Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
drat WCW sucks. Gonna watch Flair & Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope the Robocop shirt shows up on ebay and another bidding war between goons not communicating with each other happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I hope the Robocop shirt shows up on ebay and another bidding war between goons not communicating with each other happens.

There was definite communication.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

There was definite communication.

:ninja:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If a situation like the raft bidding war between goons ever happens again I say we all just pitch in a pre-agreed upon amount of cash money and then decide who the true owner is via a 40-man battle royal in WCW Revenge.
Because I want that Sting+Robocop shirt. I want it bad.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Haha I didn't realize Undertaker was in Capital Combat (pre-being the Undertaker, obviously)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sandman McMahon posted:

If a situation like the raft bidding war between goons ever happens again I say we all just pitch in a pre-agreed upon amount of cash money and then decide who the true owner is via a 40-man battle royal in WCW Revenge.
Because I want that Sting+Robocop shirt. I want it bad.
Casket Scaffold Match where the casket is doing a pool bump onto the raft.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has anyone ever talked about why DDP was pushed as a deranged sex pervert stalker in WWE rather than what got him over?

Was it... was it his idea?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone ever talked about why DDP was pushed as a deranged sex pervert stalker in WWE rather than what got him over?

Because they didn't think he was that big of a star and he rubbed a lot of guys the wrong way while he was there.

I mean he was a deranged sex pervert at times in WCW, namely Halloween Havoc 99 and THE PROMO.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

Because they didn't think he was that big of a star and he rubbed a lot of guys the wrong way while he was there.

I mean he was a deranged sex pervert at times in WCW, namely Halloween Havoc 99 and THE PROMO.

Nothing wrong with a little whackin

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

triplexpac posted:

some people might think wife-swapping with the neighbour is the behaviour of a deranged sex pervert

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't it also cause he was a friend of Eric Bischoff and people thought he got his push because of that?

Best part of Dave's reaction to DDP going into the WWE hall was him ripping into DDP's booking during the invasion

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The wife swapping thing and Bischoff friend thing are kinda the same thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

What is THE PROMO?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Press-...PAAAOSw32lYuJlg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

What is THE PROMO?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49_FLBKWtvyN3luMk4xRE9YeEk/edit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKYsBzyJ8U

That's the saddest parade I've ever seen.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah I don't blame WCW for pushing Hulk the way they did but so much of his early WCW stuff is just horrible, especially the vague attempts at changing up his character (Dark Side Hulk). By early 1996 he's absolutely a net negative on the promotion and I honestly got the impression that they were prepared to move on from him.

And then he became the best heel of all time for like three solid years.

Word going around before BAB '96 was his contract was up and during time off filming a movie, business improved and ratings were up without him being around. So he couldn't claim that business improved when only he returned. Just another strike against his ludicrous contract that a wrestling company wouldn't be able to afford under normal circumstances but having turner money helps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

Word going around before BAB '96 was his contract was up and during time off filming a movie, business improved and ratings were up without him being around. So he couldn't claim that business improved when only he returned. Just another strike against his ludicrous contract that a wrestling company wouldn't be able to afford under normal circumstances but having turner money helps.

His contract paid for itself until 99 when it didn't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

His contract paid for itself until 99 when it didn't.

He was absolutely a liability by the first half of 1996 which is part of why it was the best heel turn of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He was absolutely a liability by the first half of 1996 which is part of why it was the best heel turn of all time.

Uncensored 96 was the second biggest PPV number WCW did pre nWo and Superbrawl of that year was tied for third. Was face Hogan a long term creative problem if he stopped drawing? Sure. Did the creative suck? It sure did. But Hogan was drawing and drawing really big. He was running out of opponents but the nWo happened. WCW could have walked away from his contract right before it started to be a liability but Bischoff thought he was still the golden goose. They even had the pieces to replace Hogan at that point. His contract was a financial success for WCW until the entire company started to fall apart.

I used to agree but when I looked at those early 96 business figures I'd be a fool to say someone drawing those PPVs was a liability.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a part right where he starts teaming with Booty Man where I just get the distinct impression that WCW was ready to move on without Hulk in the picture if necessary.

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006

WHY WOULD DDP SAY THESE THINGS! WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY TACKLE HIM AND SHUT HIM UP?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's a part right where he starts teaming with Booty Man where I just get the distinct impression that WCW was ready to move on without Hulk in the picture if necessary.

I think the fact that he got his buddy repackaged again and got to say BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY MAN in promos meant Hogan had more power than ever before.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still find it super funny that WCW made way more money on Hogan/Flair than Vince did despite being given one of the best angles ever...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think the fact that he got his buddy repackaged again and got to say BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY MAN in promos meant Hogan had more power than ever before.

I wanna know whose idea that was because it looks like someone trying to play a joke on Ed Leslie

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

Would he have been popular if he got named "The rear end Man" before Billy Gunn?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jason Sextro posted:

I wanna know whose idea that was because it looks like someone trying to play a joke on Ed Leslie

I don't know too much about their friendship dynamic, but I would be willing to bet that Hogan got off on being the big rich important cool and good dude that got to lord over little Ed all the while tossing him scraps from his plate, whilst Ed was just happy to have a job with a steady paycheck.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't know too much about their friendship dynamic, but I would be willing to bet that Hogan got off on being the big rich important cool and good dude that got to lord over little Ed all the while tossing him scraps from his plate, whilst Ed was just happy to have a job with a steady paycheck.

I find it funny how huge of a margin their paychecks were; hogan's was 5,000,000 a year(more or less) while Leslie's was only 150,000 a year. It's not terrible but why so low?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Back like 5 years ago right after Jeff left WWE he was getting like $10k on the indies while Matt was getting $3k. Or you could get them both for $11k.

This was before Matt was being crazy and awesome. Just crazy and sad and fat.

I think it's pretty common for someone to bring a friend along for the ride when they have the power.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ColeM posted:

I find it funny how huge of a margin their paychecks were; hogan's was 5,000,000 a year(more or less) while Leslie's was only 150,000 a year. It's not terrible but why so low?

it was still too much

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When I was little, (and didn't know anything about his real life relationship to Hogan), I always liked Brutus 'the Barber' Beefcake. I used to love the tassles, and his crazy faces, and also how the opponent would sell getting a lock of hair cut as death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was a huge fan of his feud with Outlaw Ron Bass. It devastated me when Bass took the spurs to his face (was that to cover up an accident he'd had?) and was thrilled when Beefcake came back and beat him, then cut up his hat and wore it goofily.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I always hated Brutus Beefcake because I was a kid who appreciated workrate

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I was a huge fan of his feud with Outlaw Ron Bass. It devastated me when Bass took the spurs to his face (was that to cover up an accident he'd had?) and was thrilled when Beefcake came back and beat him, then cut up his hat and wore it goofily.

I think the spurs predates the boat accident by a few years

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I always hated Brutus Beefcake because I was a kid who appreciated workrate

same, I was a grumpy Calgary kid.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the spurs predates the boat accident by a few years

Or maybe... It foreshadowed it....

Dun dun dunnnnn

(ron bass drove the second boat)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Beefcake's promo on his return from the boat accident is one of the most brutal trainwrecks of an interview, not just for what he says but for how much the crowd hated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Beefcake's promo on his return from the boat accident is one of the most brutal trainwrecks of an interview, not just for what he says but for how much the crowd hated him.

watching a bunch of those old shows makes me wonder how much crowd noise was piped in on TV even back to the 80s - I typically saw a lot of people that looked like they were sitting on their hands underneath uproarious cheering