Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's an odd request; it's easy to find videos of high level pro matches, but what about beginner/intermediate play? As a Tekken noob myself it might be fun (or even a little educational) to watch other people struggle too :haw: Anyone got any youtube or twitch channels with this sorta stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Your Computer posted:

Here's an odd request; it's easy to find videos of high level pro matches, but what about beginner/intermediate play? As a Tekken noob myself it might be fun (or even a little educational) to watch other people struggle too :haw: Anyone got any youtube or twitch channels with this sorta stuff?

There are dozens upon dozens of people on Twitch streaming Tekken 7 at all hours of the day. Only a few of these people are actually good. If you're actively looking for mediocre play, the world is your oyster.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

There are dozens upon dozens of people on Twitch streaming Tekken 7 at all hours of the day. Only a few of these people are actually good. If you're actively looking for mediocre play, the world is your oyster.

Well sure, but the average Twitch stream is also really really awful :v: That's why I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I've tried trawling through twitch a couple of times with other games to see if I can find something enjoyable to watch but there's just so much poo poo.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CEO is next week and assuming they'll stream at least some of the pools there will be players of all sorts of skill levels shown early on in the tournament.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Re: Tournaments, I ran a couple last night on PC but most broke in some way. One broke because someone left during the first round, one broke and I'm not sure how because I just got (Opponent has left the match, returning to the menu) and it disbanded the tournament. I was host both times.

When they work they're really fun. I had a group of 4 people jumping into each of the tournaments I made so we had some good chatting going on, and it was fun to watch the finalists. There was a pair of ridiculously good sets between a Drago and Yoshi that went the distance with the second round being a 5 round fight.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

Strings :arghfist::(
I looked at her movelist and there's so many strings and they're all so fast. It's like playing a turbo battle!

I thought Chloe was considered good, what changed? Or rather, what makes her that bad?

Chloe was never considered good. Though this should probably be pinned somewhere:

"Everyone is completely viable in Tekken 7"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

guts and bolts posted:

Is Jin playable if you can't reliably EWHF on a pad

Because that's where I am

Yes, very much so, he doesn't rely on EWHF like the Mishimas rely on theirs. It's the cherry on top of his big cake full of good buttons.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Watch DandyJ's stream for tips on how to execute carbohydrate-based zoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1p_I3dwmo

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I was gonna nab the PC version of the game at some point in the future, but since the matchmaking is so messed up on PS4 currently, now seemed as good a time as any. Thanks to an earlier goon who suggested gamersgate, saved me some 10 bucks.

My streaming/gaming rig is pretty recent and significantly Shway enough that I've been able to run a few hours session in Ultra without any real noticed issues. Still, I prefer ensuring a smooth ride if possible. Are there any settings I should turn off from the Ultra preset, maybe something that's known to cause issues or is just kinda useless?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Since ranked is still broken on PS4, anybody want to get some tournaments going tonight?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekken made me get mad at my ls-32 in my stick so i threw my jlf back in. The inputs are so strict that with the short throw on the seimitsu i was getting hold up/ hold down moves instead of tap up / tap down moves if i waited until i hit the gate to tap a button. I was pulling my hair out for a while trying to figure out why i was jumping instead of side stepping.

Well thats my noob story about blaming hardware for being bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meridian posted:

Since ranked is still broken on PS4, anybody want to get some tournaments going tonight?

Sure. Ill check the discord when im free tonight to see whats going on

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

Watch Aris / Avoidingthepuddle

He's not the greatest player n the planet, though he is good, and he's constantly giving out A+ information (and horrible off colour jokes about Josie Rizals 'sweater dicks' but hey)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Have they said anything about changing how tournaments work? Everything falling apart when the host quits sounds like a really bad oversight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does the host have to participate in the tournament? Is there any way someone could set up a tournament and go AFK for a while? Or do they have to invite/fight?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hosts have to participate. I've just started running tournaments on pc around 8 or 9 central for a couple hours since I know I'm not going to ditch if I lose and I want to learn more about how people play other characters.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

I'm gonna be running + streaming tournaments tonight at 7 eastern (ps4). Anyone who shows up in chat can join. I'll post a link when the stream starts.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm gonna be running + streaming tournaments tonight at 7 eastern (ps4). Anyone who shows up in chat can join. I'll post a link when the stream starts.

Perfect, I will just jump into yours.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Little too late for me. If i'm still up, i'd be happy to join in

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I can play Josie after all... even if you skip the Win cutscene, the audio will still play and I die a little inside every time her "I can't believe I won :qq:" voiceline plays. Oh and also because I'm ridiculously bad at her and even the CPU is owning the hell out of me.

Speaking of being bad, I'm trying to use more movement and I just get so badly punished for it (again, even by the CPU). Sidesteps feel completely worthless, even a jab tracks enough to hit you? And when I try to backstep, most of the time I'm hit in between the b taps. I just can't get used to movement in this game, it's so clunky.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Are there hidden customizations, not listed on the customization list until they've been unlocked? I saw a video of a guy wearing what appeared to be King's Tekken 2 outfit - not just the t-shirt design with a tie, it had physics and everything.

The classic costumes like this and Jin's Tekken 4 outfit are unfortunately PS4 exclusives

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sushi Face posted:

Loved Tekken 2 and 3 as a kid and picked this up to relive those games. Turns out Tekken 7 is loving awesome?

Not sure who to play yet but have a few characters I like. Kind of swinging towards Lili at the moment as although I'm not a huge fan of her she does have my last name so I feel a sense of strange loyalty.

Rochefort army.

I also loved and played a poo poo ton of Tekken 3 as a kid. For Honor got me back into thinking and wanting to play fighting games. Is Tekken 7 (PC) worth picking up?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

1500 posted:

I also loved and played a poo poo ton of Tekken 3 as a kid. For Honor got me back into thinking and wanting to play fighting games. Is Tekken 7 (PC) worth picking up?

It's a very good port (the best version of the game available, currently) and is really fun if you're into things with an incredibly high skill ceiling! Also the dress up dollies mode is pretty good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dress-up, I just found out how the chests work. When you get every common item, brown chests start just giving gold instead. Same for the other tiers. If you have most of the items, 90% of your chests in treasure mode is going to contain pitiful amounts of gold :smith: For some reason I assumed it would start giving you higher tier items once you had depleted all the lower tier ones so it wouldn't take forever. I was wrong!

Trykt posted:

It's a very good port (the best version of the game available, currently) and is really fun if you're into things with an incredibly high skill ceiling! Also the dress up dollies mode is pretty good.
...and skill floor! :v: I'm currently suffering from the newbie blues, this game is brutal and as someone who haven't played fighting games before it's.. overwhelming.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 7, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
This is important then: what tier is the long Japanese headband in?

I need it for my Ricky Steamboat and Piston Honda outfits for Law.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CascadeBeta posted:

This is important then: what tier is the long Japanese headband in?

I need it for my Ricky Steamboat and Piston Honda outfits for Law.

I couldn't tell you with certainty what tier of unlock it's in, but I have it unlocked and I'm god awful at Tekken. I think I got it out of a Silver box?

Treasure Battle is such a nice thing for a newbie, i can do 5 minutes of training mode to half-remember a quarter of a characters moves and then go try and figure stuff out on the fly fighting a bunch of crazy murder-hobos in fanciful costumes for prizes. It even let me make the best Bob costume ever after only a few matches. A shame I'm liking Dragunov better than Bob now. :v:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

There was a playlist linked in the Discord and probably also here with some standard bnbs for every character, so I transcribed the ones with characters I'm interested in. I'm sorry if these have already been done or if my notation and formatting is confusing but I sorta banged them out real quick. Also they're not complete ultimate comprehensive stuff because the videos weren't, either, so some less used starters or paths might not be represented.

Claudio: https://pastebin.com/smvJShtJ
Gigas: https://pastebin.com/UzGqqL2R
Katarina: https://pastebin.com/weNuzsqT
Kazumi: https://pastebin.com/VMjjBLUT
Lucky Chloe: https://pastebin.com/EbbZXac2
Shaheen: https://pastebin.com/a0Rud9X4

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Your Computer posted:

I'm not sure I can play Josie after all... even if you skip the Win cutscene, the audio will still play and I die a little inside every time her "I can't believe I won :qq:" voiceline plays. Oh and also because I'm ridiculously bad at her and even the CPU is owning the hell out of me.

She's supposed to be a model and a professional kickboxer but her intro is her being nervous and loving crying because Japan.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Josie looks like a rabbit

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Trykt posted:

Gonna share some generally important lessons for newer peeps that I've learned from playing Tekken and 3D fighting games in general over the years . Some/all of this might seem super obvious but I promise each of these bullet points was a genuine fuckin' epiphany for me at some point:
  • Learn your punishes first - If you can't consistently punish unsafe moves then people WILL abuse them against you. Make sure you can at least attempt to do basic punishment, which includes knowing which moves you can actually punish with a combo instead of a single hit or string.
  • Block high, react to lows - This is kind of upside-down from 2D games. Your general goal on defense is to default to stand blocking to defend against highs and mids, and react to throws with a break input and react to lows (which are generally slowish moves) with a low block or low parry (then punish).
  • Mids are the baseline of your offense - As above, lows are generally slower/riskier, and High hitting moves generally have great properties but will always have the liability of being duckable which can lead to punishes/interrupts of varying severity. You need to threaten with mid hitting attacks very often to keep the opponent honest.
  • Learn to convert off wall hits - Something that really intimidated me about learning TTT2 was figuring out how to alter my combos to include walls, but it turns out this is really easy. Every character will have 1 or 2 moves/strings that are basically meant to "pick up" a combo on an opponent that splats on a wall and you basically just go straight into this ASAP when the wall hit happens, then finish with a combo ender. Then it's oki as usual, that's it.

I hope that's helpful to somebody! Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Quoting myself here (editing out the bullet point that was not quite correct) to help all the new people showing up with interest in this game! Please, PLEASE ask questions about details on anything above, for example punishment speed tiers; I feel like punishment as important as it is, is not actually intuitive to most people cause it's so rare to see randos (goons or otherwise) actually punishing unsafe poo poo.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
How do you know what moves are punishes? For example, I play a lot of Law, and I've used his d/b3 to combat mids and it also launches which I can combo, and his ff4 with armor can beat spam as well as bb34, at least how I use him. But I guess I don't really know if these are really punishes at all.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

How do you know what moves are punishes? For example, I play a lot of Law, and I've used his d/b3 to combat mids and it also launches which I can combo, and his ff4 with armor can beat spam as well as bb34, at least how I use him. But I guess I don't really know if these are really punishes at all.

In this case Trykt is referring specifically to punishing blocked moves. Go into training, have the dummy do the move, block it and try to punish with one of your own moves. If it says "punish" on the screen, it means you hit the opponent while he was in recovery from the attack you blocked, i.e. it's guaranteed damage whenever you block that attack.

I also made a video about this topic last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dXNHcUhCA

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trykt posted:

Watch DandyJ's stream for tips on how to execute carbohydrate-based zoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1p_I3dwmo

If this video doesn't get you to buy Tekken 7 then I don't think anything will.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I should never have tried to play without hopkicks, I'm realizing how ridiculously bad I am at anything that's not "throw out hopkick and hope the enemy runs into it" and it's disheartening as gently caress. I just lost three matches in a row against easy CPUs in treasure mode and I'm quickly transforming into an industrial salt factory. Please send aid.

Yodzilla posted:

She's supposed to be a model and a professional kickboxer but her intro is her being nervous and loving crying because Japan.
Before release I wanted to play her because she sounded cool and I like her character design, but then I saw those animations and I just... why, Japan, why :negative: I'd pay money for a voice/animation pack that made her act less anime (yeah that's not happening is it...)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
imagine caring that much about a winscreen

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/patch-dates-for-tekken-7-on-pc-ps4-xb1

tldr:
-Patch today to fix drm on pc version?
-Patch "end of week" to fix matchmaking on PS4
-Patch next week to fix matchmaking on xb1 and pc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

http://eu.tekken.com/#!/en/news/patch-dates-for-tekken-7-on-pc-ps4-xb1

tldr:
-Patch today to fix drm on pc version?
-Patch "end of week" to fix matchmaking on PS4
-Patch next week to fix matchmaking on xb1 and pc

Yay

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Your Computer posted:

I should never have tried to play without hopkicks, I'm realizing how ridiculously bad I am at anything that's not "throw out hopkick and hope the enemy runs into it" and it's disheartening as gently caress. I just lost three matches in a row against easy CPUs in treasure mode and I'm quickly transforming into an industrial salt factory. Please send aid.

Before release I wanted to play her because she sounded cool and I like her character design, but then I saw those animations and I just... why, Japan, why :negative: I'd pay money for a voice/animation pack that made her act less anime (yeah that's not happening is it...)

CPUs teach you bad habits anyway. Maybe you're learning the one true path.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

CPUs teach you bad habits anyway. Maybe you're learning the one true path.
They totally do and I just remembered posting this earlier in the thread

Your Computer posted:

I'm beating a lot of CPUs but basically all I'm doing is hopkick - combo - hopkick - combo and I think I might be picking up some bad habits here :thunk:
Even I can see the humor in this turn of events :haw:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

imagine caring that much about a winscreen
Nah, that's not it at all. I'm just disappointed at my own incompetence in the matches, not the result of the matches. I think it's mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing, so when I try to pressure I just get punished because I don't actually know how to pressure. Or I try to move around and I get punished because I don't really know how to use movement. The part that feels bad is that I'm not sure how to improve since I'm not sure what I should be doing differently, you know? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

Nah, that's not it at all. I'm just disappointed at my own incompetence in the matches, not the result of the matches. I think it's mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing, so when I try to pressure I just get punished because I don't actually know how to pressure. Or I try to move around and I get punished because I don't really know how to use movement. The part that feels bad is that I'm not sure how to improve since I'm not sure what I should be doing differently, you know? :shobon:

I think he was talking about Josie