did it again.. if I try to change them to dark app chrashed every time.
It's on an OnePlusX. Filled out a crash report.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah you can't change themes right now unless you've granted the file access permission, it's a bug in the current version

All we use the permissions for is checking the Awful folder for custom themes/layouts, and the download option if you click a link (and maybe saving/restoring your settings, I forget). You can grant permission temporarily until you've picked a theme if you like, it's just the theme picker that has the issue

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

All we use the permissions for is checking the Awful folder for custom themes/layouts, and the download option if you click a link (and maybe saving/restoring your settings, I forget). You can grant permission temporarily until you've picked a theme if you like, it's just the theme picker that has the issue

Well that and it automatically finds and sends all of your dickpics to your grandma.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Yeah you can't change themes right now unless you've granted the file access permission, it's a bug in the current version

Since the latest updates, are there any changes to POS or OLED custom variants? I haven't messed with editing them in probably a year, but they'd have UI aspects that were color-locked (probably as images etc).

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Thank you for the quick response.
Worked well but I changed back to default Is perfect for me.

And my grandma was happy to get pics from such a big, perfect and clean cook by the way :p

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

XenJ posted:

And my grandma was happy to get pics from such a big, perfect and clean cook by the way :p

This typo has killed me.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Scudworth posted:

This typo has killed me.

😨 Haha shame on me and sorry.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Awful.apk is SFG

sweart gliwere posted:

Since the latest updates, are there any changes to POS or OLED custom variants? I haven't messed with editing them in probably a year, but they'd have UI aspects that were color-locked (probably as images etc).

Uhhhhh not really sure, I haven't looked at that much personally and I don't think Sereri has either? As far as I'm aware we're basically just yoinking the normal website's HTML, so you can only style stuff that SA has already applied ids and classes to. Anything you can style in your desktop browser should work the same, I think. Only other new thing is embedded tweets use the dark-style widget if you're using a dark theme

If you mean the app's UI stuff like the post menu button, I don't think anything's changed styling-wise - if there's anything specific you want to be able to change, post a screenshot or whatever so we know what you're talking about and we can probably throw in a CSS selector or something! The dev thread might be the best place for it

Also maybe you're interested I don't know, I think Sereri was thinking of removing this if nobody's using it, but you can make your own custom layouts for posts. Here's the default template - you could rearrange that, add other elements and give them CSS classes or whatever, give everyone FYAD-style speech bubbles, go webdev wild. This is the syntax for inserting data, but really you just want to move all {{this kind of stuff}} around where you want it, and don't change the number of brackets. Save that as whatever.mustache in the same folder as your themes and it should work (I've never touched that stuff but you might want to play around with it)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

If you mean the app's UI stuff like the post menu button, I don't think anything's changed styling-wise - if there's anything specific you want to be able to change, post a screenshot or whatever so we know what you're talking about and we can probably throw in a CSS selector or something! The dev thread might be the best place for it

I'd feel like a butthole just quoting this in the dev thread and going
:gary:"...EVERYTHING"

...but I've always missed the neurotic granular hex theming the app used to offer. CSS selector would be great, I don't know why I've not tried one of those before. I should probably switch over to the beta.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hold up, I mean if you're writing CSS and there are some elements you can't select with a class or id or whatever, we can probably add one in so you can target it. But we'd need to know what kind of stuff you want to do (and what you're unable to do right now) so we can add some kind of consistent scheme instead of just throwing arbitrary attributes on things

Like exactly which elements do you want to affect, but you can't? You gotta bear in mind the thread view (with all the posts your CSS affects) is a separate thing from the rest of the app

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Forgive me to interrupt this thread again but I want really thank you for this app. It makes it so much more easier for me to be active in our beautiful forum. Thank you 🤗

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

:frogbon::hf::yayclod:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When I follow a link in from outside the app (from the Lepers Colon in a web browser), that post becomes what I go to when I pick bookmarks from the menu or launch the app from the launcher shortcut. I can access my bookmarks from the forum list, and it resets to normal when I force close the app.

I'm on the most current Play store version though it's been happening for a while and I've forgotten to reprort it​ until now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm yeah, that's definitely something that would happen. I'll add it as an issue - might be a while til it's fixed, it's kinda embedded in how the app works I think. But yeah force-closing should reset it, if you get stuck

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Hmm yeah, that's definitely something that would happen. I'll add it as an issue - might be a while til it's fixed, it's kinda embedded in how the app works I think. But yeah force-closing should reset it, if you get stuck

Awesome! It's not a killer, I infrequently see it and it's easy to reset to normal, as you observe. Thanks for working on this app!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Could I make a tiny feature request?

Would it be feasible to make it so long pressing on an emoticon brings up a toast with its bbcode or something of the sort? On my computer I can just hover over it to see what it is if I don't recognize it or can't tell what it's supposed to be or whatever, but in Awful I have to quote the post and check that way. If it's a closed or archived thread there's no way to tell if I don't already remember.

If it'd be a pain then don't bother, it's not a huge deal. Thanks for working on the app by the way, the update's really good.