Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Will the show be new this Sunday?

I really want to see John Oliver talk about the UK election, which is turning out to be way closer than anyone anticipated just a few weeks ago.

Yes, there's a new show this Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although I have a feeling the Paris Accord stuff will probably dominate. I know they just did an episode where Trump blew up their plans by being insane but he's once again topped himself.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know this is only tangentially related, but I'm glad Stephen Colbert and his writers were basically forced to go back and be political. He is much more enjoyable now as a result.

And Seth Meyers' Closer Look segments are the bees knees. Better than Colbert's stuff on most days.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Although I have a feeling the Paris Accord stuff will probably dominate. I know they just did an episode where Trump blew up their plans by being insane but he's once again topped himself.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if he didn't cover the whole Paris Accord issue in detail on Sunday's show.

Drifter posted:

I know this is only tangentially related, but I'm glad Stephen Colbert and his writers were basically forced to go back and be political. He is much more enjoyable now as a result.

And Seth Meyers' Closer Look segments are the bees knees. Better than Colbert's stuff on most days.

Agreed on both counts.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

WampaLord posted:

gently caress Nancy Pelosi and every other old guard Dem.

How come I never hear a Dem say "let's fix Social Security forever by eliminating the tax cap?"

because Very Serious People know that's too radical a solution, despite being a perfect one. Literally everyone in my generation thinks we're not going to have access to SS, but we could, easily. God, it's all so frustrating.

Yeah its a shame we never hear any party insiders like President Obama endorsing expanding social security by raising the payroll tax cap.

e: Thats not to say that Dems haven't sucked at times because they definitely have. But all the hand-wringing over Dems not being perfect leftist angels is stupid when the other side is being actively evil.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you don't get to just downplay the fact the dems are no longer representing the majority of its constituent voter's beliefs and expectations. They're behaving just as evilly, you just give them a pass because you imagine they're doing something, or anything, useful, but they just tried to force a former goldwater girl on the labor-left and got torn the gently caress up for it. They're not doing anybody anything useful and most of the senior leadership need to be challenged and beaten by stronger leftists smart enough to borrow the democrat moniker

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 5, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

basic hitler posted:

you don't get to just downplay the fact the dems are no longer representing the majority of its constituent voter's beliefs and expectations. They're behaving just as evilly, you just give them a pass because you imagine they're doing something, or anything, useful, but they just tried to force a former goldwater girl on the labor-left and got torn the gently caress up for it. They're not doing anybody anything useful and most of the senior leadership need to be challenged and beaten by stronger leftists smart enough to borrow the democrat moniker

Oh goody "both sides are just as evil" a productive well researched position that gets us all places.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Professional climate deniers (this includes both politicians and the lobbyists that give them money) are so unprincipled that they would doom their family's continued prosperity and survival in the pursuit of wholly temporary personal gains which will benefit *them* in their own finite lifetimes. A college education isn't going to teach their kids how to hunt and gather when supermarkets no longer exist, and it's not going to keep a throng of hungry scavengers from raiding their gated community when the poo poo hits the fan.

The only explanation other than a level of greed unheard of since Roman times for this kind of complete lack of self-preservation for the future of one's children and their future generations is that the lead in Boomers' brains truly *has* made them all sociopathic lunatics, or that there's incontrovertible proof that we're all already doomed and "why bother trying to fix an unfixable problem when I can take private jets filled with high-priced callgirls *today*?"

But hey, since we're evidently in "everyone's terrible" mode - people who insist on driving their car to work alone every day despite having mass transit options available and driving thru McDonald's on their way home aren't as guilty as an oil company CEO or the Koch Brothers, but it might be "mail clerk at the local Gestapo precinct" level.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 5, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

basic hitler posted:

excellent username/post combo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah its a shame we never hear any party insiders like President Obama endorsing expanding social security by raising the payroll tax cap.

e: Thats not to say that Dems haven't sucked at times because they definitely have. But all the hand-wringing over Dems not being perfect leftist angels is stupid when the other side is being actively evil.

You want to give him credit for that? Words are loving cheap, he didn't get it done.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I never understood the "Hillary is just as bad, Dems are just as bad" (I'm an independent) because so any of the republican positions I take issue with are so clearly grounded in xenophobia and religious discrimination and loving morality politics.

Like yes, obviously without question, dems suck lobbyist dill as hard as the republicans, but they aren't actively working against civil rights and healthcare and freedom of speech, they are just insanely bad at allocating and managing money, ethically.

That's why when comedies do political bits, republicans are painted in broad strokes and democratic sketches are almost universally character based, focusing on very specific people and events. A broad strokes republican is funny "I love the death penalty and Jesus and hate abortion and Gun Control" but trying to hit key democratic stereotypes just makes someone sound, like kind of reasonable to most people "I like healthcare and letting gay people interracial marry their immigrant spouse and don't wan't poor kids to starve to death".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wished the first ten minutes covered the British election.

But yeah, Oliver hammered the point that the Paris Agreement was aggressively unaggressive; and that pulling out of it embodies the worst nihilistic political posturing with damning consequences.

Ugh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

But yeah, Oliver hammered the point that the Paris Agreement was aggressively unaggressive; and that pulling out of it embodies the worst nihilistic political posturing with damning consequences.

Ugh.

He didn't even touch on the real reason Trump pulled out, it's because the euro leaders snubbed him at that NATO meeting and the new french guy shook his hand too hard. Trump is a whiny little bitch to his core.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

Ugh.

Yeah, the thing is that if Trump actually cared about the things he said were the reason for pulling out of the agreement, then he wouldn't have pulled out at all because all of that could have been addressed within the framework of the Paris Agreement. His actual reason for pulling out is entirely symbolic - basically to flip off the rest of the world just because he can.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've never actively wished for the death of my president before.. Is this what people felt like with Obama? Except for their entire premise being "a black man is President" of course, rather than a corrupt, incompetent, and possibly mentally ill white dude.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

I've never actively wished for the death of my president before.. Is this what people felt like with Obama? Except for their entire premise being "a black man is President" of course, rather than a corrupt, incompetent, and possibly mentally ill white dude.

Trump is like all the insane bullshit people claimed Obama was doing made reality.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Trump is like all the insane bullshit people claimed Obama was doing made reality.

No, charicature Obama was nefariously competent. It was all part of a master 10 point plan to destroy America and enslave the white race.

Actual Trump gets at least half his dumpster fire fuel from glaring incompetence and idiocy.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

coyo7e posted:

I think wishing for a politician's death is a lot screwed up. It was weird as hell for people to fantasize about it with Obama and it's weird as hell to do it with Trump

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Trump's doing a way better job of killing himself than anyone else could. The sheer fact that there wasn't a single legitimate attempt on Obama despite the virulent racism his presidency stirred up is proof we've become a pacified nation that's more content to bitch and moan on Twitter and messageboards than actually get off our asses.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

That or most people aren't stupid enough to make death threats or attempt to follow through on such things because the result will be the end of their life as they know it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Fine, democrats aren't nearly as bad as republicans, but they're still not good enough. They're bad, just not "as bad as".

Can we at least acknowledge that or should we just shut down anybody who even tries to suggest there's something wrong with the democratic party, as it is right now?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trump's doing a way better job of killing himself than anyone else could. The sheer fact that there wasn't a single legitimate attempt on Obama despite the virulent racism his presidency stirred up is proof we've become a pacified nation that's more content to bitch and moan on Twitter and messageboards than actually get off our asses.

There were probably hundreds, if not thousands of attempts on Obama, but the Secret Service doesn't disclose them.

It's just really hard to kill the President these days.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

There were probably hundreds, if not thousands of attempts on Obama, but the Secret Service doesn't disclose them.

It's just really hard to kill the President these days.

Well "attempts" usually denotes someone actually getting to the point of taking a shot at him. It was probably more along the lines of there were a bunch of people making PLANS, but were intercepted because they most likely discussed those plans heavily on Facebook.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those republican congressmen are dumb as loving retarded bricks of pigshit when it comes to understanding even the basics of earth science.
It infuriates me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Those republican congressmen are dumb as loving retarded bricks of pigshit when it comes to understanding even the basics of earth science.
It infuriates me.

To be honest it's probably only about 50% stupidity and 50% not giving a poo poo what happens to the planet after they've checked out. These are all guys in their 50's and 60's. If climate change is irreversible in 20 years what difference does that make to them? They can get paid to say it's not real NOW.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think term limits are a part of it too. It's very hard for a politician to campaign on something that won't pay off until they're long retired. I think in general we're bad at planning for stuff far in the future anyway. If we spotted an asteroid that was going to hit earth and kill everyone in a hundred years, we'd probably start working on an evacuation plan in ninety-nine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Servaetes posted:

That or most people aren't stupid enough to make death threats or attempt to follow through on such things because the result will be the end of their life as they know it
Well most people, but https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/06/05/evergreen-state-remains-closed-amid-another-threat-and-groups-frame-controversy

quote:

“Yes, I’m on my way to Evergreen University now with a .44 Magnum. I am gonna execute as many people on that campus as I can get a hold of. You have that? What’s going on there? You communist, scumbag town. I’m going to murder as many people on that campus as I can. Just keep your eyes open, you scumbag.”

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Was more referring to the whole president death wish threat thing not a school

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

I think wishing for a politician's death is a lot screwed up. It was weird as hell for people to fantasize about it with Obama and it's weird as hell to do it with Trump

Not really, *sort of*. It is a natural response to being attacked.

Unlike Obama the reasons are valid as Trump is loving everyone over. It's the wishes not based on reality that are hosed up ie; Obama being a secret Kenyan Muslim out to take all your guns. The people getting drone strike have a more a say than any American on wishing death on Obama.

King Vidiot posted:

Fine, democrats aren't nearly as bad as republicans, but they're still not good enough. They're bad, just not "as bad as".

Can we at least acknowledge that or should we just shut down anybody who even tries to suggest there's something wrong with the democratic party, as it is right now?

They are good enough when they are your only realistic choice in the system you have. How hard is this for all the hand wriggling people to understand? Not voting for Democrat means one more vote in favour of the Republicans. The democrats are not perfect but they represent you far, far better than any Republican.

If you want to change policy, write letters, attend meetings and if you have the resources, run for office under their flag so you can change things from the inside.

So yes I am strongly in favour of shutting people down at this time as it is self defeating especially in a political civil war.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

They are good enough when they are your only realistic choice in the system you have. How hard is this for all the hand wriggling people to understand? Not voting for Democrat means one more vote in favour of the Republicans. The democrats are not perfect but they represent you far, far better than any Republican.

If you want to change policy, write letters, attend meetings and if you have the resources, run for office under their flag so you can change things from the inside.

So yes I am strongly in favour of shutting people down at this time as it is self defeating especially in a political civil war.

This mentality leads to things like Hillary running again. We should be demanding better Democrats, not simply giving them our vote because of lesser of two evilism.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I voted for Bernie in the primary and Hillary in the general.

Does anyone consider the whole "lesser of two evils" debate new?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

This mentality leads to things like Hillary running again. We should be demanding better Democrats, not simply giving them our vote because of lesser of two evilism.

That is what the primaries and the lower level elections are for. Bernie didn't win, that is unfortunate but now you get behind the person that is is up there. The votes for Bernie didn't go to waste as it pulled Hillary's position tot he left. How is that not an improvement?

Be demanding yes, but you are at war, they need that vote and if you don't vote you don't count.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

That is what the primaries and the lower level elections are for. Bernie didn't win, that is unfortunate but now you get behind the person that is is up there. The votes for Bernie didn't go to waste as it pulled Hillary's position tot he left. How is that not an improvement?

Be demanding yes, but you are at war, they need that vote and if you don't vote you don't count.

I used to think this way too, but the 2016 election was a hell of a wake up call. The system is broken and keeps giving us politicians too willing to sell out our goals for nothing. I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done but simply trying to primary out the corporate types isn't possible, they have too much money/influence.

Like, do you think Bernie had an honest shot at winning the primary? I'm not going "DNC rigged it!" but they definitely had a preferred candidate and did everything they could to ensure she won.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I used to think this way too, but the 2016 election was a hell of a wake up call. The system is broken and keeps giving us politicians too willing to sell out our goals for nothing. I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done but simply trying to primary out the corporate types isn't possible, they have too much money/influence.

You have to work with what you have not what you wish. You broke your own brain.

If you don't want to vote anymore fine, but don't try to spread that poo poo on everyone else.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oohhboy posted:

You have to work with what you have not what you wish. You broke your own brain.

If you don't want to vote anymore fine, but don't try to spread that poo poo on everyone else.

For the record, I am not encouraging not voting, but if you promise that you'll vote D forever, then no one will care about your demands.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I am not encouraging not voting, but if you promise that you'll vote D forever, then no one will care about your demands.

Gee, not voting D made things better.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

I'm not going "DNC rigged it!" but they definitely had a preferred candidate and did everything they could to ensure she won.

And why not, exactly? They weren't making dead people vote for Hillary in California or anything, but the email leak certainly did a lot to clarify the situation. They rigged it to the extent they possibly could, and gleefully.

oohhboy posted:

Gee, not voting D made things better.

I hope you enjoyed your first time being glib on the internet.

The democrats are horrible because they rely on ascertained voting populations, notably minorities and young people. It gives them license to be just ever so slightly less lovely than the other guys, because they have those votes, so why bother taking a progressive, potentially risky position?

Oh, no reason?

They need to learn very, very quickly that they cannot rely on our votes with the stupid poo poo they pull. Internal DNC politics in the Trump era reminds me of post-9/11 Bush. For no good reason of his/their doing, he/they found themselves in a position of unanimity and goodwill. As pissed as we were about the 2000 election, we were willing to get behind our president in a scary, confusing time. He hosed us, and he hosed the world. And as pissed as we (the hard, hard left) were about how 2016 went, we were willing to give the democrats the time of day once more to do some housekeeping and recalibrate the party into a moral and productive force to be reckoned with.

The Dems have shat all over that idea, so to whatever minimal extent I can, I will be very forceful in reminding them that they have not earned my vote, marginally less-bad though they may be. They have an incredible moral prerogative at the moment, and they seen almost gleeful in squandering it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lesser of two evils argument is tired simply because every election is going to be that, at least to somebody.

People don't simply slot into one category of ideals. It's called a political spectrum for a reason. At some point, every voter is going to have to decide which viable candidates represents their ideals the best or which candidate will hurt their ideals the least. It would be the same if it was a one party or a 6 party system.

You want your ideals represented by higher government? Then cultivate those ideals at a lower level and weave them into the fabric of what makes a viable candidate.

All of this talk is moot until the level of discourse can be elevated though. This past election was one giant card table flip because someone was losing playing by the rules and we rewarded that behavior. There was not one thing of value in any of the debates. No real points were discussed. No one was able to make logical arguments supported by evidence.

At the end of the day, we're supposed to all want the same thing. That message got corrupted into an adversarial dialog. It's all about winning political points to keep favor with the base that installed you in power.

Instead of whipping up their bases, politicians should be in the business of convincing the other side that their plan is viable. Right now it's "We're going to pass this thing no matter what the other side has to say." Instead of "Here is why we think, point by point, that this would be the best direction for the country to take right now" That, however, presumes you are coming from a well thought out position to begin with rather than just fulfilling empty promises that got you elected.

Of course, none of this is new either. There are constant calls for more bipartisan legislation and more meaningful compromise, but we seem to get further and further from that goal.

All of that aside though, we are in a real crisis situation. 45 is an agent of chaos and every action he takes either lessens the standing of the US in the world or destabilizes already fragile situations. On top of ALL of that, the federal government can't even fend for itself due to lack of leadership at lower positions. It's not an exaggeration to say that the current administration is dismantling the country piece by piece. He's alienating allies, excusing us from global dialog, handing leadership roles to rival nations while at home every agency is becoming less functional by day.

For example, we're heading into hurricane season with no FEMA administrator and no one leading the NOAA. On top of that, funding for the NOAA is on the chopping block as well seriously hurting our ability to predict severe weather. So, not only are we ceding leadership to other countries for weather modeling, we do so at the direct expense of safety of our own citizens.

This is the result of refusing to participate in "lesser of two evils."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I have donated money to actblue, attended democratic fundraisers and volunteered. So I am in no way a purist or someone who will sit on the sidelines because the dems aren't left enough.

But if you think that the response to Trump's election is that the democrats will move left, you aren't paying attention. Even supposedly progressive forces and politicians are already trying hard to boost their centrist bonafides. Deray McKesson put out a newsletter boasting about being a ruthless school administrator when it came to firing teachers, and was tweeting about privatizing USPS. Brittany Packnett is a teach for america stooge. Mayor Garcetti went in front of a supposedly progressive crowd on a pod save America event and blamed increase in costs of high education on faculty salaries while adding that faculty salaries were like NBA salaries (which is the opposite of the actual data shows, which is that there is a near 1:1 relationship between cuts in public spending and tuition increase). So a supposedly progressive guy, in front of a supposedly progressive audience, with the facts and the data clearly showing that the cause was shrinking state support, decided to blame "superstar faculty" to thunderous applause. Tom Perez will dig a hole in the ground and hide the next time anyone asks him if he supports medicare for all.

I am joining the DSA, and will continue to vote democratic if there are no realistic alternatives. But democrats have made it absurdly clear that their strategy to fight Trump is to double down on centrism (at least when it comes to education and healthcare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hope you enjoyed your first time being glib on the internet.

Thanks for the welcome!

Remember who gave you ACA(Shame for missing single payer by one rear end in a top hat, my condolences)? Remember who pulled you out of the economy crashing and bringing back to some semblance of health? Who have been making it easier for immigrants? Who is not proposing tax breaks to the rich or not paying their fair share by giving tax holidays? LGBT community? Who raised USA's standing in the world? Helped wildlife. Net neutrality.

Look at what they have helped achieved instead of looking to punish(Very American) them for every slight transgression which has resulted them moving to the centre. Give them the carrot, the carrot you didn't give them in 2016 when they moved left from Bernie's effort. You have to turn out for them for them to turn out to you.

Then compare it to the party who is actively trying to kill everyone. Big choice.

Remember who blocked all those changes you wanted. It wasn't your own side.

Yeah some guys are gently caress ups and they need to go but you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

To boil it down : Win first then figure out what to do with the winnings.

• Locked thread