Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Walton Simons posted:

Someone mentioned the horrible scanning minigame in Mass Effect 2 in another thread. I seem to remember that Uranus uniquely had no minerals whatsoever so there was zero point in scanning it or probing it, so when you ordered a probe to be fired at it the computer wouldn't do it the first time and would say 'Really, commander?' and if you pressed it again would say '...probing Uranus'. You could almost hear the eye roll, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The only monster rancher I played was four and as a kid my sisters and I loved raiding the house for DVDs and seeing what we'd get. I have no idea if monster rancher 4 is considered one of the "good" ones, but as far as I know it's the only one that had dungeons and boss battles, and those were pretty cool.

Spent a lot of time trying to find a Phoenix and never found one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's important to practice good hygiene
Specially if you wanna roll with my team

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My favorite monster obtainment technique in Monster Rancher 1 is the Doodle. It's literally a living 2-D stick figure. You get him by first raising the black monolith from 2001 to a high fame, then entering it into a tournament way below its weight class. People will get angry and draw graffiti on it. Breed that monolith with something else and the graffiti will come to life.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Darkness II

Your character is the head of a crime family, and his penthouse is your home base for the entire game. The story structure is to start in your penthouse, go to a level to fight, then return to your penthouse for the next level.

At some point your penthouse gets attacked. The following missions show your house in different states of renovation. First you see scaffolding to reach the cracked dome window in your ceiling, then you see the walls have been respackled to cover the bullet holes.

One of your mobsters is called Butcher Joyce and most of his soundbytes refer to butcher terms or cutting things up. During the cleanup part of your penhouse, you can find Joyce in the bathroom trying to stuff a leg down the toilet and by his feet are a set of dismembered corpses neatly arranged over tarp. When you talk to him he casually offers condolences over what happened in the last mission and promptly returns to his job.

It is the funniest bit of dark humor in the game.

Also, i gotta commend any game that offers real-time reflections in mirrors even if they end up looking extremely muddy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Monster Rancher must have sucked if you didn't own many cds, wow. I've never heard of anyone playing those. Did anyone ever do a LP or something?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You could get in-game items called fragments that would let you breed species even if you didn't have physical cds.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

Monster Rancher must have sucked if you didn't own many cds, wow. I've never heard of anyone playing those. Did anyone ever do a LP or something?

I'm not sure if a record turntable would hook up to the console, that just sounds impractical.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine had a collection of CDs that peaked at around 2,000. He did nothing but play Monster Rancher until he finally realized he'd never get through all of them and was also failing one of his classes.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

There are four LPs on the archive (here's the link) - Mr. Swoon's LPs are narratively connected, and are pretty amazing from what I can remember of them. They're all audience-participation driven, though - it probably would have taken a lot more effort than Swoon wanted to give to actually show everything off!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I went back and played through all the tony hawk games recently and BioEnchanted is spot-on about THAW. The soundtrack is by far the best in the series, and all the major mission objectives not only make your home skate park cooler, but it makes areas of the map more easily accessible to skating. It's way easier to combo through areas once you've "completed" them.

Also, the story is just completely absurd in a way that is somehow more restrained in presentation but WAY more stupid than THUG2 was. That was trying to be zany for the sake of zany, but THAW has you skate-fight an oil rig as part of the plot and it wasn't just a random thing that would happen like in previous games, it was actually built up to. :psyduck:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

thecluckmeme posted:

I went back and played through all the tony hawk games recently and BioEnchanted is spot-on about THAW. The soundtrack is by far the best in the series, and all the major mission objectives not only make your home skate park cooler, but it makes areas of the map more easily accessible to skating. It's way easier to combo through areas once you've "completed" them.

Also, the story is just completely absurd in a way that is somehow more restrained in presentation but WAY more stupid than THUG2 was. That was trying to be zany for the sake of zany, but THAW has you skate-fight an oil rig as part of the plot and it wasn't just a random thing that would happen like in previous games, it was actually built up to. :psyduck:

Looking forward to that, just need to get money to pay the boat man to get to the oil rig. Never got this far before. Also some of the pieces score requirements to practice on them seem really random, some basic things from Chinatown needed 21000/30000 point combos on them but the Santa Monica stuff only needed 3000-5000 score. Really weird I thought it would keep inflating.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never actually "played" Monster Rancher but I put CD's to see what monsters came out of it for months.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
One thing I loved about Monster Rancher (that might also fit in the Video Game Hoaxes and Rumors thread) was your friends swearing that they put in the single for KoRn's "Freak on a Leash" and it produced the actual Satan in the game or some other outlandish claim.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Other PlayStation games also worked, as did pc games. I even made monsters off of the free AOL CDs that came in the mail by the literal ton.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Other PlayStation games also worked, as did pc games. I even made monsters off of the free AOL CDs that came in the mail by the literal ton.

From what I remember they generated a monster based on the checksum of the disk, so anything worked as long as it had some data on it. You could probably have burned CDs with random junk, or even specific junk to get a specific checksum.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Slime posted:

From what I remember they generated a monster based on the checksum of the disk, so anything worked as long as it had some data on it. You could probably have burned CDs with random junk, or even specific junk to get a specific checksum.

Correct.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd love to see a modern Monster Rancher but I have no idea what it could use for seeds to generate the monsters these days. Physical media is kinda dead, files or images or similar things like that feel too sharable (here's a zip of all the best monsters, have fun), and the game without the generation gimmick probably doesn't stand enough on its own.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I'd love to see a modern Monster Rancher but I have no idea what it could use for seeds to generate the monsters these days. Physical media is kinda dead, files or images or similar things like that feel too sharable (here's a zip of all the best monsters, have fun), and the game without the generation gimmick probably doesn't stand enough on its own.

YouTube URLS or barcodes.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It had a lot less content variety, and it was maybe too easy in a lot of ways, but I had a lot of fun playing Monster Rancher Advance instead of paying attention in class in high school.

Anyway, I think about this Monster Rancher video (from Mr. Swoon's LP series) way too much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4jI9CUNGY

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Post poste posted:

YouTube URLS or barcodes.

barcodes are as sharable as files if not more so and YouTube urls could easily be abusable (hey look this gamergater's 43 minute rant about censorship in fire emblem gets you a rare suezo!!)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
DNA samples. Get a needle and start taking samples of blood from your friends! Tell everyone that Jeff's blood gets you a really rare monster!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Current gen games, older games, Blu-ray, DVD, and CDs exist still. There's zero reason a game using them couldn't work. Even if I personally am 100% digital with my media I can still go to the library, Redbox, or salvation army to find resources.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

Current gen games, older games, Blu-ray, DVD, and CDs exist still. There's zero reason a game using them couldn't work. Even if I personally am 100% digital with my media I can still go to the library, Redbox, or salvation army to find resources.

I don't have a working CD drive in my computer and after at least three years I haven't needed to use it once. Several people I know don't even have one installed. I think your suggestion might be the most reasonable if a new game in the series actually gets made, but I'm still not sure it's the best way.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If a new monster rancher was made it most certainly wouldn't be on PC.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, I was speaking to having a new one come out for console.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

If a new monster rancher was made it most certainly wouldn't be on PC.

Sure it would, you just load .exe files into the monster creation and it creates a monster based on the hex values of the .exe

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

flatluigi posted:

Why not just random images? Later Monster Rancher games on the DS let you write words in and draw pictures to generate monsters. Shoving goatse into the game and seeing what hellspawn comes out would be great.

Anyway since we're still talking about Monster Rancher, how bout Jade Cocoon. Another great PS1 monster raising game. It started with your main hero having a weird dream about a big burly man, and ends with a father-son jam session saving the whole world. In between you enslave random creatures from a forest, trap them in silkworm cocoons and fuse them together to create unholy abominations by ripping the skin off one and draping it over the body of the other. Once you understand how the fusion system works it's great but if you gently caress up you can wind up with an armless lobster that only knows how to punch but has zero arms.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Nuebot posted:

Once you understand how the fusion system works it's great but if you gently caress up you can wind up with an armless lobster that only knows how to punch but has zero arms.

I Have No Arms, But I Must Punch

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mods please change my name to Armless Punch Lobster

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
IMO it isn't the "spawn monsters from disks" gimmick that makes the Monster Rancher games good. It's unique, certainly, but I like the personality the monsters have + the combat system.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Make it a mobile game and you have to scan barcodes.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I really appreciate the way unarmed combat works in Tyranny. Everything runs off Dodge, because who Parries a sword with their bare hands?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

jon joe posted:

IMO it isn't the "spawn monsters from disks" gimmick that makes the Monster Rancher games good. It's unique, certainly, but I like the personality the monsters have + the combat system.

The disk thing was a lot of fun. I spent more than a few afternoons going through my parent's music collections, looking for something cool. But Monster Rancher was the first game that got me saying "one more turn" for six hours, while making my little dinosaur's numbers go up.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TontoCorazon posted:

Make it a mobile game and you have to scan barcodes.

So basically we take those barcode/qr code 3d waifu games, and add a fighting element.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Base it on GPS coordinates. Get a super-rare monster by visiting the company's headquarters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Another monster raising game with a pretty cool twist was Magic Pengel, its monster creating gimmick was that it had a 2d art program and it would procedurally generate your doodles into 3d monsters. It had a sequel that was a platformer instead of a Pokemon/Monster Rancher as well, neither of them had particularly amazing gameplay but it was a surprisingly robust system for creating creatures if you were willing to put in the time and creativity required.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann posted:

Another monster raising game with a pretty cool twist was Magic Pengel, its monster creating gimmick was that it had a 2d art program and it would procedurally generate your doodles into 3d monsters. It had a sequel that was a platformer instead of a Pokemon/Monster Rancher as well, neither of them had particularly amazing gameplay but it was a surprisingly robust system for creating creatures if you were willing to put in the time and creativity required.

Being 13 or 14 at the time all monsters were dicks. Always dicks.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

FredMSloniker posted:

Base it on GPS coordinates. Get a super-rare monster by visiting the company's headquarters.

Better to arrange a deal with a big retailer or something like 'go to Target and scan the barcode on your x purchase' and then take commission on each scanned sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

The sequel, Graffiti Kingdom, was really simplistic but fun. The more color you used the better your creature was so if you were like me and couldn't draw for poo poo you'd just make a big spiky orange blob and blob everything to death because orange was an offensive color.

Some people managed to make really awesome things with it, however.