Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

we have Garou now we just need KOF 13/14 or Guilty Gear and we set

There's a Blazblue game coming, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo Switch will NEVER have a mainline Pokemon on it so just get that it off your head right now. Guarantee you when Gen 8 is announced, it won't be on Switch.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

irlZaphod posted:

I got to play a bit of Disgaea 5 over the weekend, I'm still doing tutorial missions but it's fun so far. It does seem a little overwhelming at times though with everything. Is it possible to view your Active quest list without running back to the Quest guy in the hub? That would be nice, it's not a huge deal but with a game like this with what seems to be a big focus on sidequests, it's just a little inconvenient.

Also, with Classes, I feel like sometimes the game is using "Class" and "Rank" interchangeably? Some of the sidequests to allow new classes to be recruitable talk about getting to a certain rank in "Mage" or "Fighter" or whatever. I think there's a few which I don't have yet anyway, but it's also somewhat confusing that there are usually a Male and Female version of what is essentially the same class (Clergy vs Cleric for example). If I have to get to a certain rank in "Healer", can I do that with either a Clergy or a Cleric?

If I enjoy this game, is it work checking out some of the earlier ones? I think there's a remake of 1 on the Vita (and the DS also), I have been curious about the series for a while so I've had a few of the earlier games on my PSN wishlist for a while.

I'll hopefully play a bit more this week.

This got lost in all the announcement hubbub.

To answer your first question, there's no way to check quest status without visiting the dude.

Classes have ranks. So take the Skull class. He starts as a Novice Skull, then when he gets enough experience, his class will rank up to Good Skull. So when you see a quest that requires "Rank 2 Skull" or something, it means you'll either need to level a Skull up enough to reach rank 2, OR set someone's subclass to Skull and level them up enough so the subclass levels. The game will give you a message when it happens, something like "SoandSo has mastered Novice Skull, Good Skull unlocked!"

All the quests should require a gender-specific class. Healer, for example, is the first rank of the Cleric. This can be super-confusing with some classes because the overall class shares its name with one of the ranks (Warrior, for example).

The earlier games are fun, but the loss of a lot of quality of life stuff as you move further back has the potential to be a huge downside. For example, D5 is the first time the Item World is truly fun; it was almost fun in D4, so-so in D3, and a chore before that. Instead I'd probably encourage you to check out some of the other NIS strategy RPGs, like Makai Kindgom or Phantom Brave.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames just told the thread not to start dumb arguments or he'll close it, and all of a sudden Utnayan comes in shitposting the same argument he's hashed out multiple times over the last 3 months. Don't take the bait please.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
if its chicken flavored bait i cant help myself :yum:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Top tier thread title change

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can see your point and it's given me something to think about, but I dont understand why you felt the need to put in that comment at the end. It feels like you're trying to intimidate me or make me feel bad about my posting history and I'm not sure that's warranted.

It's my honest to god observation. I don't think it's a particularly nasty remark, not any nastier than:

TFRazorsaw posted:

There is no practical reason to put it on the Switch that isn't pleasing fanboys with skewed priorities.

Don't play the victim card my dude, a little snark is not an "attempt to intimidate you." I'm not looking for a forums slapfight, I just found your assertive stance on "pokemon on switch would be the dumbest idea" to be very inaccurate

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

just some good natured bantz here in the nintend switch thread

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Grimshak posted:

On eBay: 1254 listings for the Nintendo Switch (console). Lets be generous and say another 500 listings were not listed properly. Lets be more generous and say each person is selling 5. I also did this search without the category selected, but anything above $300 and only got 1200 results.

Thats a very generous ~9000. Out of millions of units sold. But maybe they sold all the stock by now?

Go to eBay, search Nintendo Switch, filter only completed listings. eBay shows the last 90 days of history, and it shows ~25,000 listings completed. Scalpers are affecting some people, but its not an actual problem like people who can't seem to get up early enough to buy a Switch make it out to be.

Dude there's a whole black market in the deep web specifically for switch scalpers that's listing 3,4 million units, including mine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

It's my honest to god observation. I don't think it's a particularly nasty remark, not any nastier than:

Don't play the victim card my dude, a little snark is not an "attempt to intimidate you." I'm not looking for a forums slapfight, I just found your assertive stance on "pokemon on switch would be the dumbest idea" to be very inaccurate

tfrazorsaw is right tho

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Healbot posted:

Dude there's a whole black market in the deep web specifically for switch scalpers that's listing 3,4 million units, including mine.

its the same black market that nintendo runs based around artificially scarce amiibo. stay woke

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Nintendo switch snark tank

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In the interests of fairness the rest of that NeoGAF thread is either mocking or completely ignoring that particular 'I will not "calm down"' goober. (Why is 'calm down' in quotation marks?)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I didn't really focus on specific individuals with that, so it seems a fair bit different. I said that because I earnest believed the market that it would actually appeal to is categorically small. Your comment seemed directly personal.

In any case, I admitted I saw your point. I don't know if I agree with it because it feels like it might split the difference in ways BOTW having two versions didn't (people still but the 3DS and Nintendo continues to push new models for it). But it did make me think.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
My dream would be Monster Hunter XX for the West news over e3. I might buy the Japanese version when it comes out, but I tried playing the Japanese version with MH4 and it ridiculously hard.

Pureauthor posted:

In the interests of fairness the rest of that NeoGAF thread is either mocking or completely ignoring that particular 'I will not "calm down"' goober. (Why is 'calm down' in quotation marks?)

I had no idea how bad NeoGAF was until today. I think I may be blind.

Grimshak fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 6, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Does MonHun even have any spoken dialog? I'd think it'd be a fast translation job between the fact it's all text and it's based off of a game that's already been translated to English.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ethanol posted:

The Nintendo switch snark tank: No, I will NOT calm down.

Mister Sir Bideogames, if you would?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I would genuinely be shocked if Capcom didn't announce MHXX for Western release at E3. Like drat when else would you decide to do that?

What do you think they'de call it? "Cross-Generations"?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My left joycon is pretty much unusable. Is there an idiot-proof way to home fix this, or should I just bite the bullet and get the pro controller?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

also your remark was directly personal about one person not an offhand about audience priorities. if youre not looking for slapfights maybe dont run around slapping people.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Generations Deluxe

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Fuligin posted:

My left joycon is pretty much unusable. Is there an idiot-proof way to home fix this, or should I just bite the bullet and get the pro controller?

you can send it to nintendo to be repaired, for free. they even pay for shipping both ways iirc

that said, get a pro controller anyways. or wait for the splatoon 2 colored one. the pro controller is excellent

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuligin posted:

Get that poo poo sent to Nintendo, it's a known issue with a known fix and you are entitled to a repair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo Switch will NEVER have a mainline Pokemon on it so just get that it off your head right now. Guarantee you when Gen 8 is announced, it won't be on Switch.

What sort of guarantee are you offering here?

I think this will largely depend on just how successful they perceive the Switch to be. I feel like Nintendo probably had a plan A: switch goes gangbusters, collapse 3DS dev teams into switch and run single platform going forward, or plan B: switch is meh, keep 3DS going too.

Time will tell I suppose.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blazing Zero posted:

you can send it to nintendo to be repaired, for free. they even pay for shipping both ways iirc

that said, get a pro controller anyways. or wait for the splatoon 2 colored one. the pro controller is excellent

How do you box it? Mine has been fine for the past few months and just started acting up. Do they send you a box, do I need to provide a box, or is it going in one of the flat-rate boxes?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I was reluctant about sending it to Nintendo because then I can't play Botw for however many days, but I'm definitely not confident enough to home repair it so... dang oh well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What happens if the eventual 3DS successor...just turns out to be a smaller form factor Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QXGz0k7Ak

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

What happens if the eventual 3DS successor...just turns out to be Switch

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I would genuinely be shocked if Capcom didn't announce MHXX for Western release at E3. Like drat when else would you decide to do that?

What do you think they'de call it? "Cross-Generations"?

GX

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ethanol posted:

The Nintendo switch snark tank

The Switch to decaf .

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

pixaal posted:

How do you box it? Mine has been fine for the past few months and just started acting up. Do they send you a box, do I need to provide a box, or is it going in one of the flat-rate boxes?

i thought they give you a shipping label you print out and tape to any box? the only thing ive ever sent to nintendo for repair was a old ds sp that i bought doa and that's what i had to do

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do you search for an individual tweet? I want to find the one from Tom Phillips earlier this year where he staked his reputation that Pokemon Stars for Switch was a thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How do you search for an individual tweet? I want to find the one from Tom Phillips earlier this year where he staked his reputation that Pokemon Stars for Switch was a thing.

https://twitter.com/search-advanced?lang=en

Twitter advanced search

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

They send you a shipping label, they tell you to put it in a box with some padding and send it back to them. Just reuse an Amazon box or grab a small box from an office supply store.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't really focus on specific individuals with that, so it seems a fair bit different. I said that because I earnest believed the market that it would actually appeal to is categorically small. Your comment seemed directly personal.

In any case, I admitted I saw your point. I don't know if I agree with it because it feels like it might split the difference in ways BOTW having two versions didn't (people still but the 3DS and Nintendo continues to push new models for it). But it did make me think.

Fair enough, you're right that there's no need to get personal.

I don't have any inside operating knowledge of sales or their internal strategies, but I think that the average consumer is going to expect to be able to buy the new pokemon on the new nintendo, the WiiU was an exercise in what happens when you confuse consumers. Or make them lose their faith in your ability to deliver/need to nickel-and-dime.

In addition, I want the switch to be the next handheld. I don't want another DS because I don't want more poo poo to buy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, and Nintendo choosing to keep its cash cow within the 3DS family is not making me excited about picking up a Switch.

We'll see what E3 has to offer because I am almost sure they have to release a pokemon game on the switch. It just seems really outdated and old school of them not to

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuligin posted:

I was reluctant about sending it to Nintendo because then I can't play Botw for however many days, but I'm definitely not confident enough to home repair it so... dang oh well.

For what it's worth the pro controller is a good controller if you're interested in a better traditional controller than the joycon grip. I have sausage fingers but holding the accelerate button for Fast RMX and Mario Kart 8 would hurt after a while on the smaller joycon buttons.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 6, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ornamented Death posted:

This got lost in all the announcement hubbub.

To answer your first question, there's no way to check quest status without visiting the dude.

Classes have ranks. So take the Skull class. He starts as a Novice Skull, then when he gets enough experience, his class will rank up to Good Skull. So when you see a quest that requires "Rank 2 Skull" or something, it means you'll either need to level a Skull up enough to reach rank 2, OR set someone's subclass to Skull and level them up enough so the subclass levels. The game will give you a message when it happens, something like "SoandSo has mastered Novice Skull, Good Skull unlocked!"

All the quests should require a gender-specific class. Healer, for example, is the first rank of the Cleric. This can be super-confusing with some classes because the overall class shares its name with one of the ranks (Warrior, for example).
Thank you, I was planning on reposting this when all the Pokemon stuff died down (I've been away for a few days so only found out about the Direct today, in this thread).

Yeah I think maybe the Ranks sometimes being named the same as the Class had me confused, and I guess I didn't realise how different the different genders were. I thought there were just stat/skill differences for them, but it seems more like they're treated as different classes. I was aware that Ranks increased/changed, but looking at the Class tab on the Characters status page was somewhat confusing also. I think it just lists the main Class, with the ranks (as Stars) next to it I'm guessing? Obviously there is a lot there which isn't unlocked for me yet.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What will it be on then

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

well why not posted:

Does MonHun even have any spoken dialog? I'd think it'd be a fast translation job between the fact it's all text and it's based off of a game that's already been translated to English.

This is what seems frustrating to me! So many other companies can do simultaneous releases in different languages no problem; most of them have spoken dialogue. In Monster Hunter its all grunts and shouts (which don't get re-dubbed).

I chalk it up to Monster Hunter's lack of popularity in the West. Its popular amongst Nintendo fans/more devoted gamers, but most people that just play games occasionally have never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

C-SPAN Caller posted:

What will it be on then

Not that I agree with the quoted poster, but I'm gonna guess cell phones

• Locked thread