Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

I think Lynch himself would love this take on his "art" because you wouldn't know whether he actually agrees with it or not but you'd sure as gently caress argue about it ad nauseum further adding to the mystique of a man who produces completely amateurish dogshit and markets it as nuanced genius.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't feed the troll, kids.

I feel like if we feed them enough coffee and donuts, they'll come around.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Calling James cool was another great troll in a long line of them by David Lynch

Fan service in the form of a giant middle finger to all the haters. :lol:

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

spudsbuckley posted:

Are you seriously that butthurt over this that you went post history researching?

This season is just loving awful TV so far, just utter twaddle. I don't give a poo poo about Lynch one way or the other but the reaction of this thread is bewildering. Are you all that blinded by "having" to like him that you can't see how utterly loving shite this all is?

You'll never guess how we feel about the show because your idea of fun is swearing at a dead website.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
I think the genius part of it is that while all the really odd Lynchian stuff is going on the key thematically is in the more conventional throwaway standard TV parts. Lucy is so concerned about what is going on with the thermostat when they're not there. Lucy doesn't understand mobile phones. What happens when they're not there for 25 years is you don't get to experience or understand mobile phones. I never really thought about what makes Lynch's directorial style so menacing. It's just the patience. Longer than average set up shots or long shots of a hallway with a single figure walking towards the camera. The impression that absent the director that shot goes on indefinitely. It's the totality of the empty space when it's not being observed. On a long enough timeline something is going to happen everywhere so the entirety of the direction is exhausting because while there may never be a jump scare, you're always braced for it. Similarly, if you watched the same public space long enough there would be comedy, tragedy, romance, etc. It's incredibly voyeuristic and goes some way to explaining the tonal shift in the original series. In the same way Lucy wants to know what happens to the thermostat when she's not experiencing it directly, the audience wants to know what happened to all the characters regardless of the tone of that part of the narrative. Paralleling that with the constantly recorded glass box, where the observers are only punished when they look away.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Thread bad

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really wasn't on board at all until towards the end of Episode 3, I think it's mostly cause the lodge stuff just seemed to drag on forever and it's just not that interesting to me since I had no drat clue what the gently caress was going on.

Feels like it's going to get better the more it goes on though so... I'm in!

More amnesia Coop please... though I'm pretty sure he just snapped back into his old self after he drank that coffee.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

completely amateurish dogshit

just get out of the thread bud, what's the point?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ZeeBoi posted:

Thread bad
spudsbuckley bad

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

vivisectvnv posted:

just get out of the thread bud, what's the point?

Because he simply has to Frank Grimes up this thread that's why.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Sheryl Lee is still the best screamer on the planet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

🍩
Disturb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Lynch really think that they would let him make two more Twin Peaks movies after Fire Walk With Me? Has his interest in a project ever lasted that long, the new series notwithstanding? I guess he spent a while with Mulholland Drive.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

Did Lynch really think that they would let him make two more Twin Peaks movies after Fire Walk With Me? Has his interest in a project ever lasted that long, the new series notwithstanding? I guess he spent a while with Mulholland Drive.

Ronnie Rocket
One Saliva Bubble

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like how tangential the series feels, like there's a million potential Twin Peaks episodes in all the small details, of which there are many. For example it wouldn't surprise me if the story in the police station about the kid ODing at school doesn't get brought up again but that's really interesting imo. There's no sense that digression is important, that narrative 'waste' is OK in most TV (and the form of film doesn't permit this), unlike in a big ambitious novel, where you might have an abundance of detail, some of which may hit you, some of which won't. In this sense Lynch is really using the extra hours to his advantage. You get the sense of Twin Peaks as the map of a far larger territory if that makes sense. I think the last show to make me feel that is probably The Wire, oddly enough. This is the best

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM

Ehhhhh, I would disagree with this. The tone of FWWM is mostly just sad. Watching Laura go through her last days of life and seeing how lost she was is heartbreaking. There's some surreal poo poo in there, sure (just like in TP proper, for the record), but that's not a bad thing; it adds more to the mythos of the Black Lodge and elaborates on what's actually going on. The fact that Lynch doesn't spoon-feed the answers in a digestible way isn't a failure of the film, because it provides plenty of hints and and outright connections for the audience to make. The series has always reveled in symbolism, and FWWM is no exception. The revival (so far) is much the same in this regard, though the tone is more of a neutral zone between the goofier parts of the original and the emotional heights of FWWM.

quote:

insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over

I may come off a bit rude here, but maybe you should just try harder to understand what's going on? There's plenty to chew on and figure out how it all fits together. It's not crazy for the sake of crazy - there's an internal logic to it that matches the original series and FWWM.

quote:

whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

Wait, so he's capitalizing off nostalgia by making something that has minimal nostalgia in it? If he wanted to make bank off nostalgia, for one, he wouldn't be doing hour-long episodes or a limited 18-episode run. There would be no announced end point, there would be minimal new characters, and he could have absurd references and jokes like Cooper having a really big coffee mug or Shelly and Bobby being married and having a pet named "Leo" or any number of stupid poo poo you would see in a heartless cash-in of a beloved series.

quote:

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time

He's just a nice midwestern dude who likes making beautiful, surreal art. Adam Sandler, he ain't.

quote:

and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

Call me Rube Goldberg, then, because I can't wait for June 4th.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ElectricWizard posted:

I blew through the four episodes, and they somehow exceeded my high expectations. I'm a little confused by Jaques Renault manning the bar though. I think the credits even confirmed that it was him.

The credits list Walter Olkewicz as playing Jean-Micheal Renault.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

spudsbuckley posted:

Are you seriously that butthurt over this that you went post history researching?
No, your avatar is wrestling related and your username is O&A related.

spudsbuckley posted:

I think Lynch himself would love this take on his "art" because you wouldn't know whether he actually agrees with it or not but you'd sure as gently caress argue about it ad nauseum further adding to the mystique of a man who produces completely amateurish dogshit and markets it as nuanced genius.
But would he "laugh all the way to the bank"?

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 22, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean, with every scene in Twin Peaks so far there's been an underlying sadness, even if it's just Hawk answering Maragret's phone call like he probably has evey single night since Coop went missing 25ish years ago.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

LostRook posted:

The credits list Walter Olkewicz as playing Jean-Micheal Renault.

Lynch loves his doppelgangers!

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I like it. It's a thing I watched that made me feel a large array of emotions and made me think really expansive thoughts. I was getting a bit worried during the first hour but the subsequent hours were really good. The third one was really nice.

I liked how I had built up this thing in my mind based on nostalgia and then went through a period of a few weeks where a bunch of disparate stuff purposefully fueled that nostalgia, leading me to be in an elevated mood state when the thing finally happened and I could watch it. This was a good period of my life, albeit one that I may not remember for a long time but was far better than the fortnight I had six weeks ago when I accidentally fell through a glass door whilst holding my cat, who now is a vastly different animal.

The Red Room room scenes where uncomfortable at first as adding on top of a mythology which has a Facebook group that does memes with it seems like it's treading too heavy on stuff that people are really into, but I think there will be new memes and that will make a lot of people happy for really succinct periods of time. I liked how Madchen Amick said stuff about how James was amazing because nobody said he was amazing in the original series apart from Donna who had problems with real life actresses and then injected silly putty into her lips and got her tits out in really stupid films about cornflakes. People don't like her and I can see why.

Psycho Dale Cooper is a really weird concept for me to get my head around but that's fine as we couldn't just be chasing after BOB in TYOOL 2017 because he genuinely died from AIDS complications. I liked the bit with the spade spraying and holy poo poo I hope that box in New York gets its own spinoff series like Better Call Saul.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, with every scene in Twin Peaks so far there's been an underlying sadness, even if it's just Hawk answering Maragret's phone call like he probably has evey single night since Coop went missing 25ish years ago.

I'm not saying there are no sad scenes, just that it doesn't feel sad through so much of it like FWWM does. There are a few scenes, like this one, as well as Bobby noticing Laura's picture and falling apart all over again, but largely the first four eps of this series haven't been feeling that way. To me, anyway. Perhaps they'll take on that feeling as the show goes on.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Modrasone posted:

Psycho Dale Cooper is a really weird concept for me to get my head around but that's fine as we couldn't just be chasing after BOB in TYOOL 2017 because he genuinely died from AIDS complications. I liked the bit with the spade spraying and holy poo poo I hope that box in New York gets its own spinoff series like Better Call Saul.

It totally is BOB inside of Coop, for the record. He even grew out his hair to match the look! It's just that his original actor being dead means they can't really show the trippy imagery of switching between Coop's body and BOB's visage like they did with characters before. Think of it like Leland throughout pretty much all of TP and FWWM, but actively doing awful things all the time rather than trying to hide the awful things.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm not saying there are no sad scenes, just that it doesn't feel sad through so much of it like FWWM does. There are a few scenes, like this one, as well as Bobby noticing Laura's picture and falling apart all over again, but largely the first four eps of this series haven't been feeling that way. To me, anyway. Perhaps they'll take on that feeling as the show goes on.

I meant scenes literally set in Twin Peaks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hope there was some unused footage of Frank Silva that can be worked into this.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.
I'm not 100% sure Bob is in Bad Cooper. When Bob plays, he is hyperactive and cartoonish. Everything Cooper does is cold and measured. Bob likes knives and bludgeons. Cooper shoots people. Bob hides in respectable folk. Cooper is not respectable folk. Bob kills and abuses for fun. Cooper is enacting some sort of plan or program. Even if Bob is in there, I think Cooper's doppelganger has been driving.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I meant scenes literally set in Twin Peaks.

Ohhhhh, okay. You can probably see where my confusion comes from! Still not sure I quite agree with that, but hey.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Nothus Infelix posted:

I'm not 100% sure Bob is in Bad Cooper. When Bob plays, he is hyperactive and cartoonish. Everything Cooper does is cold and measured. Bob likes knives and bludgeons. Cooper shoots people. Bob hides in respectable folk. Cooper is not respectable folk. Bob kills and abuses for fun. Cooper is enacting some sort of plan or program. Even if Bob is in there, I think Cooper's doppelganger has been driving.

I don't think there's enough info about BOB from the series to justify laying out rules for how he acts. He's only been shown to inhabit one person before, and that was Leland. He tried to transfer to young women multiple times, and failed with each, resorting to killing them.

Whatever Bad Coop is, he likely created a decoy, Dougie, as part of a plan to avoid being pulled back into the Black Lodge when the time was supposed to come: 25 years after his escape, at what ended up being 2:53 pm. To me, that speaks of someone who is intimately familiar with the rules of the Black Lodge and how to manipulate things within it. Dale has no idea how to do any of that.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Nothus Infelix posted:

In the 2nd episode from last night, they seemed to make it a point to show the clip of the S2 finale of Cooper's evil-eyed doppleganger laughing with Bob, and then Bad Cooper chasing Good Cooper through the rooms. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're retconning it or anything, but it looks like they're not going for "Frank Silva Bob" being Bad Cooper.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Lynch has been watching too many memes. Couldn't help but think of this when watching, so I made the dumb thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drz6MNUigMU

This season is better than I dreamed of so far. It's so surreal it's actually finally here and happening. It's been so long and it feels so right. Really hope it doesn't take too long for "true" Cooper to get back. It'll be irritating to just watch him learn how to learn cutlery for 18 episodes.
But amusing so far. Was losing it when he was like "Coffee! :)"

Ah man, this is so great though.

I still need Hannibal to return, though. This will always be my jam. Something I just love about it being a TV series too. I've only seen Blue Velvet of Lynch's other work, though. TV shows like this are just more appealing to me as you can revel in it more.

Is American Gods "weird" like this at all? Or is it more Supernatural-esque weird? Any other reccs for similar shows to Twin Peaks and Hannibal by anyone?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cromulent posted:

In the 2nd episode from last night, they seemed to make it a point to show the clip of the S2 finale of Cooper's evil-eyed doppleganger laughing with Bob, and then Bad Cooper chasing Good Cooper through the rooms. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're retconning it or anything, but it looks like they're not going for "Frank Silva Bob" being Bad Cooper.

I feel like this image is relevant. If not for this I would be on the doppelganger Bad Coop train, all the way.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I'm glad we got to see Log Lady one more time

:smith: :unsmith:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PoshAlligator posted:

Is American Gods "weird" like this at all? Or is it more Supernatural-esque weird? Any other reccs for similar shows to Twin Peaks and Hannibal by anyone?

Lars von Trier's Kingdom is pretty good. However, it also ends on a cliffhanger, just like Twin Peaks did. American Gods is a lot more grounded than Hannibal was, but since it's made by the same guy, there are a lot of similar aesthetic choices.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
THERE THEY ARE ALBERT. FACES OF STONE.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Cromulent posted:

I always read the end S2 as Doppelganger Cooper (Doppelcooper?) escaping the Black Lodge in Good Cooper's place, with BOB coming along for a ride. The two are distinct and separate, and BOB could have parted ways with the Doppelganger long before this season kicked off.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

saints gambit posted:

I think the genius part of it is that while all the really odd Lynchian stuff is going on the key thematically is in the more conventional throwaway standard TV parts. Lucy is so concerned about what is going on with the thermostat when they're not there. Lucy doesn't understand mobile phones. What happens when they're not there for 25 years is you don't get to experience or understand mobile phones. I never really thought about what makes Lynch's directorial style so menacing. It's just the patience. Longer than average set up shots or long shots of a hallway with a single figure walking towards the camera. The impression that absent the director that shot goes on indefinitely. It's the totality of the empty space when it's not being observed. On a long enough timeline something is going to happen everywhere so the entirety of the direction is exhausting because while there may never be a jump scare, you're always braced for it. Similarly, if you watched the same public space long enough there would be comedy, tragedy, romance, etc. It's incredibly voyeuristic and goes some way to explaining the tonal shift in the original series. In the same way Lucy wants to know what happens to the thermostat when she's not experiencing it directly, the audience wants to know what happened to all the characters regardless of the tone of that part of the narrative. Paralleling that with the constantly recorded glass box, where the observers are only punished when they look away.

good post

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

PoshAlligator posted:

Lynch has been watching too many memes. Couldn't help but think of this when watching, so I made the dumb thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drz6MNUigMU

This season is better than I dreamed of so far. It's so surreal it's actually finally here and happening. It's been so long and it feels so right. Really hope it doesn't take too long for "true" Cooper to get back. It'll be irritating to just watch him learn how to learn cutlery for 18 episodes.
But amusing so far. Was losing it when he was like "Coffee! :)"

Ah man, this is so great though.

I still need Hannibal to return, though. This will always be my jam. Something I just love about it being a TV series too. I've only seen Blue Velvet of Lynch's other work, though. TV shows like this are just more appealing to me as you can revel in it more.

Haven't seen American Gods yet, but there isn't a whole lot out there that is similar to Twin Peaks, honestly. I'd say X-Files, True Detective, and Carnivale? You'd probably like Fargo, too. Northern Exposure is sort of like the original TP if you took out the whole central mystery and the creepiness but kept the weirdness and the small-town dynamic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

I feel like this image is relevant. If not for this I would be on the doppelganger Bad Coop train, all the way.

It could be that when Bob took Windom Earl's soul it slowly fought its way into becoming the driving force of BadCoop.

Edit:
Then again, I'm sure he would have dressed Jack up like giant can of corn or something if that was the case.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Any thoughts on what was up with the junkie chick and the little boy in the house across from the rental Dougie is loving Jade at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I love that this season is already separating the men from the boys. This one is for all of us who spent the past 20 years making "Inland Empire" yarn walls. There's plenty of other awesome, accessible Prestige TV in this New Golden Age for you guys to watch. This one's for us Lynch autists.

the two extremes of bad TV posting in one thread

anyway I get being disappointed that this is morel movie lynch than tv lynch but I feel like the tv stuff is still there just not as prominent and probably won't be going anywhere? I mean jesus do you think lynch or frost wrote "James is cool" without knowing exactly what they were doing.