Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

thetvdb is terrible. I like to mention it every once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thermopyle posted:

thetvdb is terrible. I like to mention it every once in awhile.

I feel like this needs to go in the OP of anything dealing with that site.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Probably Cat. Dog has a cockamamie way to donate and not worth your time.

I've tried searching on Cat numerous times but I can never seem to find what I'm looking for. There are always WAAAAY fewer search results on Cat than on Dog.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Honestly I mostly use cat and nzbnoob. There's a lot of weird poo poo on nzbnoob, especially older stuff.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone with gigabit want to share their provider and their speeds? I'm only using 10 of my 20 astraweb connections right now so should probably open it all up first, but max I've seen on this new connection is about 12MB/s. Usually only around 6MB/s though.

I've got gbit and just don't care. I use usenet.farm because I like them. On my little risc powered NAS I get ~6MB/s.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ILikeVoltron posted:

I've got gbit and just don't care. I use usenet.farm because I like them. On my little risc powered NAS I get ~6MB/s.

I don't have gbit but I feel the same. Usenet download speed matters little above a certain threshold when it's all automated anyway.

Stuff just appears on my server.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the point of having gigabit then? Don't need the speed for anything else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

What's the point of having gigabit then? Don't need the speed for anything else.

No idea.

I actually downgraded from 100mbit to 60mbit a few years ago because of this exact reason.

Then shortly after Charter upgraded me to 120mbit at no additional charge. The bastards.

Though, I would actually like way higher than the 5mbit upload they give us. It's poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

Excess capacity allows you to have these automatic downloads happen and not interfere with anything. Simultaneous users.

If you live alone and don't mind micromanaging your downloads it doesn't matter, but if you live with a few other people who like to play games, use VoIP, watch 4K Netflix/Amazon, etc. it's nice to have the headroom to allow all these things to happen at once with no one noticing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolrah posted:

Excess capacity allows you to have these automatic downloads happen and not interfere with anything. Simultaneous users.

If you live alone and don't mind micromanaging your downloads it doesn't matter, but if you live with a few other people who like to play games, use VoIP, watch 4K Netflix/Amazon, etc. it's nice to have the headroom to allow all these things to happen at once with no one noticing.

Oh yeah, that's a good point.

eames
May 9, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have gbit but I feel the same. Usenet download speed matters little above a certain threshold when it's all automated anyway.

Stuff just appears on my server.

Thermopyle posted:

No idea.

I actually downgraded from 100mbit to 60mbit a few years ago because of this exact reason.

Then shortly after Charter upgraded me to 120mbit at no additional charge. The bastards.

Though, I would actually like way higher than the 5mbit upload they give us. It's poo poo.

Oh that's reassuring to hear, so it's not just me getting old. Voluntarily downgrading my bandwidth felt like I'm betraying my 15 year old self who obsessed over every single kb/s many years ago.
4K Youtube is about the most bandwidth intensive thing I use these days, any automated stuff is scheduled to run over night and pfSense QoS takes care of the rest.

I'd strongly prefer symmetric 30 Mbit over my current 100/10. :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eames posted:

I'd strongly prefer symmetric 30 Mbit over my current 100/10. :smith:

I don't think I'd go that far but I definitely agree that I'd rather increase my upload rather than my download at this point. My service plan has been upgraded from 50/5 up to 250/25 in the time I've had it and I stopped noticing the download speed increases in my day to day use after 100mbit/sec. The upload increases however have always been immediately apparent the first time I go to upload something larger than an image.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I don't think I'll downgrade because the next level down is 100 for $60 with a monthly cap rather than 1000 for $80 with no cap. I want fast as possible downloads for when something of course fails to download or is corrupt and I don't realize it until my dinner is hot and I've just sat down on the couch. Want to be able to get up, redownload, sit back down and have it be ready to watch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I don't think I'll downgrade because the next level down is 100 for $60 with a monthly cap rather than 1000 for $80 with no cap. I want fast as possible downloads for when something of course fails to download or is corrupt and I don't realize it until my dinner is hot and I've just sat down on the couch. Want to be able to get up, redownload, sit back down and have it be ready to watch.

Your downloading tool like Sonarr should automatically redownload it for you.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Irritated Goat posted:

My Cat trial is up. Is it worth going with Cat, Dog, or someone else since I'll probably need to "donate".

I like dog, but I have enough tshirts, and gently caress bitcoin. My primary is nzb.su which is decent backed up with cat - I can give you an invite if you need.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone with gigabit want to share their provider and their speeds? I'm only using 10 of my 20 astraweb connections right now so should probably open it all up first, but max I've seen on this new connection is about 12MB/s. Usually only around 6MB/s though.

Supernews and Newsgroup Ninja both set as priority zero (splits dl between both I guess), 20 connections on each.

Highest I've seen is around that speed. I tried NZBget but it still was around the same speed.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The only thing I miss from Sickbeard is paused shows still appearing in the calendar.

Is this in reference to Sonarr? Paused (Unwatched) stuff shows in the calendar if you click the circle in the upper right corner.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

porktree posted:

I like dog, but I have enough tshirts, and gently caress bitcoin. My primary is nzb.su which is decent backed up with cat - I can give you an invite if you need.

Did dog get rid of the amazon gift card option? That was always the easiest.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Surely theres a post somewhere in this thread where someone explained what cats, dogs, and tshirts are?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cage posted:

Surely theres a post somewhere in this thread where someone explained what cats, dogs, and tshirts are?

there's two indexers, dognzb and catznb.

dognzb has been around for a while and you can pay for vip, but you can't just pay for it (something to do with their processor), you have to buy a t-shirt instead. you can also buy the t-shirt and select the "don't send me a t-shirt" option.

catnzb is newer and it's name is a play off of dobnzb. they don't have a t-shirt option.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

porktree posted:

I've got an account if it hasn't been deleted. I'll go check when I get home. Thanks though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Your downloading tool like Sonarr should automatically redownload it for you.

I still occasionally have a file that is corrupt in some way despite it coming from sonarr.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Supernews and Newsgroup Ninja both set as priority zero (splits dl between both I guess), 20 connections on each.

Highest I've seen is around that speed. I tried NZBget but it still was around the same speed.

I looked at a bunch of reddit posts and it seems like Supernews (Giganew specifically but pricier) and Newsgroup Ninja are the fastest. I've never heard much about ninja before this, but pretty cool if they're fast since it's so cheap. Also heard about downloading from two at once, but I don't think I'll want to pay for that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MeKeV posted:

Is this in reference to Sonarr? Paused (Unwatched) stuff shows in the calendar if you click the circle in the upper right corner.
Dunno when they was added but it is a good feature.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What provider do you use?

Also, with Astraweb I have US as priority 0 and EU as priority 1. I also have 20 connections. Does that mean they share the 20?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KingKapalone posted:

For me, it's the same price as cable. I started out at it costing uhh, $65 and I think they bumped it to $69. It's symmetrical. You ever download a game from steam at 80+ MB/s? It's really nice hahah.

And yea, just like lots of other people have said, it's not all about high speed on usenet. Having 10ms ping to game servers and high upload speeds are nice. I don't notice my internet being slow while I'm downloading from usenet either, in fact I harder ever notice even a slight blimp in my internet speeds and I'm quite sensitive to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

No idea.

Coincidentally I just heard a rumor that Charter is going to be raising 100mbit packages around here to 300 mbit...and leaving upload at 5mbit. :/

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Thermopyle posted:

Coincidentally I just heard a rumor that Charter is going to be raising 100mbit packages around here to 300 mbit...and leaving upload at 5mbit. :/

lol, you're not allowed to generate content, only consume it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ILikeVoltron posted:

lol, you're not allowed to generate content, only consume it.

That's a consequence of how the spectrum is assigned and used on the cable modem system. The upload stream is from 5-42mhz or thereabouts, but the download stream is from 88Mhz to 860Mhz. Uploads are on a rotating time window system, every X ms, you get Yms of uploading, no matter if you use it or not. This obviously limits exactly how much data you can upload, but based on the spectrum ratios, most people see a 8:1 to 15:1 download/upload ratio.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's a consequence of how the spectrum is assigned and used on the cable modem system. The upload stream is from 5-42mhz or thereabouts, but the download stream is from 88Mhz to 860Mhz. Uploads are on a rotating time window system, every X ms, you get Yms of uploading, no matter if you use it or not. This obviously limits exactly how much data you can upload, but based on the spectrum ratios, most people see a 8:1 to 15:1 download/upload ratio.

Cool.

Still should bump my upload tho

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Yeah, a typical cable network has between 600MHz and 1.2GHz of bandwidth. A single channel is 6 MHz wide in NTSC territories and 8 MHz wide in PAL/DVB-C territories. That means somewhere between 100 and 200 channels are available, which deliver 43 (DOCSIS) or 56 (EuroDOCSIS) megabits per second of capacity each but also have to be shared with television service. Analog channels take up a full 6/8MHz, digital systems usually see 2-6 streams per physical channel.

It's a chicken and egg problem to a large extent, since the channels are limited and most users download more than they upload the cable companies allocate more channels to download.

DOCSIS 3.1 has an extension announced a year or so ago that allows the full bandwidth of the cable to be used in either direction as needed, so once that starts rolling out we can finally see symmetric performance on cable networks.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wolrah posted:

DOCSIS 3.1 has an extension announced a year or so ago that allows the full bandwidth of the cable to be used in either direction as needed, so once that starts rolling out we can finally see symmetric performance on cable networks.

Yeah, that's gonna be amazing once it starts rolling out.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
PSA - Dog is offering a 'free' extra year of VIP if re-up, or sign up. So basically, $30 get's you 2 years and a tshirt. Lasts until Wedn the 24th of May.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah, that's gonna be amazing once it starts rolling out.

I'm assuming almost zero ISPs will give you symmetrical bandwidth.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

porksmash posted:

I'm assuming almost zero ISPs will give you symmetrical bandwidth.

Yep, doesn't it screw with their peering agreements when users start uploading too much content?

Also, please correct me on this but cable networks have been switching to digitial networks in the sense that their analog content (those things that the above poster talked about taking a full 8Mhz of spectrum) have largely been replaced by a multicast streams to the set top box that is then decoded. At least that's how it worked at the ISP I worked at years and years ago.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

porktree posted:

PSA - Dog is offering a 'free' extra year of VIP if re-up, or sign up. So basically, $30 get's you 2 years and a tshirt. Lasts until Wedn the 24th of May.

I'm still on nzb.su, would it be worth it to switch to dognzb? Haven't paid a lot of attention to usenet topics in the last two years, since it was pretty much a carefree working system for me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm still on nzb.su, would it be worth it to switch to dognzb? Haven't paid a lot of attention to usenet topics in the last two years, since it was pretty much a carefree working system for me.

It's always worth having backup indexers. Dog is pretty good, and that's a pretty good price.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use 8 different indexers.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have 7 VIP accounts and another 3 accounts registered but not VIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
On recommendation of another poster here with gigabit fiber, I bought a month of Newsgroup Ninja to go along with my Thundernews and countless block accounts.

Put Ninja and Thunder as priority 0, everything else 1.

Still can't crack the ~40 mb/s i got with just my regular old blocks.

Is it possible SSL can slow down?

Also what does "send group request" or whatever for server settings mean? I don't remember that option..