Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

No, that's not a question. It will never ever get made
Well if it follows Redpower's route, sure thing. And I don't doubt that it will, but if you're going to pitch a game to Patreons, this is stuff you should probably think about.

Or not, since Eloraam still has people giving her money for a game that'll never eventuate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I was able to 10/10/10 just about every possible crop in 1.7.10, but have had very little luck in 1.10.2. I couldn't even get any crops to cross-breed when I tried it. This was a few versions ago, but it sounds like the mod still has a long way to go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, something major changed in the way crops work now. I've seen crops spread singly (duplicating seeds) without cross-crops, and I can't seem to get mutations to inherit stats under any circumstances.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
To be fair, Agricraft does come with a big "HEY THIS IS IN ALPHA PLS K THX" warning every time you log in, so if it's mod bugs and not dumb poo poo modpack configs then that's cool w/ me.

E: My gameplan at this point is to just make some farming stations and slap em down in my metal fields and call it a day. Powercells to keep them running, Ender Chests to port out the good stuff

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 25, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ambaire posted:

I thought D-T fuel was only supposed to be used in the hohlraum thingy for ignition? I think it eats that stuff like crazy if you let it. Typical way is to feed deuteruim/tritium separately and fiddle with the injection rate to adjust power. How much fuel are you feeding it and what power are you getting?

e. quote from the mek wiki

The max fuel injection rate is 98, (49mb deut + 49mb trit per tick) which gives just over 9 million rf/t.

Setting the injection rate to 2, then piping in D-T fuel puts out about 62 million rf/t using 1 Gas Export bus with 4 acceleration cards which has a fluid transfer limit of 625 mb/t.

A second Export bus makes it put out around 98 million rf/t, adding a 3rd actually dropped it back to 95. :confused:

[edit] 625 mb/t is 6.377 times more than 98 mb/t, and 62 million rf/t is almost 6.377 times more than 9.7 million rf/t. Seems it scales linearly. It also seems to have a hard limit of 988 mb/t usage.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 25, 2017

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
So I have kind of an odd question, I guess. What do you guys do or generally work toward in kitchen sink modpacks? I'm currently playing All the Mods 1.10. I've done a fair bunch of stuff (from a Tinker's Smeltery to a small Extreme Reactors nuclear reactor for decent powergen to a Mekanism jetpack), but there's just so many mods (in a modpack called All the Mods, who'd've thought) I'm kind of overwhelmed. What fun or interesting things could I do or make? Which mods are fun to explore? A big part of my problem is that I also don't know how to even begin a lot of mods.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
..holy poo poo, gently caress Agricraft. I need to start growing things with Garden Cloches.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Unfortunately they don't work with Botania flowers, at least not yet.

I was hoping to be able to automate dye production for Flat Colored Blocks with them, but it seems like I'll have to rig up something using mechanical users.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

Unfortunately they don't work with Botania flowers, at least not yet.

I was hoping to be able to automate dye production for Flat Colored Blocks with them, but it seems like I'll have to rig up something using mechanical users.

Just use the Jaded Amarflower thing and a drum of the wild?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cyclical posted:

So I have kind of an odd question, I guess. What do you guys do or generally work toward in kitchen sink modpacks? I'm currently playing All the Mods 1.10. I've done a fair bunch of stuff (from a Tinker's Smeltery to a small Extreme Reactors nuclear reactor for decent powergen to a Mekanism jetpack), but there's just so many mods (in a modpack called All the Mods, who'd've thought) I'm kind of overwhelmed. What fun or interesting things could I do or make? Which mods are fun to explore? A big part of my problem is that I also don't know how to even begin a lot of mods.

I tend to work towards getting an AE2/RS storage system fairly early on, though many people like going for a big wall of storage drawers instead first. Otherwise, pick a mod and work through its tech tree, especially if it's one you don't know much about. Build a themed area for the mod even, perhaps. Explore how it works, how things interact. Try to automate it.

Something like, 'gently caress it I'm gonna build a house on the moon' is also a good idea. A goal I'm working towards in Grimdark is making a space station with Advanced Rocketry to live in, for example. My previous goal was to reach the current end of the research tree in Futurepack. Which was pretty interesting.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Black Pants posted:

..holy poo poo, gently caress Agricraft. I need to start growing things with Garden Cloches.

Yeah, they're amazing. The only sort of farming I've found that even comes close to it is the Phytogenic Insolator, which does higher bulk but requires phyto-gro.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

drat that looks awesome.

Also agricraft is a piece of poo poo mod for bad people

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the funny thing about agricraft is that it is basically a wholesale ripoff of IC2's crop system

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the funny thing about agricraft is that it is basically a wholesale ripoff of IC2's crop system

Which was also terrible

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

To be fair, Agricraft does come with a big "HEY THIS IS IN ALPHA PLS K THX" warning every time you log in, so if it's mod bugs and not dumb poo poo modpack configs then that's cool w/ me.

E: My gameplan at this point is to just make some farming stations and slap em down in my metal fields and call it a day. Powercells to keep them running, Ender Chests to port out the good stuff
Yeah, unfortunately with the difficulty of building up stats and the high cost of crops I'm probably just going to keep planting directly on fertilized soil, and use lilypads of fertility down the way if I really need them. It goes fast enough as it is, even if that x4 yield from agricraft would be pretty nice.
I'm stacking growth accelerators under a single block so I can hopefully get it churning out almost constant production of whatever one thing I need at a given time and that's working pretty well, too. Once I can afford Mystical Agriculture watering cans things will pick up even more.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
250,000 mb/t of steaaaaam! I'm really liking these super-laminar fluiducts.

[edit] How do I get the water back from the turbine?

[edit 2] I estimate the max steam from a D-T fuelled reactor will be round 37,000,000 mb/t of steam, enough for 15 full 11x11x18 turbines for something like 1.45 billion rf/t.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How do you transmit RF in CoTT? I can't find any cables/wires that can transmit it.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Carcer posted:

How do you transmit RF in CoTT? I can't find any cables/wires that can transmit it.
Look for Ender I/O's energy conduits, though you may need to set up an alloy smelter first to make the metals needed.

Over longer distances you can also use powercells, which you can link together with cards to share power between them wirelessly. There should actually be a quest to make one (or give you one as a reward, can't remember).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

embers is a pretty cool mod with a lot of aesthetically pleasing to look at magical industry stuff, but i'm really hurting for a dedicated book that gives good info about everything in it.

i guess it's a work in progress, but it really makes me appreciate botania and thaumcraft for having interactive books

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

embers has a book, but im not sure how good it is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

weird, i've only ever seen the weird eye thing that gives info if you point it at stuff you've already made

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] How do I get the water back from the turbine?

[edit 2] I estimate the max steam from a D-T fuelled reactor will be round 37,000,000 mb/t of steam, enough for 15 full 11x11x18 turbines for something like 1.45 billion rf/t.

There's a Condensator block you place as part of the upper half of the turbine, and then you can add a fluid output port or something, I forget the specifics but look for Condensator.

But seeee that's why you people want a Mekanism turbine over Big Reactors/Extreme Reactors!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carcer posted:

As well as what Halibut Barn said, the pack DOES have Immersive Engineering, so you may want to look up its power wires as an alternative to EnderIO, provided they haven't been disabled in favour of the latter.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Johnny Joestar posted:

weird, i've only ever seen the weird eye thing that gives info if you point it at stuff you've already made

That's the only one. If you're playing on 1.10.2, I wouldn't bother - getting Ember is a serious pain in the rear end in 1.10.2 due to it determining ember strength per chunk and very few chunks have enough ember. 1.11.2 did away with that and determines it some other way (and is much more able to be gathered). Also 1.10.2 is not being updated or developed further at all.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone know why the personal server I host for my wife and I would start lagging? We're both in the same room, I've hosted this exact server for around 3 weeks with zero issue. It's on direwolf20 1.10.2. It ran fine until today and now when I start it I keep getting the Server Can't Keep Up! With more and more lag each time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Serifina posted:

That's the only one. If you're playing on 1.10.2, I wouldn't bother - getting Ember is a serious pain in the rear end in 1.10.2 due to it determining ember strength per chunk and very few chunks have enough ember. 1.11.2 did away with that and determines it some other way (and is much more able to be gathered). Also 1.10.2 is not being updated or developed further at all.

There's definitely an embers book if you're on 1.11.2. I don't think it's from the embers mod itself, so you can't check it with @embers. It's using some other mod, check out the forge craft ep 5 from direwolf20, he makes the book.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In COtT

i placed an ender energy conduit and now my game crashes, mcedit still works to remove items?

and is there no IE garden cloche in COtT?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Toadsmash posted:

Is there a specific OTG preset you're supposed to use to get all the fun stuff that Grimdark picked up to show up in your SSP world?

I got an air drop on my second day of this world with just over a full stack of diamonds inside. OKAY THEN!

Biome Bundle, also I fixed the air drops with better loot

Meskhenet posted:

and is there no IE garden cloche in COtT?

Grimdark has the cloche + the new immersive petroleum stuff already

frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2017

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Because I'm an idiot and forgot that a few days ago I posted that I'd post my JVM arguments that have helped me out quite a bit with lag in single-player.

code:
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500
Seriously turned Foolcraft from "freezing every few seconds, especially if doing a lot of exploring" to playing just fine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

There's definitely an embers book if you're on 1.11.2. I don't think it's from the embers mod itself, so you can't check it with @embers. It's using some other mod, check out the forge craft ep 5 from direwolf20, he makes the book.

what the hell, there IS a book. that would have made things so much less disjointed if i'd known that was a thing. i was checking @embers, so, i had no idea

e: well gently caress, yeah, looks like i'm using an older version of the mod that doesn't have all the stuff this version does. anyone know a good, up to date modpack for 1.12 that has embers and other stuff while not being gigantic?

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 26, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

embers is a pretty cool mod with a lot of aesthetically pleasing to look at magical industry stuff, but i'm really hurting for a dedicated book that gives good info about everything in it.

i guess it's a work in progress, but it really makes me appreciate botania and thaumcraft for having interactive books

For real I hate having to pick apart tech trees from NEI/JEI and I greatly appreciate mods that place any kind of value on having a manual that actually guides you through the flow of the mod. Thaumcraft, for as much as the research process is a huge nuisance after you've already done it once or twice, does a fantastic job of making you slow down and actually look at and play with the toys it's handing you instead of having you rocket to the top of the tech tree as quickly as possible or gating progress behind enormous, tedious material requirements.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

You'll want the Ancient Codex from Embers

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/2804357-elucents-mods-roots-2-embers-clarity posted:

To get started with Embers, you will need to find some Ancient Golem mobs.
Kill them for their drops, until you have at least two Archaic Bricks and an Ancient Motive Core.
Use the drops to craft an Ancient Codex.
Within the Codex is contained all the information you will need to progress through the mod.

Johnny Joestar posted:

what the hell, there IS a book. that would have made things so much less disjointed if i'd known that was a thing. i was checking @embers, so, i had no idea

e: well gently caress, yeah, looks like i'm using an older version of the mod that doesn't have all the stuff this version does. anyone know a good, up to date modpack for 1.12 that has embers and other stuff while not being gigantic?

I have NST Exploration on Minecraft 1.11.2, which includes Roots 2 and Embers. I made this modpack for my family.

If you want a look at others, here's a list sorted by popularity.

taiyoko posted:

Because I'm an idiot and forgot that a few days ago I posted that I'd post my JVM arguments that have helped me out quite a bit with lag in single-player.

code:
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500
Seriously turned Foolcraft from "freezing every few seconds, especially if doing a lot of exploring" to playing just fine.

For those wanting more options which I use for my servers (toned down, closer to @taiyoko's, for clients). Some of these settings (e.g. +UseLargePages) requires your server to support it (e.g. https://wiki.debian.org/Hugepages for +UseLargePages).
code:
java -server  \
        -Xms3072M -Xmx3072M  \
        -XX:+UseLargePages  \
        -XX:+UseLargePagesInMetaspace  \
        -XX:+AggressiveOpts  \
        -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4
        -XX:ConcGCThreads=2
        -Djline.terminal=unix -Djava.util.prefs.userRoot=/home/minecraft/multicraft/servers/mc1.11  \
        -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true  \
        -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch  \
        -XX:+UseG1GC  \
        -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions  \
        -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100  \
        -XX:+DisableExplicitGC  \
        -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90  \
        -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50  \
        -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 \
        -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10  \
        -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=50  \
        -XX:+AggressiveOpts \
        -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy \
        -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods \
        -jar forge-1.11.2-13.20.0.2304-universal.jar nogui"

lolmer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 26, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Speaking of optimization, a few other notes:

One, use BetterFPS. And you can run the BetterFPS jar by itself to have it benchmark what algorithm you should be using. It can make a world of difference.

Also, in the forge.cfg file, set B:alwaysSetupTerrainOffThread=true . It's the 4th option, I believe. It greatly improves Minecraft's behavior during chunk loading and generation.

And use Foamfix. Seriously, if you aren't already (and it is included in effectively every major modpack I've seen) get it. It doesn't even increase Minecraft's load speed anymore - under repeated testing with various config options, both with and without Foamfix, Minecraft now loads faster with it, and that's still including all the deduplication stuff it does to help with memory, and Minecraft overall behaves better.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a veinminer analogue in Grimdark?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a veinminer analogue in Grimdark?

OreExcavator. Works the same.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What am I supposed to do when a weapon/armor piece levels up in CoTT? I see the messages every now and then but I don't see the item change at all.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

There's a keybindings to level them and you can choose like more damage or heals you on hit, etc

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Carcer posted:

What am I supposed to do when a weapon/armor piece levels up in CoTT? I see the messages every now and then but I don't see the item change at all.

go to options, controls, key bindingings.

Remove everything that has 'L' bound to it.

Then in game, hold the item and press 'L' and you should get the option to add abilities to it.

What i need to know, is how do i repair these items?

I had an iron sword leveled up nicely, then when i added a 2nd sword to repair it, i lost all the enchantments.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I think you have to repair enchanted stuff in an anvil. That or get a repairer for Actually Additions.
Look up if duct tape is in the pack too, (It might not be) because that can be used to repair weapons and armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Frost enchant is king early on in cott. It has a chance to stun enemies and that is a lifesaver against zombies with tnt.

I've been playing on the grimdark server and I'm kinda paralyzed with choice. I've got projectE up and running, a cubic fort made of hardened stone bricks, a basic enderIO mill/alloy smelter lacking power and a power suit that needs upgrading.

I'd like to experiment with dimlets or something to get away from the dungeon ridden overworld and start building in safety asap.