Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dont be mean to me posted:

We may need that. Gods shall be watching.

Oh yeah, good point. Quackeen is a duck goddess, isn't she? We can't be overtly callous to duck people while we are on an active quest for Quackeen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JosephWongKS posted:

Oh yeah, good point. Quackeen is a duck goddess, isn't she? We can't be overtly callous to duck people while we are on an active quest for Quackeen.

We can if it's costing the greed goddess a deal.

Also, there's a good chance we can inherit that sweet sword if we apply the right legal knowledge to the situation.

A Sorry ducko, I like you but you're loving stupid. Darwin demands his due.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah guys, don't forget that Abigail is our ticket to awesome gear that we couldn't possibly afford for a long, long time, if ever.

Keeping her alive is an investment.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The solution to Abigail is best armor upgrade.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Her getting hurt now plus a lot of training might mitigate her behaviour. But I also wouldn't mind kicking her out of the team, once we have a plan to keep the greats word.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Swedish Thaumocracy, based on our knowledge of Law / Accounting / Bureaucracy, is there any way for us to lay claim to the Paladin's greatsword notwithstanding Abigail's death?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Stop trying to scam our partymembers fuckers

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Waci posted:

Stop trying to scam our partymembers fuckers

It's less scamming and more like Abigail is an insane berserker without the skills to back it up and her death is significantly more likely because of it! Probably what we ought to do is hone her skills and make her into a death machine - but in the not-unlikely case she gets smooshed we should cover our bases.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Dog Kisser posted:

It's less scamming and more like Abigail is an insane berserker without the skills to back it up and her death is significantly more likely because of it!

Trying to legalese her property to us isn't really a solution to that, though?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Death and Inheritance

Toughy posted:

Any chance someone could use a torch on the downed troll and set it on fire?

Sure, you could even do it yourself!
How well a troll burns is anyone's guess. Especially one already covered in water.
How well the water burns is also a factor you might wish to consider.

RandomPauI posted:

Could we do A and yell at Abigail to fall back? Like we can't cover her charge?

You sure can! She might even listen.

No one seemed keen to give specific movement orders before, so all ITECs recruit are operating on autopilot awaiting further input.
They are trying their best to achieve the goals of the established plan, namely ambush and distraction to let that ambush happen.
Abigail appears to be providing the latter.

JosephWongKS posted:

Swedish Thaumocracy, based on our knowledge of Law / Accounting / Bureaucracy, is there any way for us to lay claim to the Paladin's greatsword notwithstanding Abigail's death?

Paladin of Toil posted:

"Truly? That one so young would slay the beast? You and your Your company does the empire great service. Mr. Ironscript. My sword is a tool, much as myself. I would not see it go to waste.
She shall inherit it on the day I die. So I vow before Toil."

Few words carry such weight as the vow of a Paladin before his God. No court in the land would dispute Abigails rightful inheritance. But inheritance relies on the crucial aspect of the inheritor still being alive.
If she dies before the Paladin, the sword will in all likelihood go back to the Church of Toil.

Dog Kisser posted:

It's less scamming and more like Abigail is an insane berserker without the skills to back it up and her death is significantly more likely because of it! Probably what we ought to do is hone her skills and make her into a death machine - but in the not-unlikely case she gets smooshed we should cover our bases.

In light of the recent surge of criticism in regards to Abigails behavior, her contract shall come up for review and vote at the end of the month, providing both of you survive.

---

Another note on 'inheritance' that came up in IRC* was; what would happen if one your team members died?

The answer to this question is very complex, depending on various factors such as How, Why, When and In What Context?
But at the very least, their gear would be distributed amongst the remaining team members and or returned to ITEC inventory for later dispersal.
Their monthly salary would be forfeited though any previous [wealth] in their possession would be distributed as per the contents of their last will and testament.

You would be expected, if at all possible, to retrieve the body and Death Certificate. One for disposal (again depending on a multitude of factors) and the other for immediate delivery to the Imperial Census.

The effect of death on team morale is impossible to gauge without knowing the context, but it probably wouldn't be any good.
Especially not since ITEC has never really faced this dilemma before.

--

(Please do join us at the unofficial CYOA chat channel https://www.synirc.net #madgod, where I can often be found together with some of the players and participants in other local CYOAs.
There I can more easily provide answers to any minor questions you might have!)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In the event of Abigail's death in this sort of situation people would be sad, shrug and something like 'well yeah, this was bound to happen, she was immune to learning, paying attention, using common sense or obeying orders. RIP nut duck.'

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Outrail posted:

In the event of Abigail's death in this sort of situation people would be sad, shrug and something like 'well yeah, this was bound to happen, she was immune to learning, paying attention, using common sense or obeying orders. RIP nut duck.'

What we really need is a feeble old man servant. The scary marsh horse was the quest we should have accepted all along.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Theantero posted:

A modified B, in that we should definitely try to kite Demarcation whilst the rest finish off Theodice (got to get him before that Troll Regen gets him back into the fight!), but I'd rather have somebody ELSE than Kvelar help us Kite. Mainly because Kvelar has the cool axe, and it'll go to waste on kiting. He should instead be on the coup de grāce team, since an axe should help make short work of the thing. Let's instead kite with, hmm, say, Khami. The chain is unlikely to help in finishing Theodice off (it's more of a support weapon after all), but might be useful in some sort of trickery against Demarcation.

I'll agree with this

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Theantro + warning to Abigail

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wait, is our employees gear ours or the company?ST's above post make it seem like its the companies. If its ours then shouldnt the sword she was going to get go to us.

Something along the lines of "As an employee of ITEC the decedent know formally as Abagail had no privilege or powers to make or be a recipient of an independent oath,bond,promise, curse or other wordly binding on her own behalf, seperate from the company during her term of employment. Therefore the rightful holder and recipient of the oath is the Company known as ITEC and upon completion of the one (1) year deadline ownership of the sword should revert to the ITEC company holdings where it may be loaned to an employee of ITEC in the pursuit of ITEC goals and profits."

Also Quackeen is literally the god of capitalism and profits, I highly doubt she will care about Abigail unless her death causes a loss in profits.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 23, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Or better, employee are our property.:agesilaus:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nyaa posted:

Or better, employee are our property.:agesilaus:

Honestly given the setting they might be.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Honestly given the setting they might be.

We are supposed to provide equipment for them to do their job. I expect that if they leave we get to keep it.

BUT the Paladin will give HER the sword, so if she dies it would probably go to her next of kin. But two things happen here, the way I see it. I don't think she has any other family, and we are friends, so we would get to keep it. AND when she dies she'll probably die in the field of battle. Which means we can finish the fight and then claim her equipment as spoils or salvage right or whatever.

I feel confident in saying the Palandin wouldn't give the sword to us if Abfail dies before.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

We are supposed to provide equipment for them to do their job. I expect that if they leave we get to keep it.

BUT the Paladin will give HER the sword, so if she dies it would probably go to her next of kin. But two things happen here, the way I see it. I don't think she has any other family, and we are friends, so we would get to keep it. AND when she dies she'll probably die in the field of battle. Which means we can finish the fight and then claim her equipment as spoils or salvage right or whatever.

I feel confident in saying the Palandin wouldn't give the sword to us if Abfail dies before.

Your same argument for us getting to keep the sword if she dies in battle could feasibly be used for us receiving the sword when she dies before the year is up. Id also rather not have people start crafting lovely plans just to off her and get her sword.

I feel confident that we could rule lawyer our way into getting the sword if she dies now, especially if we can make a case to the church of Toil that the sword would be used to fulfill the same jobs it would if it was given to her, with the added benefit of more jobs give our company's (hopefully longer) lifespan. For was Abagial not a cog in the larger machine that was ITEC?

I also honestly don't want to spend every contract trying to save her from herself before that year is up. Plus this is a chance to continue our reputation as that one mortal who lawyers the gently caress up when approached with anything mystical or divine.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 23, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Ah yes, if there is one thing Gods love is when mortals try to outplay them, that has never worked poorly for anyone. Not meant in an aggressive tone.

I feel like Abgail is annyoing and a liability, but she's saves our lives at least once I remember. With more training she could be useful. I don't want to kill her, but if she continues this way I won't be too upset when she croaks quacks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ah yes, if there is one thing Gods love is when mortals try to outplay them, that has never worked poorly for anyone. Not meant in an aggressive tone.

I feel like Abgail is annyoing and a liability, but she's saves our lives at least once I remember. With more training she could be useful. I don't want to kill her, but if she continues this way I won't be too upset when she croaks quacks.

Its less us outplaying them and more contractural law is appears to be a huge part of this setting which even gods follow and we would be idiots to not use that. Plus Toil is a god that seems pretty easy to play to, Abagail is basically a cog in the machine that is ITEC, we can do the same if not better job with the sword, etc etc.

Honestly if she does not die now Im going to vote to fire her, we dont need someone who we need to train and also restrain from getting them selves killed. I do hope she does die because shes going to hold a grudge if we fire her and gently caress off to another company.

Edit: like this is not us having them turn into a mouse so we can stomp on them or whatever its us utilizing a system of contracts and laws that almost all the gods seem to follow.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 23, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Edit: I have no idea what happened here

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 24, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget this, group morale would take a hit and our doctor would get mad at us for letting a little girl get killed. And us trying to argue that we weren't responsible for the death and she wasn't a little girl would just get him more angry at us.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Folks, might I suggest we not obsess over a sword we may or may not be getting in a year?

We might not survive the next 10 seconds, and these 'make or break' moments happen every single contract.

We'll have the gear we have and we'll make due as always.

Trying to keep a liability around for a full year just so we get some 'sweet sword' is foolish; we won't last that long if Duck Girl charges into every single battle as a berserker.

At best, she gets herself killed. At worst, she endangers the rest of the team because now we have to take on additional risks to save her.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Toil has promised the sword to Abigail, through the word of his Paladin, upon his death

In literally no way can this be interpreted as/lawyered into us having a claim to it should Abigail be unable to receive it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

alpaca diseases posted:

Toil has promised the sword to Abigail, through the word of his Paladin, upon his death

In literally no way can this be interpreted as/lawyered into us having a claim to it should Abigail be unable to receive it

We literally contractually rule lawyered our way out of bad dreams, Im willing to see what loopholes we can use about employee property and magic swords.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Trolls are icky. I hear their hands are nifty sausage dispensers though. :v:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Death, Swords and Salvage

Mr. Nemo posted:

BUT the Paladin will give HER the sword, so if she dies it would probably go to her next of kin. But two things happen here, the way I see it. I don't think she has any other family, and we are friends, so we would get to keep it.
AND when she dies she'll probably die in the field of battle. Which means we can finish the fight and then claim her equipment as spoils or salvage right or whatever.

alpaca diseases posted:

In the same way that Khamis chainmail belongs to him as it was not provided by ITEC to begin with, and in any case is custom fitted to his frame, the only way ITEC can conceivably lay their hands on the soon to be late Paladins' sword sans Abigail is Abigail surviving for a year under your employ and bequeathing it to ITEC in her last will and testament. If she does not, the Sword would go to her next of kin or whomever else she mentions in her last will and testament.
Oh, and she does have kin. As far as you know, they all live in Sockne. At least during the harvest season.

ITEC provided property, such as the greatsword Abigail is currently using, and soon most peoples armour would default back to ITEC upon her (their) death.
Salvage Rights allows you to claim slain monsters and their parts and equipment as loot; it does not allow you to steal from Imperial Citizens.
Sometimes, Imperial Equipment may be claimed as Salvage should the rightful owners no longer exist or not wish to come forward.

Not all recruits come with their own gear to start with, though you were lucky enough to find a bunch that did.
Either way you might at some point wish to consider changing the gearing of some recruits into something better fitting the team dynamic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that ITEC has not been in the business for very long. The Team has had no more than a week or two of training, all in all.
Most of your time together has been spent in transit to and from bounty locations and in the heat of battle. Turning a bunch of rookies into a fully fledged fighting force takes time.
Luckily at least two of your recruits have some experience under their belts.

---

The vote remains open as plan A and B (with modifications) are nearly neck and neck.
A thing of note is that plan A isn't "plan get away with the murder of Abigail" as much as "plan expose your flank whilst trying to deliver a coup de grace to the downed troll".
This is not saying that you shouldn't do it; indeed, it may be your only chance to kill Theodice before they have a chance to fight back, but instead is meant to better inform you on the risks contra the expected rewards.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 24, 2017

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Voting for A

We're tired and we need to get this poo poo sorted out as quickly as possible and dealing with 1 troll is going to be easier than dealing with 2.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
OP, what classes exist in this setting? Is there such thing as a "buff" class? A bard or a cleric? I really regret not having a heavy-hitting ranged class like that alchemist deathtrap gnome.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

OP, what classes exist in this setting? Is there such thing as a "buff" class? A bard or a cleric? I really regret not having a heavy-hitting ranged class like that alchemist deathtrap gnome.

There are no 'classes', only People. Each with their own experience and history. Some, like Konnie, might at first glance fit the traditional fantasy archetypes. In his case, dashing rogues/sneakthieves a totally legitimate businessman, but this is not the sum total of his personality.

The closest analog to class would be profession. Khami for instance used to be a caravan guard and as such knows a thing or two about distant locales and what you might meet on the road, whilst SlimeTech Beatrice is a Doctor of Slimeology and knows pretty much everything there is to know about slime.

That said, it pays to specialize and most people will have an aptitude for either ranged or meleé.

As for 'buff' classes; Clerics do exist but they are all tied to the United World Church. Paladins likewise, but tied to their Orders and even more intimately to their Gods. If you wish their blessings, seek them out.

The best and most direct way to temporarily strengthen yourselves or others in liue of direct Divine Intervention would be via Alchemcy, but the brewing of concoctions is not one suited to the battlefield. It is an arduous, dangerous and often very short life. You know of at least one, plying his trade in Braav. If you wish to purchase potions of off him, you need only find him in his shoppe.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We gon' die.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

We gon' die. In style some kinda nasty muck.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Between rocks and a muck-place.
Month 3, Week 4, Day 2
Afternoon

Wrapped in the comforting blanket of determination, you urge your recruits forward to deal with Theodice before he can recover. At the same time, you yell for Abigail to focus as you and Kvelar stream past her with Khami in tow.

Tommy, now somehow even dirtier than before, wades through the chill and fetid meltwater to reach the site of the main battle before it begins in earnest. Skvababt jumps out of the bog, releasing an arrow at the apex of her ascent before diving back in. Though an impressive move acrobatically speaking, the shot aimed at Demarcation does not manage to pierce tough troll hide.

Theodice splashes wildly, the opposite of a fish out of water, bellowing a primal cry of anguish as he desperately tries to extinguish the acid slowly dissolving his face.
Were it not for his skins incredible toughness, trollish regeneration and the fact that he fell into water almost instantly, you are certain his head would be skeletonized by this point.
Nevertheless, he looks completely out of it and you intend to make the most of the opportunity by axing him some pointed questions up close.

Though tall trolls traverse traditional terrain terrifically swiftly, such superlative speeds suffer serious setbacks sans sure footing. Furious, Demarcation reels from your surprise attack and goes to xir comrades rescue, hampered both by foe and field.
Though Khamis chains rap for xir attention they find no purchase on the scraggly warrior. Demarcation awnsers with a wide swing of xir greatclub, threatening to pulverize half of ITEC (you, kvelar, abigail and khami) in one fell swing.

Kvelar, your superior in combat ability and experienced has already rolled away by the time you notice the attack.
You cannot hope to stop the club with your shield and your body makes for a poor substitute so instead you dive for cover just barely making it under the arc of the blow.
Abigail, already in partial cover behind the lot of you takes a half step back to freedom and Khami is nearly beheaded. Nearly, as the stone club scrapes the top of his turban where nothing but cloth resides.

Konnie readies his repeating crossbow and sneaks further north-east to get better angles, firing two bolts at Demarcation as xir is clearly the larger threat at this point. In the madness of meleé, his shots go wide.
Privately, in between fearing for your life and that of your recruits, you begin to wonder if the increased rate of fire can ever be worth the abysmal accuracy inherent in the bandit quality gear.

Skvababt launches another arrow straight down the narrow corridor of people dodging for their lives. An arrow that strikes Demarcation in the torso and sticks there, causing a a grunt of pain.

Konnie reloads, going as close to Theodice as he dares and, with Demarcations attention turned elsewhere, fires two quick bolts into Theodices' flailing, helpless body.
As he almost on top of the troll, he does not miss, but neither does he do appreciable damage. With its head covered by its arms, Konnie instead opted for a heart-shot, learning the hard way where the creatures thick skin was thickest.
Johakim keeps his distance, ready to rush in to drag casualties aside.

Kvelar stows his shield on his back to get a better grip on his axe begins circling demarcation looking for an opening, hoping to distract xir long enough for you, Khami and Abigail to get away.

He swings his axe at xir legs (in truth it is hard for him to reach anything else) and his blow strikes sparks akin to hitting flint with stone.
A deep gash forms in Demarcations leg, the skin un-gravelling to expose the bone beneath, the wound quickly filling with toxic bog-water amidsts shrieks of pain and blasphemy. A horrific injury, one to lay low even the hardiest opponent.
A wound that, aside inflicting extravagant cursing and possibly necrosis or gangrene has not actually slain your foe, whom readies the greatclub to obliterate your cousin in response.

Tommy charges in with his own club held high. He believes you and your cousin more than capable of fighting of Demarcation (even if that was not your original intent) and so instead he focuses on Theodice, over-head smashing club onto arms.
Though his effort is mighty indeed, the wooden club only chips the stony hide, but it is enough to expose the monsters hideously deformed face for a moment should anyone else claim the strike.
Khami takes a few steps east, so as to better divide Demarcations attention and begins to swirl is chains in anticipation of a strike but makes no other offensive moves.

You are left standing next to Abigail with scant few seconds until your next near death experience.

Abigail looks to you, seemingly simultaneously a duckling barely hatched, innocent demenour and frail body hiding a raging lunatic warrior with eyes of fire and hate.

"Which one do we kill first?"

She would die for you. Will die for you. In all honesty, she would probably die for anything.
Can you put a price on such loyalty or madness? As an accountant, almost certainly. But such official matters are for later. Now, there is only death and a choice.

1: Abigail will follow your lead. At this point everyone else is acting independently to try to take down Theodice without overly risking their own lives.
Even though you have manage to put the hurt on both Trolls, you fear a lot more hurt needs to be delivered before they finally go down.

A: Coup De Grace
The path to Theodice is body-blocked by Demarcation though both you and Abigail are small enough to attempt slink through anyway.
Doing so will expose you to great risk as Demarcation is rearing for a killing blow on your cousin with a club large enough to squash you all if you happen to be properly aligned.
If you somehow manage to get to him though, the pair of you should be able to get at his throat before he regains enough composure to stand or protect it with his arms.
If all of you survive, Theodice will be completely surrounded and helpless and you can expect to finish him off in short order.

B: Distract Demarcation
If between Tommy and Konnie you are confident that Theodice is dealt with, perhaps it would be more prudent to provoke Demarcation further? Perhaps a few more thought provoking statements of faith or a mid battle, battle-prayer.
Write-ins encouraged. This action focuses on your group not dying.

C: Kill Demarcation
The best defense is a good offense, so you dogpile the Troll hoping that you kill it before it kills you. Abigail would approve.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B Hamstring the other leg.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B sounds good.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Khami is nearly beheaded. Nearly, as the stone club scrapes the top of his turban where nothing but cloth resides.

Jesus dude, don't scare me like that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B. Live, then kill.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B careful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa