Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
where's the i, claudius BotM thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

where's the i, claudius BotM thread

In my heart, forever

Also it'll go up tonight I've just been slack, pologies

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is there anywhere on the internet that you guys know of that compiles and points out awesome book deals? I like just buying stuff on a whim when it's like $3 and then having a bunch of poo poo in hand for when I need a book.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I am not a lawyer, but I believe that the books that you get from internet deals advertised by Pinterest blogs are the books you should be reading

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quandary posted:

Is there anywhere on the internet that you guys know of that compiles and points out awesome book deals? I like just buying stuff on a whim when it's like $3 and then having a bunch of poo poo in hand for when I need a book.

If you just want to build up a huge backlog and don't care about anything except price, I'd recommend following the Humble Bundle deals since you can usually get five or more books for a buck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The best overall bargain on books is the Kindle. Buy a kindle, then download literally everything that's out of copyright.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best overall bargain on books is the Kindle. Buy a kindle, then download literally everything that's out of copyright.

what if I want to read good books tho

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Then you're in luck because everything good is out of copyright

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

Then you're in luck because everything good is out of copyright

If I want to read children prattling about on insignificant distractions I will read pre-20th century literature

If I want to read something valuable I will start in 1914

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Ras Het posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that the books that you get from internet deals advertised by Pinterest blogs are the books you should be reading

Well, I mean good books. I know a lot of time Amazon will have super cheap deals on reasonable ebooks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

BookGorilla.com for ebook deals (mainly Kindle). They update every day by 10AM (EST).

Every day there's at least one good book that is on sale that Amazon won't advertise.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Not quite what you want but Tor gives out a free ebook every month for a week or so. This month just started and it's Fire Upon the Deep.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I want to read children prattling about on insignificant distractions I will read pre-20th century literature

If I want to read something valuable I will start in 1914

That leaves you with everything from 1914 to 1930 not counting lapsed copyrights

Besides, speaking of prattling, why are you reading anything that isn't Tristram Shandy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Speaking of 1914, I've read a bunch of incredible war poems from ww1 but I don't really know any more recent ones. Any recommendations?

Found this website, but ehhh
http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/Afghanistan_War_Poetry.html

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

Speaking of 1914, I've read a bunch of incredible war poems from ww1 but I don't really know any more recent ones. Any recommendations?

Found this website, but ehhh
http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/Afghanistan_War_Poetry.html

Here, Bullet by Brian Turner is a good more recent collection from someone who fought in Iraq.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

for physical books I've really taken a liking to book depository. It has a pretty extensive selection (the only place I actually found anything Anne Garréta) and they have really good prices + free shipping

they're based in the UK though, so if you live across the atlantic it might be slower than amazon and whatever else you use over there.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 12, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also, a great vantage point over Dealey Plaza

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ulvir posted:

for physical books I've really taken a liking to book depository. It has a pretty extensive selection (the only place I actually found anything Anne Garréta) and they have really good prices + free shipping

they're based in the UK though, so if you live across the atlantic it might be slower than amazon and whatever else you use over there.

yea ive noticed their selection is huge as well. I usually just sort amazon by price and buy whatever comes out on top though.

Mover posted:

Here, Bullet by Brian Turner is a good more recent collection from someone who fought in Iraq.

Thanks! Noted :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulvir posted:

To chime in, BD actually has really fast shipping for a retailer based in the UK. I usually get books from them within two weeks (living on the east coast of the US). Compare that to other UK-based bookstores, where it can take up to six weeks (and you're still paying for this awfully slow shipping) or the shipping charge is as much, or more, than the book itself (though in this situation you tend to get the book within a week or two).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm staying in a cabin in North Carolina, and the book selection here is amazing. I read part of Flatland this afternoon, now I'm reading poems by T.S. Eliot, but other notables are Wilde, Thomas L. Friedman, Melville, Bao Ninh, a collection of several Richard Brautigan novels, Kerouac, Borges, Goethe, Flaubert, Khalifeh, Hemingway, Dickens, and Kafka.

I'm used to Tom Clancy's filling up the shelves of vacation spots.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

For Kindle, freereadfeed.com is the place to go for free books. You'll have to dig, but I can usually finds something that interests me.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i had a nightmare once that i was trapped in a remote cabin with nothing but tom friedman books

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has anyone purchased from ebookmar.com before? I've got most of the Wheel of Time series in paperback versions and would like to get the whole series in mobi for my kindle and they're charging $100 less than anywhere else I've seen it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I know this has been asked before, but which translation of War and Peace would book goons recommend?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Enfys posted:

I know this has been asked before, but which translation of War and Peace would book goons recommend?

I read this version and had no troubles with it. the maude's are supposed to be good, too

avoid overly cheap versions as it's like 100% chance it's Constance Garnett, which is the same translation that's in public domain

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 28, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I really liked the Pevear and Volokhonsky version.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Enfys posted:

I really liked the Anthony Briggs version, eminently readable and just drat captivating (but that might just be Tolstoy).

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
About halfway through World Without End after having read Pillars of the Earth a few years ago.

I can't really remember the style of Pillars, but I know it was written twenty years previous -- is Follett always this schlocky? Some parts are almost GRRM-esque.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im a newbie here so please be nice.

Can anyone recommend a good alternate history book? It doesn't have to be a story, per se. I would be just fine with a collection of essays about various "what if" scenarios throughout history (What if Carthage defeated Rome, What if the South won the Civil War, what if JFK wasn't assassinated, that sort of thing).

I know it's kind of cheesy but I would love a book like that to take with me on a long car trip in a few weeks. Suggestions?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Niall Ferguson edited a book like that called Virtual History. If you have time also check out the critique that Richard Evans wrote of counterfactual historical writing, Altered Pasts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Your Taint posted:

Can anyone recommend a good alternate history book? It doesn't have to be a story, per se. I would be just fine with a collection of essays about various "what if" scenarios throughout history (What if Carthage defeated Rome, What if the South won the Civil War, what if JFK wasn't assassinated, that sort of thing).

I know it's kind of cheesy but I would love a book like that to take with me on a long car trip in a few weeks. Suggestions?

years of salt and rice is the only good alt history novel i know of, so read that one

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

corn in the bible posted:

years of salt and rice is the only good alt history novel i know of, so read that one

But if you do read that one make sure to look for The Years of Rice and Salt after that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFNPG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Taint posted:

The Man in the High Castle

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
harry turtledove's the guns of the south, which poses the question 'what if time-traveling afrikaners gave the confederacy AK-47s'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

harry turtledove's the guns of the south, which poses the question 'what if time-traveling afrikaners gave the confederacy AK-47s'

A history professor I knew recommended this book and that's when I started to suspect he was a horrible racist

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

the trump tutelage posted:

About halfway through World Without End after having read Pillars of the Earth a few years ago.

I can't really remember the style of Pillars, but I know it was written twenty years previous -- is Follett always this schlocky? Some parts are almost GRRM-esque.

To answer your question: yes. I read Pillars of the Earth a few years ago and it was super schlock. I.e. the main character’s wife dies and 3 pages later he's having sex with a beautiful stranger, you know all the villains are wicked because they rape a lot, etc

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Yiddish Policemen's Union is good alt-history.

1. It isn't shlocky
2. It isn't advancing an agenda
3. It creates a world that feels lived-in and real
4. It's actually well written

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is good alt-history.

1. It isn't shlocky
2. It isn't advancing an agenda
3. It creates a world that feels lived-in and real
4. It's actually well written

I picked up that book on a daily deal and really liked it. I haven't read any of his other novels but I intend to pick up the Adventures of Kavalier & Clay in the future.

I saw HBO streaming has the movie The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and I remembered I'd picked up the book on a sale ages ago so I thought I'd read through it before checking out the movie, and it is an odd duck. It's like a biography interspersed with a novel, and doesn't know which one it wants to be. While I don't dislike it, I'd rather have the book be more focused on one than the other, as it interrupts with the flow as it goes from a dialogue scene to pages of history of one of his exploits and back again.

I'd read another book-into-movie recently, Little Big Man, and it was great; funny, witty, sometimes depressingly sad, the novel was better than the movie and the movie was great as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Your Taint posted:

I quite enjoyed The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling. The premise is that the northern hemisphere is ravaged by meteor strikes in the mid-19th century, and the British government relocates to India. The story is about a British cavalryman investigates a plot against the Raj. It's something of a tribute to Edwardian adventure fiction but I don't think it was too racist (though it probably is - I was maybe 16 when I read it so I wouldn't have realised). Harry Turtledove's How Few Remain is fine as a standalone novel about the Second American Civil War in 1882. The series that spins out of it isn't terribly good, though.

One thing I'd recommend if you're interested in post-war British politics is the oeuvre of a company called Sea Lion Press, which goes in for that kind of thing. It ranges a bit in terms of subject matter: they have one where Britain in the 1980s is shifted 250 years back in time, and one which I particularly enjoyed which basically shuffled every prime minister since 1945 so they all serve their terms in different orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

do not ever read harry turtledove goddamn