Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

Turtlicious posted:

man i legit want to be an lp'r but im always too scared to do it because the internet is mean.

I thought about doing youtubes once but then I realized i sound like Minnie Mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

byob does streams thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806589

GEExCEE

Pro Target posted:

the pokemon games are very poorly designed,a nd not good. the 'competitive' aspect is a complete joke and theyre grindier than any jrpg

Wow why don't say this to Kento's loving face and see happens instead of slinking to the offsite like a coward?

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Turtlicious posted:

man i legit want to be an lp'r but im always too scared to do it because the internet is mean.

just do it. my screenshot lp is getting a good response. it's fun when people are as into the game as you are

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I had this idea for an arino-style stream wherein I try to marathon a variety of retro games reasonable length of difficulty in under one hundred lives. I figure it basically means instead of having to spend 12 hours on a game I would either beat it slowly or fail quickly.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Turtlicious

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pro Target posted:

the pokemon games are very poorly designed,a nd not good. the 'competitive' aspect is a complete joke and theyre grindier than any jrpg

I went to a tournament at gamestop, and my gf and I had to let a kid win, because neither of us were willing to make a kid cry for 50$

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Turtlicious posted:

🤔🤔🤔

Scaly Haylie

Turtlicious posted:

doing let's plays is far easier when doing it with someone as opposed to just talking into a void. it can also be easier to focus on being funny or informative when you're not focusing on playing a whole drat video game, so recording your commentary in post can be really good, whether alone or not.

i hope this helps. enjoy video games.

Pizzatime

Lizard Wizard posted:

doing let's plays is far easier when doing it with someone as opposed to just talking into a void. it can also be easier to focus on being funny or informative when you're not focusing on playing a whole drat video game, so recording your commentary in post can be really good, whether alone or not.

i hope this helps. enjoy video games.

I find the exact opposite to be true: https://youtu.be/jnwAdtKNrY0

Starman Super DX

i've never really understood Let's Plays unless you wanted help getting through a particular part in a game. if I wanted two guys to riff on a game I like I would do that myself with a friend and nobody needs to watch us do it. I was just saying this in the eSports thread that unless they're well directed, particularly funny or informative, or have an element of excitement from pitting an average gamer against a legitimate challenge. I don't really see the point.

this might sound extra crazy, but I love video games so much that I find speed running and GGDQ kind of offensive. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not torn apart to make it be done faster.
it's like saying watch me speed read this book or watch this movie at 2x speed.

Tell me more!

vanisher

Starman Super DX posted:

i've never really understood Let's Plays unless you wanted help getting through a particular part in a game. if I wanted two guys to riff on a game I like I would do that myself with a friend and nobody needs to watch us do it. I was just saying this in the eSports thread that unless they're well directed, particularly funny or informative, or have an element of excitement from pitting an average gamer against a legitimate challenge. I don't really see the point.

this might sound extra crazy, but I love video games so much that I find speed running and GGDQ kind of offensive. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not torn apart to make it be done faster.

Ill watch a LP if its a semi interesting or rare game on a platform I dont own (like Chulip LP), or if its a funny game that I cant be bothered to purchase or dig up (like Full Throttle). Most OPs don't choose all the dialogue options or skip stuff which is frustrating.

I'd watch the new Sam & Max releases as a LP.

Starman Super DX

see, I'd rather just get ahold of the game some way somehow and play it
myself or if I'm not interested enough to play it I'm probably not interested enough to see it either. As it is I've made it a hobby of mine to collect retro poo poo so lesser games I play some other way, and games I love most I try to seek out the truest way to play them. I have a bigass SD TV next to my regular one with all of my classic consoles hooked up to it.

iunno maybe I'm just weird. :shrug:

Tell me more!

DirtyBear

Starman Super DX posted:

I think a better analogy is extra features and behind the scenes with a movie. Yes, its an entirely different beast from playing the game itself, but if you find yourself wanting a change of pace, why not see what weird stuff happened behind the scenes. Then there are also people not interested in any single game at all, but are really interested in bug hunting like wrong warps and arbitrary code execution.

Bugless speedrunning (or even just limiting major bugs) I look at as more like esports, all the players on the leaderboards spend tons of time learning strategies and techniques, and in the end it comes down to the player with the best reflexes or improvisation with backup strats.

Obviously its okay for you to not like speed running and lets play, but I think the negative attitude to that content existing is pretty close to the same as ive seen from nongamers reacting to the prevalence of esports. why not just play league of legends yourself rather than watch SKT T1? For most people its supplemental to playing, and the people that watch and don't play (probably including most LP and speedrun viewers) seem to be getting some entertainment out of it and are elevating the visibility of the particular game, as well as gaming entertainment in general.

(I also have no interest in LP, but I really like watching speedruns)

Starman Super DX

I don't understand either eSports or regular sports. watching people play a game "professionally" just kinda takes the fun out of it for me personally. I like watching James Rolfe because when he's not doing his gimmick it's a lot more of a documentary style where he uses interesting directing and music to make the video ultimately more engaging for me. The same could be said for Game Center CX. the style and the content of a standard LP, Twitch, Speedrun, eSport, etc just tend to not really interest me.

I'm just more of a hands on kind of person I guess. Not everyone has to be like me though obviously so it's w/e.

I mean I suggested my own because at least I'd be playing the game, and I like the idea of it being a little more involved with the people watching. if I failed the challenge, maybe viewers would vote to give me another fifty "quarters" (lives) or whatever.

everyone can like what they like though. I'm just describing my own experience.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

honestly I was the kind of person who, if I didn't find a server good enough for a particular game, I'd say "I can do this better!" and start my own. I think Garry's Mod was the only time that really worked out successfully

Tell me more!

DirtyBear

Starman Super DX posted:

I don't understand either eSports or regular sports.

I can totally see this, I never watched IRL sports and feel the same way there. with esports I started watching out of half curiosity, half "tutorial", and once you've started its easier to keep at least a passing interest in it.

btw since you mentioned documentary style videos, if you haven't seen the Noclip documentary series on youtube I have to recommend it, really cool looks into the games. I like the Doom one the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkH78CGsjhc but there is also a doc on rocket league and "rediscovering mystery" with frog fractions and the witness etc. i realized the otehr day that the channel only had 120k subscribers and thought its a drat shame, really great content

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

I can totally see this, I never watched IRL sports and feel the same way there. with esports I started watching out of half curiosity, half "tutorial", and once you've started its easier to keep at least a passing interest in it.

btw since you mentioned documentary style videos, if you haven't seen the Noclip documentary series on youtube I have to recommend it, really cool looks into the games. I like the Doom one the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkH78CGsjhc but there is also a doc on rocket league and "rediscovering mystery" with frog fractions and the witness etc. i realized the otehr day that the channel only had 120k subscribers and thought its a drat shame, really great content

that sounds pretty cool, actually! I'll have to check that out when at my PC. also, I'm hearing surprisingly good things about new Prey. like "almost as good as Dishonored" says a fellow goon.

Tell me more!

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Starman Super DX posted:

that sounds pretty cool, actually! I'll have to check that out when at my PC. also, I'm hearing surprisingly good things about new Prey. like "almost as good as Dishonored" says a fellow goon.

I hear Prey is basically a new System Shock, which makes me pretty hype, but I tried the demo on my playstation and the little jumpy enemies were hellaciously annoying.

Finished The Surge. It was pretty good all the way through. Definitely recommended if you like Soulsborne games. I'd even say that, once you get used to the mechanics and kit your guy out, it's a pretty "easy" one. Hell, they even let you bank your currency at the rest areas, so if you play conservatively, there's basically no penalty for dying.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Bobby Deluxe

mysterious frankie posted:

I hear Prey is basically a new System Shock, which makes me pretty hype, but I tried the demo on my playstation and the little jumpy enemies were hellaciously annoying.
basically easy is too easy and medium & hard are just annoying

mysterious frankie

Bobby Deluxe posted:

basically easy is too easy and medium & hard are just annoying

>: (
ok, well maybe not a full price purchase then.

----------------

DirtyBear

I haven't gotten to where a souls game is fun yet, but only tried demon souls or w/e and honestly didnt give it a fair shake. sometime soon i'll put a real effort into dark souls 2 scholar of the first sin, which looks cool

mysterious frankie

DirtyBear posted:

I haven't gotten to where a souls game is fun yet, but only tried demon souls or w/e and honestly didnt give it a fair shake. sometime soon i'll put a real effort into dark souls 2 scholar of the first sin, which looks cool

The second dark souls was the only one I could never really get into, but that has a lot to do with why I enjoy these games (never played demon souls). I love exploring & how the entire world feels purposed and balanced to reveal a series of intertwined stories about itself. Nothing feels like padding or like it exists to achieve one end; for me ds1,3 and bloodborne are holistic, fully integrated experiences. with ds2 it felt too much like they focused on making a challenging, mechanics based game and the story and world design were completely aesthetic. I'm not one of those ding dongs who says that makes it bad, but it definitely made is way less fun for me.

----------------

Scaly Haylie

today on e3:

DirtyBear

Lizard Wizard posted:

today on e3:

metroid prime 4 : good work nintendo
pokemon : good work
rocket league : i didn't see that coming, good work nintendo

Scaly Haylie

DirtyBear posted:

pokemon : good work

let's not go crazy here

Starman Super DX

The Souls series is excellent and one of the few newer franchises that seems to remain consistently good (although I haven't played 3 yet) I definitely feel DS2 not being as compelling as the first, but it definitely has it's place. I also had beaten Demon's Souls (semi-legitimately).

Dark Souls (the first one) has this awesome dark medieval fantasy style but with a distinctly Japanese vibe. One goon informed me that one of the main guys working on it designed it that way because he played western RPGs as a child and couldn't understand the language, and so he made up his own story. This is what gives DS it's, if you ask me, fascinating mystique. You want story? Talk to some NPCs, read equipment descriptions, and try to piece all that poo poo together. Just thinking about it makes me drool. :swoon:

DS2 has a decidedly different feel. It's sillier, honestly. Instead of looking like a realistic brown husk when turned Hollow, you look like a green zombie with glowing eyes. And in the first five minutes of the game a cartoonishly large ogre tries to smash the poo poo out of you and will literally bite your head off. I didn't like this choice AT ALL, but DS2 makes up for it in a few other ways. Lots of bosses and boss weapons that you can upgrade, and the endgame I think is actually a lot more interesting. DS1 had more subtlety at the end that I do appreciate, but I like the choice to go "bigger" in the second. The DS2 endgame also ties in with the DLC way more, as opposed to DS1 where the DLC were just extra areas you could explore (not a complaint, just a note). In the DS2 endgame, you can power through the boss the hard way, or go through the final three DLC areas, collect the crowns, and then go back to the true final boss and kick the poo poo out of them. It was also kinda this cool summary of the Souls games in general, this idea that kings and civilizations come and go and something that seems so important passes in the blink of an eye relative to the immensity of time.

Something else I thought was interesting- if you check out the unused dialogue for the Queen in DS2, you can see that the parts taken out deliberately remove important plot points because imo, it's much more interesting to have to put it all together yourself.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

Also this.

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

one of the core themes of ds2 is living up to ds1

Starman Super DX

I didn't say DS2 was BETTER. Just still worth a playthrough if you loved Dark Souls and want more that's not Bloodborne or Demon's Souls.

I haven't decided how I feel about Bloodborne.

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

Starman Super DX posted:

I didn't say DS2 was BETTER.

that's ok, i will

Starman Super DX

Lizard Wizard posted:

that's ok, i will

I very respectfully disagree. :colbert:

e: and if you continue this line of discussion I'll spend another ten bux to get rid of that obnoxious red text. :twisted:

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 14, 2017

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

if we can agree that the pursuer, specifically the one in scholar, owns, i am willing to declare peace

Starman Super DX

hmmm. His encounters were annoying...

but his sword served me well for 80% of the game and his design is pretty great. I concede!

Love the knight design in the Dark Souls games as a whole.

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

oh yeah no he was annoying, i just found the degree to which he came up again and again to be comedic as hell

Bobby Deluxe

Lizard Wizard posted:

one of the core themes for me was not being able to spec haveldad

mysterious frankie

Lizard Wizard posted:

so if what you say is true dark souls 2 is the bitter child who's ticked that it's forced to live in its older sibling's shadow...

d-drat... pulling on my h-strings if true.

----------------

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my dark souls 3 video is now at 500 thousand views and i never want to interact with teh dark souls community again

Pizzatime

got ds2 some months ago, then ds3 right when the goty came out and now I just got the lord vessel in ds1 today. gotta say, these games are quite alright.

Starman Super DX

Pizzatime posted:

got ds2 some months ago, then ds3 right when the goty came out and now I just got the lord vessel in ds1 today. gotta say, these games are quite alright.

Huh, that's funny. I played them the exact same way. Everyone was telling me to play Dark Souls when I was playing Demon's Souls and I finally started the former just as DS2 came out.

Tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

start vanquish for the first time in months
immediately walk into an elevator that ends the chapter

:chloe:

e: gently caress it's so great that the voice for the main dude isn't even good enough to be Steven Blum. Awesome.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 16, 2017

Tell me more!