Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I know this isn't exactly the right thread but I was watching lots of documentaries on the Eiger. Has anyone ever descended the north face completely? People climb it but come down by the easy flanks. Surely descending is harder? I mean, physically climbing is easier upwards because you are looking in the direction of travel.

And how you climb DOWN an overhang??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Seems like an important question to answer before you start climbing UP an overhang to me. You know, in case you get stuck and have to back up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alternate descent routes are a very normal thing. They're also often the easy way up. There's a few mountains here where the descents of climbs are also legit ascents for scramblers. Most peaks here have alternative descents because descending the terrain is super dangerous and stupid.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

High Lord Elbow posted:

Seems like an important question to answer before you start climbing UP an overhang to me. You know, in case you get stuck and have to back up.

Tell that to Kurtz and Hinterstoisser. (Little Eiger joke for those in the know. :) )

Yes, obviously the ascent is usually the hard route and the decent easy(ier). EVerest is same there and back, which is doubles the bottleneck problem at the Hillary Step. Actually, come to think of it most Himalayan descent are the same route because of the use of camps. Even if you decide to descend more than one camp in a day you tend to go via the camps because they are the easier rout and you have supplies and shelter in case you need rest.

So, has no one ever done a 100% descent of the north face of the Eiger?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're using ropes, couldn't you just set a rope and rappel down a ledge?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

With all the equipment you're carrying that would be insanely hard, i imagine.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Steck did it faster. :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steck did it faster. :colbert:

holy poo poo

is he even in the grave yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm sure most of him is.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Arivia posted:

holy poo poo

is he even in the grave yet?

Rest in Pieces :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Some of the faces in 8 thousanders are literally hundreds of meters high, so you'd need at least a few hundred meters of rope.

Think about how much that weighs. There's a reason Porter's and Sherpas set ropes for weeks before the season really starts.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wasabi the J posted:

Some of the faces in 8 thousanders are literally hundreds of meters high, so you'd need at least a few hundred meters of rope.

Think about how much that weighs. There's a reason Porter's and Sherpas set ropes for weeks before the season really starts.

No, you just do multiple rappels from anchor point to anchor point. People do this all the time on multi-pitch routes - you set an anchor, rappel down to the next anchor point, build a new anchor there, pull down your rope, set up a new rappel, and so forth on down. It's a basic part of multi-pitch climbing, people rappel routes thousands of feet long with one (or more often two) 60-70 meter ropes all the time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

meet girls at the store posted:

This is dumb as hell, but the only thing dumber are the 5,000 google alerts I keep receiving for this story with headlines like "Couple Marries Atop Mt. Everest."

I mean, not what I'd do, tons of people do the hike to base camp (including people here) without climbing the mountain. So exchanging vows at base camp seems no big deal.

Now loving carrying a wedding dress and a tux does seem pretty dumb.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

gohuskies posted:

No, you just do multiple rappels from anchor point to anchor point. People do this all the time on multi-pitch routes - you set an anchor, rappel down to the next anchor point, build a new anchor there, pull down your rope, set up a new rappel, and so forth on down. It's a basic part of multi-pitch climbing, people rappel routes thousands of feet long with one (or more often two) 60-70 meter ropes all the time.

Oh I thought dude meant just rappelling down in one go not what you're describing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh I thought dude meant just rappelling down in one go not what you're describing.

All the more argument for a wingsuit...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Suspect Bucket posted:

All the more argument for a wingsuit...

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Tell that to Kurtz and Hinterstoisser. (Little Eiger joke for those in the know. :) )

Yes, obviously the ascent is usually the hard route and the decent easy(ier). EVerest is same there and back, which is doubles the bottleneck problem at the Hillary Step. Actually, come to think of it most Himalayan descent are the same route because of the use of camps. Even if you decide to descend more than one camp in a day you tend to go via the camps because they are the easier rout and you have supplies and shelter in case you need rest.

So, has no one ever done a 100% descent of the north face of the Eiger?

No one has ever downclimbed the Eiger north face, no. It's harder to climb downwards, and there's no prestige or sense of accomplishment in it since it's only used for retreating or descending from a summit. It's a good skill to practice as a climber, but no one that I've ever heard of does it on a larger scale as what you're suggesting.

E: Downclimbing is different from rappelling/abseiling where you slide down the rope, just to be clear.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm going to be the first person to rappel down Eiger with a 3,000 meter long rope.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm going to be the first person to murder someone by cutting their 3000 metre rope

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Anytime I've had to downclimb anything while scrambling, I've gotten vertigo. I avoid it except for when it's established routes that hundreds of people do each year. A few times I had to get my partner to point out footholds for me from below because my brain was too wigged out to figure it out on my own.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Scrolled through those three pages of smug faces hoping for a sherpa in the background looking disgusted. Disappointed.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Free-climbing an overhang in Spain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1P97VVt6_k

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
The Hillary Step is confirmed to have been reduced to rubble by the earthquake. Not clear at this stage what the impact will be on the queue of climbers attempting to summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39989992

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Underwater Shoe posted:

The Hillary Step is confirmed to have been reduced to rubble by the earthquake. Not clear at this stage what the impact will be on the queue of climbers attempting to summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39989992

Everest really is the mountain that just keeps giving.

Eta- I could almost imagine Hillary smiting his titular step from beyond the grave in disgust.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So this makes ascent easier?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Harder, on account of it's now unknown and also possibly more technical.

Silver lining, first ascents are an option.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Harder, on account of it's now unknown and also possibly more technical.

Silver lining, first ascents are an option.

Well, that was the case until the old ladder was in place. I imagine that as soon as sherpas get ladders and ropes in place it won't be too hard for amateurs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Geez, it really is just rubble now.

E: Context from the blog that labeled it, it may not be destroyed but it may just be so snow covered that people are misjudging it. tl;dr: if 4 is 4a, not much has changed. if 4 is 4b, it's gone.

http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2016/did-everests-hillary-step-collapse-in-the-nepal-earthquake/

It's not the first time the step has been super snowy

https://twitter.com/SnellArthur/status/734715393894457344

https://twitter.com/KentonCool/status/733572058467028992

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

shame the rest of the summit didn't crumble too, let k2 be the tallest mountain and it'll fix the bottleneck problems on the way to the top

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Those gaps might possibly make it trickier, and who knows if they're going to get new ladders up there this season. :suspense:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One dead, one missing.

quote:

An American climber has died near the summit of Mount Everest and an Indian climber is missing after heading down from the mountain following a successful ascent, expedition organizers said on Sunday.

Roland Yearwood, 50, from Georgiana, Alabama, died on the mountain on Sunday but other details were not immediately known, said Murari Sharma of the Everest Parivar Expedition agency, based in Kathmandu, Nepal’s capital.
Indian climber Ravi Kamar fell sick on his way down from the summit on Saturday and did not make it to the nearest camp, while his accompanying Nepalese Sherpa guide made it to a camp, said Thupden Sherpa of Arun Treks and Expedition.

The guide also fell sick, but he was able to drag himself to the last camp at South Col, located at 8,000 meters (26,247ft), Sherpa said, adding that the guide had frostbite and was hooked to oxygen bottles.

A rescue team of three Sherpas flew by helicopter to Camp 2, from where they were climbing up the mountain to help search for the missing climber.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

Anytime I've had to downclimb anything while scrambling, I've gotten vertigo. I avoid it except for when it's established routes that hundreds of people do each year. A few times I had to get my partner to point out footholds for me from below because my brain was too wigged out to figure it out on my own.

I developed a fear of heights from downclimbing at a bouldering gym. I made it to the top of the 20' wall on a new route that required you to climb up a portion of the wall that juts out. So, on the way down it was impossible to see the foothold beneath the part that sticks out. I couldn't find the foothold and I felt my heart start to race and sweat broke out across my entire body and I just froze. Couldn't move a muscle. It felt like I was much higher up than a few meters. My husband and friend could see the terror in my eyes and grabbed the owner who tried to coach me down but I couldn't move anything. I clung to the wall until my hands were so sweaty that I couldn't grip/my muscles gave out and I fell 15 feet onto my back. My muscles ached for days afterward from seizing up so tightly. I went back a few times after that but that experience kinda killed my excitement for bouldering (also the owner was a creepy sperg who shamed/lectured me in front of other customers for using a Groupon soo :byewhore:).

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
RIP the Hillary Step. Let it from here on out be known as the Norgay Ramp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Shitlord Slope.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Both of those pictures just make it look like it's covered in more snow than usual. All the big rocks look like they are in about the same place. But I suppose it's easier to judge in person.

At least one team made it past the Step, right?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Gripen5 posted:

Both of those pictures just make it look like it's covered in more snow than usual. All the big rocks look like they are in about the same place. But I suppose it's easier to judge in person.

At least one team made it past the Step, right?

Rock #1 fell well below #2

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Shriya Slope :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Slope is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian Canadian please..