Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

:boom:

Needs way more love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TBeats posted:

jesus how bad can it be

It's just a paper that has the simple sentence

"No health care for anyone except sitting congressmen and presidents"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

My best guess is that it's about the healthcare bill that's being kept secret, mostly because they know it's a pile of poo poo. So, they want to keep it completely away from the news and not let anything leak out about the discussio-

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ap-sources-trump-tells-senators-house-health-bill-48015512

Sounds like his dementia is acting up again and he's parroting the last thing he heard...again. Someone check what Fox had on the air right before he made that comment.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Burt posted:

Needs way more love!

It got more love the first time it was posted

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Jesus if even Trump thinks it's bad...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Burt posted:

Needs way more love!

I didn't get it.

I googled the guy's name.

I got it.

:stare:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't get it.

I got it.

:same:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god drat

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't get it.

I got it.

I hate how long it took me to get it... just, like, tick tick tick tick come on duke you can figure this out tick tick tick tick then BOOM I finally got the drat joke... :doh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't get it.

I got it.

Realization exploded in my mind

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Rick Wilson had a moment. And posted it on twitter.

https://twitter.com/therickwilson/status/874435986306027520

You should read all 21 tweets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't get it.

I got it.

It took me a google too. Then drat

is it actually an IRA joke or was I laughing at the wrong sort of dark humor

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

is it actually an IRA joke or was I laughing at the wrong sort of dark humor

IRA joke, he's the leader of Sinn Féin and the party had/has strong ties to the IRA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Genocide Tendency posted:

:piss:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Between this and some clips of sessions eating his own foot today I'm all fired up for the mattering

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

mods please namechage to Trump Juche

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

IRA joke, he's the leader of Sinn Féin and the party had/has strong ties to the IRA

Strong ties? Try was a member of. His buddies at the IRA admitted in closed-session recordings that were released three years ago that he ordered the murder of at least one hostage.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

psydude posted:

Strong ties? Try was a member of. His buddies at the IRA admitted in closed-session recordings that were released three years ago that he ordered the murder of at least one hostage.

was being a bit diplomatic but yeah, sinn finn is basically the public facing front of the IRA

which reminds me, I need to find all the old IRA pamphlets my dad has somewhere, that might be a cool post. a former irish-catholic priest in like the 70s-80s... yeah he had ~~opinions~~ on what was going on in the homeland

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

:allbuttons:

:perfect:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is both surprising and not.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874806846103707650

Donnie really WAS entertaining the thought of firing Mueller.

quote:

WASHINGTON — Last month’s appointment of Robert S. Mueller III as a special counsel to investigate possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia enraged President Trump. Yet, at least initially, he holstered his Twitter finger and publicly said nothing.

But behind the scenes, the president soon began entertaining the idea of firing Mr. Mueller even as his staff tried to discourage him from something they believed would turn a bad situation into a catastrophe, according to several people with direct knowledge of Mr. Trump’s interactions.

For now, the staff has prevailed. “While the president has every right to” fire Mr. Mueller, “he has no intention to do so,” the White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters late Tuesday after a day of speculation over Mr. Mueller’s fate.

Mr. Trump, angered by reports in Breitbart News and other conservative news media that Mr. Mueller was close to James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director he had fired, repeatedly brought up the political and legal implications of firing someone he viewed as incapable of an impartial investigation.

In recent days, the president has told his staff, his visitors, and his outside advisers that he was increasingly convinced Mr. Mueller, like Mr. Comey, his successor as director of the F.B.I., was part of a “witch hunt” by partisans who wanted to see him weakened or forced from office. But Mr. Trump has made no decision to act against Mr. Mueller and insists he knows the risks of doing so — but people close to the president say Mr. Trump is so volatile they cannot be sure that he won’t change his mind if he finds out anything to lead him to believe the investigation has been compromised.

Whether Mr. Trump can tolerate a free-ranging investigation, directed by Mr. Mueller, that could raise questions about the legitimacy of his Electoral College victory, the topic that most sparks his rage, will be a critical test for a president who has continued on Twitter and elsewhere to flout the advice of his staff, friends and legal team.

For Mr. Trump, the line between whim and will is always thin. It is often erased in moments of anger, when simmering grievance boils over into rash action, exemplified by the firing of Mr. Comey after a weekend of brooding at his resort in Bedminster, N.J.

When asked by the pool of reporters covering a midday meeting with Republican lawmakers at the White House whether he supported Mr. Mueller, Mr. Trump gave no answer, even though he often uses such interactions to make headlines or shoot down stories he believes to be fake.

That may have been by design, according to a person who spoke to Mr. Trump on Tuesday. The president was pleased by the ambiguity of his position on Mr. Mueller, and thinks the possibility of being fired will focus the veteran prosecutor on delivering what the president desires most: a blanket public exoneration.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions also declined to offer his support for Mr. Mueller during testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

But at a separate hearing, Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who appointed Mr. Mueller and continues to oversee the investigation, promised lawmakers he would not permit Mr. Mueller to be dismissed without legitimate reason.

“As long as I’m in this position, he’s not going to be fired without good cause,” Mr. Rosenstein said. “I’m not going to follow any orders unless I believe those are lawful and appropriate orders,” he said, emphasizing that the attorney general “actually does not know what we’re investigating.”

He added, “Director Mueller is going to have the full independence he needs to conduct that investigation appropriately.”

While the president is deeply suspicious of Mr. Mueller, his anger is reserved for Mr. Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia probe, and for Mr. Comey. Mr. Trump was especially outraged by Mr. Comey’s admission last week that he had leaked a memo with details of his interactions with the president in hopes of spurring the appointment of a special counsel.

Several senior Trump aides, believe that Mr. Comey went public with his doubts about the president’s behavior and trustworthiness with the intention of steering Mr. Rosenstein toward appointing his friend Mr. Mueller, according to one longtime Trump associate who remains close to the White House.

The two men worked closely together in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks when Mr. Mueller was F.B.I. director and Mr. Comey was a high-ranking Justice Department official in the George W. Bush administration. Mr. Comey endorsed Mr. Mueller’s appointment when he appeared last week before the Senate Intelligence Committee, further angering Mr. Trump and his staff.

While the president’s aides have sought to sow skepticism about Mr. Mueller, whom they interviewed about the possibility of returning to the F.B.I. job the day before he accepted his position as special counsel, few have advocated his termination, reflecting the recognition that Mr. Trump’s angry reactions to the congressional and F.B.I. investigations now underway are imperiling his presidency.

The pushback also represented growing willingness among staffers to try to keep Mr. Trump from making damaging mistakes — an important internal change in a White House dominated by a president who often demands obeisance.

For all the talk of how no one in the West Wing tells the president “no,” many people do — though often unsuccessfully.

Among the aides most alarmed by the idea of firing Mr. Mueller, according to people familiar with the situation, was Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, whom Democrats mocked earlier this week for publicly saying he feels “blessed” to serve Mr. Trump. Donald F. McGahn II, the White House counsel, has also advised against firing Mr. Mueller.

Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and adviser, supported firing Mr. Comey, but he has been less pugnacious lately, administration officials said. Mr. Trump’s wife, Melania, has adopted a more temperate tone, telling her husband that she believed the appointment of Mr. Mueller would speed resolution of the Russia scandal and expressing her view that he would be exonerated, according to two people with direct knowledge of her advice.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

was being a bit diplomatic but yeah, sinn finn is basically the public facing front of the IRA

which reminds me, I need to find all the old IRA pamphlets my dad has somewhere, that might be a cool post. a former irish-catholic priest in like the 70s-80s... yeah he had ~~opinions~~ on what was going on in the homeland

My brother is trying to drag me all the way up to a house owned by our distant relatives outside Derry when we're in Dublin next week, and I just discovered that there's still Peace Walls all over the place there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I need to find all the old IRA pamphlets my dad has somewhere, that might be a cool post. a former irish-catholic priest in like the 70s-80s... yeah he had ~~opinions~~ on what was going on in the homeland

yes, please

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

next time I go by my parents I'll talk to my dad and see if he'll let be borrow it and scan it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

This is both surprising and not.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874806846103707650

Donnie really WAS entertaining the thought of firing Mueller. I'll post more poo poo from the article in a few minutes.

I thought this deserves to be read too:

quote:

But at a separate hearing, Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who appointed Mr. Mueller and continues to oversee the investigation, promised lawmakers he would not permit Mr. Mueller to be dismissed without legitimate reason.

“As long as I’m in this position, he’s not going to be fired without good cause,” Mr. Rosenstein said. “I’m not going to follow any orders unless I believe those are lawful and appropriate orders,” he said, emphasizing that the attorney general “actually does not know what we’re investigating.”

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No please, go ahead and fire Mueller. It'll definitely end well for you. While you're at it, would you please also stick your dick in the hornet nest over there.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Two Finger posted:

I thought this deserves to be read too:

I posted basically the whole drat article because it's one hell of a read and I paid for it, so why not.

I really can't figure out Rosenstein. I'm not sure if he's a moral guy, of if he's just a DOJ bureaucrat fighting for his professional life, or if he's up to his eyeballs in complicity, or what. I really don't know if he'd resign or play along if Donnie has a temper tantrum when the subpoenas start flying.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I was in northern Ireland for one loving day in 1993 and holy gently caress it was intense. Got stopped 3x by the RUC (police) who were armed to the loving tits and 2x by the army.

Also the huge crowd of IRA sympathizers heading to a funeral with black umbrellas to shield the actual IRA members from the helicopters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

No please, go ahead and fire Mueller. It'll definitely end well for you. While you're at it, would you please also stick your dick in the hornet nest over there.

We're already on the track for Gulf War III: Saudi Boogaloo, do we really want him sticking his dick elsewhere as well?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

I posted basically the whole drat article because it's one hell of a read and I paid for it, so why not.

I really can't figure out Rosenstein. I'm not sure if he's a moral guy, of if he's just a DOJ bureaucrat fighting for his professional life, or if he's up to his eyeballs in complicity, or what. I really don't know if he'd resign or play along if Donnie has a temper tantrum when the subpoenas start flying.

If it fucks over Donnie I'll take it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

A company that owns buildings with Donald Trump and the family of Jared Kushner is a finalist for a $1.7 billion contract to build the FBI’s new headquarters.

Vornado is a partial owner with the Trump Organization in two buildings, one each in New York and San Francisco. It is also a major investor in 666 Fifth Ave., the flagship skyscraper of the Kushner Cos.

Optics!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that one is a fart in the wind. Vornado is all over the place in NoVA and DC

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's a West London high-rise apartment building currently on fire, with reports of people jumping out of said building.

Video below (no jumpers)

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/874826075574087680

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/874825053015330820

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

There's a West London high-rise apartment building currently on fire, with reports of people jumping out of said building.

Video below (no jumpers)

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/874826075574087680

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/874825053015330820

its ok, steel frame buildings can't collapse from fires

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How the gently caress does fire spread that fast through a building like that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say emergency stairwells were propped open creating a nice chimney for superheated gasses to float up, flashing off everything they come into contact with.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Godholio posted:

Steel beams.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

Basically, this tower and its management company have been known for lax safety standards and lovely wiring for years now.

quote:

We have blogged many times on the subject of fire safety at Grenfell Tower and we believe that these investigations will become part of damning evidence of the poor safety record of the KCTMO should a fire affect any other of their properties and cause the loss of life that we are predicting:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/fire-safety-scandal-at-lancaster-west/

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/more-on-fire-safety/

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/another-fire-safety-scandal/

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/

In October 2015 a fire ripped through another KCTMO property, the 14 storey Adair Tower in North Kensington, causing mass panic and resulting in a number of residents taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. It is reported that had it not been for the swift actions of the London Fire Brigade the consequences of this fire and potential loss of life could have been much worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11967592/50-rescued-from-burning-flats-in-Kensington.html

In the aftermath of the Adair Tower fire the London Fire Brigade found that the KCTMO had not been looking after the safety of residents properly and issued an Enforcement Order compelling them to improve the fire safety in the escape staircases and to provide self closing devices to all the tower block’s front doors. A further audit by the London Fire Brigade of the neighbouring Hazelwood Tower (located alongside Adair Tower) found similar breaches of health and safety legislation and an Enforcement Order was also issued for this property forcing the TMO to address the serious concerns of the Fire Brigade’s inspectors. What is shocking is that a decade ago a fatality occurred due to a fire at Hazelwood Tower and the Fire Investigation Team ordered that the grills on the fire escape staircase be covered over. This never happened and it is believed that the uncovered grills at Adair House (Hazelwood Tower’s twin block) acted like a chimney and were responsible for the accelerated spread of the fire and smoke damage.

This particular link is from November 2016, there's other links going back to 2013.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like a good liveblog is this Guardian webpage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Note: It looks like it's just about daytime in London. My brain was telling me that the daylight pictures were *before* the building went up, when it's actually the opposite.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

redneck nazgul posted:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

Basically, this tower and its management company have been known for lax safety standards and lovely wiring for years now.

This particular link is from November 2016, there's other links going back to 2013.

If May wants to regain some popularity she might consider reinstating gibbets outside the Tower of London for this sort of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

High rise fires are usually quickly put out due to proper construction and sprinklers.

This is a shockingly bad fire.

Edit: like catastrophically, people going to jail bad

• Locked thread