Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why did the elf man put his dirty, hairy feet on a table people are meant to eat on?

They're not moderns, they don't give a gently caress about hygiene. FFS they went camping/hiking for a year without a scrap of toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

It seems like Bob might not be in control of Evil Coop. Or perhaps he's just letting Evil Coop think he's in control but Bob is.

When looking into the mirror Mr. C says something akin to "You're still in there.... Good" which implies of course that Mr. C isn't 100% in control of bob but together they're doing something that is mutually beneficial to the both of them. It's possible that every now and again Bob gets free reign of Mr. C and gets to have Bob style fun while Mr. C gets something else out of the arrangement... possibly even some supernatural capabilities.

The scene from the end of season two in which doppelganger coop and bob are gnashing their teeth joyously makes me think that at that moment they together cooked up a plan on how to get out of the black lodge and go gently caress up the earthly plane as partners in inter-dimensional super crime.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who the gently caress puts cheese on a pie?!!?

Should....I try it?

Some people like to put a very thin slice of sharp cheddar on top of apple pie. I think it might be a New England regional thing.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
lol if you have never eaten a cheese, bacon and steak pie

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Some people like to put a very thin slice of sharp cheddar on top of apple pie. I think it might be a New England regional thing.

They do it in the midwest. Can also be done with American cheese.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

American sounds nasty, the only cheese on pie I've ever heard of has been gruyere, which is sort of a cross between sharp cheddar and swiss. Its not really what you would picture either. The cheese is put on lightly and it cooks into the crust. There is no gooey cheese pizza thing or whatever happening. http://www.onelovelylife.com/pear-with-gruyere-pie/

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
who likes green tomato pie

(it tastes kinda like apple pie)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hell, in the midwest it's usually not even actual cheese, it's a Kraft Single. I've never tried it because midwestern food is vile as a rule and I don't trust all the people that say "this one is actually good!" anymore.

Gruyere or Brie I could see, though, but definitely in moderation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My fat Texan friend's family thought "vegetables" implicitly suggested "with cheese on top", which usually meant boiled broccoli with kraft squares.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heavy Metal posted:

It's interesting to hear some say this feels slow paced, but for me it doesn't at all. When it's over I want more, like it ended all too soon.

Every single time the end credits come up I go,"Already!?!" and then realize an hour has somehow magically passed. It's not enough

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PantsOptional posted:

There's a scene in Taxi Driver where Travis orders this at a diner.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I really want to try cheddar on pie now.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
gordoncole_whatthehell.gif

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I find all of this very appropriate as every good Twin Peaks thread by law must contain many digressions into discussions of pie and/or coffee.

Speaking of coffee, I'm waiting for a scene where Cooper is in a place without real coffee and is forced to buy, like, a Starbucks Doubleshot or a knockoff thereof. Maybe that'd be treading too close to Georgia Coffee territory.

It's probably notable that the two people drinking "lattes" as opposed to just "coffee" were gruesomely murdered shortly thereafter.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Frank being delighted by his green tea latte is such a wonderful little scene.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

eSporks posted:

I remember someone mentioned that Tami might be noticing that Danzigs prints are a mirror of coopers. I re-watched the scene, and noticed this:

Forgive me if it was mentioned already, but the text [9 L. Ring] is mirrored. Its not just the way it is on the form either because number 10 is normal. I'm not sure if Tami is literally noticing this same thing with the text, or its lynch signaling the viewer that the prints of the doppelganger mirror the original. Its very intentional though.

EDIT: Found another shot.

Its not just the text, the whole Left Ring Finger print on Danzig's sheet is mirrored, but only that one print. The others appear to match well enough.

The thought of just a single finger being reversed is way more disturbing to me than just having all the prints being reversed for some reason.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

kaworu posted:

It's probably notable that the two people drinking "lattes" as opposed to just "coffee" were gruesomely murdered shortly thereafter.

if frank dies because he discovered he loves green tea lattes, gently caress this show

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The thought of just a single finger being reversed is way more disturbing to me than just having all the prints being reversed for some reason.
well the idea of the whole entity being a mirror image is creepy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

There's a scene in Taxi Driver where Travis orders this at a diner.

Bear in mind that one of Travis' staple meals is bread soaked in booze with sugar on top.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never thought that Bob just possessed people like some kind of demon, that would be very unsatisfying anyway, Leland would just be straight up innocent then. I always thought that Bob was just the bad/traumatized side of his personality that Bob just tempted him into.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shibawanko posted:

I never thought that Bob just possessed people like some kind of demon, that would be very unsatisfying anyway, Leland would just be straight up innocent then. I always thought that Bob was just the bad/traumatized side of his personality that Bob just tempted him into.
I just watched the confession scene last night while rewatching the series, and Bob straight up tells us that Leland had no idea that Bob/Leland killed Laura, but Leland would find out as soon as he pulled the cord.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

I just watched the confession scene last night while rewatching the series, and Bob straight up tells us that Leland had no idea that Bob/Leland killed Laura, but Leland would find out as soon as he pulled the cord.

Yeah I took that to mean it's a repressed memory, not that he was totally out of control. There was still something in Leland that allowed Bob to come in, Leland was traumatized by Bob as a kid and has a compulsion to repeat what happened to him, this is common in real life, particularly if it's in a family situation. This is at least what I took it to mean at the end of the first two seasons. Bob/Cooper (can we just call him Booper?) does seem like simple demonic possession though, you can't really blame Cooper for all the things Booper did, there didn't seem to be anything in Cooper's actual personality that would suggest mass murder, the man was always a sweetheart.

Specifically, it reminds me of somebody I know who was mentally abused by her father when she was little, like shouted at and beaten and stuff. She'll be fine one moment and smiling, then suddenly erupt in irrational anger without provocation and starts hitting people if she's not calmed down. Supposedly her father was also mistreated as a kid although nobody really knows. Her "real" personality I think is the nice side she usually shows, although even then she has weird neuroses and passive aggressiveness, but the crazy violent side is also part of her even if it's hard to blame her for the way she turned out. When she's normal she just goes to work and functions fine in society and is generally respected, it's only when she's at home that she's like that. I thought Leland was supposed to be a depiction of something like that.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 8, 2017

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I took that to mean it's a repressed memory, not that he was totally out of control. There was still something in Leland that allowed Bob to come in, Leland was traumatized by Bob as a kid and has a compulsion to repeat what happened to him, this is common in real life, particularly if it's in a family situation. This is at least what I took it to mean at the end of the first two seasons. Bob/Cooper (can we just call him Booper?) does seem like simple demonic possession though, you can't really blame Cooper for all the things Booper did, there didn't seem to be anything in Cooper's actual personality that would suggest mass murder, the man was always a sweetheart.
Danzig is different, I imagine that Bob is simply riding shotgun, so not comparable at all to Leland who Bob described as a vessel. Shadow Cooper is fully complicit with Bob, and if the fingerprint scene goes anywhere, is a wholly different physical entity from Agent Cooper as well ( as in Shadow Cooper isn't driving Agent Cooper's body ).

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shibawanko posted:

Specifically, it reminds me of somebody I know who was mentally abused by her father when she was little, like shouted at and beaten and stuff. She'll be fine one moment and smiling, then suddenly erupt in irrational anger without provocation and starts hitting people if she's not calmed down. Supposedly her father was also mistreated as a kid although nobody really knows. Her "real" personality I think is the nice side she usually shows, although even then she has weird neuroses and passive aggressiveness, but the crazy violent side is also part of her even if it's hard to blame her for the way she turned out. When she's normal she just goes to work and functions fine in society and is generally respected, it's only when she's at home that she's like that. I thought Leland was supposed to be a depiction of something like that.
You're describing Bob as a manifestation of the psychic injury done to Leland come to life, but I don't think that's the case. BOB & MIKE and the Waiting Room and the Lodges existed before Leland invited BOB into him.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Was I the only one who felt like, in the flashback to DoppelCoop and BOB laughing backwards together in the Red Room from the season 2 finale, that they were about to kiss? Or maybe about to try and eat each other while kissing like the makeout scene in Dumb & Dumber?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

kaworu posted:

Was I the only one who felt like, in the flashback to DoppelCoop and BOB laughing backwards together in the Red Room from the season 2 finale, that they were about to kiss? Or maybe about to try and eat each other while kissing like the makeout scene in Dumb & Dumber?

an emphatic yes

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

They look like really good chums, I can tell you that much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I think your rabbit hole is starting to get a little deep, dude.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Fados posted:

But your comment makes me think that it's precisely trying to remind us that Bad Coop isn't 'just' BOB. There's a bunch of Dale Cooper in there, it's his legit evil core. Only it's channeled in service of disciplined evil. A true Doppleganger, a real synthesis, not just a simple «possession».
Dark Cooper is what Windom Earle should have been, IMO.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It would be super depressing if Richard Horne, the psycho in the Bang Bang Bar, was somehow Dark Cooper's bastard kid with Audrey. It would have been the perfect time to seduce her since she wanted to be with Coop already.

The name Richard is mentioned by the Giant (aka ???????) in the prologue this season along with Linda... two birds with one stone. Hmm, could Dark Cooper have had two kids maybe?

EDIT: Woahhh, someone on reddit found these song lyrics related to "Richard and Linda." There's a song called "Bird in God's Garden" by Richard and Linda Thompson. Check these lyrics:

quote:

I am a bird of God’s garden
and I do not belong to this dusty world
For a day or two they have put me here
in this cage of my own body
I did not come here of my own
I will not return of my own
to my own country...

If that doesn't apply to the doppelganger, I dunno what does.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

ZombyDog posted:

I think that scene was at first a cop out from the writers to the more uncomfortable narrative of the incest/murder being at all a conscious willful thing by Leland. Remember that having the killer being revealed was already part of ABC's execs pressure.

All that got retconned a bit in Fire Walk With Me which goes to great lengths to subvert the 'devil made me do it', excuse.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

It would be super depressing if Richard Horne, the psycho in the Bang Bang Bar, was somehow Dark Cooper's bastard kid with Audrey. It would have been the perfect time to seduce her since she wanted to be with Coop already.
Oh god, this does seem like a real possibility. It would be incredibly disturbing, which means it's probably likely

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So was the Leyland who killed Laura 'Leyland + Bob', Or 'Leyland's doppleganger + Bob'?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Annabel Pee posted:

So was the Leyland who killed Laura 'Leyland + Bob', Or 'Leyland's doppleganger + Bob'?

Leyland + Bob. It doesn't seem like people's doppelganger can leave the black lodge unless my special means.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe in order for there to be a doppelganger someone has to enter the lodge on their own.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to dopple but I only had enough money to be an anteater or a drunken baboon

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SlipkPIe posted:

Oh god, this does seem like a real possibility. It would be incredibly disturbing, which means it's probably likely

I doubt David Lynch would make evil hereditary.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

SlipkPIe posted:

I've seen this theory a lot over the last few days and its nice to know that Twin Peaks internet discussion is still thinly veiled Audrey Horne rape fantasies after all these years. Oh no hang on it makes me want to chew my wrists.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Modrasone posted:

I've seen this theory a lot over the last few days and its nice to know that Twin Peaks internet discussion is still thinly veiled Audrey Horne rape fantasies after all these years. Oh no hang on it makes me want to chew my wrists.

Who said anything about rape? Kyle said he didn't like a relationship with Audrey because it goes against Coop's morals, whereas that's all out the window with Evil Coop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tap my mountain posted:

Who said anything about rape? Kyle said he didn't like a relationship with Audrey because it goes against Coop's morals, whereas that's all out the window with Evil Coop

I can just imagine what a healthy and caring relationship they'd have :allears: