Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

There were slaves in the north too, btw. Slavery wasn't so much abolished in the north as fazed out by child labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Peanut President posted:

There were slaves in the north too, btw. Slavery wasn't so much abolished in the north as fazed out by child labor.
And wage slavery!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Apparently before migration was an accepted fact there were two competing schools of thought as to what happened to the birds during the winter. The rather outlandish idea that they simply went somewhere else more accommodating and the much more grounded idea that birds were actually a type of fish and hibernated in the bottom of bodies of water. There were quite a few experiments to prove that birds weren't fish, and some of them were rather clever like attaching strings dyed with a water soluble dye to them and checking the color when they returned. Others were a bit more plain like drowning some birds in a pond to show they couldn't survive underwater.

And migration was only accepted as fact when someone in Africa tried to kill a stork: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeilstorch

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

And migration was only accepted as fact when someone in Africa tried to kill a stork: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeilstorch

So they knew how to identify an arrow from central Africa but had no idea storks could go there?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Migrating birds are believed by many historians to be how viking explorers found their way to the New World - they saw flocks of birds heading out across the ocean during migration, and some adventurous vikings decided to follow the migrating birds and see where they were going.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cythereal posted:

Migrating birds are believed by many historians to be how viking explorers found their way to the New World - they saw flocks of birds heading out across the ocean during migration, and some adventurous vikings decided to follow the migrating birds and see where they were going.
That's sick as hell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chitoryu12 posted:

It's also why we seemingly can't get anything done. Every region is completely different from every other region in terms of climate, culture, and local politics. Getting everyone to agree on something is more like getting the EU to agree on something.
I think this gets kind of overblown although it may be more true in a few hundred years. The great majority of the US's territory was settled by whites in the last two hundred years, which is bupkis, historically. (Of course other people were there previously, but outside of Hawaii I don't think they constitute a large proportion of any state or region's population at present.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The EU has a lot of historical baggage making things weird, but even beyond the rural/urban divides there's very different sociopolitical situations in like NYC vs Chicago vs Houston vs LA or Bumfuck, Midwest vs Bumfuck, South vs Bumfuck, West. The US was recently settled in the grand scheme but it's a weird situation where it was settled in degrees with different immigration policies for different growth spurts and with a federated government that leaves the states just enough rope to hang themselves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

It might not seem that way from the outside, but it is pretty significant out here.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zedprime posted:

The US was recently settled in the grand scheme but it's a weird situation where it was settled in degrees with different immigration policies for different growth spurts and with a federated government that leaves the states just enough rope to hang themselves.

And others, occasionally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Byzantine posted:

And others, occasionally.
:drat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I looked it up.

The last person a U.S. state hanged was William Bailey, by Delaware, in 1996.

Hanging is still an option for persons sentenced to death in Washington state or New Hampshire.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:38 on May 27, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I looked it up.

The last person a U.S. state hanged was William Bailey, by Delaware, in 1996.
I envy your idealistic worldview where you assume we mean legally-sanctioned executions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PMush Perfect posted:

I envy your idealistic worldview where you assume we mean legally-sanctioned executions.

Extrajudicial lynching is more biting interpretation, but the original wording did have the states doing the hanging.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Extrajudicial lynching is more biting interpretation, but the original wording did have the states doing the hanging.
Considering racism and slavery were a key part of the discussion...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PMush Perfect posted:

I’m a Thomasonian jurist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Leif Erikson was actually inspired to go exploring by Bjarni Herjólfsson, who accidentally discovered New Foundland when he was trying to sail to Greenland. Leif talked to Bjarni and even bought his ship before he followed his route to the New World.

In other historical fun facts:
South African scientists have discovered that 400-year-old tobacco pipes excavated from the garden of William Shakespeare contained cannabis, suggesting the playwright might have written some of his famous works while high.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah but they probably had some weak poo poo.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

well, at least we know they weren't falsely accused.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah but they probably had some weak poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhyKEK-CDg

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Falsely accused of what

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Leif Erikson was actually inspired to go exploring by Bjarni Herjólfsson, who accidentally discovered New Foundland when he was trying to sail to Greenland. Leif talked to Bjarni and even bought his ship before he followed his route to the New World.

In other historical fun facts:
South African scientists have discovered that 400-year-old tobacco pipes excavated from the garden of William Shakespeare contained cannabis, suggesting the playwright might have written some of his famous works while high.

I'll never, ever stop laughing about people talking about smoking pot or doing drugs ruining society as if it's a modern thing. People have been getting high as long as there have been people. Same with alcohol; humans love booze and people who don't drink are the exception.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Same with alcohol; humans love booze and people who don't drink are the exception.

I guess

How Beer Gave Us Civilization

They're too whimsical about this-- they refer to a dark side (addiction, organ damage, violence), but they don't connect that to the massive social changes that constitute "civilization," like formalized land ownership, caste, and hierarchy. The description of ancient laws almost gets at this. When you consider the drinking cultures of feudal Europe-- Germans and Russians in particular, "drinking is the pleasure of all Rus"-- and the role of alcohol in the European invasion of the Americas, it really looks like class-based agrarian civilization uses addiction/intoxication to pull people in and keep them in their role.

But in doing this, society is exploiting a real need we already have. So to criticize it seems puritanical and fake, like I'm nostalgic for prohibition or I just quit drinking and have a Thing about it now. So, like, I don't know, man.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Even animals love getting hosed up on fermented fruit. Dolphins will deliberately mess around with pufferfish so they can get high as gently caress off the venom.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slime posted:

Even animals love getting hosed up on fermented fruit. Dolphins will deliberately mess around with pufferfish so they can get high as gently caress off the venom.

Yep. All sorts of apes do it, and even elephants.

Here's an interesting study done on the 'alcoholic monkeys' that steal drinks on resort islands. The study found that their drinking habits and the breakdown of casual/binge/non-drinking monkeys was closely similar to that of humans.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Between 1975-1980, The Yorkshire Ripper killed 13 women.

In 1978, George Oldfield -- the chief constable heading up the case -- began receiving taunting letters signed, "Jack the Ripper".

In 1979, the letter writer sent a cassette. On it, a man with a thick Geordie accent berated Oldfield and the police in a monotone. This led to £1 million publicity campaign, "Dial-the-Ripper" hotlines (where people could call a number to help identify the owner of the voice), and police going door-to-door with tape players.

It turned out to be a hoax, perpetrated by a disgruntled ex-cop with a grudge against Oldfield. Unfortunately, nobody knew this for certain until Peter Sutcliffe was finally arrested, so Wearside Jack wasted thousands of man hours, cost the department lots of money, and provided a certain amount of "cover" for one of the most notorious serial murderers of the 20th century, perhaps allowing him to stay on the loose an additional year and a half. For this, the hoaxer spent eight years in prison.

But the "fun" part of this fact is that the cassette message ended with a snippet of a song. You might recognize the tune.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

swamp waste posted:

I guess

How Beer Gave Us Civilization

They're too whimsical about this-- they refer to a dark side (addiction, organ damage, violence), but they don't connect that to the massive social changes that constitute "civilization," like formalized land ownership, caste, and hierarchy. The description of ancient laws almost gets at this. When you consider the drinking cultures of feudal Europe-- Germans and Russians in particular, "drinking is the pleasure of all Rus"-- and the role of alcohol in the European invasion of the Americas, it really looks like class-based agrarian civilization uses addiction/intoxication to pull people in and keep them in their role.

But in doing this, society is exploiting a real need we already have. So to criticize it seems puritanical and fake, like I'm nostalgic for prohibition or I just quit drinking and have a Thing about it now. So, like, I don't know, man.

My ceramics professor in college argues that booze was probably what inspired people to farm and settle down. In the wild, when humans aren't numbering beyond a few million, there's plenty of land and you can gather and hunt basically anything you need. Wandering hunter/gatherers weren't the starving, emaciated cavemen we like to think they were. You can do quite well on just gathering if you have enough raw area. You can't however always find enough stuff to make booze. Enough to eat sure but enough to get your drunk on? No.

The first domesticated crop was barley. Which is used to make booze. There's no way to prove it but he thinks that this also relates to inventing ceramics. You need heat and a container to make booze. Clay resists heat pretty well so people probably made pots out of clay, dried them, then made booze. Then they noticed that clay gets harder once you put fire to it.

He also frequently complains that nobody in the history or archaeology world seems to want to talk to actual ceramicists about their craft. A lot of the techniques still used today are thousands of years old and relatively unchanged.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 00:04 on May 28, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

budgieinspector posted:

Between 1975-1980, The Yorkshire Ripper killed 13 women.

In 1978, George Oldfield -- the chief constable heading up the case -- began receiving taunting letters signed, "Jack the Ripper".

In 1979, the letter writer sent a cassette. On it, a man with a thick Geordie accent berated Oldfield and the police in a monotone. This led to £1 million publicity campaign, "Dial-the-Ripper" hotlines (where people could call a number to help identify the owner of the voice), and police going door-to-door with tape players.

It turned out to be a hoax, perpetrated by a disgruntled ex-cop with a grudge against Oldfield. Unfortunately, nobody knew this for certain until Peter Sutcliffe was finally arrested, so Wearside Jack wasted thousands of man hours, cost the department lots of money, and provided a certain amount of "cover" for one of the most notorious serial murderers of the 20th century, perhaps allowing him to stay on the loose an additional year and a half. For this, the hoaxer spent eight years in prison.

Oh, I didn't know that issue if Hellblazer was based on real events.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My ceramics professor in college argues that booze was probably what inspired people to farm and settle down. In the wild, when humans aren't numbering beyond a few million, there's plenty of land and you can gather and hunt basically anything you need. Wandering hunter/gatherers weren't the starving, emaciated cavemen we like to think they were. You can do quite well on just gathering if you have enough raw area. You can't however always find enough stuff to make booze. Enough to eat sure but enough to get your drunk on? No.

The first domesticated crop was barley. Which is used to make booze. There's no way to prove it but he thinks that this also relates to inventing ceramics. You need heat and a container to make booze. Clay resists head pretty well so people probably made pots out of clay, dried them, then made booze. Then they noticed that clay gets harder once you put fire to it.

He also frequently complains that nobody in the history or archaeology world seems to want to talk to actual ceramicists about their craft. A lot of the techniques still used today are thousands of years old and relatively unchanged.

Yeah exactly. I'm just saying there's an element of coercion to that. "We have all the stuff you need and like, right here, I own it and my crew protects it, and if you don't give us our cut of whatever you grow on it we will kill you with a spear"

In the Americas you can see a pattern over a long time, where the smaller less settled nations kind of like being proximal to "civilization," they like being able to trade or fight for its stuff, but they really do not want to be under its thumb and be the actual guys laboring in the fields and wearing dumb pilgrim clothes and humbly kneeling before jesus to beg forgiveness for existing. But that proximity always bleeds them out over time; the settlers always eventually go, hey, do you really Need all that good land with all that lumber and healthy soil and buffalo and whatever? And yeah, they actually do need it, for exactly the reason you said.

But the settlers, well, there just keep being more of them, and more and more money and guns and resources invested in them doing more and more of what they do. So they either just take it by force, OR they flood the native economy with stuff that people want (alcohol being a big one here) but can only afford by trading away the land that allows them to live their way of life. It's still happening, too, like with lumber in the Amazon. You can see its long term legacy with oil and water in the Dakotas, coal and uranium in Navajoland. The tribes have a lot more legal protections now, but there's a lot of money to be made violating those (e.g. illegal militarized lumber camps in Brazil) or buying and selling permission to break them (e.g. Standing Rock, Black Mesa). The natives, even if they successfully appeal to the government to defend them, become increasingly reliant on a system that they have little to no power in.

I'm oversimplifying here. but all im sayin is it's not just, ah, the march of progress! It's people going from precarious but free to poor and addicted, on a big rear end scale.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh, I didn't know that issue if Hellblazer was based on real events.

Which issue? I used to love that series, but I don't remember one about the Sutcliffe case.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

budgieinspector posted:

Which issue? I used to love that series, but I don't remember one about the Sutcliffe case.

It's been a decade, but there is one issue which revolves around not-Wearside Jack and the not-Yorkshire Ripper investigation. Instead of going Into early retirement, the detective in charge slits his wrists. Somewhere in the 100s if the serues, probably. I'm pretty sure it was written well before the real guy was found, because he's described as "the most evil man in Britain" or something like that.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 11:31 on May 28, 2017

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The first domesticated crop was barley. Which is used to make booze. There's no way to prove it but he thinks that this also relates to inventing ceramics. You need heat and a container to make booze. Clay resists heat pretty well so people probably made pots out of clay, dried them, then made booze. Then they noticed that clay gets harder once you put fire to it.

The earliest surviving ceramics are from Dolni Vestonice. They date to 22000--26000 years ago. They aren't bowls, but little figurines.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

The earliest surviving ceramics are from Dolni Vestonice. They date to 22000--26000 years ago. They aren't bowls, but little figurines.

My god. The ancients had anime figurines.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

zedprime posted:

The EU has a lot of historical baggage making things weird, but even beyond the rural/urban divides there's very different sociopolitical situations in like NYC vs Chicago vs Houston vs LA or Bumfuck, Midwest vs Bumfuck, South vs Bumfuck, West. The US was recently settled in the grand scheme but it's a weird situation where it was settled in degrees with different immigration policies for different growth spurts and with a federated government that leaves the states just enough rope to hang themselves.

Let's not forget that most of the initial settlers were Europeans of some kind or another, who hated other kinds of Europeans for some reason or another stretching back to the fall of Rome. In many cases the reasons have been forgotten but the hate remains. My grandma told me to never trust an Englishman because her grandma told her to never trust an Englishman.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

So they knew how to identify an arrow from central Africa but had no idea storks could go there?

They might of known there were storks there, but no way of knowing they were the same storks. Plus when On the Origin of Species rolled around there was large element of, "Lick my nuts and assholes Charles Darwin! Birds are actually door mice, what do you think about that?"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Until the late 19th C, doctors believed that, if they touched your beating heart, it would stop.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Khazar-khum posted:

Until the late 19th C, doctors believed that, if they touched your beating heart, it would stop.

The entire story of Vivien Thomas and how he rose above the racial prejudice of the mid-1900's is one hell of a story on it's own. Thomas was assistant to the surgeon Alfred Blalock, and together they (mostly Thomas) pioneered heart surgery techniques used today.

Of particular note in my mind was when Blalock was granted to do the first 'open heart' type surgeries, but couldnt do the surgery alone without his trust assistant. Vivien wasn't actually allowed to touch the man because he himself was black. The issue, you see, was that in the past Thomas had done ALL the experimental lab work and thus his mentor Blalock had no clue what to actually do.

They got around this by having Thomas stand above the operating theater just over Blalock's shoulder, talking him through every cut and move.

Sawbones actually just covered him, and it was a very enjoyable episode.

http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sawbones-vivien-thomas

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 03:23 on May 30, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, depending on what kind of timescale you're operating on...

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
On this day in 1903, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle caught fire. He was at Lord's when a cricket ball struck the box of matches in his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When prohibition came to America there was a growing, relatively new wine industry in California. Prohibition obviously caused...problems...for the vineyards. The grapes you eat are not the same type of grapes you turn into wine, generally speaking. There's some overlap; some varieties are used for both wine and food. Others are used for one or the other. Depends but that isn't really all that relevant.

The thing is...what the gently caress were vineyards going to do with poo poo loads of wine grapes? Well, some of them just got turned into juice. Suddenly there were many wine companies producing juice. This was totally fine; juice was legal! Others just sold the wine grapes and they totally had no control over what people did with them and I swear they're just eating them, ok? Well sort of; they had to switch to grapes that would survive hauling rather than just being turned into wine on site.

The best ones, though? The smart ones? They had a different trick. They'd bottle up the juice that would normally become wine, sell it as "grape juice", and give it a label that read something to the effect of "whatever you do don't set this in the back of a dusty cupboard for a few months. That would make this turn into wine and wine is illegal! So don't do that. Seriously. Just don't, OK?"