Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

This is going to betray my newness, but I've been having a lot of trouble juggling the number of items doctors need to handle: medkit in one hand, health analyzer in the other, but the instant I need to put a syringe/bandage/powder in my hand, I need to drop something. Is this just a minor bit of clunk that you get over by getting more proficient at rapidly handing/unhanding stuff?

In medbay you can find medical belts that you can unload the contents of your medkit into for ease of access! You can keep your health analyzer in one of your pockets until you need to use it, too. Also, if you put a medkit in your backpack, you can open the medkit and take stuff out directly from it by opening your backpack and then dragging the medkit onto your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Omi no Kami posted:

This is going to betray my newness, but I've been having a lot of trouble juggling the number of items doctors need to handle: medkit in one hand, health analyzer in the other, but the instant I need to put a syringe/bandage/powder in my hand, I need to drop something. Is this just a minor bit of clunk that you get over by getting more proficient at rapidly handing/unhanding stuff?

Find patient, pull analyzer out of pocket or belt, scan, replace in pocket, pull medkit off table or out of backpack, click and drag from the kit to your character to open it up, pull out and apply medication with spare hand, bong bing bong practice from there

E: sniped by two minutes due to phone posting :argh:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Put your ID into your PDA and then put your PDA in your ID slot. It still works as a health analyzer, so it's like having a spare pocket just for that. Then you can use your pockets for epinephrine or something. Of course you might get PDA bombed but hey what's life without risk.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dmboogie posted:

In medbay you can find medical belts that you can unload the contents of your medkit into for ease of access! You can keep your health analyzer in one of your pockets until you need to use it, too. Also, if you put a medkit in your backpack, you can open the medkit and take stuff out directly from it by opening your backpack and then dragging the medkit onto your character.

Ooh knowing about the medical belts makes all the difference, thank you!

But wait, we have pockets?? Looking at , are we talking about the two things with the "shirt" icon to the left of the backpack? I think I've always ignored those slots because I spawn with something in 'em, I've been operating under the impression that your only storage is a backpack, your two hands, and/or a box held in one hand.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh knowing about the medical belts makes all the difference, thank you!

But wait, we have pockets?? Looking at , are we talking about the two things with the "shirt" icon to the left of the backpack? I think I've always ignored those slots because I spawn with something in 'em, I've been operating under the impression that your only storage is a backpack, your two hands, and/or a box held in one hand.

Yep. You can keep small items in them, which is especially helpful if you wanna say, keep a flash in them in case you get jumped.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Yep. You can keep small items in them, which is especially helpful if you wanna say, keep a flash in them in case you get jumped.

Thanks! That makes it way easier, I keep getting into this cycle of spreading out tons of useful tools around the floor, and that can't be sanitary (especially when playing as doctor, cook, or medical cook)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't worry about putting food on the floor as chef, the space ants only enhance the flavors.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Obvious observation: knowing how to use your pockets is a game changer as a human being.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I started the engine today! It made a whole 20kW. :downs: And then someone tried to kill me by opening the release valve of a plasma canister and flooding the hot loop room with plasma gas. I spent the rest of the round trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

Is there a way to fill the storage cart from the crucible room with space charcoal? I tried dragging it into the cart, nothing happened. I tried clicking on it, it just set it on top of the open cart. I'm sick of carrying it around.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh, was that why people with burn wounds kept running around? I was wondering about that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The plasma never escaped the hot loop airlock room thank god.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Some doctor tips:
  • Sutures are better than bandages and it might be worth scavenging one.
  • Likewise both styptic and sulfidazine work topically so medical patches are by far the best way to deliver them. White and red patches can be automatically applied to a person so you can heal them before they do something to stop you out of self-destructive spaceman paranoia.
  • Rarely you may find synthflesh patches among the medical supplies. These heal both brute and burn by tons and are as good as gold.
  • More sophisticated treatment is needed for obscure damage: Epinephrine halts shock and heart failure, Salbutamol can slow or stop oxygen loss, Mannitol I think cures brain damage, and charcoal flushes poisons. These are not topical so the best option is a hypospray to inject between 5-15 units as necessary. Hypos are all over medbay and hold 30 units so keep a container of something to refill. Like patches a hypo injects instantly. Instantly saves lives.
  • Carry an IV bag of Saline-Glucose or a pill of the same. It helps with shock, heals slightly over time, and replenishes lost blood. Too much can cause heart problems but you have to really overdo it.
  • Chemists can make a few wonder drugs if you ask nicely and they know how. Omnizine cures lots of stuff with a very small injection of 5 units. Perfluorodecalin basically arrests suffocation and prevents death for a short time. I forget the name but there's a poison antidote that works insanely fast but causes some damage, but the deadlier poisons warrant fast response as charcoal is slow. You don't need these things to doctor but if you can get them they're amazing.
  • If someone is dying and you aren't sure you have time to diagnose why, do the following: 15u of Epinephrine, give them a Salbutamol pill, apply one Styptic and one Sulfidazine patch, bandage or suture, then pause to use your health analyzer to see what's up. Once someone is relatively stable they shouldn't die on you before you can treat them unless they got a very nasty poison. Saline is a good thing to apply once you've dealt with the rest.
  • Cultivate a friendly personality and be active on comms. Make sure people know a doctor is out there ready to save lives. People will be less likely to succumb from critical if they trust you. And you CAN save people even from deep critical.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

A tip thats not immediately obvious: Boxes take up a set amount of space in your backpack, even if they are empty/have only one item in there.

If you're carrying around a single item in a box, its worthwhile taking it out and just shoving direct into the backpack. Or fill up your box.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someday i will play/admin again

good times with my friend Zoo Phil

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

someday i will play/admin again

good times with my friend Zoo Phil
i zoophil, ok?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
disassemble

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I started the engine today! It made a whole 20kW. :downs: And then someone tried to kill me by opening the release valve of a plasma canister and flooding the hot loop room with plasma gas. I spent the rest of the round trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

Is there a way to fill the storage cart from the crucible room with space charcoal? I tried dragging it into the cart, nothing happened. I tried clicking on it, it just set it on top of the open cart. I'm sick of carrying it around.

Air scrubbers can remove plasma and other toxic gases, but they take for-loving-ever. Air pumps can drain all the gases from an area, but they're not that fast either. Both can be hooked up to pipes the same way canisters can, and used to dump gases into the pipe system. Personally, I find that putting out engine fires isn't worthwhile - it takes pretty much the entire rest of the round to do it, and you have a decent chance of getting yourself killed if you're not careful.

The easiest way to put a pile of things into a cart or crate is to simply push the cart/crate onto the same tile as the pile of stuff, open it, and then close it. When you close the cart/crate, everything on the same tile will be sucked into it through the magic of BYOND. And on that note, you can fill the engine furnaces directly from a crate without having to open it - just click and drag the charcoal-filled crate onto the furnace, and an autoloader will kick in and remove enough coal from the crate to fill the furnace.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nakar posted:

Some doctor tips:
Chemists can make a few wonder drugs if you ask nicely and they know how. Omnizine cures lots of stuff with a very small injection of 5 units. Perfluorodecalin basically arrests suffocation and prevents death for a short time. I forget the name but there's a poison antidote that works insanely fast but causes some damage, but the deadlier poisons warrant fast response as charcoal is slow. You don't need these things to doctor but if you can get them they're amazing.

Unfortunately you can't make Omnizine anymore. You can only find it in donk pockets, spaghetti arabitta or in white weed canabis. It's also addictive so don't over use it if you do somehow get a source of it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Unfortunately you can't make Omnizine anymore. You can only find it in donk pockets, spaghetti arabitta or in white weed canabis. It's also addictive so don't over use it if you do somehow get a source of it.

Isn't it in glow fruit too?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
On the subject of doctoring, the cryo tubes are really, really good. If used properly, they heal all major types of damage at a rapid rate, automatically eject the occupant when they're done, and the treated patient will be slowed down for a moment so they can't run off before you put the finishing touches on. They won't do anything for syndromes or conditions, like shock or blood loss, but a dose of epinephrine will deal with the shock and most other problems can be treated at your leisure after the cryo-treatment.

Sleepers are also helpful. Not only are they a good way of sleeping off diseases and addictions, but an occupied sleeper can also be set (using the console on the left) to manually or automatically inject the occupant with basic healing chems. They're not as good as the cryo tubes, but they're a good way to deal with relatively simple cases without having to burn through Medbay's limited chem stocks.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

On the subject of doctoring, the cryo tubes are really, really good. If used properly, they heal all major types of damage at a rapid rate, automatically eject the occupant when they're done, and the treated patient will be slowed down for a moment so they can't run off before you put the finishing touches on. They won't do anything for syndromes or conditions, like shock or blood loss, but a dose of epinephrine will deal with the shock and most other problems can be treated at your leisure after the cryo-treatment.

Sleepers are also helpful. Not only are they a good way of sleeping off diseases and addictions, but an occupied sleeper can also be set (using the console on the left) to manually or automatically inject the occupant with basic healing chems. They're not as good as the cryo tubes, but they're a good way to deal with relatively simple cases without having to burn through Medbay's limited chem stocks.
Also a note about the sleepers if you are using them for yourself... hit 'rest' once you get inside or else you'll just be laying in it not actually recovering from anything, I've found.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You should slap styptic patches on people even if they are perfectly healthy, because it makes them scream :v:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

You should slap styptic patches on people even if they are perfectly healthy, because it makes them scream :v:

I wish there was one that made them fart :allears:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bozart posted:

Fill it with egg?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheDK posted:

Also a note about the sleepers if you are using them for yourself... hit 'rest' once you get inside or else you'll just be laying in it not actually recovering from anything, I've found.
Rest also cures a few minor diseases faster. If you have the sniffles or food poisoning you can sleep them off. Most things you'd want to be rid of can't be slept off though. Chicken soup from vending machines may also cure stuff, sometimes even serious stuff.

Major pathology diseases can have random cures so if it's at risk of death take every chem then eat everything in a vending machine. You may still die but there's a chance!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

When a vampire drinks blood, are they affected by any chems in the bloodstream? How about changelings eating people?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Isn't it in glow fruit too?

Yeah but that relies on finding seeds for it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

When a vampire drinks blood, are they affected by any chems in the bloodstream? How about changelings eating people?

Changelings aren't, otherwise they'd be effected by the neurotoxins and lsd they usually use to subdue victims, but vampires I'm not sure. I can't recall ever getting drunk from feeding off a passed out, barf covered crew member.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bozart posted:

Fill it with egg?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think so as otherwise you could drink holy water and bone any vampire antagonist. I think it just removes blood from them and gives blood to you each feeding tick.

Unrelated story: One time a pathology traitor managed to cook up gibbis, leading to mass chaos. I looked at the strain in the varedit menu and checked the random cure to see what could save you from it.

It was bacon.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Well, I'm pretty sure it's byond advertisement that just gave me malware, and might have been what gave me malware the last time. I don't think I'm ever going to play SS13 again until I figure out how to stop it from doing it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doctoring is fun and I get to make up my own medicines. Can't wait until the game makes me a traitor doctor and I can secretly inject targets with ammonia and sulfuric acid instead of epinephrine.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Doctoring is fun and I get to make up my own medicines. Can't wait until the game makes me a traitor doctor and I can secretly inject targets with ammonia and sulfuric acid instead of epinephrine.

Mercury, my friend.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SugarAddict posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's byond advertisement that just gave me malware, and might have been what gave me malware the last time. I don't think I'm ever going to play SS13 again until I figure out how to stop it from doing it.

why, pay for a byond membership of course :grin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am the worst traitor. I spawn in the middle of a round, run to a crawlspace and spawn a power sink. Realize I don't know how to use it. I think I need wire cutters so I go looking for them. Slip on blood, drop the power sink. Detective picks it up, figures out it's mine, hauls me off to jail while I impotently throw an unarmed pipe bomb at him.

I sit in a cell for the rest of the round until I die from a radiation storm because the detective died 20 minutes ago and there's nobody to let me out. Meanwhile, my power sink gets stolen by a guy holding the station hostage and the detective flips out because he realized forgot to crush it. I laugh at him.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

A hex editor can do wonders for you.

You can also step into the wonderful world of radare2 if you're really crazy determined.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am the worst traitor. I spawn in the middle of a round, run to a crawlspace and spawn a power sink. Realize I don't know how to use it. I think I need wire cutters so I go looking for them. Slip on blood, drop the power sink. Detective picks it up, figures out it's mine, hauls me off to jail while I impotently throw an unarmed pipe bomb at him.

I sit in a cell for the rest of the round until I die from a radiation storm because the detective died 20 minutes ago and there's nobody to let me out. Meanwhile, my power sink gets stolen by a guy holding the station hostage and the detective flips out because he realized forgot to crush it. I laugh at him.

For a power sink, I think you just need a screwdriver. In general, if you spawn a traitor item you can't use right away, it's often a better idea to hide it somewhere rather than carry it around, just so it doesn't give you away if you run into any kind of trouble. Hell, I've gotten out of actually being caught with stuff by just hiding it before sec caught me, playing innocent, and claiming the sole eyewitness was just trying to frame my.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Don't even spawn gear you can't pick up until you're ready to use it. A Power Sink or Port-A-Puke or whatever is way too conspicuous to haul around, so just wait and spawn it when you need it or are safe to use it.

The exception is Stealth Storages, which are probably the best traitor item in the game. They're essentially backpacks that fit in your pockets, can be changed to look like other items, and don't display when you take items in and out of them. You can spawn midsize to large items like Revolvers or the Spacker and shove them into Stealth Storages and just walk around like you own the place. Make it look like a pen or something and security might not even realize there's anything in it when they search you.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Pens are suspicious. Nobody carries one that isn't a sleepy pen or stealth storage. Make it some other item related to your job, like a hypospray for doctors or a wrench for literally anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Malpais Legate posted:

Pens are suspicious. Nobody carries one that isn't a sleepy pen or stealth storage. Make it some other item related to your job, like a hypospray for doctors or a wrench for literally anyone else.
Probably the best thing is if you spawn with [Yourname]'s [Relative]'s [Item]. Make the Stealth Storage copy your grandma's orange and nobody will look twice.