Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hot balls man no homo posted:

Mine was actually a plan for an underground clubhouse that could only be accessed by going through quicksand like in SMB3 :mario:

We used to build fairly large dens out of the bales in nearby fields that culminated in the farmer threatening us, then finally bringing out the plod to tell us off. The late seventies was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Still facepalming on the revisioning number scheme after getting over the other 10 sextillion fuckups on this aborted fetus of a game.

Three point oh.

But still pre-alpha.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

Even if the initial reaction is "omg, we waited for this?!?" they will convince themselves it is the best game ever and totally worth 40 thousand dollars.

definitely going to be a lot of mental gymnastics going on to justify it.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Hav posted:

We used to build fairly large dens out of the bales in nearby fields that culminated in the farmer threatening us, then finally bringing out the plod to tell us off. The late seventies was great.

My clubhouse got as far as a hole in the ground where my dad dug out a tree stump. So it is a pretty apt comparison between the plans for Star Citizen vs what is being delivered.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Still facepalming on the revisioning number scheme after getting over the other 10 sextillion fuckups on this aborted fetus of a game.

Three point oh.

But still pre-alpha.

I'm channeling Derek by shamelessly self quoting but I was puzzling this out earlier in the thread

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually this is why I figured they use the numbering convention they do. Since these patches should be like 0.0026 or 0.026 or 0.2.6 or something.

http://www.wisebread.com/party-like-its-1999-the-psychology-of-pricing

quote:

Consumers tend to place more emphasis on left digits than right ones (also known as the left-digit effect). And they "ignore the least significant digits rather than do the proper rounding." I like to think that I round $19.99 up to $20.00 rather than mentally truncating the last two digits to $19.00, but research suggests that most people retain the first two numbers only, possibly because people have gotten used to .99 as a price ending.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-things-cost-1995/

quote:

Psychologists have been studying cognitive bartering for some time, and several basics are well established. For example, an opening “bid” of any sort is usually perceived as a mental anchor, a starting point for the psychological jockeying to follow.

University of Florida marketing professors Chris Janiszewski and Dan Uy suspected that something fundamental might be going on, that some characteristic of the opening bid itself might influence the way the brain thinks about value and shapes bidding behavior. In particular, they wanted to see if the degree of precision of the opening bid might be important to how the brain acts at an auction. Or, to put it in more familiar terms: Are we really fooled when storekeepers price something at $19.95 instead of a round 20 bucks?

Basically an incredibly effective retail scam tactic that takes advantage of peoples instinctual reactions, just applied to a game development scam. It's plainly obvious, It's like a used car dealership or credit card commercial, except nobody is making CIG put a giant asterisk down with a ten page disclaimer about their lies and misrepresentations.

In an actual game being developed, I'll pick Star Sector as an example, the version numbers are 0.XX.rcX. I got into the game at 0.39.x 0.40 was a leap in functionality but the real star was what was in the game itself. 0.5X.rcX, 0.6X.rcX. 0.7X.rcX. After years the guy has been adding things to his game, and the game speaks for itself with easily trackable progress, the version numbers are doing what they are supposed to do, keep track of his development.

CIG is just using version numbers as marketing, their product right now is barely even a prototype. It's like if Apple had a giant malfunctioning phone that couldn't make calls with a bunch of exposed circuitry and a giant AC cord instead of a battery and called it the IPhone 2.0. Putting a cover on it makes it the IPhone 3.0. Changing the screen time out effect is the IPhone 4.0.

Most companies aren't that blatantly scamming people, but most customers aren't as stupid as backers.

I'd argue that the PU isn't even a prototype since you typically need to be working toward actually making something. Promising literally impossible technology in a dead end engine is the same thing as selling those rebreathers that were scientifically impossible. Sure they had "prototypes" but the project was a lie from the start.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Everything from start to finish with cig has been a massive marketing campaign , there is no game citizens

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

RagnarokZ posted:

Didn't they all claim that the engine change wouldn't cause any real delays?

How delayed is the latest patch now? Six or seven months or so?

Yeah they said because all of their animations in the game are real and not faked for 1st person(?) that making the game VR would be very easy.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

This it a bit of accounting but that is much simpler to explain when you work backwards from cashflow and consider how people tend to treat companies as their own personal money.

In 2015 they had expenses that had to be paid of ~£15m so they had to transfer £15m to the UK because they had to cover these expenses. That is probably the entirety of their accounting records. So at the end of the year, they just said that £15m was their turnover and they arrived at their turnover by basing it on their costs and then gave it no further thought. Because the tax credit was still just accrued income, they didn't really think about the future when they would actually be receiving the money.

So in 2016 when they started to actually receive the tax credits they no longer needed to cover the full expenditure in the UK from the US. One of the core concepts in accountancy is consistency, which means they couldn't just change their policy without changing the previous year comparatives. So last year their policy and turnover was basically 100% of costs. Their new policy is 80% of costs with the tax credits covering the other 20%. So they retrospectively pretend that some of the money in the previous year was just an interest free loan or prepayment.

Are you sure about this I thought the earliest was mostly during the three month shoot in Mid 2015 from this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman
oh whoops my bad, this game has been in development so long I'm getting my years mixed up

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

No loving way that's real.

Where's your sense of adventure, wonder, and joy you old curmudgeon? :colbert:

TheAgent posted:

wait wait *looks down at the ps4 controller in my hand*

OH GOD NO ITS A CONSOLE GAME WHAT HAVE I DONNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now play Uncharted 4. Once you discover the nose-squishing, anything CIG has ever said on the topic of fidelity starts to sound like a dung beetle opining on plasma physics.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

The Crobbler posted:

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop's ship. That's one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you're training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they've lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What's happening? It's sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop's still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
jesus christ

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Crobbler posted:

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop's still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

This revelation is before my time around the dumpster fire. :barf: No wonder nobody gives a crap about S42.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

My clubhouse got as far as a hole in the ground where my dad dug out a tree stump. So it is a pretty apt comparison between the plans for Star Citizen vs what is being delivered.

Yeah, but you actually had a _hole_. Toff.

Sappo569 posted:

Everything from start to finish with cig has been a massive marketing campaign , there is no game citizens

Word.

Tippis posted:

Now play Uncharted 4. Once you discover the nose-squishing, anything CIG has ever said on the topic of fidelity starts to sound like a dung beetle opining on plasma physics.

Just wish the story was as solid as Uncharted 3.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Where's your sense of adventure, wonder, and joy you old curmudgeon? :colbert:

already done too

you mightve figured out that I play a lot of games

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Could Croberts not remember any more references to use.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That can't be real it doesn't mention pusher and how she helps save the universe through her plucky determination and stunning good looks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

Just wish the story was as solid as Uncharted 3.

House levels make up for everything. Especially the epilogue.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've not been following the thread while the Election has been providing far more entertainment. Did 3.0 come out yet?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Game bad lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I don't think Roberts has an account on this fine ebiz board to respond.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hey does anybody have some Captain B'tak (or whatever his name was, the crazy paranoid guy on the RSI forums a while back) quotes saved? I want to share them with friends.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Space Crabs posted:

I'm channeling Derek by shamelessly self quoting but I was puzzling this out earlier in the thread

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-things-cost-1995/

Basically an incredibly effective retail scam tactic that takes advantage of peoples instinctual reactions, just applied to a game development scam. It's plainly obvious, It's like a used car dealership or credit card commercial, except nobody is making CIG put a giant asterisk down with a ten page disclaimer about their lies and misrepresentations.

In an actual game being developed, I'll pick Star Sector as an example, the version numbers are 0.XX.rcX. I got into the game at 0.39.x 0.40 was a leap in functionality but the real star was what was in the game itself. 0.5X.rcX, 0.6X.rcX. 0.7X.rcX. After years the guy has been adding things to his game, and the game speaks for itself with easily trackable progress, the version numbers are doing what they are supposed to do, keep track of his development.

CIG is just using version numbers as marketing, their product right now is barely even a prototype. It's like if Apple had a giant malfunctioning phone that couldn't make calls with a bunch of exposed circuitry and a giant AC cord instead of a battery and called it the IPhone 2.0. Putting a cover on it makes it the IPhone 3.0. Changing the screen time out effect is the IPhone 4.0.

Most companies aren't that blatantly scamming people, but most customers aren't as stupid as backers.

I'd argue that the PU isn't even a prototype since you typically need to be working toward actually making something. Promising literally impossible technology in a dead end engine is the same thing as selling those rebreathers that were scientifically impossible. Sure they had "prototypes" but the project was a lie from the start.

It is also tied to ED, CIG started using 1.0 right after ED released, then when ED released its first expansion (going to 2.0), CIG also followed right after.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I was looking through old GDC videos and came across this:

Look at it. Just look at it.
Are there even numbers small enough to portray the how much of Fallout's janky excellent SC will struggle to achieve? :cripes:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Tippis posted:

I was looking through old GDC videos and came across this:

Look at it. Just look at it.
Are there even numbers small enough to portray the how much of Fallout's janky excellent SC will struggle to achieve? :cripes:

Fallout was just building upon already finished games unlike the innovative Star Citizen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

It is also tied to ED, CIG started using 1.0 right after ED released, then when ED released its first expansion (going to 2.0), CIG also followed right after.

is it Alpha, Beta.....

I know it's meaningless, but the iteration of actual version traditionally revolves around '1' being a release candidate, not the point where they realize they have nothing for a couple of years.

Tippis posted:

Isn't that the original Fallout, in which case 'lol interplay'.

Nov 3, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmVEYZnDZf8

Nov 3, 2015

Hav posted:

is it Alpha, Beta.....

I know it's meaningless, but the iteration of actual version traditionally revolves around '1' being a release candidate, not the point where they realize they have nothing for a couple of years.

No I mean that CIG started doing the 1.0 and 2.0 in order to not fall behind FD and ED releases. By saying 1.0 and then 2.0 CIG are trying to make it seem like they have released the game, instead of just being in a pre-alpha state.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

aleksendr posted:

Not completely. Its the egg in the cake mix.

Earlier cake mix recipes in the 60's had everything needed in powder form, just add water, mix, bake and voila, delicious cake. Guess what ? They did not sell, like, at all, untill some psychomarketer genius told the industry to let the buyer add a single egg to the mix. Just adding water made the cake some kind of "not good for you, machine made slurry" in the buyer mind. But by having to crack an egg it turn into a quick cooking a home desert.

Picking your mission from a drop down menu availabe anywhere make you feel like a cog in a machine. Having to walk a little, see the sight, spot the npc and press <use> turn it into an adventure. You just have to find the right spot between making the player walk all over the map for no good reasons and giving all the quests from a single billboard right beside the savepoint.

I found your cake stuff interesting, but it is mostly lies based on a grain of truth.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/cakemix.asp

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

Yes, and that just makes it all the more hilarious how CIG manages to suck so much at making anything.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

YellerBill posted:

Hey does anybody have some Captain B'tak (or whatever his name was, the crazy paranoid guy on the RSI forums a while back) quotes saved? I want to share them with friends.

The Cabinet of Curious Citizens: Captain B'tak

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

teh_Broseph posted:

The Crobbler posted:

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop's ship. That's one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you're training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they've lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What's happening? It's sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

Quite possibly, one of the most stupid/lame/cheesy/overdone plot/storylines to exist.

1. Why are you trying to find out where parpgary went? Is he somehow important to winning a war?
2. No one cares if parpgary lost his mind, it's war, ptsd happens.
3. Enemy are trying to shortcut to Earth? So what? Close the short cut or blockade it. How is one guy going to stop that? (heard the shortcut storyline before in about 100 other films)
4. Big last stand, great, no one saw that coming, so pointless trying to stop the enemy doing a shortcut if it's going to come down to a 'last stand' anyway then isn't it?
5. No one cares parpgary got left behind, it's not affected the plot/story at all anyway has it?
6. You're a war hero, you failed to prevent a last stand even though you plugged a short cut for an armarda of enemies all by yourself apparently, you suck, the story makes no sense, but you're a hero?
7. Parpgary is still out there fighting, even though you stopped the enemy? And retired? You fucker, you left the fleet commander out there all by himself even though the whole point of the game was to go get him, oh, I forgot no one cares, go collect your Aurora wankmobile and sit idle until SC somehow becomes a game somehow.

Roll Credits:

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

A film by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Screenplay by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Designed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Produced by
CHRIS ROBERTS' PERSONAL FUNDS HE MADE WHEN HE WAS SELLING CARS BECAUSE HE'S INDEPENDANTLY WEALTHY FROM ALL HIS SUCCESS

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Staring
CHRIS ROBERTS
SANDI DEMMING
Gary oldman

Extras
Golem
Scully
Some others

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Produced by (that means financed)
CHRIS ROBERTS

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Sound
CHRIS ROBERTS

Directed by
CHRIS ROBERTS

A Film by
CHRIS ROBERTS

Copywrite 2012 Clown Improbable Games, a CHRIS ROBERTS Shell company.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can't wait to see more mocap of Chris trying to gently caress -start a vandulllllll ship

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Just imagine if you were able to get all of the kids in your school to donate their allowance to your totally kickass future hideout

And I mean what if you buy yourself a new nintendo or a trip to disney world, you deserve it for being visionary enough to imagine such an awesome clubhouse.

Five years in and you have spent the entire time refilling and re-digging the same hole, but allowances are still coming in. Everything is fine. You'll worry about it after the next Monaco Grand Prix new videogame console comes out.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just a reminder that developer Ben lesnick ran a crowd funding campaign for 10k for a literal pile of garbage

I'd say he actually spent the money on better things than crobberts has

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Just a reminder that developer Ben lesnick ran a crowd funding campaign for 10k for a literal pile of garbage

I'd say he actually spent the money on better things than crobberts has

He should have spent the funds on another seat.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Space Crabs posted:

Just imagine if you were able to get all of the kids in your school to donate their allowance to your totally kickass future hideout

And I mean what if you buy yourself a new nintendo or a trip to disney world, you deserve it for being visionary enough to imagine such an awesome clubhouse.

Five years in and you have spent the entire time refilling and re-digging the same hole, but allowances are still coming in. Everything is fine. You'll worry about it after the next Monaco Grand Prix new videogame console comes out.

"Will there be rocket escape pods from the clubhouse?"

Yes, I don't see why not. I got these sweet books about the rocket systems of the Apollo 11 from the book fair so it shouldn't be a problem to reverse engineer the systems...

*1 month later

Things are falling behind because I broke both my wrists jumping my bmx off a ramp made out of a wood plank and a cinderblock. I can still play the super nintendo I bought with the funds. The Super Nintendo will go into the clubhouse when it is complete but for now it is staying with me.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
See of you nerds were real geniuses, you wouldn't even be doing any of the work. You'd be selling other kids dream clubhouses because you're the best salesperson ever since you were kids.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A lot of kids at school are starting to get really mean about the club house. They keep saying that it's not coming out just because it's taken so long. These kids are real jerks about it, so they must be wrong. They're just jealous because they aren't their own club houses won't be nearly as good. One guy has a finished club house but it doesn't even have rocket pods, and it smells like creosote.

I'm writing down everything they say so when this is over and the clubhouse is done, we can show all the mean things they said to the Vice Principal and boy are they gonna get it then.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

big nipples big life posted:

I'd be surprised if SQ42 sold 100k copies if it ever comes out. Obviously not counting preorders donations.

that's one of the staple points that is so god damned hilarious to me about all of this

"donation" for the 150 million dollar company, haha god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you aren't even going to have 100k people with high enough specs to play the game