Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't Jewish or Native American there aren't a lot of rituals signifying your cross into adulthood. Getting minor surgery and making a silly video on YouTube is as good as anything.

That or taking out a student loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Does graduating high school/turning 18 not count?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ranbo das posted:

Does graduating high school/turning 18 not count?

Did you feel like an adult at 18?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Lowness 72 posted:

Did you feel like an adult at 18?

Even if I didn't, I'd rather some mild ennui or existential crisis than having to go through the bullet ant stinging ritual.

In more local news, a friend of mine just moved back to town and invited me to come visit her at sales job today because at the last minute, she couldn't make the party I threw last night. The store is a retail establishment selling various smaller tech companies' gadgets, and to my delight I found on the website that they sell Juicero machines! Unfortunately they weren't available at this location or I would've asked to see one. They may not even carry them here.

I did spend some time playing with an Oculus Rift and some bizarre commuter trike without paying anything without any pressure from her to buy. Given how much time she spent with me while visiting, I gather that the conversion rate from browsing customers to paying customers was low and that many people were on there for the novelty factor. But I have no data to back that up, and hopefully her job stays around for a while bad on the sales of non-Juicero products.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

spog posted:

Given that society is getting more and more shallow, with looks outranking all other attributes, I'd be willing to bet that the numbers show that the cost of getting your teeth straightened as a child results in a ROI of at least 1,000% over your lifetime, given the higher earning potential.

tooth craziness:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2017/05/13/the-painful-truth-about-teeth/?utm_term=.8f93d9bcccb8

quote:

On this Friday morning, dentists arriving from five states were getting ready to fix the teeth of the first 1,000 people in line.

Matello was No. 503. The small-business owner who supports President Trump had a cracked molar, no dental insurance and a nagging soreness that had forced her to chew on the right side of her mouth for years.

“It’s always bothering me,” she said. And although her toothache wasn’t why she voted for Trump, it was a constant reminder of one reason she did: the feeling that she had been abandoned, left struggling to meet basic needs in a country full of fantastically rich people.

“I am hearing about a number of people who will lose their coverage under the new plan,” Matello said. “Is Trump the wolf in grandma's clothes? My husband and I are are now saying to each other: ‘Did we really vote for him?’ ”

Matello said she has no option but to keep hoping Trump will devise "a plan so we can all feel the benefits of a better economy." But since he took office, Trump has focused on so many other things — most recently, his decision to fire the FBI director — that Matello has begun to wonder about his promises to the working class:

“Was he just out to get our votes?”

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

For real. I have a good 6-7k+ worth of dental work that needs to be done but I can't afford it because I'm a grad student on a tiny stipend. Really worried that having dental problems is going to prevent me from ever being able to find a job since people seem to be so hung up on appearances and because it's hard to publicly speak with hosed up teeth. The last time I had dental insurance was 8 years ago, and I was forced to pay $1000 for two root canals when they rejected the claim outright despite being insured.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Time for some family BWM.

Growing up, I had a cousin (F) that was a little older than me. She was a little odd but I figured it was "older kids are weird" poo poo. When I got much older, I found up she was developmentally challenged - not retarded in the medical sense, but slowed development.

Anyway - her dad (my uncle) was an alcoholic but also a really drat good Communications Engineer that worked on the Superconducting Super Collider project. Despite spending money on every possible gun and tool conceivable (because Redneck) he still managed to sock away around low 6 figures in a trust for his daughter. So my uncle dies when I was 7 and the money goes into a trust that my dad (his brother) is the executor for. All is well for the first several years. My cousin turns 18 when I'm about 13 and begins poking around for some money for little things. At first it's really straightforward stuff - down payment for a reasonable car, money for a new pair of glasses.

Now earlier, I mentioned she's not a bright one - she's not going to college but in some vocational program. She starts hanging out with some people who are pretty much scum. They get wind of the fact that she's got a trust fund. At this point, she doesn't even know how much money is in the trust fund though she's got an idea it's pretty sizable. Fast forward another year or so to her being age 20 and she begins asking for ridiculous poo poo. She wants to buy a pair of glasses for every day of the week. She wants to buy watches for every day of the week. She wants to loan some rear end in a top hat $10k because he's got a great investment idea.

My dad tries his best for another year to hold her off, compromise, and otherwise accommodate her without letting her go balls to the wall. Finally, one of the scumbags she's hanging out with convinces her that she should threaten to sue my dad if he doesn't let her get whatever she wants. Anyway - she eventually works up the bullshit nerve to threaten my dad and there's bunch of back and forth for a couple months. He loses his poo poo and finally just says "gently caress it, I wash my hands of this." He signs the documentation to sign over full custody of the trust to her and we don't hear from her again.

That was probably 13 years ago now - we hear little bits now and then that she may have gone to jail. We do know that the account was drained in about 7 months. I think when my dad handed over the account, it was sitting at about $93k. The heartbreaking part is that my grandmother who was very fond of her was part of the fallout - when my cousin cut out the family, she didn't just cut out my dad. She cut out our grandmother and my aunt.

I didn't really get the full story on this until I was 25 - after my grandmother had already died. We basically never talked about her again while my grandmother was alive.

TL;DR: Developmentally challenged cousin wants to spend her 6 figure trust fund on ridiculous poo poo. My dad tries to help and gets fed up. Cousin gets the money, burns through it in 8 months, and is probably in jail now.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Unbelievable But True Tales of the Toronto Housing Bubble

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

I used to live a few houses down from this place until everyone was priced out of the neighbourhood. This couples pain and idiocy warms my heart.

I'm not sure who the true protagonist is- Jake the squatter who they had to bribe to move out, or the guy they met out on the street who convinced them he's an engineer and then caved in their basement, and they still paid him several thousand dollars
:allears:

Preview:

Guillotine posted:

Finally, in May 2011, the permits came through. Julian consulted his spreadsheet of contractors and narrowed it down to three candidates. He went outside to mull over his choices.
That’s when a man pulled up on his 10-speed bicycle and started chatting with Julian. His name was Robert. He was in his 50s, wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt, jean cut-offs, a rumpled hat and white running shoes. He was missing a few key teeth and didn’t like wearing socks or, as he later informed us, underwear. Robert didn’t own a car and spent his time collecting stray pieces of metal, wood and other junk he’d find on the street.
Yet, despite his alarming appearance, he was charming and knowledgeable. He told Julian that he had a degree in structural engineering, and he proposed sensible ideas, like adding skylights to the attic and relocating the furnace to create space for a two-bedroom basement suite. Hey, he said, I could do it myself.
Julian wasn’t so sure. Then Robert mentioned he was cheap—only $35 an hour.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 30, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
From that article

quote:

Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave.
Our budget was $560,000

lol

Then they paid 480,000 for a literal crackhouse with drug addicts passed out on the floor

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

Peter was reliable, organized, patient and came with glowing references. He was the contractor we should have hired from the start—in fact, Julian had already interviewed him twice but we had passed because he was charging market rate.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

The next day, Julian checked Robert’s references, which were neither glowing nor damning. We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

quote:

A few weeks after we hired Robert, we made the overdue decision to fire him.

Before we had the chance, Robert called with some bad news. He had lost control of the Bobcat, he said, and a four-foot section of the foundation had caved in.

quote:

As soon as Robert had secured the foundation, we met him at a coffee shop on Queen and fired him. He didn’t go quietly. He wanted to stay and complete the rest of the house, or, as he called it, the “cream” of the project. He pulled out his tattered black log book and told us we owed him $20,000—on top of the $30,000 we’d already handed over. We countered with a list itemizing the $100,000 we had paid to make up for his incompetence. In the end, we gave him roughly $6,000, just to be rid of him.

quote:

We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

Hahahahaha these people are so amazingly stupid.

quote:

We hired him, figuring we could always replace him if things didn’t go well.

I'm dying.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Don't miss reading about their cottage either:

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

I wanted it. I looked at Julian. He was grinning back at me. I knew what that meant. It was the same grin that led us to buying a plot in Tulum, Mexico, and the very one that had us putting in a private offer on our current city home, a neglected Victorian beauty known in the neighbourhood as the “crack house.”

Yes for some reason the neighbors call it the crack house, just as a fun nickname!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OctaviusBeaver posted:

From that article

quote:

Julian had just finished his PhD in education and was teaching part-time at Humber; I was an editor for the Food Network’s website and preparing to go on maternity leave. 
Our budget was $560,000 

We found them! We found the people on house hunters!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now that I've read the name "Humber" a few times i just realized how funny it sounds. Like some kinda blowjob slang, or one letter away from [the] "humbler" which you should not google at work either

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Scudworth posted:

I'm not sure who the true protagonist is- Jake the squatter who they had to bribe to move out, or the guy they met out on the street who convinced them he's an engineer and then caved in their basement, and they still paid him several thousand dollars

Preview:

I thought they paid him 100k.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Use soft picks if you are too lazy to floss. I can go through my entire month in 30 seconds and I do it twice a day. You should still floss daily because cavities = BWM.
https://www.amazon.com/GUM-632-Gum-Soft-Picks/dp/B001F0OMPS?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Flossaid-Dental-Floss-Holder-Single-Handle/dp/B000LC22R6

I use a reusable one. It's like a giant floss pick you use with normal floss. Better for the environment.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

AmericanBarbarian posted:

I thought they paid him 100k.

quote:

He pulled out his tattered black log book and told us we owed him $20,000—on top of the $30,000 we’d already handed over. We countered with a list itemizing the $100,000 we had paid to make up for his incompetence. In the end, we gave him roughly $6,000, just to be rid of him.

The $100k wasn't to him, it was to fix the foundation.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yes for some reason the neighbors call it the crack house, just as a fun nickname!

how on earth do the people afford all of this :psyduck:

even if they're leveraged to the hilt (of course they are), how can they possibly afford the debt servicing?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Rich parents.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dick Nipples posted:

Time for some family BWM.

Growing up, I had a cousin (F) that was a little older than me. She was a little odd but I figured it was "older kids are weird" poo poo. When I got much older, I found up she was developmentally challenged - not retarded in the medical sense, but slowed development.

Anyway - her dad (my uncle) was an alcoholic but also a really drat good Communications Engineer that worked on the Superconducting Super Collider project. Despite spending money on every possible gun and tool conceivable (because Redneck) he still managed to sock away around low 6 figures in a trust for his daughter. So my uncle dies when I was 7 and the money goes into a trust that my dad (his brother) is the executor for. All is well for the first several years. My cousin turns 18 when I'm about 13 and begins poking around for some money for little things. At first it's really straightforward stuff - down payment for a reasonable car, money for a new pair of glasses.

Now earlier, I mentioned she's not a bright one - she's not going to college but in some vocational program. She starts hanging out with some people who are pretty much scum. They get wind of the fact that she's got a trust fund. At this point, she doesn't even know how much money is in the trust fund though she's got an idea it's pretty sizable. Fast forward another year or so to her being age 20 and she begins asking for ridiculous poo poo. She wants to buy a pair of glasses for every day of the week. She wants to buy watches for every day of the week. She wants to loan some rear end in a top hat $10k because he's got a great investment idea.

My dad tries his best for another year to hold her off, compromise, and otherwise accommodate her without letting her go balls to the wall. Finally, one of the scumbags she's hanging out with convinces her that she should threaten to sue my dad if he doesn't let her get whatever she wants. Anyway - she eventually works up the bullshit nerve to threaten my dad and there's bunch of back and forth for a couple months. He loses his poo poo and finally just says "gently caress it, I wash my hands of this." He signs the documentation to sign over full custody of the trust to her and we don't hear from her again.

That was probably 13 years ago now - we hear little bits now and then that she may have gone to jail. We do know that the account was drained in about 7 months. I think when my dad handed over the account, it was sitting at about $93k. The heartbreaking part is that my grandmother who was very fond of her was part of the fallout - when my cousin cut out the family, she didn't just cut out my dad. She cut out our grandmother and my aunt.

I didn't really get the full story on this until I was 25 - after my grandmother had already died. We basically never talked about her again while my grandmother was alive.

TL;DR: Developmentally challenged cousin wants to spend her 6 figure trust fund on ridiculous poo poo. My dad tries to help and gets fed up. Cousin gets the money, burns through it in 8 months, and is probably in jail now.

Ah, that's a terrible story. But your cousin is genuinely developmentally disabled, so a lack of forward planning is to be expected. The BWM is her dad setting the trust up so she got an enormous lump sum rather than a monthly allowance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BarbarianElephant posted:

Ah, that's a terrible story. But your cousin is genuinely developmentally disabled, so a lack of forward planning is to be expected. The BWM is her dad setting the trust up so she got an enormous lump sum rather than a monthly allowance.

If this person was as challenged as shown, they would have been a phone call away from J.G. Wentworth getting it.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dick Nipples posted:

Your dad sucks. It was his brother's dying wish and he couldn't be bothered to follow through. Considering that she is literally (mildly) retarded.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

John Smith posted:

Your dad sucks. It was his brother's dying wish and he couldn't be bothered to follow through. Considering that she is literally (mildly) retarded.

lol you're mildly retarded as well looks like

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

John Smith posted:

Ah yes - a long and drawn out court case that will incite a huge amount of family drama, *especially* for my grandmother. Just what we need. :smuggo:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ya - that's pretty much how I feel about it. I wish that it'd been better structured. The part I'm puzzled about is why the estate didn't go into my aunt's control from the start... it seems like that'd have been a better long term plan given that she raised my cousin.

I dunno - this isn't about me though. Enough of my own thoughts on the matter.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya - that's pretty much how I feel about it. I wish that it'd been better structured. The part I'm puzzled about is why the estate didn't go into my aunt's control from the start... it seems like that'd have been a better long term plan given that she raised my cousin.

Perhaps her dad thought that her mother would have been too close to it and have difficulty saying "no." But that didn't work out very well, since your dad didn't really want the headache.

I think that you can get professional firms that deal with this sort of thing, as paid trustees for the disabled.

(quick google produces:)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/your-money/06wealth.html

Your cousin sounds like an unusual case - too disabled to plan wisely for her money, but not disabled enough that she realizes this (or for others to realize it). Of course, many completely mentally average people have blown a trust fund under the influence of bad friends.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Perhaps her dad thought that her mother would have been too close to it and have difficulty saying "no." But that didn't work out very well, since your dad didn't really want the headache.

I think that you can get professional firms that deal with this sort of thing, as paid trustees for the disabled.

(quick google produces:)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/your-money/06wealth.html

Your cousin sounds like an unusual case - too disabled to plan wisely for her money, but not disabled enough that she realizes this (or for others to realize it). Of course, many completely mentally average people have blown a trust fund under the influence of bad friends.

Huh interesting. Ya, she was able to hold down a job and generally do just fine.

I think it just wore on my dad after a couple years of hounding and threats. My timeline probably wasn't well outlined in the previous post but it was a couple years of him pushing off her goony friends and eventually the jackass lawyer she found.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Smith posted:

Zo posted:

lol you're mildly retarded as well looks like

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Scudworth posted:

Unbelievable But True Tales of the Toronto Housing Bubble

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

I used to live a few houses down from this place until everyone was priced out of the neighbourhood. This couples pain and idiocy warms my heart.

I clicked the link and the moment I saw those mismatched Eames chairs I knew the story was going to be good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Nipples posted:

Maybe because they thought your dad would be able to say "no" more than your aunt.

That's the nice thing about professional trustees. They're used to this. They can also say "every time you threaten to sue us for abiding by the terms of the trust, those are billable hours that we get to take out of your trust fund :smug:" which tends to shut people up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Might not work with someone who's mentally challenged, though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

UPDATE: Beneficiary of a Traditonal IRA account containing 180k, im entitled to 1/3rd, my mother wants me to sign it all over otherwise im getting evicted.

Long story short: man finds out he is due ~$60k from an inherited IRA, mom threatens to kick out him and his girlfriend if he doesn't sign over the money. He relents because he doesn't realize he would basically be signing away enough money for his girlfriend and he to just, y'know, move out on their own. This post destroys me.

quote:

Prior post is here if you want to update yourself - https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6e4tdu/beneficiary_of_a_roth_ira_account_containing_180k/

We sat down and talked this morning, I told her that I would prefer to keep control of it and have it deposited in my name. This however come at the cost of losing access to the car, my phone, my credit card, everything outside of my personal belongings right now.

My girlfriend is also currently at work until 3pm, and if I decide to stay on this route I will have no way to pick her up. Nor any way to go to the bank when I need too.

I have quite literally zero dollars to my name, no bank account, no credit anything, my family has taken care of all of that for me and if I choose to take the money I lose access to all of that.

So my options are to apologize and sign the money over, reinstating my privileges as a family member along with moving in with them or I would be homeless in 16 days as that is when the lease is expiring and my family is moving into the new house.

I contacted capital one, but because this is a retirement based account everything moves slowly, it would require the mailing of forms back and forth that could take a few weeks for it all to be settled and to have the money moved into my name. This is time I do not really have, as being "homeless" without a car and other necessities means that I would likely lose my job that starts on June 19th. Not only that but not having transportation jeopardizes my girlfriends current employment as she works two part time jobs. Public transportation is not viable in our area unfortunately and walking distance to work would be well over an hour each way, and mine would be on the upside of 3.

Based on these circumstances and not wanting to thrust my life into one of poverty in the hopes of everything working out in a month or so, I feel like its likely in my best interest to apologize and sign it over regardless of how I feel. I know my father left it to me, but part of it is hers, it was a IRA that was meant for my mother and father.

I dont think i can brace the unknown safely in my current state, rather take the path of safety. Wish I had money myself and this ordeal started after I was already on my feet but fate wasn't kind.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on the matter, ive contacted some lawyers and it seems to be directly a capital one investment issue and I have to wait on them and their paperwork that could take time that I dont have.

Emotionally manipulating your children into giving over their inheritance is GWM I guess.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 30, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

UPDATE: Beneficiary of a Traditonal IRA account containing 180k, im entitled to 1/3rd, my mother wants me to sign it all over otherwise im getting evicted.

Long story short: man finds out he is due ~$60k from an inherited IRA, mom threatens to kick out him and his girlfriend if he doesn't sign over the money. He relents because he doesn't realize he would basically be signing away enough money for his girlfriend and he to just, y'know, move out on their own. This post destroys me.

Emotionally manipulating your children into giving over their inheritance is GWM I guess.

Okay but if I move out of the basement mommy won't make me easy mac anymore :(

e: Actually he mentions that he thinks he couldn't get the money moved out of the account before he'd be homeless and carless, and he'd lose his job as a result, so a bit more depressing and less funny

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Okay but if I move out of the basement mommy won't make me easy mac anymore :(
Money can buy lots of Easy Mac.

Fake edit: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But maybe he/his girlfriend never learned how to make Easy Mac they way his mom does it? :ohdear:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hoodwinker posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

His post history on reddit leads to several different MMO subreddits so take from that what you will.

Droo posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.
Sure, but, "Give me all of the money or I will disown you." is still bad behavior. The part that kills me is he essentially has access soon to enough money to get his life started better off than he was living and he's getting bullied out of that. :rip:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This thread is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The real estate bubble, ladies and gentlemen.