Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

haha that lefthand/righthand mixup. snikt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Although speaking of cool shortcuts, Metallic Madness Zone 2 has one of the all-time best.

Yeah. This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA&t=1661s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Im really mad because I just realized sonic cd came out like 25 years ago and there's never been a game that recreates/reimagines its own intro section in gameplay

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Im really mad because I just realized sonic cd came out like 25 years ago and there's never been a game that recreates/reimagines its own intro section in gameplay

Sonic Colors intro was the gameplay. I'd say that's pretty close.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oops sorry I worded that bad I meant own as in specifically recreates sonic cd's ownage intro

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think about Sonic cd's intro every day

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

beep by grandpa posted:

everyone does

its good

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

i live it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

every day I open palm slam a tape into a player, it's You Can Do Anything. I do every move alongside my hero Sonic the Hedgehog

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I want to play a version of Sonic CD that has the JP soundtrack except the intro and ending are Sonic Boom.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Same, but letting me pick from the loads of cheeseball Sega CD vocal tracks out there. It's swiiingtiiiime, bring on the big guns!

El Mido fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 29, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mikedawson posted:

I want to play a version of Sonic CD that has the JP soundtrack except the intro and ending are Sonic Boom.

that's easy to do with the steam version. just rename video files

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mikedawson posted:

I want to play a version of Sonic CD that has the JP soundtrack

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Sonic CD soundtrack is really good regardless of region, but holy god I can't bring myself to actually play it. If I'm gonna play an old Sonic game, it's gotta be Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Shame they replace the awesome Sonic 3 miniboss theme though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Sonic CD soundtrack is really good regardless of region, but holy god I can't bring myself to actually play it.

It's okay to have bad opinions

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Sonic CD soundtrack is really good regardless of region, but holy god I can't bring myself to actually play it. If I'm gonna play an old Sonic game, it's gotta be Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Shame they replace the awesome Sonic 3 miniboss theme though.
Sonic 3 Complete allows you to fix that, among other things.

I'm on my third playthrough of complete, it's real good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't stress enough how pushing Flying Battery back so it sits in between Carnival Night and Ice Cap helps with pacing. You get all the good zones while you're pumped up and ready to tackle a bunch of levels, then you just get Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis and Lava Reef with a focus on gaining the super emeralds so you aren't burned out in the second half before they start escalating everything for the finale.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Y'all are making me want to play through S3C for the millionth time. What an astounding piece of work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does sonic 3 complete run on real hardware or just in an emulator?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It runs on an emulator. Presumably if you had the means to do so you could flash the rom to a cart and play it on an actual Mega Drive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't stress enough how pushing Flying Battery back so it sits in between Carnival Night and Ice Cap helps with pacing. You get all the good zones while you're pumped up and ready to tackle a bunch of levels, then you just get Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis and Lava Reef with a focus on gaining the super emeralds so you aren't burned out in the second half before they start escalating everything for the finale.

I could never find any bonus levels in Sandopolis (or Flying Battery). I remember having to scour the entirety of Lava Reef to get enough emeralds.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does sonic 3 complete run on real hardware or just in an emulator?

It works on real hardware, too. I played through it with an Everdrive and had zero issues.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Schwarzwald posted:

I could never find any bonus levels in Sandopolis (or Flying Battery). I remember having to scour the entirety of Lava Reef to get enough emeralds.

Sandopolis has a bunch, particularly in the first act; Flying Battery has very few and if you're Sonic you might struggle to find them

Mushroom Hill has a shitload of em, mostly out in the open and one after the other. Getting all the emeralds before Flying Battery is a cinch.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 31, 2017

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
"Ok gonna find all the Super Rings in Mushroom Hill and.. oh their we go I'm super/hyper Sonic now best enjoy easy mode". I am so thankful for that S&K3 complete mod for mapping the "turn super" to it's own button and getting to keep the stage music on. I adore S&K3 but hearing the invincibility theme on loop was madness.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never liked turning super/hyper but I want to collect all the emeralds. Hopefully mania has a special button for that stuff instead of pressing jump twice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's a lot less intrusive in S3C - you have to press A+B together to trigger it and can turn it off again at will, and it speeds up the level music rather than play the invincibility music. You may have to set that in the settings first though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I couldn't get all the super emeralds in s3C :negative: lack of flying battery zone screwed me and for some reason I just could not time the backward turn in the last zone, failed it 5x. I blame latency with retroarch! :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of long and murderously annoying, how about that Metallic Madness Zone 2?

Look at this loving nightmare, and despair: http://info.sonicretro.org/images/b/b4/SCD_map_R82C.png

People love making GBS threads on Sonic CD's level design, but the only levels that are legitimately horrible are Wacky Workbench and Metallic Madness act 2

The rest of the game is fine

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ronnie posted:

I adore S&K3 but hearing the invincibility theme on loop was madness.

At least it's better than vanilla sonic 3's invincibility loop.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

This is so ridiculously awesome I almost crapped my pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdYvn-jjJw

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wacky Workbench

Wacky Workbench, the zone so lovely that the only good way to play it is bypassing 90% of it by sticking to the very bottom.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

People love making GBS threads on Sonic CD's level design, but the only levels that are legitimately horrible are Wacky Workbench and Metallic Madness act 2

The rest of the game is fine

Sonic CD is a game that tries to marry the concept of a fast gameplay with careful exploration throughout a level, and the level design just does not facilitate this. You can't maintain speed because there are constantly obstacles to halt your momentum. You can't fully explore a level both because there are several one-way passages that lock off areas, and because full exploration requires time travel which requires maintaining your speed which you can't reliably do because there are constantly obstacles that halt your momentum.

The net effect of this is that you can either play the game as a basic platformer to just complete the levels and accept that the level design is not going to permit you to go fast, or you can play the game as a puzzle game to find the robot transporter and accept the risk of hitting a checkpoint past a one-way passage which will render the goal uncompletable.

The level design in Sonic CD gets in the way of enjoying the game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Andre Banzai posted:

This is so ridiculously awesome I almost crapped my pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdYvn-jjJw

Goddamnit just release this game already

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Sonic CD is a game that tries to marry the concept of a fast gameplay with careful exploration throughout a level, and the level design just does not facilitate this. You can't maintain speed because there are constantly obstacles to halt your momentum. You can't fully explore a level both because there are several one-way passages that lock off areas, and because full exploration requires time travel which requires maintaining your speed which you can't reliably do because there are constantly obstacles that halt your momentum.

The net effect of this is that you can either play the game as a basic platformer to just complete the levels and accept that the level design is not going to permit you to go fast, or you can play the game as a puzzle game to find the robot transporter and accept the risk of hitting a checkpoint past a one-way passage which will render the goal uncompletable.

The level design in Sonic CD gets in the way of enjoying the game.

There aren't any chokepoints that permanently lock you out of the robot transporter.
The game has you going at a leisurely pace for the most part but speed is still a defining attribute of the game, you need to use the level geometry to your advantage in order to reach high place, get past obstacles, or time travel. The level design absolutely lets you do these things.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic CD has a final boss up there with Sonic Lost World as far as disappointment goes. I still wonder why they did that. Even as a kid I remember being utterly nonplussed, "...That's...it...??"

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/869593397677375492

New level spotted!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

More to the point, Stardust Speedway spotted. Those cutscenes are exactly what I wanted too.

God, August needs to come quickly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stardust Speedway?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dehry posted:

Stardust Speedway?
With the plants? Looks like!

edit: Wow this game is cheap. Only $25 CDN? Yeesh Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God I hope those animations mean full-on 2D cutscenes. :allears: