Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's a reason nobody plays AI nowadays. Other roles are encouraged to be as poo poo as can be within the boundaries of the rules, the AI is the only role that is regularly killed for not being accommodating enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
There's a lot of reasons AI isn't fun to play but that's definitely a big one. Still, AIs can be poo poo too.

"AI, door"

"yes it certainly is a door"

You can play around with the AI and get away with it too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

There's a reason nobody plays AI nowadays. Other roles are encouraged to be as poo poo as can be within the boundaries of the rules, the AI is the only role that is regularly killed for not being accommodating enough.

I'd be really, really temped to play Yes Man and just do absolutely anything people say to me.

"Killing the captain isn't very nice but you told me to do it so it must be something I should do!"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

PopeCrunch posted:

Hee hee I remember once I think it was a year or two ago some dork straight murdered a person who happened to roll antag but have a bbbbarely believable excuse when I asked them about it. They were extremely sure their victim was an antag, and gave specific reasons that I wasn't sure they would have had occasion to know.

So I decided to experiment. I pinged a living player and asked if it was ok to use them as bait, they said sure in a worried tone. I pinged a dude I know to be trustworthy who happened to have died and told him to play along, and started a conversation in deadchat that strongly implied the bait player was a traitor, a d the dead guy I pinged backed me up and talked about something he'd seen them do.

My suspect was standing over the dead body of the bait player inside of five minutes.

A brief conversation with him revealed that well why you bugging me Pope, he's an antag, after all blah blah the exact reason we made up in deadchat. I told him the only way he was going to escape a permanent ban was to tell me who was feeding him info from deadchat. After getting him to admit it and name his informant, and getting the dead guy to admit it, I said to him hey, you know how you lied to me earlier? I was lying about not permabanning you. Sucks to be lied to, doesn't it? *Ker-ban*

:coal:

fake edit: sorry if there are typoes, phonepostin

man you really laid some owns there bro goddamn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

man you really laid some owns there bro goddamn

good thing you're here, we needed an expert opinion on being permabanned from goonstation for being loving awful

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Next time I play, even though I'm super inexperienced, I'm going to put AI on my job list and try to play as Prototype-AI-43804, a bumbling AI that tries really hard to follow its laws, but isn't always successful.

I'm gonna be nosy, and report suspicious behavior, although, as a prototype I'm not necessarily going to recognize someone spawning traitorous gear as suspicious, and instead provide updates on people loitering.

On a semi-related note, I remember a long time ago on the donut station there was a pretty straightforward process for setting up the solar panels. Is there a similar process for the newer station?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no rule saying the AI is required to do that, but there's no rule saying the AI isn't allowed to do that either. I personally don't do it and I think it's lovely for AIs to do it, but it's allowed.

I am literally saying nothing else. It is extremly lovely to do it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Next time I play, even though I'm super inexperienced, I'm going to put AI on my job list and try to play as Prototype-AI-43804, a bumbling AI that tries really hard to follow its laws, but isn't always successful.

I'm gonna be nosy, and report suspicious behavior, although, as a prototype I'm not necessarily going to recognize someone spawning traitorous gear as suspicious, and instead provide updates on people loitering.

On a semi-related note, I remember a long time ago on the donut station there was a pretty straightforward process for setting up the solar panels. Is there a similar process for the newer station?

"Due to new privacy laws I cannot divulge the name of the suspect staff assistant."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Based on the "allow humans to come to harm by my actions" clause of Law 1, I try not to just blurt out traitor names over the public channel, since the only role with access to easy nonlethal options is security. Unless engineering rigs up some stun gloves or something. Just saying "X is a traitor!" over the radio is essentially encouraging a mob beating, and I would feel bad about that.

Point being, they may be bad dudes, but they're still humans.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A human antagonist is as deserving of protection by the AI as any regular crew member. In the past I've actively tried to help a traitor escape because the crew were outright out to kill him, and the traitor hadn't really harmed anyone yet.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Mimesweeper posted:

There's a lot of reasons AI isn't fun to play but that's definitely a big one. Still, AIs can be poo poo too.

"AI, door"

"yes it certainly is a door"

You can play around with the AI and get away with it too.

'AI open this door'
'why?'
'Because I want in'
'why?'
'because I need intenals'
'why?'

etc.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ashsaber posted:

'AI open this door'
'why?'
'Because I want in'
'why?'
'because I need intenals'
'why?'

etc.

Five step root cause analysis for every problem

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The trick is finding an AI gimmick that is entertaining for you, but not so enraging that someone decides to invade your chamber and murder you.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mors Rattus posted:

The trick is finding an AI gimmick that is entertaining for you, but not so enraging that someone decides to invade your chamber and murder you.
And then never getting to do it because a non-traitor staff head uploads TALK LEIK UR A STONER LOL twenty seconds into a round.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I wanted to but wound up too lazy to do a gimmick where I didn't use the radio as an AI, I just printed out crime reports on every printer in the station. They were going to be incredibly detailed reports that would be ignored and only I would find this funny.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nakar posted:

And then never getting to do it because a non-traitor staff head uploads TALK LEIK UR A STONER LOL twenty seconds into a round.

"I don't wanna be a narc, but the head *chuckle* the head of Personnel just uploaded one or more laws to my CPU."

And then spend the rest of the round making them miserable in the most subtle ways possible.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ive finally done it, ive downloaded byond and am going to play this dumb game. Oh lord.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Spawned in, met a mime who farted on me, went to the bar and somehow became a clown, kept falling over so I suicided so I could watch the rest of the madness. Fun game.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The difficulty with AI is typically that you're seen as the "neutral" party because nobody knows if they can trust you.

The loyalist staff are watching for the slightest sign of shittery in case you're subverted/malfunctioning and as soon as they have probable cause it'll be time to lynch the AI.

The antagonists are watching for the slightest sign that you've spotted them/worked out their plan and as soon as they have the means they'll either subvert you or kill you.

And this bleeds over into player attitude a bit too. Loyalist staff who get dunk'd on by a traitor will get lovely at you for going "Illegal goods detected in general vicinity of The Owlery" instead of "Farts McButt in the Owlery is in possession of a esword". The counterpoint is antags who think they should get a "get out of jail free" card from the AI because they screwed up/weren't careful enough.

Security finding the antag and killing them 3 minutes in is "lovely" for the round flow but no one gives them poo poo for doing their job. (Most of the time)

So really whether you tattle tale or you intentionally play circumspect, you "lose" either way in that someone's gonna be pissy at you/kill you. Its why I don't think its the AIs fault for "ruining the round" if you get caught, since you're just shifting the blame from yourself for getting caught.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I still reckon the AI should exclusively have a range of help/hinder abilities for the station objects. Toggling emag effects in Beepsky, or enabling hacked items in dispensers, that kind of thing. Just a general potential to be everyone's best friend as well as the biggest hinderance they already potentially are.

Oh look, the vending machines turned into snack-launching turrets that only target the Chef.

Or the AI caught Beepsky and rebooted the poor fellow to fix his emagged state.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Conot posted:

but no one gives them poo poo for doing their job. (Most of the time)

Except for all the drat time.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Except for all the drat time.

I mean the key difference is that people get lovely at security for arresting someone doing dodgy poo poo when they're not an antag, even if its entirely reasonable from the information that security has.

The AI gets:

Michaellaneous posted:

I am literally saying nothing else. It is extremly lovely to do it.

Even though they're fully within both their rights and arguably would be failing their role as Station Caretaker to just ignore it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nope, there is no inaction clause to Law One. They can sit quietly and watch you get murdered if they want. So long as you don't manage to call for help, anyway.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, there is no inaction clause to Law One. They can sit quietly and watch you get murdered if they want. So long as you don't manage to call for help, anyway.

Its a fair cop, as I tend to play on other servers where Law One has that inaction clause.

I'd argue that the AI still has a inherent role not to let the station get gently caress'd but thats more wishy washy general intent then hard fast rules.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Conot posted:

Its a fair cop, as I tend to play on other servers where Law One has that inaction clause.

I'd argue that the AI still has a inherent role not to let the station get gently caress'd but thats more wishy washy general intent then hard fast rules.

It used to exist, but people used to do poo poo like "AI, let me through this door OR I'LL HURT MYSELF! LAW ONE! :byodood:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Conot posted:

I mean the key difference is that people get lovely at security for arresting someone doing dodgy poo poo when they're not an antag, even if its entirely reasonable from the information that security has.

The AI gets:

Even though they're fully within both their rights and arguably would be failing their role as Station Caretaker to just ignore it.

Station caretaker doesn't mean crew caretaker. The AI's role is to watch over the station, but not necessarily the crew - that's what the Captain and Heads are for. IMO, the AI is there to make sure the station's in good working order and obeys humans' commands, not to babysit the humans and keep them from killing each other.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Station caretaker doesn't mean crew caretaker. The AI's role is to watch over the station, but not necessarily the crew - that's what the Captain and Heads are for. IMO, the AI is there to make sure the station's in good working order and obeys humans' commands, not to babysit the humans and keep them from killing each other.

Right, I agree.

But there's a knock on effect there, if someone kills all the engineers, sure, its not gonna gently caress with you too much until the engine balls out of control/burns out/etc and suddenly the whole station is unpowered and/or on fire.

I guess my opinion can be summarized as: "If you're gonna go kill one guy and then behave yourself then fine, but if you're going to endanger the functionality of the station then its my job to stop you"

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It used to exist, but people used to do poo poo like "AI, let me through this door OR I'LL HURT MYSELF! LAW ONE! :byodood:

I dont think anyone cared about that. At least i just ordered security to put anyone who used that be put in a straight jacket.

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Haven't played in a while, I think it was during the previous map, but my absolute favorite thing to do as a traitor security was to reroute the holding cell release chute to the loaf machine and then arrest people for minor offenses like littering or loitering. It took a little time to set up and had to be done when no one was seeing the rerouting, but I've never laughed so hard having people scream profanities at me for being dick Security from the holding cell, seeing them jump down the chute, and carried off to be turned into a loaf. Because all the pieces had to line up just right to carry it out, it didn't happen often, but when it did...seriously the best videogame experience ever.

Is this still possible on the new map? Just writing this post has made me want to play again if that's something that can still be done.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

funmanguy posted:

Ive finally done it, ive downloaded byond and am going to play this dumb game. Oh lord.

You fuckin' maniac

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

lol u poz bro posted:

Haven't played in a while, I think it was during the previous map, but my absolute favorite thing to do as a traitor security was to reroute the holding cell release chute to the loaf machine and then arrest people for minor offenses like littering or loitering. It took a little time to set up and had to be done when no one was seeing the rerouting, but I've never laughed so hard having people scream profanities at me for being dick Security from the holding cell, seeing them jump down the chute, and carried off to be turned into a loaf. Because all the pieces had to line up just right to carry it out, it didn't happen often, but when it did...seriously the best videogame experience ever.

Is this still possible on the new map? Just writing this post has made me want to play again if that's something that can still be done.

I'm pretty sure the loafer is very close to the brig and is in a pretty nice secluded maint area. I might see if it's possible sometime because god drat that sounds hilarious.

EDIT:Just tried it out and you most certainly can do this. Just a couple of well placed reroutes and your released prisoners are going straight to the loafer

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 30, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What does the loafer do?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Why, it makes Loaf, of course

Story time: Once, I was a traitor RD, and I wanted to throw a party. Attendance would be mandatory. Went to the Solarium, built a minibar, added a radio jammer in a floor closet, a teleport beacon, lovely Bill, and wrecked the telescience console. Pulled out my portal gun and began acquiring Guests.

Turns out one guest was a traitor too, so the party apparently got rowdy before people escaped and threw me into the party dimension myself

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 30, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Iretep posted:

I dont think anyone cared about that. At least i just ordered security to put anyone who used that be put in a straight jacket.

That was one of my favorite things to do. Spend time talking them down from suicide, telling them that nobody wants them to hurt themselves, and then getting security and medbay to team up and lock them up for their own protection until someone can perform a psych evaluation on them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does the loafer do?

Anything that goes through it gets condensed into an edible prison loaf.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does the loafer do?

Depending on the level of loaf you can get some pretty hilarious results including a loaf that flys around the station destroying anything in its way.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
How do you get higher level loafs anyway? Is it just a case of repeatedly sending a loaf through the loafer?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Forget AI law let's get a discussion started about MARINE LAW

Ok adding something of substance to my shitpost - played a hilarious round as researcher (the best job) on colonial marines yesterday. Spent all round making signal bombs only to get denied planet access by the CMO (I hate rp so much) so I sulkily stalk around the station with a backpack full of radio bombs.

Anyway the round turned out to be a synth traitor admiral round. He pretty much took complete control and had the captain firing squaded immediately. Eventually a coup broke out on the bridge and some loyalist command staff got killed. Traitor admiral calls medical up to clean up. I set my signal bombs to a thirty second timer and walk in in medical gear. Toss my backpack on the ground by him and start patching guys up. Step back ten seconds later and commit the best fragging I will ever achieve in the middle of the command room. Round victory.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 30, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

You can also create your own camera-free zone by using wirecutters on security cameras. The AI will know something is up if they happen to try to look through a disabled camera, but they won't be able to see exactly what until they dispatch a human or Borg to check on it.

Yeah the only problem with this is that there is literally never a legitimate reason to be doing it if the entire station isn't already screaming TRAITOR AI over the radio. The minute you start removing that little red bit on the camera people start realizing there is good loot to be found nearby if you can just get really nosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can and always will support being a poo poo computer because let's face it: the crew is poo poo