Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadChlaKFVE

some excellent Dadenfreude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gorson posted:

This is a flawlessly hit ball if you are looking to confuse an infield. That's the shortstop's ball for a couple reasons, he's physically closest to the play and as the shortstop has priority over all other infielders.

How is that scored? Is it a regular base hit or an error of some type?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

hanales posted:

How is that scored? Is it a regular base hit or an error of some type?

It's just a hit as far as I am aware.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tarantula posted:

Stolen from AI, peoples wrecked cars being pulled out of water because some people shouldn't own a boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTOm4MDSu4
And possible future freude, a goon wanting to buy a bigger motorbike he probably can't handle yet for "safety".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3560983&perpage=40&pagenumber=216#pti14

im not going to lie, i didnt read the thread and ive also crashed a motorcycle but a 650 isnt too much bike, not even as a starter bike, unless you are physically too small to sit on it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Remember, this is just a small sample of reality. These are the people who A) survived, and B) decided to share the video with the world.

"relax! I don't know how to do this :P"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

It's just a hit as far as I am aware.

Yeah, it's a hit most likely.

Visually, the fault for it seems to fall on the third baseman who charges in hard then backs off at the last possible moment, and by the time he backs off, the shortstop has already pulled up and is moving slightly away to avoid a collision. I'm guessing that the third baseman backed off suddenly because of a call by one of the other infielders, though it doesn't look like any of them really made a play on it.

I'd love to know who was saying what in that clip.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Azathoth posted:

Visually, the fault for it seems to fall on the third baseman who charges in hard then backs off at the last possible moment, and by the time he backs off, the shortstop has already pulled up and is moving slightly away to avoid a collision. I'm guessing that the third baseman backed off suddenly because of a call by one of the other infielders, though it doesn't look like any of them really made a play on it.

That's why baseball is so special. They play 2,430 games in a regular season, so you get weird and funny things happening regularly.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Azathoth posted:

I checked the box score and it was a hit, the next batter got out, so it didn't end up changing anything. This is why going just by errors is a bad measure of defense.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao this is the good stuff

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bird in a Blender posted:

I checked the box score and it was a hit, the next batter got out, so it didn't end up changing anything. This is why going just by errors is a bad measure of defense.

It's a hit if it doesn't touch a fielder before the ground.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ilmucche posted:

It's a hit if it doesn't touch a fielder before the ground.

That's what is applied a lot, but the official rulebook says it's an error if an average fielder should have been able to make the out, which this clearly was. Probably gets recorded as a hit because the scorekeeper doesn't really know who to apply the error to. Errors are always a judgement call of the scorekeeper and being a slow fielder usually means you're less likely to get an error because they never even come close to the ball, where a fast fielder may make a play on the ball, but miss, which then gets recorded as an error. It's a bad stat is what I'm saying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It also didn't result in a run, which probably weighted things towards it being registered as a hit.

If it did result in a run then they'd have to decide whether it was unearned or not because that can/would count against the pitcher.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Helios Grime posted:

Jesus that is the most far-fetched reasoning in a while that I heard.

"hey, I'm in a dangerous situation in this traffic, let's put the throttle to the max!"

I think this person has just seen waaay to many action movies.

It sounds retarded, but it's a very common belief among motorcyclists (even my instructor said it). The idea is that a more powerful bike has more control options at high speed (ie, accelerate, in addition to brake and steer). Sometimes the safest thing to do is accelerate, and a low power bike does not have that option because its maximum speed is 65.

It's like in videogames, where more mobility is more safety.

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jun 13, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kurieg posted:

It also didn't result in a run, which probably weighted things towards it being registered as a hit.

If it did result in a run then they'd have to decide whether it was unearned or not because that can/would count against the pitcher.

An error is determined at the time of the hit. Score keepers don't go back and change things if it results in a run or not.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/U9HvDcF.gifv

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

An error is determined at the time of the hit. Score keepers don't go back and change things if it results in a run or not.

No, but i'm pretty sure i've seen games where something that was ruled a hit was changed to an error (or the other way around) later. Case in point: https://www.si.com/mlb/strike-zone/2014/05/14/yu-darvish-near-no-hitter-error-changed-to-hit-mlb

We Got Us A Bread has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Jun 14, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Azathoth posted:

Visually, the fault for it seems to fall on the third baseman who charges in hard then backs off at the last possible moment

It's everyone's fault. That's totally and completely the shortstop's play. But you can't charge an error against the entire infield, dammit.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

That's what is applied a lot, but the official rulebook says it's an error if an average fielder should have been able to make the out, which this clearly was. Probably gets recorded as a hit because the scorekeeper doesn't really know who to apply the error to. Errors are always a judgement call of the scorekeeper and being a slow fielder usually means you're less likely to get an error because they never even come close to the ball, where a fast fielder may make a play on the ball, but miss, which then gets recorded as an error. It's a bad stat is what I'm saying.

You gotta be a little selfish to be the short stop, so I'm going to blame him for not telling all the others to gently caress off

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It sounds retarded, but it's a very common belief among motorcyclists (even my instructor said it). The idea is that a more powerful bike has more control options at high speed (ie, accelerate, in addition to brake and steer). Sometimes the safest thing to do is accelerate, and a low power bike does not have that option because its maximum speed is 65.

It's like in videogames, where more mobility is more safety.

yeah, my instructor said the same. The idea is, if you can twist the throttle to escape danger and not have to worry about the seconds you're going to lose having to shift down a gear, it might save your life. On the other hand, if might also cause you to slam into a guard rail or an obstacle you didn't see. to be fair, i've used this tactic when people try and merge into me on the freeway, just BLEP the throttle and get out of the way of the 2 ton metal machine bearing down on you.

Anyway, I'm the schade in the thread now.

QuantumPotato has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Jun 14, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/874393234037932032

quote:

1) Release a working app wallet that gains in popularity.
2) Reliably process transactions until the app has wide enough adoptions AND [cryptocurrency value] is at an all time high.
3) When the moment is ripe, put up a message to allay people's fears, then start funneling all transactions to your own account and basically call it a game.

Memento has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Jun 14, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know the 'paper' value of bitcoins is really high, but isn't it still almost impossible to cash them out in any real volumes?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know the 'paper' value of bitcoins is really high, but isn't it still almost impossible to cash them out in any real volumes?
Pffffft, into what, paper money? Or better yet, give it to a "bank" to claim they're holding for you. No thanks, everyone knows the only true store of currency is weird encrypted bits of data I have in the cloud.*

*This is what buttcoiners actually believe.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not if you like drugs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Not if you like drugs.

Or computers. I think both Dell and newegg accept bitcoins. Build that server farm of your dreams

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Azhais posted:

Or computers. I think both Dell and newegg accept bitcoins. Build that server farm of your dreams

And play games on it, since Steam also accepts bitcoin now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Not if you like drugs.

Or boys :aatrek:.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Cugel the Clever posted:

Pffffft, into what, paper money? Or better yet, give it to a "bank" to claim they're holding for you. No thanks, everyone knows the only true store of currency is weird encrypted bits of data I have in the cloud.*

*This is what buttcoiners actually believe.

The Dunning Krugerrand.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

yaffle posted:

The Dunning Krugerrand.

Stellar.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/5Rfhv1W.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

10/10

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://i.imgur.com/6cp2nl4.gifv

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/thinkmariya/status/874675195067326464

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

What makes this an especially effective prank is that everyone's seen those youtube videos where the seatbelts really are too loose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIGz9CAX86s

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

An oath keeper just had a heart attack and died and at anti muslim rally lol

:bisonyes:

:vince:

Rah! has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Jun 14, 2017

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
A man got so angry at muslims his heart exploded?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

But to have a heart-attack you first must have a heart.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/RobPulseNews/status/874930450917142529

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Goddamn, I raced over here to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ultrabindu posted:

A man got so angry at muslims his heart exploded?

I don't like this new dark gritty Grinch reboot :gonk: