Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's good if you like East Asian indie composers and vocaloids, download the phone app and try the free songs there. The Switch has a slightly smaller library of songs than the phone app but they're all unlocked and there's no microtransaction nonsense.

there's also 1.1 coming to Switch with more songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

well why not posted:

there's also 1.1 coming to Switch with more songs.

Where was this posted? I've been looking for updates on the Switch version but couldn't find squat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Where was this posted? I've been looking for updates on the Switch version but couldn't find squat.

http://nintendoeverything.com/voez-will-get-18-new-songs-with-upcoming-1-1-update/

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kashuno posted:

MHXX Switch Edition hot loving drat

:same:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played Monster Hunter.

I had two friends try to get me to buy it for 3DS but I didn't.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Bloop posted:

It's pretty fun, but in general I think it's a bit over hyped. That's my hot take anyway.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Bloop posted:

It depends on you being extremely interested in the type of action game that it is. I've heard it compared to Dark Souls, but it's more like a weird-rear end take on Punch Out. You learn to recognize the monster's tells and movement patterns, and use that to avoid being hit and know when your openings are for damage. You generally commit to animations, and there are a lot of fiddly bits where you can transition a combo into a different combo, and that sort of thing.

Also, you have to fight any given monster like at least 6 or 8 times to make their armor, so there is a bit of a grind.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Bloop posted:

Monster hunting is fun and it's even more fun to hunt monsters with friends.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

finally, a purpose-made Monster Hunter game for something that has more processing power than a watch! I can't wait to see all the cool graphi

quote:

Monster Hunter XX is an expanded version of Monster Hunter Generations. Generations came out in the west on 3DS last year
oh gently caress off

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

It depends on you being extremely interested in the type of action game that it is. I've heard it compared to Dark Souls, but it's more like a weird-rear end take on Punch Out. You learn to recognize the monster's tells and movement patterns, and use that to avoid being hit and know when your openings are for damage. You generally commit to animations, and there are a lot of fiddly bits where you can transition a combo into a different combo, and that sort of thing.

Also, you have to fight any given monster like at least 6 or 8 times to make their armor, so there is a bit of a grind.

Usually I only make the armor sets that look the prettiest so it cuts out a lot of the super bad grinding aspects in the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The Bloop posted:

It's either something you will make up weird poo poo about people liking it because it's an exclusive or something, lol at that guy, or you will play it for 100+ hours and love it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Monster Hunter is really fun but I can also absolutely see why people bounce off of it, you have to really dig the blend of its particular gameplay and a grind framework. I bounced off it twice before getting hooked, and after mostly completing Mh4u I've basically quit the series until they made a non-3ds entry because the game really feels bad on that screen with those controls.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is supposedly the Steam release date, but that gives a good idea of when it could be out on Switch!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6dhow0/sonic_mania_release_date_august_15th/

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Sakurazuka posted:

Opinions on VOEZ for a huge rhythm game fan?

5-button game with huge timing windows, think Uttachi without a stylus. Music is all doujon stuff, no key sounds.

The gimmick is that the notes and lanes "dance around" during the song, so it's not always obvious where the boundaries of each lane are, or which lane the notes will land in when it reaches the bottom.

All songs unlock at the start, and there are no clear lamps or leaderboards, so there's no real progression outside of a little mission system (which boils down to just AAAing songs). If you play IIDX or Popn, you'll clear the hardest charts in VOEZ right off the bat.

There's a problem with most headphones not being able to draw power from the switch, making the game super quiet. The likely reason for the VOEZ update is because Thumper managed to include a workaround to the headphone problem, so VOEZ can hopefully do the same.

At £20 it's a neat little package, but it's not aimed at music game players.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So ARMS testpunch is doing that SPlatoon 2 hourly thing, right? It's not all weekend. It starts later today?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

So ARMS testpunch is doing that SPlatoon 2 hourly thing, right? It's not all weekend. It starts later today?

Yup, there's one hourly segment today, and 3 more on both Saturday and Sunday. Then, the same thing next weekend. Hours are listed on the eShop entry.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
When can we hunt pokemon monsters?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pindakaas posted:

You don't have the balls

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's very weird to hear conversations about exclusives for different consoles as if the decision to be an exclusive were just a market share issue. "Oh there are more PS4s so they will definitely be a Sony exclusive." Are we forgetting the hundreds of millions these companies pay for the rights to exclusivity? The quality of a device or even sales of a console are often a secondary or beyond factor in deciding whether to be exclusive or not. Nintendo could theoretically pay a higher fee to get Monster Hunter as an exclusive for example and it won't have anything to do with Switch sales relative to other systems.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Pindakaas posted:

I assume Monster Hunter will get a collaboration with every Japanese IP known to man before they ever find a way to make a Pokemon Monster Hunter because the brand really doesn't want people to think about carving up the carcasses of slain Pokes.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's very weird to hear conversations about exclusives for different consoles as if the decision to be an exclusive were just a market share issue. "Oh there are more PS4s so they will definitely be a Sony exclusive." Are we forgetting the hundreds of millions these companies pay for the rights to exclusivity? The quality of a device or even sales of a console are often a secondary or beyond factor in deciding whether to be exclusive or not. Nintendo could theoretically pay a higher fee to get Monster Hunter as an exclusive for example and it won't have anything to do with Switch sales relative to other systems.

This is a good point. Because Sony wants to try and recapture more of the Japanese audience when faced with competition from the Switch. However, Capcom wants more of the western market while Sony wants to entice more in Japan and away from the Switch.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I assume Monster Hunter will get a collaboration with every Japanese IP known to man before they ever find a way to make a Pokemon Monster Hunter because the brand really doesn't want people to think about carving up the carcasses of slain Pokes.

I'd sell my first born for that. Hunting Slowpokes to use their tails to make a new lance, only to find myself screwed when I try to take on a Nidoking with friends.

But yeah, Monster Hunter XX would be a day one purchase for me.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

Switch doesn't have a large install base yet, they have generations being ported over to the Switch, and Capcom wants to focus on the Western Market with a new MH and have a large install base to target at the same time to make the most of their effort in a newly developed game. They hit almost 5 million with generations on 3DS - and are shifting target markets and dedicating two teams moving forward to target both markets. It doesn't mean there won't be a switch version of a new MH game, but MH5 will not be that game.

Oh yeah I bet they're really aiming for that part of the market that owns neither a Switch nor a 3ds, is totally into monster hunter and wants to play it only at home

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Hey known dumbass troll what do you think ha ha"

*bunch of dumb words from known dumbass*

*argues with dumbass*

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'm the baseless speculation about corporate sales strategy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
nintendo's sky rocketing stock price is actually them dying

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The Switch will be 100% dead in less than 10 years

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I predict Nintendo will make a video game

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think Konami and Nintendo need to work together to make a game where Dracula's castle has appeared on the surface of Zebes. Samus and Alucard arrive on the scene and have to work together to explore the castle, only later to find that the castle has grown downward into the depths of Zebes.

Metroidvania. Make it happen, Nintendo!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The new Castlevania American Netflix anime looks weird

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kashuno posted:

The new Castlevania American Netflix anime looks weird

That and apparently they're doing a Witcher series. What a time to be alive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hosed up, if true.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Are you including the New Switch XL in this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So will civilisation

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm almost certain this question is asked constantly, but I just picked up a Switch today, and was looking for a hardshell case.

Looking at the RDS case or this one.

I'm open to other ones, but was wondering if anyone here had experience with or preference between the two.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjTzc7EH4I
Anyone post this yet? Extremely my poo poo

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm done with Zelda and Mario Kart, so what's next?

I keep seeing Shovel Knight being praised but honestly playing these 8-bit throwback games just makes me depressed because it's the kind of poo poo I would have LOVED as a kid but now it just makes me angry because I suck at platformers.

I like the concept of Disgaea as this long-term SRPG, but past attempts at getting into it on the Vita left me aggravated at how unbearably ~anime~ it is. Is whatever this one on the Switch better/worse?

Should I just shelf my Switch until...something else comes out? :smith:

I bought this one and it seems to work fine for me to drop it into my bag and it holds up/seems to protect it well. The only thing I don't like with all of these is the little elastic straps that you're supposed to slip your Switch into, I find they just get in the way because the cases are so form fitted that I have to kind of tilt the case almost upside down, then fiddle with the strap to pull it out a bit so I can then grab the switch, pull the elastic out of the way, then do the same on the other side. Now I just sit my Switch on top of the elastics, and probably will just cut them out.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 26, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjTzc7EH4I
Anyone post this yet? Extremely my poo poo

idk what I just watched but holy gently caress it looks fun

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm done with Zelda and Mario Kart, so what's next?

I keep seeing Shovel Knight being praised but honestly playing this 8-bit throwback games just makes me depressed because it's the kind of poo poo I would have LOVED as a kid but now it just makes me angry because I suck at platformers.

I like the concept of Disgaea as this long-term SRPG, but past attempts at getting into it on the Vita left me aggravated at how unbearably ~anime~ it is. Is whatever this one on the Switch better/worse?

Should I just shelf my Switch until...something else comes out? :smith:

Blaster Master 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

The amount of anime is the same.

• Locked thread