Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I can't help but be all BSG about my fleet and treat every lost ship as the death of a family member. :saddowns:

no tears. they died as martyrs :path:

e: here's what's so great about the hammer barrage:

the enforcer is overloaded from the first volley and the barrage launcher easily reloads in time for a second strike before it can recover. that enforcer is extremely dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

ee: good times with dominators.

Prav fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I still haven't been able to get an Odyssey since the patch and now I've grown tired of the game again. Honestly, as much as the updates over the years have added, a lot of tedium has been added with it. It feels like less than 10% of play time is spent on battles, with over half of those being with suicidal pirate junk fleets I wish you could just autocomplete. The rest of the time is spent holding shift while you go from station to station, looking for missions, officers, ships, hull mods and light needlers. Once you get a couple of cruisers and ITU the only thing in the game with actual value are level 1 steady officers. Leveling them is trivial. Actually finding them is the true end game grind.

I just want to concentrate on being a space bounty hunter. I've downloaded the Console Commands mod and I'm gonna see if that can help me. It looks like there are features to add officers and maybe update markets. Is there any way to remotely view missions?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
After throwing a ton of mods into a blender I discovered this gem:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

I'm so glad it's fully immersive and true to the god-modders intentions.
It doesn't have that FILTH telling us which mod it's from.

:frogout:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I think it's Noir/Artefact/Whatever cause I found this too:

thats one bad 'ombre

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
typo funny

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

artefact power ftw

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

:perfect:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MesoTroniK posted:

IMO blah blah, if you are going to mention what faction makes the weapon (which should be done most of the time). Do it right, in a in-universe friendly manner, so something like this.

"A custom-tooled battery of low-caliber firing assemblies, ready-made for point-defense duties. Efficient and especially powerful against warship-grade shield systems.

This weapon is manufactured - sans blueprint - by Tiandong Heavy Industries. A post-Collapse ""invention"", the Superheavy Machine Gun is a fusion of antiquated design practices with ancient weapons technology, made to work less through ingenuity but rather a long process of trial and error. This weapon is mocked by Tri-Tachyon suits for its primitive nature, but in this age of aggression, few would dare reject a nice, big gun bolted to their hull."

Doing it in any other way would result in me turning off the mod heh. Yes, I find it done in a sort of outside context manner pretty gross. After all, vanilla mentions weapon manufacturers for some things too. And guess what? It is done almost exactly like that example I just posted from THI.

Yo, ignore this guy. I'd rather have the information I want be easy to find that have to wade through a whole bunch of words salad technobabble poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno which mod added it but I found a hullmod that cuts maintenence in half in exchange for -33% peak operating time, and vastly increased recovery times. Hella good for logistics ships or stuff you won't deploy too often.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Yo, ignore this guy. I'd rather have the information I want be easy to find that have to wade through a whole bunch of words salad technobabble poo poo.

:yeah: I was actually a little surprised when I first started playing with mods and there wasn't a quick "this is from mod X" tooltip / UI item. Every game with modding and fiddly inventories should have it. If me knowing a space laser does precisely 183 damage units is OK I don't see how this is any worse.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I think it's Noir/Artefact/Whatever cause I found this too:

thats one bad 'ombre

Maybe this faction just isn’t fluent in Sector Standard.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The weapons catalog dude did a huge rip of Space Inhalants before writing that entry, don't judge.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

my kinda ape posted:

The weapons catalog dude did a huge rip of Space Inhalants before writing that entry, don't judge.

Volatiles are cheap and unregulated!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

MesoTroniK posted:

Doing it in any other way would result in me turning off the mod heh. Yes, I find it done in a sort of outside context manner pretty gross. After all, vanilla mentions weapon manufacturers for some things too. And guess what? It is done almost exactly like that example I just posted from THI.
So I googled "firearm catalog" and hit the second result and got this site, which pretty well reflects every other IRL weapon catalog, listing, and most sci-fi/fiction equivalents I have seen as far as their names go. I trust you'll see a trend in the naming conventions.

Now imagine trying to shop there without any of the manufacturer's names. Wouldn't it be aggravating to then go rifle (heh) through a bunch of different storefronts looking for that one .40 sidearm that you liked, or a replacement part for it, but you couldn't remember the number string of? Yeah, because referents are A Good Thing. Considering we're discussing weapons/ships in the Starsector equivalent of what I linked up there, the best-practices are something to consider a little longer before you make the "my immersion" argument.

Does that mean modders should change the naming conventions? No, of course not -- that's overkill since you're not working with much space there. But keep this in mind: the base game weapons are a universal constant -- there's no need for a descriptor for "this is base game" because they will always be there. And these factions have a lot of overlap with their weapons because they're cut from the same cloth. Mods? Not so much -- most mods add their own dozen+ weapons that fulfill many of the same roles with varying degrees of similarity. This makes them distinctive, sure, but when you have like 6+ installed, you start seeing the analogy with a real-life gun catalog become more and more accurate.

Let's be clear: giving people a standardized, easy-to-parse way to know what they're looking at is in no conceivable way a bad thing to do. Sacrificing clarity for vanity doesn't make for good design.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

And let me be clear here, until vanilla does what many of you are suggesting then I consider such a argument null and void.

For doing it like the THI example respects vanilla exactly. Regardless if the mod content is a "always there" or not doesn't matter. Anyways, to each their own.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Indeed, to each their own, and hopefully mod makers start making it very easy and quick to tell where weapons and ships came from instead of making us all waste our time browsing through flavor text to figure it out.

You can go modless or something if you hate it that much

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

As a modder myself, and the ones I speak to allows me to say this as a reasonable overall fact. Yes, most of us like to try to stick to vanilla style of doing things when applicable, and in universe friendly manners of presentation.

Most are on the same side of the argument I am making, so asi es la vida! Hah.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The problem with identifying the associated mod through the description in a natural way is that most mods have lots of weapons and ships with no descriptions at all (even some vanilla items are guilty of this, such as the ion beam or ion pulser).

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Let's be clear: giving people a standardized, easy-to-parse way to know what they're looking at is in no conceivable way a bad thing to do. Sacrificing clarity for vanity doesn't make for good design.

It doesn't look like this is worth scripting

Use your text editor of choice to open \Starsector\mods\ {mod name } \data\strings\descriptions.csv
Find and replace
code:
,WEAPON,"
with the text
code:
,WEAPON,"MODTAG - 

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Kraven Moorhed posted:

This. If someone doesn't want to spend the time to implement it themselves I can understand, but it just makes things more user friendly with zero downside.

Edit: by analogy, in KSP there's been several times that I've had no idea what mod added which parts - and if you're in a memory-restricted environment, sometimes you want to curate what you're loading. It's a different game, but as this game gets bigger (figuratively and literally) and especially if and when it gets a Steam release, it's going to get huge considering what it already is with pure word of mouth. This capability will have further use cases.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

MesoTroniK posted:

As a modder myself, and the ones I speak to allows me to say this as a reasonable overall fact. Yes, most of us like to try to stick to vanilla style of doing things when applicable, and in universe friendly manners of presentation.

I'm glad I could be on the ground floor for Starsector's own ReferenceGate.

Truly, no moddable game is complete until it has experienced mod drama stemming for pointless minutiae and condescending statements from modders about that minutiae.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

MesoTroniK posted:

That's not how this works. Your and others' prior modding chops are commendable, but that's not relevant to the point -- much like having a dozen Michelin star chefs give the Big Mac their seals of approval won't stop it from doing unthinkable and awful things to my digestive system. We're talking user experience, not implementation, and it's tough to get an objective idea of the former when you spend a lot of time doing the latter (and I speak as someone who's guilty of this kind of drift and uses feedback to stay on course). That's why critique and listening to your audience is essential to the creative process.

The current method of figuring out a modded weapon's mod origin through the description (when that's even deemed worth writing/designing for) is far more inconsistent than determining anything else about a weapon -- DPS, mount, magazine size, range, etc. It would be a ton easier for users if there were a standard for it, whether that would happen through the description, weapon name, tag, or even an additional field if that were possible (might require API shenanigans? i don't know code for poo poo). If there were a severe implementation hurdle I could understand, but that really just doesn't seem to be the case here.

I mean, it's obvious you've long since made up your mind about this. But like others are actually saying in this thread, there's very little downside to other modders just tossing some tag in there for us to reckon by. And if you're actually reflecting a consensus among the modders, I find it ironic that a modding community is unwilling to take a small step away from vanilla to make users' lives easier, requiring fixes like TheWetFish's find/replace. It's sort of missing the point, ya know?

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 16, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Oh god what have I done

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hm, yes. or i could do it the way i like it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i think i'm gonna do it the way i like it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Prav posted:

This is a much more intelligent response to this line of conversation than "lol no everyone agrees with me hah," in a thread where 3/4ths of the last page was people doing the exact opposite.

Do what you want, you're the content creators. Make your poo poo how you want to make it. Deal with criticism if it comes. Don't post weird passive-aggressive bullshit about it.

Don't sink to the level of Skyrim modding, basically.

And in the same vein, if the guy making the poo poo says "nah" to your reasoned discourse on why it'd be cool to have names at the beginning of descriptions or whatever, just let it go. It's not like making the changes we're talking about in here are particularly difficult for the user.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Garfu posted:

Oh god what have I done

Prav posted:

I'm gonna do you the way I like it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

That's not how this works. Your and others' prior modding chops are commendable, but that's not relevant to the point -- much like having a dozen Michelin star chefs give the Big Mac their seals of approval won't stop it from doing unthinkable and awful things to my digestive system. We're talking user experience, not implementation, and it's tough to get an objective idea of the former when you spend a lot of time doing the latter (and I speak as someone who's guilty of this kind of drift and uses feedback to stay on course). That's why critique and listening to your audience is essential to the creative process.

The current method of figuring out a modded weapon's mod origin through the description (when that's even deemed worth writing/designing for) is far more inconsistent than determining anything else about a weapon -- DPS, mount, magazine size, range, etc. It would be a ton easier for users if there were a standard for it, whether that would happen through the description, weapon name, tag, or even an additional field if that were possible (might require API shenanigans? i don't know code for poo poo). If there were a severe implementation hurdle I could understand, but that really just doesn't seem to be the case here.

I mean, it's obvious you've long since made up your mind about this. But like others are actually saying in this thread, there's very little downside to other modders just tossing some tag in there for us to reckon by. And if you're actually reflecting a consensus among the modders, I find it ironic that a modding community is unwilling to take a small step away from vanilla to make users' lives easier, requiring fixes like TheWetFish's find/replace. It's sort of missing the point, ya know?

Agreedo, friend.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Have you heard about "modding"? you can "mod" your pokedex info into the game so that it isnt anyone elses problem, that way everyone is happy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

that way everyone is happy

:wrong:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't the Artifacts/Looters mod by some chinese guy?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Isn't the Artifacts/Looters mod by some chinese guy?

Yeah, there's apparently a sizeable Chinese modding community for the game and every now and then one gets a machine translation or dude half remembering high school english a decade later type stuff.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
still laughing about MY IMMERSION tbh

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Three more spots in the tournament if anyone is interested. Surprisingly no one is yet taking Diable Avionics

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 16, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Now that I've determined that the only reason I has having trouble with the Karkinos earlier is due to changes in Blackrock weaponry I wasn't aware of (read: I'm poo poo at builds) I can't decide if I love smashing poo poo in that or if I like flying the Morpheus and being a ridiculous anime protagonist boat more

Someone help me decide because I want to bring them both along on Remnant smashing trips but holy gently caress is that expensive

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

but holy gently caress is that expensive