Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

"Playing songs by Mumford & Sons"

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

vulturesrow posted:

So maybe I'm taking the whole tool min-maxing thing too far but can anyone recommend a good tape measure? Mine disappeared during our move. I figure as much as I use it, it should be a good one, right?

A whole bunch of Stanley tapes in different sizes so that every time you put one down you can go back to your box and get another one, then clean up 6 of them in a scattered circle around where you were working?

Pro tip: I got a metric tape for all the random poo poo like shelves and frames and whatnot with pre-set hangers. Many (not all) of them are actually a sane number of cm apart and I don't have to try and measure 13 and 17/32nds while standing on my couch and trying to hold a level.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad Munki posted:

"Playing songs by Mumford & Sons"

"I really hosed it up this time..."
*screams*
"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that, could you repeat it please?"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

So maybe I'm taking the whole tool min-maxing thing too far but can anyone recommend a good tape measure? Mine disappeared during our move. I figure as much as I use it, it should be a good one, right?

A Stanley 20' in both imperial and metric.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

"I really hosed it up this time..."
*screams*
"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that, could you repeat it please?"

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Tape Chat!

Have 3 x 8m lufkin tapes scattered around the shed, they all work really well. Good blade locks and strong return springs.

2 x 5m tapes as well, one is in the car and the other sits in my desk drawer in the house. Amazing how often you need to measure something real quick. The 5m blade locks are pretty useless but the springs are good. The blades being narrower means it's a pain to measure long stuff by yourself but that's not how I use them very often.

I have one fastcap tape and I mostly like it. It's the lay flat model so it's useless for measuring things as it flops all over the place. Great for laying out stuff on a plywood sheet for cutting though. They have a pretty huge range too.

Want to love the Hultafors Talmeter but I just can't. It's a cool concept, having a tape that you can mark circles with plus do pipe diameters. In practice though the thing that sticks out the bottom of the tape and the body makes it impossible to quickly pull out the tape to take a measurment. The blade kinks easily too. Oh and the blade lock is reversed, so you have to hold it down to retract it. Probably ok if you're used to it but it just annoys me.

BMI 429 is a novelty tape, it extends itself out to 2m when you release it. Fun to play with but I've never used it in anger, think it's in the "silly purchases" box with the hultafors one .

Lastly there is the 30m Empire fibreglass tape. It's good for outside stuff. No complaints yet!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

vulturesrow posted:

If you ever work in metric, I read a review/watched a youtube of a bunch of different tape measures and this was one of the suggested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ELMS0OG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice

99% of the time I use the free 25' ones from harbor freight

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to tape measure talk, can't beat the classic Stanely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AlTvciSQ8

Something I learned from the video (well, one of the things, but one of the more interesting things):

A decent 1" wide tape measure will extend 7' without "breaking".
A 1 1/8"" wide measure (i.e. the Fat Max brand) will go 11 feet.

Just something to consider if you're thinking of getting one that's only .75" wide.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Gas-powered lawnmower talk: Honda vs. Briggs & Stratton motors? If I want to keep a lawnmower for 10+ years, should I just go buy a whole Honda mower, or is something like a Lawn Boy or Husqvarna with a Honda motor OK too?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Such a good video

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

VERTiG0 posted:

Gas-powered lawnmower talk: Honda vs. Briggs & Stratton motors? If I want to keep a lawnmower for 10+ years, should I just go buy a whole Honda mower, or is something like a Lawn Boy or Husqvarna with a Honda motor OK too?

I just researched this and chose Cub Cadet. If you want longevity, take care of the fuel with sta-bil and use seafoam.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm a Cub Cadet fan. I just went apeshit and bought a 26hp enduro xt2 w/ 54" fabricated deck though so I might be a little biased. But really, that was after looking at a poo poo ton of options. Personally, I think Husqvarna is great and all but for the same specs and no added quality over the Cub Cadet, you'll be paying an extra 15% over the matching CC. That holds true in both garden tractor and z-turn models. And of note, while it's not a z-turn and still just a conventional tractor style, that enduro can pretty much turn on a dime, it really is almost tractor levels of steering, I can juuuuuuust almost turn tight enough to keep the inside rear wheel from spinning, and that's true in both directions (usually you can turn a little tighter on the non-chute side of the deck.)

Briggs & Stratton are good motors, and are suuuuuuuper easy to find parts for. Haven't tried with Honda but I'm sure it's a comparable situation. For all practical purposes, I doubt you'll run into a situation where you wish you had one over the other.

What sort of mower, I assume you're looking at riders? Tractor or z-turn? How big of a lawn are you doing? Any other work you plan on doing with the mower, like grading, snow-blowing/plowing, hauling, etc?

e: Also, get yourself one of these, they're so good. Regular pin-based hook up, and you can throw a ball on the top, and it has hooks for a chain as well.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/good-vibrations-hitchin-post-3-way-hitchplate

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 19, 2017

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Definitely buy a Honda over anything else if you can. Husqvarna can't compete with them for walk behind mowers, just look at the things like the height adjusters and the handlebars side by side if you can. Honda uses a 1 piece handlebar that doesn't ever get loose, where Husqvarna uses a 2 piece design that will. Not to say the Husqvarna is bad, it's just not as good; typically the Honda is worth the $100-120 extra and every piece of the Honda is that more robust.

Briggs are ok, but like Husqvarna they're just ok. I'm not a fan, but they'll cut grass and have all the same fuel issues a Honda will.

If you buy a Lawn Boy and take it somewhere to be repaired, all of the technicians will judge you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of note, it looks like they're putting Kohlers in the Cub Cadets enduros, if you're looking at garden/lawn tractors. I honestly don't know how that stacks up against the other brands these days.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MrPete posted:

Tape Chat!

Have 3 x 8m lufkin tapes scattered around the shed, they all work really well. Good blade locks and strong return springs.

2 x 5m tapes as well, one is in the car and the other sits in my desk drawer in the house. Amazing how often you need to measure something real quick. The 5m blade locks are pretty useless but the springs are good. The blades being narrower means it's a pain to measure long stuff by yourself but that's not how I use them very often.

I have one fastcap tape and I mostly like it. It's the lay flat model so it's useless for measuring things as it flops all over the place. Great for laying out stuff on a plywood sheet for cutting though. They have a pretty huge range too.

Want to love the Hultafors Talmeter but I just can't. It's a cool concept, having a tape that you can mark circles with plus do pipe diameters. In practice though the thing that sticks out the bottom of the tape and the body makes it impossible to quickly pull out the tape to take a measurment. The blade kinks easily too. Oh and the blade lock is reversed, so you have to hold it down to retract it. Probably ok if you're used to it but it just annoys me.

BMI 429 is a novelty tape, it extends itself out to 2m when you release it. Fun to play with but I've never used it in anger, think it's in the "silly purchases" box with the hultafors one .

Lastly there is the 30m Empire fibreglass tape. It's good for outside stuff. No complaints yet!

On this, I've seen some woodworking blogs specifically recommend folding rules like this. Assuming you've already got a rigid straightedge for marking and whatnot, is there an obvious advantage/use case for these over a tape measure?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Something I learned from the video (well, one of the things, but one of the more interesting things):

A decent 1" wide tape measure will extend 7' without "breaking".
A 1 1/8"" wide measure (i.e. the Fat Max brand) will go 11 feet.

Just something to consider if you're thinking of getting one that's only .75" wide.

Stanleys used to be so fwiggen expensive that when I'd have the blade start to tear near the hook, I'd buy a cheapo and try to swap blades out. Usually failed.
Also what bugs me is dropping them always bends the hook and that throws off your measurement.
:bahgawd:

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Katosabi posted:

Definitely buy a Honda over anything else if you can. Husqvarna can't compete with them for walk behind mowers, just look at the things like the height adjusters and the handlebars side by side if you can. Honda uses a 1 piece handlebar that doesn't ever get loose, where Husqvarna uses a 2 piece design that will. Not to say the Husqvarna is bad, it's just not as good; typically the Honda is worth the $100-120 extra and every piece of the Honda is that more robust.

Briggs are ok, but like Husqvarna they're just ok. I'm not a fan, but they'll cut grass and have all the same fuel issues a Honda will.

If you buy a Lawn Boy and take it somewhere to be repaired, all of the technicians will judge you.

I've loved my Honda so far. Aside from the motor that seems pretty bulletproof (I do nothing but change the oil once per year- forgot to put in stabilizer last fall and it didn't matter) and the one piece handle which is actually at a height that us tall guys can use, the deck is aluminum so it won't pit and rust like my old Toro did if you don't clean it after a wet mow.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Recommendations on Scrollsaws for sub $500?

I have a Delta SS200 which has worked well for the random projects I make on the scroll saw, but not having a Blade Wrench (and not being able to buy one the last three years) has finally got me to the breaking point for an upgrade. I have many Dutchman 5inch pinless blades and would love to keep using them (but if not its not the end of the world). I am by no means a professional scroller, just a hobbyist mostly making Christmas decorations and ATATs.

I have no complaints about the Delta SS200, other than the pain to dismount a blade without the wrench.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I think you can get a Dewalt DW788 for right at that. It seems to be the most recommended for serious scrolling before you jump up to the really expensive saws.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Do router bit sets regularly go on sale around Father's Day? Mine went on a vacation to my brothers house and aren't coming back. I just got a nice older porter cable plunge router and table for 30 bucks so I could use a new set.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Regarding mower chat, one only ever had basic ones that essentially never die, so long as you clean the carburator out once in a while and change the oil. Hell my current one came free with the house because it was broken and they 'forgot' to dispose of it. Nothing actually wrong with it except a clogged air filter and carb jet.

However if kind of like to get a modern one with fancy features like a blade brake clutch ( ...so that I can stop using my safety-defeat zip tie to keep the engine running when I walk away) but I worry that this is just a bunch of extra poo poo that can break.

It seems like there is a lot of focus on the engine failing, but, does that really ever happen? For most of my life I've used old-rear end gas yard tools, and generally the engine isn't what gives out. Pretty sure I ran a bunch of literal sand and dirt through the air intake of a Honda rototiller when the filter housing just fell off... It's fine. So are engines worse these days, or do we just tend to focus on them as the "expensive" part? I want to know who makes good wheels, axels, drive mechanisms, levers, and clutches. Seems harder to find info on this stuff.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Katosabi posted:

Ok I'll bite. I have a lawn-boy. I've never taken it anywhere but why would the techs judge me?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
I'm not sure if this really counts as a tool, but I'm looking for a fairly specific phone app to use at my job fabricating curtainwall. I often have to do basic math on lots of imperial measurements, but using a regular calculator I not only have to remember the decimal equivalents of each 16th, I also have to type them all in (~5 extra keystrokes). What I'd ideally need is a 4-function calculator, with a separate button for each 16th, that also outputs fractions, and that doesn't convert up to feet. I've done some searching but so far I haven't found anything matching my requirements. Any suggestions?

edit:Something like this, which is the interface for my saw stop
https://goo.gl/images/7BirYb

Fizbin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 20, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

fastbilly1 posted:

Recommendations on Scrollsaws for sub $500?

I have a Delta SS200 which has worked well for the random projects I make on the scroll saw, but not having a Blade Wrench (and not being able to buy one the last three years) has finally got me to the breaking point for an upgrade. I have many Dutchman 5inch pinless blades and would love to keep using them (but if not its not the end of the world). I am by no means a professional scroller, just a hobbyist mostly making Christmas decorations and ATATs.

I have no complaints about the Delta SS200, other than the pain to dismount a blade without the wrench.

Assuming you can't find one anywhere, you can't get a machine shop to fabricate a wrench?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fizbin posted:

I'm not sure if this really counts as a tool, but I'm looking for a fairly specific phone app to use at my job fabricating curtainwall. I often have to do basic math on lots of imperial measurements, but using a regular calculator I not only have to remember the decimal equivalents of each 16th, I also have to type them all in (~5 extra keystrokes). What I'd ideally need is a 4-function calculator, with a separate button for each 16th, that also outputs fractions, and that doesn't convert up to feet. I've done some searching but so far I haven't found anything matching my requirements. Any suggestions?

Its not an app, but this calculator handles fractions quite well. Lets you convert between fraction/decimal and has unit imperial/metric conversion too if you want to get fancy. I used it all the time in math class:
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-fx-115ES-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B007W7SGLO/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Fizbin posted:

The fraction calculator in this app seems to meet your requirements:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inturi.net.android.TimberAndLumberCalc&hl=en

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Raised by Hamsters posted:

It seems like there is a lot of focus on the engine failing, but, does that really ever happen? For most of my life I've used old-rear end gas yard tools, and generally the engine isn't what gives out. Pretty sure I ran a bunch of literal sand and dirt through the air intake of a Honda rototiller when the filter housing just fell off... It's fine. So are engines worse these days, or do we just tend to focus on them as the "expensive" part? I want to know who makes good wheels, axels, drive mechanisms, levers, and clutches. Seems harder to find info on this stuff.

This is exactly what I was getting at, all of Honda's components are superior to any of the competition. They've gotten cheaper with transmissions the last few years, but at least it's still an aluminum housing, most everyone else uses plastic. The only issue is they start at $419 for a non-blade brake, self propel model. The only issues I've seen with blade brake clutches on consumer Honda was 5+ years ago with the handlebar engagement mechanism, it has been redesigned and worked flawlessly since. The company as a whole stands behind what they make. I know I sound like a total corporate shill, but you really have to go look at the differences side by side with another brand.

Husqvarna, well.... I haven't actually warrantied any walk behind mower stuff in a while because we try not to sell them. However, for an example of how they operate, Husqvarna insists on using these Chinese bearing idlers on all of their riding mowers, even the $3500 models. These bearings don't tend to last very long, and then the idler locks up, makes a flat spot, frees up, then makes a ton of noise/destroy the belt. This is completely unacceptable for a mower with 50 hours on it when they could've spent $1-2 more per idler and had a functional part. This doesn't happen on all of them, but I replace probably 50+ idlers per year, and we don't work on that many tractors. This has been a problem for years, and I continue to warranty the idlers that I can.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Ok I'll bite. I have a lawn-boy. I've never taken it anywhere but why would the techs judge me?

This was mostly a joke, it's just Lawn Boy is one of those brands we rarely see (West coast, elsewhere may be different). Every time one appears you're like "where in the world did someone buy this?" because you never see them for sale.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Hubis posted:

On this, I've seen some woodworking blogs specifically recommend folding rules like this. Assuming you've already got a rigid straightedge for marking and whatnot, is there an obvious advantage/use case for these over a tape measure?
No idea really. I have one of those floating around that my dad gave me. Old school carpenters used them heaps.

I know some models have an extendo bit in the end, so you can take a measurement of the inside of a box or cabinet carcase easily. Maybe it's just personal preference?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Fizbin posted:

I know you asked for a phone app, but they make specialized construction estimation calculators for use with imperial units and fractions.

link

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Uncle Enzo posted:

I know you asked for a phone app, but they make specialized construction estimation calculators for use with imperial units and fractions.

link

The problem is none of these seem to actually have the main thing I'm looking for- a fast way to input fractions.

I use an automatic saw stop for measuring cuts, where if I want to set it to 53 13/16, I can hit 5-3-(13/16), which is 3 buttons. On a standard calculator, I'd have to hit 5-3-+-1-3-/-1-6 (8 buttons)or 5-3-.-8-1-2-5 (7 buttons), and it gets worse if I'm trying to do multiple functions, e.g. (53 13/16)x3+(42 3/4)x4.

Construction and scientific calculators allow you to do a whole lot of complicated things, which is useful, but what I'm trying to do is just make one basic thing quicker and more convenient.

The closest I've come so far is this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=evanwinograd.archcalc&hl=en
which has buttons for each 1/8", but it's awkward in other ways and doesn't do the 1/16"s.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fizbin posted:

We really need to convert to metric. I won't miss doing /16 math. I feel like I spend a lot of time rechecking my calculations doing imperial vs metric.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fizbin posted:

The problem is none of these seem to actually have the main thing I'm looking for- a fast way to input fractions.

I use an automatic saw stop for measuring cuts, where if I want to set it to 53 13/16, I can hit 5-3-(13/16), which is 3 buttons. On a standard calculator, I'd have to hit 5-3-+-1-3-/-1-6 (8 buttons)or 5-3-.-8-1-2-5 (7 buttons), and it gets worse if I'm trying to do multiple functions, e.g. (53 13/16)x3+(42 3/4)x4.

Construction and scientific calculators allow you to do a whole lot of complicated things, which is useful, but what I'm trying to do is just make one basic thing quicker and more convenient.

which has buttons for each 1/8", but it's awkward in other ways and doesn't do the 1/16"s.

I think the amount of time you have already dedicated to solving this problem is longer than the time you would save by pushing 3 buttons instead of 8 for the rest of your life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fizbin posted:

IMO clearly you don't have to do this with "lots" of measurements or you'd have developed the ability to do it like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOjnpOyUzS0

e: being less facetious, this seems like maybe a reasonable request in the custom tiny app thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898 but it hasn't been very active in a while. Or you could download Android Studio and get to work!

Zahgaegun posted:

We really need to convert to metric. I won't miss doing /16 math. I feel like I spend a lot of time rechecking my calculations doing imperial vs metric.

I keep all of my measuring tools in dual metric/decimal-inch units and refuse all others. gently caress fractions. Go away.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 20, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fizbin posted:

It wouldn’t be hard to whip up a spreadsheet for this.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I just bought a jigsaw to use mostly with my router/jigsaw table and the idea popped into my head "what if you tried the same with a recip saw?"

It's loving horrify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD546IVDz2Q

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a wet-dry vac?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Get a cyclone so you arent constantly changing vac bags. They are cheap as, and pay for themselves drat quick.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Craftsman XPS 12 gallon. It is the most powerful one on the market for under $100. Sometimes it is on sale for $80. Get there before Sears goes out of business.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

Assuming you can't find one anywhere, you can't get a machine shop to fabricate a wrench?
I spoke to the owner of the machine shop that I have contracted in the past and he said it would cost me $100-200ish. So I figured that I should research buying a new device aswell to weigh my options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

fastbilly1 posted:

I spoke to the owner of the machine shop that I have contracted in the past and he said it would cost me $100-200ish. So I figured that I should research buying a new device aswell to weigh my options.

You know I was going to PM you that evening because I looked on ebay and there was that same scroll saw, wrench, paperwork, everything going for 50 with 8 hours remaining. Of course shipping was near double that......

edit- but you don't have PM's so