Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Tree Dude posted:

I just read that mild spoiler and don't remember really any of that apart from who the "she" refers to. I think that means I can read the series again and have it feel pretty fresh. Woo for my terrible memory.

It was from BSC when Yoru comes to offer Monza the backing of the bank after she took over Talins. Shenkt then told him to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Robot Danger posted:

I'm really kicking myself for waiting so long to start the stand-alone books so long after finishing the First Law trilogy. Last night I finished Best Served Cold, and I just had a few questions I was afraid to Google for fear of spoiling the other one-off books.

Does Shenkt appear in original trilogy at all? I was afraid I missed some huge connection or if his past association with Bayez something that wasn't in the first 3 books.

Kind of a followup question, but I remember the apprentice to Bayez, the one with heterochromia - and I though he betrayed Bazez in The Last Argument of Kings? It kind of surprised me to see him working for him again.

My memory is terrible.

No, Shenkt doesn't appear in the original trilogy at all.

Even from the beginning of the trilogy we only ever see Yoru Sulfur, the one with heterochromia, as a former apprentice of Bayaz now graduated to Magi in his own right. He still does Bayaz' bidding as first of the Magi and his former master.

The apprentice (Malacus Quai) we see betraying Bayaz at the end of the trilogy is actually his shapeshifting quarter-demon ex-girlfriend, having assumed his place in book 2 before they left Adua.

Joe is so perfectly situated to step into the fantasy book adaptation gap once Game of Thrones ends. It'd be my nerd dream come true to get a First Law tv series backed by a big production budget.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm still very conflicted about how a TV adaptation would work. Glokta without Glokta's inner monologue is about 90% less of a good character. Same with Gorst in The Heroes (which is otherwise probably the book crying out most for adaptation). Not sure how you can adapt that without really jarring and inconsistent narration.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gorst has to be played by Joxxer the Mighty guy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully it won't be as dull as Game of Thrones or that comic adaptation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Office-style "documentary." Make it work HBO

*Gorst brutally murders 22 people*
*Smash cut to Gorst in a conference room bitching about being Friendzoned*

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

VagueRant posted:

I'm still very conflicted about how a TV adaptation would work. Glokta without Glokta's inner monologue is about 90% less of a good character. Same with Gorst in The Heroes (which is otherwise probably the book crying out most for adaptation). Not sure how you can adapt that without really jarring and inconsistent narration.

This is a great point unfortunately. Being as his writing has only gotten progressively better (the YA trilogy experiment doesn't count), his next series of 9 books may be a lot better suited to adaptation than the First Law trilogy.

No danger of GRRM-style leave em in the dark fuckery either as he's writing the whole thing out in advance of publishing the first book. I see him as the heir apparent to the genre.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hopefully this upcoming multi-media Kingkiller onslaught doesn't sour everyone's taste for Fantasy shows.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Suxpool posted:

This is a great point unfortunately. Being as his writing has only gotten progressively better (the YA trilogy experiment doesn't count), his next series of 9 books may be a lot better suited to adaptation than the First Law trilogy.

No danger of GRRM-style leave em in the dark fuckery either as he's writing the whole thing out in advance of publishing the first book. I see him as the heir apparent to the genre.

Well considering ASOIAF is and has always been bad, I hope that writer of inoffensive pulp Joe Abercrombie doesn't inherit anything from GRRM.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tree Dude posted:

Hopefully this upcoming multi-media Kingkiller onslaught doesn't sour everyone's taste for Fantasy shows.

As an aside, I'm thinking GRRM will finish his series before Rothfuss releases the third book.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tree Dude posted:

Ugh, what? *looks* Eh, they're going to be poo poo, assuming they actually happen, but that's not going to do anything to Abercrombie because no sane person would compare his stuff to the Kvothe nonsense.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The "Kvothe" nonsense has lots of fans though, including culture-shaper Lin Manuel Miranda. I also like Rothfuss' books up until people here pointed out how much weirdness is going on with them, but I still enjoyed reading them and will enjoy the third one.

A mini series for Best Served Cold would be great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I already sympathize with fans having to justify the really stupid series for non-readers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Finally read Sharp Ends, and have to say that it's a disappointment. Namely because the stories amounted mostly to unsatisfying vignettes, and because it kind of breaks the setting. Javre is just too over-the-top for the world of the story, to the point where the whole principles of the overarching narratives start to falter. The whole point is that heroes are people like Logen NInefingers, Whirrun, and Bremer dan Gorst - monsters and failures. And the dialogue goes from tongue-in-cheek to straight up bad a lot of times.

Yeah, I found it pretty disappointing myself. Abercrombie's thing has always been flawed characters making impossible decisions in a brutal and uncaring world. Take out the character development and plot that you get from a novel-length story and all you're left with is the brutality. As I was reading it, my reaction became: Oh look: it's ANOTHER short slice of life piece where a bunch of nasty, self-serving people double-cross and murder each other. Didn't I just read the same thing ten minutes ago?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I assume that the brief glimpses we've gotten of our new protagonists are to give us a positive view of both that can be brutally undercut.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So I'm 600/900 locations into the first book here and at first I wasn't quite feeling it, now though I'm hooked.

It is definitely an unlikely protag bunch here with Glotka, Jezal and Logen and while they are now all "together" I'm curious to see what will actually cause them to cross paths for more than just some minor remarks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Strap in, homie. Your world is about to go upside down.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I'm kind of jealous I wish I was reading the books for the first time. I felt the same way in that it took me over half of the book to actually get into it. You're definitely in for a ride.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah for the first 3/4 it really is a boilerplate fantasy novel. But by the ending of the first book I knew I had something insanely different and awesome in my hands. I've reread the series from start to finish about 3 times now. What I wouldn't give to go back to day one.

Someone in the "Make up a new invention" thread said they wanted a pill that would erase the plot of movies, books, or video games from your head. That's what I want.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cerepol posted:

So I'm 600/900 locations into the first book here and at first I wasn't quite feeling it, now though I'm hooked.

It is definitely an unlikely protag bunch here with Glotka, Jezal and Logen and while they are now all "together" I'm curious to see what will actually cause them to cross paths for more than just some minor remarks.

You'll never believe the swordfight where Logen kills Bayaz.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cerepol posted:

600/900 locations

Is this some kind of insane person's way of saying pages?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Kindle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So yes.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright finished the first series I guess it is definitely a good read considering I did book 2 in a day and would have done the same for 3 if I had the time.

He's got a good style and holy poo poo he did done good work with Glotka. I might put together some words later but right now I kinda just want more

Also pretty much everything I read these days is ebooks. It's just very convenient for reading wherever whenever because I'm crazy/dumb enough to do it on my phone.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerepol posted:

Alright finished the first series I guess it is definitely a good read considering I did book 2 in a day and would have done the same for 3 if I had the time.

He's got a good style and holy poo poo he did done good work with Glotka. I might put together some words later but right now I kinda just want more

Also pretty much everything I read these days is ebooks. It's just very convenient for reading wherever whenever because I'm crazy/dumb enough to do it on my phone.

If you like listening while driving, do yourself a favor, find the Steven Pacey-narrated audiobooks. He's incredible. The other narrator is garbage, don't even try.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
The other narrator does an amazing Cosca though, Pacey's Cosca just sounds like Shivers.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koryk posted:

The other narrator does an amazing Cosca though, Pacey's Cosca just sounds like Shivers.

No way I'm wading through all that garbage to get to a few good bits. I don't know why, his voice just grates on me. I couldn't even get through the first chapter of Best Served Cold without turning it off.

And that's crazy-talk by the way, Pacey's Cosca owns bones. "Friendly, that was... ungracious of you."

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Pacey is a loving boss, and criticism of him will not be received well!!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Took me a while to get used to Pacey because he sounds like he was grinding through every word with maximum enunciation like you could picture the spittle flying at the mic.

But by The Heroes (his version) he definitely proved he had quite a bit of range.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So, I finished reading the first 3 books and I have a question. Sort of. Glokta's mother is Carmen dan Roth, right? So many people called him a bastard.

I mean there is even the short story A Beautiful Bastard.

He must have been somewhat taken aback when Bayaz did his thing in Last Argument of Kings.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

No, Carmee disappeared many years ago, long enough in the past that she could plausibly have died giving birth to an adult heir. Glotka's mother is either still alive or was only a handful of years ago, because she nursed Glotka back to health after his torture.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Collateral posted:

So, I finished reading the first 3 books and I have a question. Sort of. Glokta's mother is Carmen dan Roth, right? So many people called him a bastard.

I mean there is even the short story A Beautiful Bastard.

He must have been somewhat taken aback when Bayaz did his thing in Last Argument of Kings.

i have never understood glokta to be a bastard???

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Neurosis posted:

i have never understood glokta to be a bastard???

Well no, his mother was married off. Like Ardee.

It's ironic. Sand knows full well the lords round would never have anything to do with him. So he says nothing. He knows full well that Jezal is not the son of Carmee. It suits his character. As he was spared, so he does the same for the new bastard.

He was the first one to mention Carmee, again to Ardee.

A Beautiful Bastard, does the author have to use a club?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Well it could be that he was "adopted" into a noble family, like Jezal was, but I don't remember any hints of that during the various discussions of him convalescing at his mother's estate. If anything, his mom seemed more protective than you'd expect from someone fostering a bastard -- chasing West away when he came to visit and so on. I'll have to have another look.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Feel like he's just a bastard in the non-traditional sense?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ZekeNY posted:

Well it could be that he was "adopted" into a noble family, like Jezal was, but I don't remember any hints of that during the various discussions of him convalescing at his mother's estate. If anything, his mom seemed more protective than you'd expect from someone fostering a bastard -- chasing West away when he came to visit and so on. I'll have to have another look.

Umm, not like the situation with Jezal. More like the situation with Ardee and her child. I assume the new bastard with also be called x dan Glokta.

Sand would have been Bayaz's insurance were he not captured and turned into grotesquery, sending him back as a nice present. Why would they do that? They have shown they dont take prisoners and dont care for their own. Bayaz is also suspiciously interested in him.

It's one of the numerous parallels that exist in the books.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
Ardee takes Sand's name in marriage, and the child is very very specifically being passed off as Sand's own, so it will definitely be a dan Glokta.

Sand was most likely not one of Bayaz's planted bastard backup plans for the throne -- as Zeke said his parentage is never really brought up aside from the mother disapproving of his friendship with a commoner (Collem West). His release from the Gurkish was part of a prisoner exchange, I think that was mentioned in Hanged? I forget exactly.

I just finished a re-read of the trilogy, and don't have Last Argument with me at the moment, but during the Sand/Bayaz conversation in The Truth I don't think he came to Bayaz's attention until he started making trouble for the mercers and getting involved with the bank.

The only mentioned alternative to Jezal taking the throne was an off-handed comment about the Brint family. As in the (literally) poor Lieutenant Brint who was part of Jezal's drinking and gambling circle in The Blade Itself. Poor Brint went on to some bad times in The Heroes and Red Country.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Joe finally updated his blog! Nothing's really changed though, it's going to be a while before he puts out the next book. :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Greenlit posted:

Ardee takes Sand's name in marriage, and the child is very very specifically being passed off as Sand's own, so it will definitely be a dan Glokta.

Sand was most likely not one of Bayaz's planted bastard backup plans for the throne -- as Zeke said his parentage is never really brought up aside from the mother disapproving of his friendship with a commoner (Collem West). His release from the Gurkish was part of a prisoner exchange, I think that was mentioned in Hanged? I forget exactly.

I just finished a re-read of the trilogy, and don't have Last Argument with me at the moment, but during the Sand/Bayaz conversation in The Truth I don't think he came to Bayaz's attention until he started making trouble for the mercers and getting involved with the bank.

The only mentioned alternative to Jezal taking the throne was an off-handed comment about the Brint family. As in the (literally) poor Lieutenant Brint who was part of Jezal's drinking and gambling circle in The Blade Itself. Poor Brint went on to some bad times in The Heroes and Red Country.

well. he ended up a general and he was at least alive at the end of red country. god knows what having his wife whisked away to be a concubine to an immortal giant did to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Joe finally updated his blog! Nothing's really changed though, it's going to be a while before he puts out the next book. :(

He put out First Law + 3 stand alone + Shattered Sea in less than 10 years. Not to mention a bunch of short stories and things. His release consistency to this point has earned him LOADS of goodwill and patience from me. I'm confident that when new books start coming out we won't have to wait a decade for the 3rd one or whatever.

edit: which is basically what he says in the blog post. cool.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2017