Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look at that little thug. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Prisoner Acquitted Of Escape After Prosecutors Can’t Prove Location of Prison

https://woub.org/2017/05/24/prisoner-acquitted-of-escape-after-prosecutors-cant-prove-location-of-prison/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Oz reboot is surreal.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kevin Smith the Lions running back was pretty useless too. Would you rather be the leading rusher on the worst football team of all time or a popular animal that never gets horny?

I vaguely remember not long after he was drafted a reporter asking him if he knew that the Lions had only won a single playoff game since 1957 and you could almost see the light go out of his eyes

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

It's illegal to escape from prison? :psyduck:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catberry posted:

It's illegal to escape from prison? :psyduck:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Now, I think there's a lost opportunity on the police part here.

They should take out the drug, put a nice GPS tracker in, and let the bird "go home".

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

whiteyfats posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Yeah. It's a disciplinary matter here. Imprisoning someone is already borderline illegal and making it illegal to pursue your own freedom is questionable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catberry posted:

Yeah. It's a disciplinary matter here. Imprisoning someone is already borderline illegal and making it illegal to pursue your own freedom is questionable.

Yes, convicted murderers escaping should just be laughed off, I guess.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Catberry posted:

that sounds exactly like the kind of thing you say when you are completely isolated from criminals.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume it's a sixteen-year-old going through their 'burn the prisons!!' anarchism phase. We've all been there, be a little indulgent.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

whiteyfats posted:

Yes, convicted murderers escaping should just be laughed off, I guess.

No you just put them back in. Which you do regardless.

As opposed to start carting them around town while running them through a bunch of trials to then in the end put them back in prison again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Catberry posted:

No you just put them back in. Which you do regardless.

As opposed to start carting them around town while running them through a bunch of trials to then in the end put them back in prison again.

It's illegal to break out of prison because they usually don't give the warden the mandatory two weeks notice of vacating their cell. The warden has the right to look for a replacement criminal and to take care of any repairs/maintenance the previous criminal did in the cell prior to vacating it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's illegal to break out of prison because they usually don't give the warden the mandatory two weeks notice of vacating their cell. The warden has the right to look for a replacement criminal and to take care of any repairs/maintenance the previous criminal did in the cell prior to vacating it.

You should see the CCRs in prison these days.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

oh no frodo!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
German metalheads construct beer pipeline for Wacken

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, what? Scientist discovers snakes that hunt in packs

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/wait-what-scientist-discovers-snakes-that-hunt-in-packs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clever girl

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Catberry posted:

It's illegal to disobey a court order. A prison sentence is a court order. It's not unreasonable to treat as purely a disciplinary thing, but it's also totally consistent to treat as a crime. I can understand not knowing this is how the US handles it, and lord knows there's lots of hosed up stuff in the American penal system, but it's bizarre to me that you think this is worthy of a psyduck.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's illegal to disobey a court order. A prison sentence is a court order. It's not unreasonable to treat as purely a disciplinary thing, but it's also totally consistent to treat as a crime. I can understand not knowing this is how the US handles it, and lord knows there's lots of hosed up stuff in the American penal system, but it's bizarre to me that you think this is worthy of a psyduck.

It just seems like a weird way to handle it as opposed to just putting them back in prison. Unless they hurt someone obviously.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Catberry posted:

It just seems like a weird way to handle it as opposed to just putting them back in prison. Unless they hurt someone obviously.

As a disincentive to escape prison, fundamentally. Which makes prison more manageable for the state since people aren't always constantly trying escape since there would be literally no downside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

You jest, but in Mexico escaping from prison isn’t illegal, but escapees can be charged with theft of the orange jumpsuit on their back.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You jest, but in Mexico escaping from prison isn’t illegal, but escapees can be charged with theft of the orange jumpsuit on their back.

And if they leave it behind they'll be guilty of public indecency. They just can't win!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brainbread posted:

As a disincentive to escape prison, fundamentally. Which makes prison more manageable for the state since people aren't always constantly trying escape since there would be literally no downside.

Why not just put them back in prison and give them a disciplinary punishment? Seems like a waste of time and money to run them through a trial for it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why not just put them back in prison and give them a disciplinary punishment? Seems like a waste of time and money to run them through a trial for it.

Because the legal system is an ad hoc hodgepodge of statutes, precedents​, and traditions that accumulated over the course of two centuries and change, and there's zero incentive for politicians to spend time, money, and political capital fixing it just to save what amounts to pocket change on the relatively rare occasions someone escapes?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe there is a limit on the punishments the prison staff are allowed it impose? Letting prisons, especially private prisons, add substantially to an inmate's sentence without providing any kind of evidence or or judicial oversight could be abused. Prison staff can effect the time an inmate serves based on their reports to the parole board, but that's different than being able to unilaterally add 5 years to the sentence for additional crimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why do we even have courts? 🤔

What a waste of time ⁊ money.

Binding arbitration for all, IMO.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

That still sounds slow. Just make a Wheel of Justice! You get accused of a crime and go spin the wheel. Maybe you'll go free, maybe you'll get a fine, maybe jail, maybe death. It's is in God's hands now, and He knows what you deserve.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

gently caress that, the search for justice should be decided mano a pata, hand to paw, man vs.dog in a battle for freedom. Winner goes free, loser gets et.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Read the post I responded to and try again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Read the post I responded to and try again.

no

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
According to the noted documentary Seven Days in Hell, if you escape from prison in Sweden you are legally free.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Naked man caught on video trying to hide a statue of a swan worth about $25,000

""Look folks. Where are you going to hide a five-foot tall, checkered swan? If someone's harboring this swan and not telling us, we're going to put them in jail. And we hope when we find them, they have clothes on," Judd said."

http://abcnews4.com/news/offbeat/naked-man-caught-on-video-trying-to-hide-a-statue-of-a-swan-worth-about-25000

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's your follow up article on GIANT PANDA SEX.

9 things you never wanted to know about giant panda sex (but we asked anyway)

http://wtop.com/science/2017/05/9-things-never-wanted-know-panda-sex-asked-anyway/slide/1/

I tried urine hoping once, but it was after I downed six beers and I failed to mate too.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's your follow up article on GIANT PANDA SEX.

9 things you never wanted to know about giant panda sex (but we asked anyway)

http://wtop.com/science/2017/05/9-things-never-wanted-know-panda-sex-asked-anyway/slide/1/

I tried urine hoping once, but it was after I downed six beers and I failed to mate too.

They sound like a made up animal on like Adventure Time that the main characters would get saddled with raising or taking care of cause they suck so bad

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Eating the wrong things, pissing in public, loving up the simple act of loving.
How aren't 🐼 the official animal of the something awful forums?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

People seem to like them for some reason and find them cute?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's no excuse, people still find Shmorky cute.
Until they get educated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Pandas have more sex than goons.