Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Somehow I really miss the shot of the varied thrush from the opening titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fun little thing while we wait - what are everyone's favourite and least favourite scenes from the four episodes aired so far?

My favourite (Wally is a close second obv) has to be the intro of Evil Coop, with that loving amazing music and classic Lynch night driving shot. After 20 minutes of mildly unfamiliar oddities this is the moment where my favourite filmmaker came back in force.

Least favourite is probably in ep 3 - the hosed-up woman and son we see in the house across from Dougie and Jade's sex den. Just felt too disconnected from anything and more like Lynch just dipped into his early 00s website stuff for a second.

radlum
May 13, 2013
This weekend it's episode 3 and 4 again or are we gonna get a new episode?

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

One Swell Foop posted:

Somehow I really miss the shot of the varied thrush from the opening titles.

He died soon after filming. I believe he was the first cast member to pass away.

RIP little buddy.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

radlum posted:

This weekend it's episode 3 and 4 again or are we gonna get a new episode?

The former. And episode 5 is next week.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I've been thinking that Doug-E is based off of Douggie Milford. He factors into Secret History of Twin Peaks a lot and Mark Frost has implied that he was wearing the Owl Cave Ring in his appearances. His behavior is pretty similar, plus the actress who played his wife, the "black widow" is supposed to show up at some point.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Anyone notice the part with the couple and box is played with scary movie logic?
They initiate sex and instantly get ravaged

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Anyone notice the part with the couple and box is played with scary movie logic?
They initiate sex and instantly get ravaged
Always
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvLpbHKV1_8

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I'm with you on that. I think everything that needs to be explained is or will be as necessary.

I enjoy the absurd, abstract and spooky parts for what they are, like a weird-rear end dream... and it's not as enjoyable if I sit there and try to pick everything apart and try to rearrange it. I don't think there's a code to crack here. It's David loving Lynch.

It's a bit like with the game Yume Nikki, which is just a bunch of dream imagery with vague hints at what's happening. There's whole fanmade sequels that try to "expand" the story and websites with "theories" that try to explain why one image means this or that. They're all horrible and miss the point of the game, which is that messed up poo poo is fun to watch in its own right. It only has to make unconscious sense.

I found out that Twin Peaks was really popular in Japan, almost everybody from a certain generation knows about it if you ask them, and lots of Japanese fans visit the site where they filmed. It was actually the inspiration for the game Link's Awakening and I suspect it also influenced Earthbound (although the first Earthbound preceded it, but the whole plot of the second game is really similar in tone to Twin Peaks).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Shibawanko posted:

I found out that Twin Peaks was really popular in Japan, almost everybody from a certain generation knows about it if you ask them, and lots of Japanese fans visit the site where they filmed. It was actually the inspiration for the game Link's Awakening and I suspect it also influenced Earthbound (although the first Earthbound preceded it, but the whole plot of the second game is really similar in tone to Twin Peaks).

That's actually really cool. I don't mean to be a pedant but you've actually confused me a bit here. By "the first Earthbound" do you mean Mother? There's only one game called Earthbound and it's the second game in the Mother series.

e: Nevermind, I'm wrong and dumb. I was just informed that Mother was released in America under the name Earthbound Beginnings. So I guess that's just the American name of the series now.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 25, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope James killed Donna in the motorcycle accident and it was her body at the smelly murder scene

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Xinder posted:

That's actually really cool. I don't mean to be a pedant but you've actually confused me a bit here. By "the first Earthbound" do you mean Mother? There's only one game called Earthbound and it's the second game in the Mother series.

e: Nevermind, I'm wrong and dumb. I was just informed that Mother was released in America under the name Earthbound Beginnings. So I guess that's just the American name of the series now.

Yeah Mother 1 was from 1989, Mother 2 from 1994.

The wind fish egg is probably loosely based on the black lodge, it was also the first Zelda game with an owl in it, and the weird petroglyph in the face shrine is like the one in owl cave in Twin Peaks.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It seems like a style that was enjoyed in Japan quite a lot. Serial Experiments Lain (1998) has quite a Lynch feel to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFniomRX_QA&t=119s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lynch has always had a big Japanese following. The Twin Peaks cast even filmed coffee commercials for the country iirc

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Has anyone made note of all the numbers that keep popping up in S3? They're pretty prominent and all over the place. The giant gives some, the arm gives some, there are numbers that change on the electrical socket machine, the junkie lady blurts some out. There's a bunch more too, even back in FWWM.

Not sure if there's more to it, but when Jade reaches into Coop's pocket and finds his Great Northern room key, it says "315." The vault numbers were 15 and 3.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Just, y'know, as a side-note I am *really* impressed with just how quickly people gulped down all 4 episodes and started analyzing it. I mean like, I'm not trying to point fingers and accuse people of moving too fast with this, but like.... There is a loving LOT LOT LOT to unpack. I have spent over a decade and a half re-watching the series (well, the god parts vis a vis a lot of season 2) as well as FWWM (and recently Missing Pieces) every single year, just about. Gleaning all sorts of meanings and allusions and different interpretations.

The material is so DEEP. Lynch, like Kubrick, is essentially playing multi-level chess, and instilling meaning into so many layers. You could study the soundtracks of each episode and probably find fascinating things all over the place. Did you notice that Lynch is also listed in the end credits solely for "sound design"? With Twin Peaks you've got that hugely important level of sound, and the hugely important level of how things happen and are presented visually, and the set design, and the camera angles. Expressions on the actors' faces. Oftentimes there is real *meaning* in these places, and it's neither simple nor grandiose but just there.

What I'm really trying to say is that I found SO FREAKING MUCH to look at it in just the first two episodes alone. I watched them both twice before I apprehensively clicked on the third episode And literally stopped 6 minutes in because what was happening was blowing my puny mind and connecting to so many different theories and ideas symbols and events that I knew I would have to start over on this episode and watch it when I could go through it all undistracted and after dark... plus get a better grasp of the first two episodes.

This is just so much explosively creative Lynchian dreamscape (which has always felt scarily similar to my own dreamscapes) and I have been waiting SO LONG for this that.... Well, frankly I am going to be seriously, seriously relieved when we get on a 1-episode per week rhythm. I mean, we are gonna NEED that week in between episodes just to properly TRY to follow along with what's happening and why. As I said, I'm still working on the first two episodes.

I'm still entranced by Mr. C rollin' into Buehla's to the sound of "American Woman" all chopped and screwed, looking like an even more psychotic Michael Madsen. Or the first call between Margaret and Hawk. Or the patterned floor of the red room opening up while the evolution of The Arm screams "NON-EXIST-ENCE!". Or the pure savagery and horror of the way Mr.C/BOB kills Darya. That punch reminded me so much of the way Leland would punch women he was killing. Anyone else notice that? I'm still hung up on what Matthew Lillard was doing with his face. Or the weird effect when Mr. C shot the guy's wife. Was that supposed to be awful CGI blood that left no splatter or something else? Cooper did say something to her about following human nature - is she another black lodge entity somehow, perhaps possessed. Is her husband?

So... I'm still mentally unpacking all of this and fully getting my head and hands around it. I really am amazed at the people who watched all 4 in a row. This is strong medicine, and possibly the magnun opus of Lynch's career.. I suppose we'll see. To me, it's like 18 Birthday presents all lined up, and once you unwrap it'll always be unwrapped forever, so I want to unwrap them carefully, y'know?

Oh, and I do want to underscore just how incredibly important the element of sound is in this series - and will continue to be. Sounds, odd sounds connected with objects or places have always been symbolically hugely important.

In fact, the first sentence of the revival consists of The Giant saying the following:

"Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds"

Advice we should ALL take for the span of this series, not just Agent Cooper.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 25, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HD DAD posted:

Those fuckin' legs yowza. Shame she got her face scooped out by a buzzy ghost alien.

yeah i just saw that, she's much less sexy now

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wild Horses posted:

just popping in to say don't bully james. he was a dweeb but he's old and lonely now.

he stll has a babyface though

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I'm with you on that. I think everything that needs to be explained is or will be as necessary.

I enjoy the absurd, abstract and spooky parts for what they are, like a weird-rear end dream... and it's not as enjoyable if I sit there and try to pick everything apart and try to rearrange it. I don't think there's a code to crack here. It's David loving Lynch.

David Lynch is an extremely symbol-minded director who, despite his coy joking about how there's no one right way to interpret his movies, has a very specific idea he's getting across most of the time. David Lynch is synonymous with there being hidden or obscured information that must be teased out, not putting nonsense on screen for no reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Under the vegetable posted:

David Lynch is an extremely symbol-minded director who, despite his coy joking about how there's no one right way to interpret his movies, has a very specific idea he's getting across most of the time. David Lynch is synonymous with there being hidden or obscured information that must be teased out, not putting nonsense on screen for no reason.

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Just because somebody doesn't look at it in the same way or as literally doesn't mean they think it's nonsense for example.

You look at it that he has a very specific thing he's getting across, but I wouldn't be surprised if he often can't explain why something works, he just feels it works. And different people may get something different out of it. I do think analyzing details like the number stuff is interesting, but I also don't think his stuff overall has one specific way of looking at it. He's the king of dreamlike surreal movies, might as well have some room for interpretation.

It's interesting that you consider him to be coyly joking though, I think he's being sincere.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 25, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I have to assume he's got a sense of humor about that stuff, his timing on lines in interviews like

"I think Eraserhead is my most spiritual film."
"Can you elaborate on that?"
"No."

kills me

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's funny in how he won't answer what he doesn't want to etc, true. Saying he's joking when he contradicts your view on his movies is another thing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

In fact, the first sentence of the revival consists of The Giant saying the following:

"Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds"

Advice we should ALL take for the span of this series, not just Agent Cooper.

Then maybe you can help me confirm whether there is a muted toilet flushing sound during the non-exist-ent scene. I can't quite tell whether that's just what my brain wants to hear.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

kaworu posted:

Cooper did say something to her about following human nature - is she another black lodge entity somehow, perhaps possessed. Is her husband?

So... I'm still mentally unpacking all of this and fully getting my head and hands around it. I really am amazed at the people who watched all 4 in a row. This is strong medicine, and possibly the magnun opus of Lynch's career.. I suppose we'll see. To me, it's like 18 Birthday presents all lined up, and once you unwrap it'll always be unwrapped forever, so I want to unwrap them carefully, y'know?
Definitely curious to see where that story goes, so many cool things going on.

Agreed for sure that it's like 18 Birthday presents, pretty wonderful that this ended up happening (again)!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

yeah i just saw that, she's much less sexy now

She was full-front naked in Californication with Agent Denise like a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Showtime always was on the cutting edge of turning women you remember as kids from sitcoms into sex objects.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did the woman with no eyes scoop out the rest of Cooper's brain

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

moist turtleneck posted:

Did the woman with no eyes scoop out the rest of Cooper's brain

He'll be fine once the caffeine kicks in.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Have you guys... er, noted that the woman with her eyes stiched shut (and later with eyes of course and 'normal' backward speaking) was playing by freaking Phoebe Augustine? You might remember her from that magazine of taste and class, FLESH WORLD:

Yeah, seriously. I'm sure the connection has been made before that the women with no eyes was played by the same actress as Ronnette Pulaski. But Cooper certainly doesn't recognize her (and probably neither do we). She is credited in the cast as "American Girl", which is a *fairly* odd way to credit someone as freaking odd as that. But I mean, there *has* to be some message being sent here, it's not as if Lynch would make an arbitrary decision to recast the actress who played Ronnette in a scene like THAT.

But digging a bit deeper, it also makes me feel like the "American Girl" with her eyes stiched shut (or not stitched shut) is a benevolent force in relation to Cooper, and the "the purple room" or whatever we are calling that odd spaceship-ish... thing.... is also a positive place of some sort, at least for Cooper. Major Briggs showing up in the hallucination and it being makes me think of the Deep Space transmissions that Major Briggs shared with Cooper in the season 2 premiere. Could these "deep space transmissions" ultimately be coming from the Purple Room, in some way?

I shall end with a FWWM quote that has likely been quoted already in this thread but is worth quoting again:

quote:

DONNA
Do you think that if you were falling in space you would slow down after a while or go faster and faster?

LAURA
Faster and faster.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

business hammocks posted:

She was full-front naked in Californication with Agent Denise like a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Showtime always was on the cutting edge of turning women you remember as kids from sitcoms into sex objects.

Yeah, she was the inspiration for loving and Punching. She played Moody's ex-wife's stepdaughter.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Under the vegetable posted:

I didn't mean to imply that it was just a bunch of nonsense. I think he's a great storyteller and it isn't too difficult to follow with what's going on - I wouldn't waste my time watching otherwise. I think that it's only natural to try to rationalize things, that's a very human thing. As far as his films go, I like to let it make sense in the moment, instead of trying to make sense out of it. Like a bizarre dream where what you're doing and everything going on around you makes perfect sense, but then you wake up and try to explain it out loud and it becomes ridiculous. I'll still think of the dream and it will still make sense in my head. Probably why Inland Empire is my favorite.

But I understand why people like theories and rationalization. In any case, I love reading discussions about Lynch poo poo.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

kaworu posted:

Have you guys... er, noted that the woman with her eyes stiched shut (and later with eyes of course and 'normal' backward speaking) was playing by freaking Phoebe Augustine?

The woman with no eyes was played by a different person, Nae Yuuki, according to the credits.

kaworu posted:

She is credited in the cast as "American Girl", which is a *fairly* odd way to credit someone as freaking odd as that. But I mean, there *has* to be some message being sent here, it's not as if Lynch would make an arbitrary decision to recast the actress who played Ronnette in a scene like THAT.

If you watch this streaming through Amazon and have that "X-Ray" feature turned on, it shows you all the cast members in whatever scene you're watching. Interestingly, it showed this for the "American Girl":

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Also this video is awful and terrible and I love it http://youtu.be/sv0PAoNFNLU?a
It's so beautiful :allears:

Escobarbarian posted:

Fun little thing while we wait - what are everyone's favourite and least favourite scenes from the four episodes aired so far?

My favourite (Wally is a close second obv) has to be the intro of Evil Coop, with that loving amazing music and classic Lynch night driving shot. After 20 minutes of mildly unfamiliar oddities this is the moment where my favourite filmmaker came back in force.

Least favourite is probably in ep 3 - the hosed-up woman and son we see in the house across from Dougie and Jade's sex den. Just felt too disconnected from anything and more like Lynch just dipped into his early 00s website stuff for a second.
That's really hard to choose. I think my favorite was probably the nightmare creature in the glass box emerging and then ripping apart Sam and Tracey. Or basically any scene with Dougie in the casino or his house. Those were all solid gold. Least favorite would probably be Wally. It was hilarious and I was laughing my rear end off all the way through it, but it also felt like it dragged on too long and it was kind of unbearable and I hope that's his only appearance for the entire season.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2017

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

kaworu posted:

Major Briggs showing up in the hallucination and it being makes me think of the Deep Space transmissions that Major Briggs shared with Cooper in the season 2 premiere. Could these "deep space transmissions" ultimately be coming from the Purple Room, in some way?

I'm half thinking that it is actually a Project Bluebook satellite. It has a bunch of 20th century looking technology in it, a blue rose and it literally transmits something back to earth.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

astronautism posted:

The woman with no eyes was played by a different person, Nae Yuuki, according to the credits.

If you watch this streaming through Amazon and have that "X-Ray" feature turned on, it shows you all the cast members in whatever scene you're watching. Interestingly, it showed this for the "American Girl":

Right, OK.. So the actress who played Ronette, credited as 'American Girl', was the second girl who could speak/see normally, not the first one who flips the switch and flies into oblivion.

That makes a bit more sense.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Was unsure what I really thought of the new episodes at first. Now that the imagery and ideas have been squatting in my brain for a few days I'm super-excited. It's really kind of grown on me. Have a feeling this is all leading up to something enormous. Maybe we'll see the universe destroyed in episode 17 and episode 18 will be 54 minutes of black silent emptiness.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fairly passive posted:

Maybe we'll see the universe destroyed in episode 17 and episode 18 will be 54 minutes of black silent emptiness.
If anyone could make that compelling to watch, it's Lynch.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Finale's going to be an hour of Dick Tremayne hijinks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
loving A. Should not have watched all four of those first episodes in one shot. That was goddamn depressing.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

kaworu posted:

Right, OK.. So the actress who played Ronette, credited as 'American Girl', was the second girl who could speak/see normally, not the first one who flips the switch and flies into oblivion.

That makes a bit more sense.

Yeah, but the odd thing is she's listed as literally "Ronette Pulaski" in the x-ray information. Dunno if that was a slip by whatever system they use to create the x-ray data, or if it was accurate info that they were trying to keep ambiguous in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Did you all notice the actor that played Jacques Renault now runs the Bang Bang Bar but his characters name is now Jean Michel Renault.