Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have a co-worker that just will not leave me alone, asks me questions all day, some questions are welcomed, being at my desk every 5 minutes is not because drat, have some independence you are severely impeding my work. During these 100 interruptions a day he will often just walk up and start talking while my back is turned, sometimes I'm on the phone which he won't notice until 10-20 seconds into whatever he's saying, and sometimes I won't even know he's there because he's talking at my left side and I'm half deaf in that ear.

Normally I welcome questions, because if I can answer a question that often means a ticket won't get escalated to me, or I will have to do less work when it does get to me. This is way beyond that and it's getting annoying, he needs to be more independent and apply what I tell him to a wider array of things and have confidence in himself that he's doing the right thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Setup a Remote Desktop Services Remote App server yesterday so some remote workers could use our ERP software (it really does not like a VPN connection on low bandwidth DSL). We have a domain name that we don't own the URL for so I can't set up SSL other than self signed. Software kept complaining about the Self signed saying it was unsafe, so I provided the self signed threw it in a shared folder.

Users got the directions for installing the self signed cert to their local trusted roots but could not get past the window asking if you trust the server on the RDP connect screen.

They were confused by the part I didn't expect why. How do you even install a cert but can't click connect instead of cancel! It's working great, 2016 is only 60MB per user session when 2008 was using 300MB for the same program for another group of users. The plan is to migrate everything over if this is stable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Setup a Remote Desktop Services Remote App server yesterday so some remote workers could use our ERP software (it really does not like a VPN connection on low bandwidth DSL). We have a domain name that we don't own the URL for so I can't set up SSL other than self signed. Software kept complaining about the Self signed saying it was unsafe, so I provided the self signed threw it in a shared folder.

Users got the directions for installing the self signed cert to their local trusted roots but could not get past the window asking if you trust the server on the RDP connect screen.

They were confused by the part I didn't expect why. How do you even install a cert but can't click connect instead of cancel! It's working great, 2016 is only 60MB per user session when 2008 was using 300MB for the same program for another group of users. The plan is to migrate everything over if this is stable.

Yeah 2012 r2 (perhaps earlier in 2012 as well) and newer the remote app stuff works REALLY well. We have a ton of users using it over VPN, internally and using terminal servers via thin-clients and it is grrrrrrrreat.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MF_James posted:

I have a co-worker that just will not leave me alone, asks me questions all day, some questions are welcomed, being at my desk every 5 minutes is not because drat, have some independence you are severely impeding my work. During these 100 interruptions a day he will often just walk up and start talking while my back is turned, sometimes I'm on the phone which he won't notice until 10-20 seconds into whatever he's saying, and sometimes I won't even know he's there because he's talking at my left side and I'm half deaf in that ear.

Normally I welcome questions, because if I can answer a question that often means a ticket won't get escalated to me, or I will have to do less work when it does get to me. This is way beyond that and it's getting annoying, he needs to be more independent and apply what I tell him to a wider array of things and have confidence in himself that he's doing the right thing

Have you considered, the next time he comes up to ask you something, saying "We need you to be more independent and apply what we've told you to a wider array of things and have confidence in yourself that you're doing the right thing"?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

Have you considered, the next time he comes up to ask you something, saying "We need you to be more independent and apply what we've told you to a wider array of things and have confidence in yourself that you're doing the right thing"?

poo poo, I never thought about using my talking hole instead of complaining on the internet with my fingers.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
"I don't know how to take a screenshot."

Well, then you're too dumb to use a computer and that's your root problem. gently caress off.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Yeah 2012 r2 (perhaps earlier in 2012 as well) and newer the remote app stuff works REALLY well. We have a ton of users using it over VPN, internally and using terminal servers via thin-clients and it is grrrrrrrreat.
Same here. I rolled out RemoteApp for a lot of our archaic Access databases and FoxPro apps that have super fussy dependencies and were wasting a lot of our desktop team's time keeping functional on client PC's. Now they just have to make it work on the RemoteApp server. Users love it too because the app servers are all on flash and almost new Xeons whereas the desktops are spinning disk and a variety of i5's.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"I don't know how to take a screenshot."

Well, then you're too dumb to use a computer and that's your root problem. gently caress off.

Open the start menu type snipping use that. Real easy to tell someone how to use that over the phone.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

Open the start menu type snipping use that. Real easy to tell someone how to use that over the phone.

Someone before my time at this job really drilled in the snipping tool usage and I am forever grateful for that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

pixaal posted:

:vince:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Now up your game and use the Problem Steps Recorder.

PSR.exe for lyfe bro

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pixaal posted:

First return question from the 90 year old grandma with the problem: "What's a start menu"

Followed by "I just don't understand these computers"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MF_James posted:

poo poo, I never thought about using my talking hole instead of complaining on the internet with my fingers.

No worries, happens to me too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

80 year old owner of the company was reading some PC tips and asked me if they we were following any of them.

One said to run CCleaner regularly, one said to run a defragmenting program, the other was something about automatically running programs

"I was always told that the less stuff I have on my computer the faster it runs"
"We should be doing all these things at our company"

:colbert:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When's the last time defrag was effective or at least a non-automated task, was it Vista?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There was some Samsung evo SSD model that started to suck as they aged, and the quick fix was to defeat it, forcing a full write refresh.

It has since been fixed via firmware, heh.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When's the last time defrag was effective or at least a non-automated task, was it Vista?
Even XP had NTFS, but that didn't stop people from using FAT32.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pissing me off: my bank's security practices. They've done dumb stuff in the past, but I just called them and they wanted me to enter the first five digits of my social security number. Most other places want the last four, including the credit card companies I just called (I'm traveling soon, that's why I'm contacting them). I am very uncomfortable with places across the Internet asking for, collectively, my entire social security number. It's long past the time we should have stopped using SSNs for anything, but Christ.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

guppy posted:

It's long past the time we should have stopped using SSNs for anything, but Christ.
What other verified unique identifier should be used then?
and how is tax collection going to work under your shiny ssn-free system?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

guppy posted:

Pissing me off: my bank's security practices. They've done dumb stuff in the past, but I just called them and they wanted me to enter the first five digits of my social security number. Most other places want the last four, including the credit card companies I just called (I'm traveling soon, that's why I'm contacting them). I am very uncomfortable with places across the Internet asking for, collectively, my entire social security number. It's long past the time we should have stopped using SSNs for anything, but Christ.

Mine does this too, I hate it. Ask if you can put a secret pin or passphrase on file.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pixaal posted:

They can't attach things to emails either. This is a lost cause we're talking about. We've all run across the type who refuses to do absolutely anything more complicated than "type in a word document," haven't we?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They can't attach things to emails either. This is a lost cause we're talking about. We've all run across the type who refuses to do absolutely anything more complicated than "type in a word document," haven't we?

Had a user this week updated from Word 2007 to 2016. Didn't know what to do because when you start Word now you are presented with the choice of a new blank document, new from an existing template or open existing document.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elizabethan Error posted:

How about a national ID?

:suicide:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Block chain federated id

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Someone just emailed me an RTF document which contained a picture taken on a phone's camera and nothing else.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
could be worse

they could have printed it out and scanned it to their e-mail then forwarded it

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What do you call the thing where every mundane task you look at reveals 2 or 3 broken processes or applications that no one has somehow noticed for years, so you look like the jackass who is always complaining and making more work?

Like literally "hey Partycat quick question can you look at this?" :piss:

Because I think I have that and I'm going to die soon.

* guzzles Jack Daniels *

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Partycat posted:

What do you call the thing where every mundane task you look at reveals 2 or 3 broken processes or applications that no one has somehow noticed for years, so you look like the jackass who is always complaining and making more work?

* guzzles Jack Daniels *

It's called "giving a poo poo."

The only way to save your sanity is to either work at a company where they want you to improve the poo poo like this you find, or to stop giving a poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Varkk posted:

Had a user this week updated from Word 2007 to 2016. Didn't know what to do because when you start Word now you are presented with the choice of a new blank document, new from an existing template or open existing document.
I love that "which of those three phrases applies to you" is both the solution to this problem, and a totally foreign concept to the person you're talking about.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love that "which of those three phrases applies to you" is both the solution to this problem, and a totally foreign concept to the person you're talking about.

Half these people behave like the computer is a bomb they're being told how to disarm over the phone, and the slightest change from the norm is a terrifying event worth of a complete brainlock and a call for help. The other half know that they get a half hour to an hour of facebook time every time something happens, so they've learned to be as helpless and all around useless as possible. Both these groups of people love working for municipal and state agencies.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Elizabethan Error posted:

Your DNA? :Gattica:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Guy was in working on our security system today. This is cameras, badge readers for all 4 of our buildings.

The system is available externally for monitoring/remote administration.

The password? 1234

I just walked out and went to lunch at 11, came back around 2. I just can't loving even.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Your DNA? :Gattica:

Chip implanted in your body when you're born. Unique ID, can automatically recognize you when you're using a computer or talking with an agent over the phone. The commercials could be tailored to me and me alone when I'm walking on the street. What's not to love? And, oh, no more passwords. Ever. At all. Every website would automatically know who I am (name, address, everything) just by visiting the site, since all computers/tablets/devices would be able to pick up the chip's signal and transmit it to whoever is asking. If it can't (if I'm using bootlegged hardware) I am probably a criminal and will report me to the police.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

could be worse

they could have printed it out and scanned it to their e-mail then forwarded it

In order to get it into RTF I'm like 90% sure they had to get it to a computer somehow first, which mean they already had it in a standard image format but put it in RTF for even god doesn't know why.

What really surprises me though is that they used RTF and not DOCX.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DigitalMocking posted:

Guy was in working on our security system today. This is cameras, badge readers for all 4 of our buildings.

The password? 1234

I just walked out and went to lunch at 11, came back around 2. I just can't loving even.

:stonklol:

Are they at least a vendor, or is this just gently caress ups all the way down?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Half these people behave like the computer is a bomb they're being told how to disarm over the phone, and the slightest change from the norm is a terrifying event worth of a complete brainlock and a call for help. The other half know that they get a half hour to an hour of facebook time every time something happens, so they've learned to be as helpless and all around useless as possible. Both these groups of people love working for municipal and state agencies.
It shouldn't bother me but it's really drat annoying overhearing/watching things like this unfold because I know I'll have to rescue them.

Yesterday on my desk bank someone needed to transfer a call to someone else on the desk and of course told them about it with the details etc, the first thing the person who was going to receive the call did before even being dialled was pick up the phone receiver and just starting pressing buttons at random, ended up dialling someone and putting them in park. Of course both of them started getting flustered ranting about a crappy phone system so I had to step in and sort it out.

Like holy poo poo just calm down and don't freak out when you need to do something and making it worse for yourself.

EDIT: Typos

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

The password? 1234

That's almost the same password I have on my luggage!

Pissing me off: T1 agents who seem completely and utterly unable to tell someone "No." or provide any alternative when confronted with resistance from the caller.

:words: This person wants ALL this <data>
:v: Okay, about 99% of that is available <here>, <there> and works for everything except <special case>. Is this person saying all of these are <special case>?
:words: No they want all of it. They are not in <special case> and when I tried to point them <here> or <there> they got angry with me.
:v: If it is not <special case> then this person doesn't have use for the data, as it provides no further relevant information. Is it possible they're confusing <dataitem1> and <dataitem2>?
:words: No, they want all the data!!! JUST GIVE ME THE DATA! *goes to manager*
:suicide:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you use a piece of software every day, and one of the main elements is a calendar that displays entries using the standard system font size, and you have noticed that this is hard for you to read, what do you do?:

1. Talk to your optometrist, get your glasses updated.
2. Call IT and bitch that the calendar is "too small"

If you've chosen 2, congratulations, you're ready for work in the dental field.

edit: Impending poo poo to piss me off

The taught cable coming out of the orange bit and wrapped around the trailer is the fiber serving this site. I'm sure TWC is going to be absolutely wonderful to deal with in getting this fixed since it's not actually broke yet.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 9, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Partycat posted:

* guzzles Jack Daniels *

This is my job on the daily! Every time I work on one thing, I step into 5 other piles of poo poo/landmines that co-workers have left for me.

Also, my team is now myself and one other guy, lazy co-worker. 2 days ago I finally learned his motto at work: If tickets aren't going to alert (tickets alert after X days of not being touched, in our case 5 days for lower priority) and tickets that are high priority (0 or 1) are less than 2 days stagnant, he will just stop working and do whatever the gently caress he wants.... He loving literally told me this and I was flabbergasted. I guess he wins because I pick up the slack and he doesn't give a gently caress.

Also, we have someone that's a customer liason or some title that's equally stupid. He assigned my group a ticket yesterday: "Customer saw 30 packets drop over 14 hours between 2 subnets, they believe this is causing outlook to hang/crash and other problems they are having, please investigate". Why are people like this allowed to try to tell me to do work. Like, if the customer wants free work (we don't really handle high level support, we just do T1, patching and we have a firewall in place) and you're too much of a pussy to say no, at least be real with me, don't act like you're buying into their bullshit.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

edit: Impending poo poo to piss me off

The taught cable coming out of the orange bit and wrapped around the trailer is the fiber serving this site. I'm sure TWC is going to be absolutely wonderful to deal with in getting this fixed since it's not actually broke yet.

Fuuuck. Run an OTDR through one end, you might get lucky and get some values you can wave in TWC's faces.